Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

So the next Bumblekast is actually stuff that lax brought up a few weeks ago, fittingly. I'll offer my spin of the wording, but I'll quote his original comment as well

Spoiler

Naugus's magic probably could've cured the Metal Virus if he hadn't been dead by then, so it's possible it otherwise could've been an easy out. On a side note, he never got to formally pitch Metal Virus for Archie due to the talks that lead to its cancellation.

Eggman, Amy, Tails, and Espio(?) never actually transformed on panel in an earlier draft. That they still get caught off screen is arguably scarier per Hitchcock.

The concept of the Zombots fusing together was never a factoid. However there was a scene where Tumble getting super smushed had a note saying it's a bit much--not that it stopped the artist.

Scourge supercharging Warp ring during Enerjak Reborn had special glow to indicate it's power; it didn't look like that in Scourge Lockdown because he didn't note it in script. Though it's hypothetically probable that Scourge's ring might've been lost/confiscated or Miles might've taken it. Also, it's easier to hop to the No Zone because it goes through all Zones.

The games that are non-canon are Knuckles Chaotix, Chronicles, and most likely the Olympics among others, as it's likely based on Sonic Teams involvement; Sonic R however most certainly is.

Shadow is no longer rules by Maria and forged his own path after learning who he is as seen in 06, irregardless any Team Dark or GUN affiliation. ("Him and Mephiles was totally not temptation on a hill" lol)

He has no plans to adapt TSR especially since Sega doesn't want them referencing the games too much and what little he has referenced was either negligible or sneaky.

Emerl's civilization is 4000 years and the Knuckles Tribe is still 3000 years due to Chronicles being non-canon; any future connection between them is up to Sega.

He was up for doing a Metal Gear book filling gaps, particularly bridging the original game and Phantom Pain around Venom Snake, but it fell through.

Stuff about Drogoon that I didn't note because I was editting and it was about pronunciations anyway. Just go read Drogoon.

The characters from the Archie Reboot are seemingly off the table due to some legal conundrum on top of Sega not liking referencing things. If they ever get reprint rights, he might try to persuade the editor to sneak a few out for cross promotion.

Resident Evil and Devil May Cry were left out of World's Unite because they were a bit too out of style in presentation. House of the Dead and Virtua Cop might've worked as parallels. He also wanted to find a place for Ristar, but he wasn't notable enough to try that hard.

Muttski is indeed The Mutt rather than a labrador.

On 8/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, Shadowlax said:
Spoiler

BumbleKast Questions I thought were interesting

Could nagus's magic cured the metal virus if it happened then?

Ian planned to have nagus die before all that.

Was the idea of having them sort of fuse into weird metalic goopy monsters on the question

Ian says no. But there was a scene planned where tangle was gonna get mushed, but sega said that's too harsh

Question about why scourge needed a super charged warp ring to travel from mobius to moebius and and the destructix didn't need it to travel from the no zone to mobeus

Traveling from world to world requires more oomph. The no zone is between world so its easier to travel. Compares it to walking from one person's house to another vs already being outside and walking into a home

Question about does he know what is and isn't canon.

Its less a list a more so a " ooops sega told me this isn't real " situation, but here is a short list

Knuckles and Chaotix isn't canon.

Sonic Chronicles isn't canon

Olympic series is probably not canon, if that isn't obvious

Other guy says it seems like most spin offs aren't considered canon. Ian Chimes in "yeah kinda"  and further goes to say that unless sonic team had a direct hand in it. You can safely say it isn't canon. Though occasionally weird things like Sonic R is actually canon. The list may change depending on who he asks at the time

Does shadow care about maria's wish anymore?

The impression Ian gets is that , coming out of shadow's game he wasn't going to be ruled by maria's dying wish or anyone. He was going to forge his own path. Self actualization and then he moves on. This bit is Particularly interesting he brings up 06 and talks about how mephilies says humanity will betray you and shadow goes " I don't care i'm going to do things my way" Ian Flynn says that's the direction he think's they are going with him. Current shadow maybe them misunderstanding why people liked 06 shadow. Oh no.

