Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Are they positive?

Also, I have a question: will the comics be out on Google books or Google play? Whatever it is. I can only buy google cards to pay for these comics until I get my hands on them physically, which I'm desperate about.

Edit: Yes, they are positive, I'm glad for Ian, I'm sure the series will pick up even more gas in the next issues!

58 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Are they positive?

Also, I have a question: will the comics be out on Google books or Google play? Whatever it is. I can only buy google cards to pay for these comics until I get my hands on them physically, which I'm desperate about.

Edit: Yes, they are positive, I'm glad for Ian, I'm sure the series will pick up even more gas in the next issues!

Yeah, the books are on Google Play, but they a little hard to search for. Look up IDW.

tumblr_p6mstnSpMP1rplhyso1_1280.jpg

Better quality version of one of issue one's covers. This one was done by Devin Craft.

• Thumbs Up 3

Comixology was being a bit slow for me, but that was because it was trying to update itself while I was using it.
The book itself is perfectly fine, having a good amount of action, character, and "I don't appreciate your sass, Tails" moments. For some reason I'm getting a Lord Drakkon vibe from this evil guy, though I don't really have much experience of Drakkon to really be saying that.

First issue seemed good, about what I expected out of it really, plays it fairly safe and giving due consideration for it potentially being someone's first Sonic comic etc.  I like that it's using the game series canon as a starting point too.

As someone who's never managed to keep up with Archie, it was pleasant for me to enjoy a Sonic comic without there being a ton of baggage from past storylines that I don't have the full picture of, lol.  While I empathise entirely with those who lament the end of Archie (and I'm also slightly there with you since I'm still grossly unsatisfied by Mega Drive's cancellation), for me personally, this reboot is great.

• Thumbs Up 7

Same. There is a lot more positivity. Well... I read it, this time I had a good read: it's very simple but it's for everyone, including non fans, if you had issues catching up with Archie this is perfect, that comic (the reboot) tried to please everyone with world building and cramming every possible new and old character. Here the art is great, there is some continuity with the games and nods, great action coreography, awesome writing and lines by Sonic and Tails, who are both portrayed well, dialogue is fresh, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that it's light on story, not having Eggman is felt heavily, it's really a bold move, even focusing on just 2 characters, but hey there are 2 cool mysteries: where is the doctor? And who is controlling the badnik forces? It's a light start to a great comic, hopefully they increase the steam next week!

1 minute ago, Jack the Maniac said:

not having Eggman is felt heavily, it's really a bold move, even focusing on just 2 characters. It's a light start to a great comic, hopefully they increase the steam next week!

This proves how Eggman adds vibes, which makes his absence noticed.

I wonder what his status quo be since he (probably) will not have Egg Bosses with him.

So I read the first issue. I thought it was ok, but my main criticism it felt like it was cut short halfway. Maybe because it’s just setting up the new continuity but I hope it doesn’t become a recurring feeling.

It feels nice to say that a new Sonic comic issue has released once more.

Also, it seems that issue #1's selling out in some places.

• Thumbs Up 2

So when are we getting the 2nd issue preview? I need more of the comic, since I had read the leaked version (my mistake, ah!).

I also have a theory about the big bad:

Spoiler

It could be either Wendy or Battle Kukku Lord if it's obscure. I wanted that guy from the concept art, but okay. There are no real clues but the word "batallion" is something that Battle Kukku would say, so that's my guess!

The Skylanders preview at the end was a good read, but I can't! I can't start another series or I'll be overloaded with comics!

12 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

So when are we getting the 2nd issue preview?

Going by when the preview for the first issue was released officially, Friday. 

Kinda hoped there'd be a bit more in the book itself, but eh. It's still fine. Still think it's a bit bland, but.. it's fine.

Hmm, I bought the SEGA Shop bundle and they said it would include a digital copy, but for the life of me, I have no idea how I am supposed to get it.

3 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I also have a theory about the big bad:

Reveal hidden contents

It could be either Wendy or Battle Kukku Lord if it's obscure. I wanted that guy from the concept art, but okay. There are no real clues but the word "batallion" is something that Battle Kukku would say, so that's my guess!

The problem with that is that 

Spoiler

they could be considered on the Classic side, since it's from the early days of Sonic. Therefore, they might be be Classic-locked just like Mighty and Ray...

...but I like how you think. It could happen, who knows?

26 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

The problem with that is that 

Reveal hidden contents

they could be considered on the Classic side, since it's from the early days of Sonic. Therefore, they might be be Classic-locked just like Mighty and Ray...

...but I like how you think. It could happen, who knows?

Do we really need to spoiler theories?

Spoiler

Maybe it's not considered a part of the "classic brand" as long as it's not currently used in the new classic games.

• Fist Bump 1

I just bought a digital copy of issue #1, here are my thoughts.

I liked it, it may have been simple, but it was still fun, and kept my attention better than any of the Archie comics ever did. It kept the focus on characters from the games, instead of taking too much time away from them with a bunch of made up characters.

I thought the interactions between Tails and Sonic were great. Heck, it kind of makes me mad Tails was nothing like that in Sonic Forces. He was actually heroic and useful in this comic, it makes me wonder why he wasn't made to be playable. 

I also liked the teaser at the end, it sets up a sense of peril for the next issue. 

As one who personally found the Archie comics to be disappointing, I think these new comics are off to a great start. I look forward to issue 2.

• Nice Smile 1