Does TSR come before or after forces?

He say's probably after. Probably shouldn't think so hard about it. Sega doesn't like them directly referencing the games

Takal's whole deal is apparently 3000 years ago. Emerl was found 4000 years ago. Chronicles suggest both were 4k but is now non canon. What's the deal?

Chroncles is non canon. Ignore it and the connection between gizoids and echdina.

Is there older material from archie you would like to reference? Can you?

He says Sega isn't into referencing past incarnations. Also archie might be in some legal limbo , isn't too sure. If things change in the future, he might talk to someone to see if he could do something. But until then, no.

On 8/17/2020 at 5:44 PM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I wonder how Naugus would’ve went out, knowing that?

Would really like to see the Nocturnus tho. Is that still banned with IDW, or can they use it with their own liberties?

It's possible he might've died either to the virus itself, due to something going on with Phage/Eclipse/Null, or possibly in an escape attempt from GUN.

My mind more wonders towards why killing him off was gonna be a factor, given the outline of issues he posted on Twitter.

31 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Tangle's ditzy and more fight happy attitude make her different from Amy already, not that Amy was all that much like that to since SA1.

And the "normal one" who wants to "get out there and help people" is too general of a thing to stick it with just one character.

Normal one just means citizen in this context because Tangle has an actual ability not a weapon.

Fair enough.

There's still Charmy and Marine, though.

26 minutes ago, Slashy said:

How is Tangle different from Charmy?

24 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She's not a hyperactive 6 year old...

I honestly didn't see this exchange.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

That's a gross underselling of her character.

I like Amy. The post I was responding to ("Ironically, old Amy who is obessed with Sonic and is chasing after him is feminist, because Amy is the one initiating.") was silly, as were the previous posts whining about Rey in Star Wars and the "political correctness". There was nothing feminist about the old Amy, the Amy of Sonic CD. She was the only girl in the series and her defining traits were having a crush and getting kidnapped. 

Amy's crush on Sonic should always be part of her character, but it's out of touch with reality to frame that original depiction as a feminist portrayal (while also complaining about Star Wars having a girl hero).

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna argue if Amy is a feminist hero or not, but I feel like the only reason people defend her newer characterization is less because it's actually good, but because it's not the characterization people hated before. I notice the most praise Amy gets is "At least she's not X anymore". It's extremely reductive and doesn't actually highlight any positives about the character. Subtracting a negative trait doesn't suddenly mean a positive trait replaces it, it just means you got rid of the negative thing. 

So if the biggest praise you can give Amy is "At least she's not X", then that honestly says how lacking she is currently. I'm not going to defend how she was before, because she was really bad. But like, that should be all the more reason for improvement...not taking away key character traits. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

He was up for doing a Metal Gear book filling gaps, particularly bridging the original game and Phantom Pain around Venom Snake, but it fell through.

That explains why he once tweeted out a red exclamation mark with a Knowing Smile hashtag. Kinda sucks it didn't but also I'm not sure Ian is quite the type to do a Kojima story and I say that as a raving fanboy who love to see him write anything. 

The characters from the Archie Reboot are seemingly off the table due to some legal conundrum on top of Sega not liking referencing things. If they ever get reprint rights, he might try to persuade the editor to sneak a few out for cross promotion.

I mean...not to make any false hope or anything but Archie Comics just put the mainline Archie book on a hiatus which may not be a great sign for Archie as a company. Not that I'm rooting for it or anything because a lot of people would be put out of a job but considering their horrible track record with...everything I can't say I'd be surprised. 

Resident Evil and Devil May Cry were left out of World's Unite because they were a bit too out of style in presentation. 

Yeah. The M-Rated franchises probably wouldn't have been a great fit in a kids comic. I personally think it was already pushing it a little with "Sexy Silvia."

Sigh, those constant delays forced me to break my sacred rule of not reading preview pages.

So first of all: that thing with Jewel? I totally called it months ago.
Thank you, hold your applause. I expect IDW to hire me any day now.
Making next prediction: Sonic Amnesia? Someone will point out that it's just like with Eggman. It's how Flynn copes after making questionable move: by lampshading it.

Secondly I see a new discussion brewed about Amy. And if there is one thing we can agree is that we don't agree about Amy.

@Kuzu already nailed why I don't agree with opposite site
Sega has tendency of over-correcting things (Sonic friends suck? Let's remove them all) and Amy is same thing. I know old Amy sucked in few games, but Flynn already made her work in in Archie or even IDW #2. The whole trick is to make her cute and sweet, and not psychotic.

I'll go step further than most and underline that Amy's crush on Sonic is her most important trait and needs to be preserved. Without it she's kinda generic, even when well written. Besides shows like Ladybug and My Hero Academia (Uraraka) do play similar notes and people like it.

Amy as leader of resistance 1) just isn't really her being "her" 2) failed to do anything interesting. She had enough time to do something that would change our minds. Frankly I still find commander Knuckles to be more interesting idea, because it's such dramatic change for Knuckles that it forces introspection of the character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy's characterization hasn't actually created any red flags for me in this book, but her pushing her responsibilities off on someone else would make me raise an eyebrow. Depends on how it's handled. Nothing was actually stopping her from doing field work with Sonic before zombots so I don't see why she couldn't just start again now that it's over. I think Ian is a little too reactionary to criticism sometimes but honestly I have that problem with a lot of writers nowadays so it's not just him. 

If SoA are still intent on framing Amy as their strong feminist role model I suggest they fucking stop and just introduce more prominent female characters like I said some months ago. 

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Amy's characterization hasn't actually created any red flags for me in this book, but her pushing her responsibilities off on someone else would make me raise an eyebrow. Depends on how it's handled. Nothing was actually stopping her from doing field work with Sonic before zombots so I don't see why she couldn't just start again now that it's over. I think Ian is a little too reactionary to criticism sometimes but honestly I have that problem with a lot of writers nowadays so it's not just him. 

If SoA are still intent on framing Amy as their strong feminist role model I suggest they fucking stop and just introduce more prominent female characters like I said some months ago. 

I think SoA is doing that, I think that's why you end up with tangle and whisper, sticks too. They are just also pushing and changing amy. I think SoA is more aware than most that young girls is a really good market for sonic and have been pushing for that. Neither of these are inhernetly bad. And there's something to say about how when the girls are written by anyone but sega of japan they are generally better characters. That said they aren't perfect. I'm still very suspicious they aren't fond of rouge.

If I may ask, what do you mean by reactionary

Reactionary as in being very sensitive to criticism and quickly changing the thing that's being criticized in order to appeal to readers.

In this case, I'm sure Ian has gotten tons of responses about Amy and this is him responding to it...no matter how questionable it might be.

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

Reactionary as in being very sensitive to criticism and quickly changing the thing that's being criticized in order to appeal to readers.

In this case, I'm sure Ian has gotten tons of responses about Amy and this is him responding to it...no matter how questionable it might be.

Pretty much this. Amy getting super involved in the resistance just made sense to me since she already liked helping strangers in the games. I'm not against the change or anything, just feels clunky. 

We live in an age where its very easy to communicate with creators to address percieved issues in the story.

But...uh this the Sonic fanbase and criticism tends to be...all over the place.

While I get the criticisms surrounding Amy, I honestly didn't think it was so bad that it needed such a quick response but eh. Would have just preferred Flynn to stick to his guns and just gradually move Amy away from that role, instead of just shifting it onto someone else in the span of a single issue. 

The way its happening here isn't bad but it makes it feel like a response to the backlash than an actual storytelling decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I could gather from Ian's comments about Amy in his BumbleKasts, I don't think his dropping Amy's leadership was him being reactionary to criticism but is actually his storytelling decision for Amy. He did answer my question regarding Amy in an episode by stating that she hadn't been leading effectively (in comparison to Sally at least, whom he claims would've managed the Metal Virus a lot better) but merely doing the best she could with her role. So, with that in mind, I think the whole leader stint was Ian simply wanting to rid Knuckles from "resistance leader" role but, since he couldn't just drop the Resistance/Restoration itself, had Amy take up the mantle out of lack of other good options. With the Metal Virus over and the comic switching to shorter, character-focused stories, it was the best opportunity to relieve Amy of her own burden of leadership 

If anything, I would've thought that the leadership role would've been kept up because of the positive feedback lol I felt like only I and few others were the ones really disliking IDW!Amy, most others from what I've seen thought IDW was another good take on Amy (because of course they do 😑 ). So, very good thing Ian is dropping this role (and doing so right now instead of over a slow and steady course: sorry Kuzu, but I'm not waiting more years for Amy to be herself again) despite the positive reception, and I'm only hoping that we'll see a true rerailment for Amy in IDW. Of course, I'll still wish that Amy was characterized more like her actual self since the beginning of IDW, rather than after 30 Issues. Even Issue 2 was marred by Amy's "I kept things organized", making commands with military jargon, and repeatedly requesting Sonic to rejoin the Resistance cause "attacking from a centralized point is more effective" (which, I always wanted to say, was no less annoying than her repeatedly requesting him for a date)

On that note, to those who felt Amy's role up to this point suited her because of her compassionate side, what makes it more effective for helping people than doing things like Sonic always did; that being traveling about and personally helping the masses wherever she goes? Just saying, it's a lot more suiting to Amy's character and a lot more interesting than working from behind a desk and doing paperwork 

I value good storytelling over rerailing characters to how I want them to be. I understand why this would be appealing to you and other Amy fans, but I feel people tend to ignore the actual quality of the writing in this case.

I'm not even against the decision itself, I just feel like it's extremely abrupt and lacking in much cohesion for the sake of moving Amy away from the role.

I'll withhold judgment until the full issue is out, but I'm just saying that its pretty clunky is all. 

I felt a similar way about how he just had Knuckles unceremoniously drop the role. But Knuckles being kind of irresponsible fits his character somewhat than it does someone like Amy.

I don't really think it matters. Like IMO anyway, she wasn't doing anything in that role of note or was particularly interesting. To be excruciatingly blunt this is like an adventure book from an adventure video game series and I want to see the characters go in adventures first and foremost. While I do not mind characters being apart of teams and organizations, Amy's role felt restrictive. It felt like she was put in that role because he couldn't have vector in that role like he wanted and to by his own admission he didn't feel like knuckles fit and sega wanted him on his island anyway. He being there despite fitting somewhat felt like an afterthought and she didn't really do anything of note in that role specifically.

You got this bug girl who isn't an adventuring type owns a business knows how to handle a budget is genuinely caring ect, her leading some restoration group is totally fine. Lets amy go out and do adventures and stuff

While I do not agree with all the criticisms lodged at amy in this book ( particularly the ones saying she's just sally, that's a whole misogynistic mess that i'm not getting into right now) I do agree that role kinda felt like it was holding her back. All it did was allow her to act as an exposition spouting character for a video game so crap the comic that was supposed to follow it up abandoned it by issue 6 and has essentially pretended outside of 1 reference by eggman that it didn't exist.  And I think amy is more interesting than that.

So you got this new character sticking around, doing stuff expanding her characterization and and expanding the world. While amy goes out and explores it and goes on the adventures people come here to see.

Seems like a win win here

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Good storytelling doesn't matter in a comic book?

It does. No one said it didnt. However I have expectation of the type of good stories I want out of this series. Now I don't mind deviations actually I would actively advocate for that. Heck , I would say at this point, I prefer deviations. I wish Ian would deviate more on his own habits. Thankfully there's a new writer to help with that. However, if those deviations don't really produce anything of note or anything interesting I would prefer something more usual for the series. Because if you aren't doing anything with the idea, its just a vague concept with potential with no actual narrative to go along with it.  And to be blunt, there was no good story telling with amy. Just good character writing, and she can be written as a good character not being involved with the resistance.

She hasn't done much of anything, maybe she can go out and do shit now.

14 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

It does. No one said it didnt. However I have expectation of the type of good stories I want out of this series. Now I don't mind deviations actually I would actively advocate for that. Heck , I would say at this point, I prefer deviations. I wish Ian would deviate more on his own habits. Thankfully there's a new writer to help with that. However, if those deviations don't really produce anything of note or anything interesting I would prefer something more usual for the series. Because if you aren't doing anything with the idea, its just a vague concept with potential with no actual narrative to go along with it.  And to be blunt, there was no good story telling with amy. Just good character writing, and she can be written as a good character not being involved with the resistance.

She hasn't done much of anything, maybe she can go out and do shit now.

I'd honestly prefer they actually did do something with it rather than just default back on the stuff that came before. That's a very faulty mindset fans fall into, that things need to be like how they were before to be good. Mostly because while fans know something is good, they generally don't know why it's good to begin with, and what you end up with are just pale imitations of the stuff that came before in an attempt at appealing to fans over...actually making good storytelling.

I'm not saying Amy was particularly interesting as a commander, but they're axing it before they even really did anything with it.

18 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Maybe you need to lower your expectations? I mean has any storytelling in this comic been on par with SA1,SA2, Battle, or Unleashed?

This comic in particular? I mean yeah but this comic hasn't been to exciting, an we must keep in mind that its hard for a comic to compete with a video game. All of those games you mention tell their story through gameplay as well so while those stories are technically worse they have more to offer. Its one of the reasons I think the unleashed arc in the archie comic was a mistake it was trying to tell a story without the gameplay and without that gameplay the story was rather dull.

As for my expectations, my expectations aren't that high. They are about as high as the post archie reboot set them. And I have the belief that this book given time can generally meet that. I just think that in this scenario, they weren't being met with amy. Why not switch it up

That's my whole point

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

This comic in particular? I mean yeah but this comic hasn't been to exciting, an we must keep in mind that its hard for a comic to compete with a video game. All of those games you mention tell their story through gameplay as well

Shouldn't a comic be better at telling a story than a game because it can dedicate all of its resource towards the story where as a game needs to accomodate the aspects of gameplay. Also those games tell most of their stories through cutscenes which is comparable to how a comic tells its stories.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'd honestly prefer they actually did do something with it rather than just default back on the stuff that came before.

I agree.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'm not saying Amy was particularly interesting as a commander, but they're axing it before they even really did anything with it.

Why should fans have to wait 3 years plus in an adventure book to wait for that. This book has existed for three years. Amy has done nothing for 3 years. That's why its being axed. Because people the people in charge see's its been three years nothing has been done with a lot of these characters they abandoned the initial setting constraints why was amy still commander. There's no reason forces ain't relevant to that narrative and you can have a background character manage that in the background whilist you actually have amy do things her fans enjoy. Because they have been literally waiting for 3 years.

If things haven't popped off in three years in a book like this, its time to change pace and sometimes changing pace is going back to something old and reliable whilst you figure out what new you want to do.

2 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Shouldn't a comic be better at telling a story than a game because it can dedicate all of its resource towards the story where as a game needs to accomodate the aspects of gameplay. Also those games tell most of their stories through cutscenes which is comparable to how a comic tells its stories.

Depends on the comic , depends on the game, depends on the audience.

I think the black arms stuff in the comic, done much better in the comic.

I thought the unleashed stuff was made way worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

Video games and comic books tell  their stories entirely differently; comics are mainly visual and rely more on dialogue and art to sell the story. Video games are generally higher budget, but the story is told varies. Sonic doesn't really use it's gameplay for story all that much though. It's story is pretty much told almost exclusively through cutscenes. And I'd honestly say the Unleashed adaptation was an improvement for actually delving into the impact it has on Sonic's psyche with the Werehog, something pretty much glossed over in the game. It severely downplayed Chip's development and involvement, but I'm not gonna say it was completely worthless. 

Why should fans have to wait 3 years plus in an adventure book to wait for that. This book has existed for three years. Amy has done nothing for 3 years. That's why its being axed. Because people the people in charge see's its been three years nothing has been done with a lot of these characters they abandoned the initial setting constraints why was amy still commander. There's no reason forces ain't relevant to that narrative and you can have a background character manage that in the background whilist you actually have amy do things her fans enjoy. Because they have been literally waiting for 3 years.

If things haven't popped off in three years in a book like this, its time to change pace and sometimes changing pace is going back to something old and reliable whilst you figure out what new you want to do.

If you have been in this franchise for any amount of time, then you should understand why letting fan expectations dictate the direction of a product isn't inherently a good thing. 

I'll say it once again; fans, more often than not because it is by no means universal, generally do not understand what is it that they want. They might want something, but don't really understand the particulars of it. This is why having such reactionary writing is faulty, the writing is almost entirely at the whims of the fans. It's running the asylum basically and that has a whole host of issues. 

I think the black arms stuff in the comic, done much better in the comic.

I thought the unleashed stuff was made way worse.

Shadow also had an incredibly messy story with Iizuka taking on the writing himself for the first and only time and writing around a confusing branching path system.

Unleashed had a great story to start from a seasoned writer from Sonic X.

It is not surprising that the really bad story was easy to salvage and the really good story was hard to adapt.

23 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Shadow also had an incredibly messy story with Iizuka taking on the writing himself for the first and only time and writing around a confusing branching path system.

Unleashed had a great story to start from a seasoned writer from Sonic X.

It is not surprising that the really bad story was easy to salvage and the really good story was hard to adapt.

I actually think unleashes story is kind of lacking in a myriad ways and the reason it was hard to adapt is because the good video game kinda made you ignore some flaws.

23 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Video games and comic books tell  their stories entirely differently; comics are mainly visual and rely more on dialogue and art to sell the story. Video games are generally higher budget, but the story is told varies. Sonic doesn't really use it's gameplay for story all that much though. It's story is pretty much told almost exclusively through cutscenes. And I'd honestly say the Unleashed adaptation was an improvement for actually delving into the impact it has on Sonic's psyche with the Werehog, something pretty much glossed over in the game. It severely downplayed Chip's development and involvement, but I'm not gonna say it was completely worthless. 

If you enjoyed it more power to you. I found it dull I have never really had an interest in sonic's psyche in regards to that.

If you have been in this franchise for any amount of time, then you should understand why letting fan expectations dictate the direction of a product isn't inherently a good thing. 

I'll say it once again; fans, more often than not because it is by no means universal, generally do not understand what is it that they want. They might want something, but don't really understand the particulars of it. This is why having such reactionary writing is faulty, the writing is almost entirely at the whims of the fans. It's running the asylum basically and that has a whole host of issues. 

So I agree with you , to an extent. While there are certainly things fan imput makes better, I do agree that there are a lot of fans who don't understand why the like things. Or even why things work and these are things you need to consider when taking criticism.

That said I don't think this is that at all. This is not " the inmates running the asylum " this is " you have a flat tire"

The fanbase let them know that 3 almost 4 years in this comic she's done mostly nothing besides spout exposition from a video game that stopped being relevant to the comic 6 issues in. And then the writing staff went " oops, that tire is flat " and then they fixed the tire. I have no issue with people not having interest in a story set up that has done nothing and wanting rid of it. That's fine. Its been 3 almost 4 years and she's done nothing. This is a comic adventure book and no one should have to wait 3 to 4 years for that. YEARS. Their requests of " she should get out of the place that isn't letting her do a thing so she can do a thing " are super valid. Fans asking for a thing isn't " the inmates running the asylum"  sometimes its pointing out making a multi year zombie story the 2 year into the comic doesn't allow for a lot of characters to do shit. And the writers notice.

• Thumbs Up 1

*shrug* I'll wait and see what happens then and hope people are satisfied. Like I said, I personally never had a problem with Amy and thought she could have still played commander while going on adventures. But if her fans are crying this much about it to warrant a change, there's nothing I can really do about that.  

1 hour ago, Slashy said:

Maybe you need to lower your expectations? I mean has any storytelling in this comic been on par with SA1,SA2, Battle, or Unleashed?

1 hour ago, Slashy said:

I don't think Sonic Battle is good example for your argument, not only because of certain character moments and incorrect tutorials, but because the cutscenes are all non moving images and things happen that we don't actually see or completely understand until the characters give more exposition.

• Thumbs Up 1