Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

On the topic of Classic Sonic's appearance in the game: I hope SEGA gives a redeeming purpose for his existence, not only plot-wise, but in the aspect of gameplay also. Even though Classic Sonic embodies traditional 2D gameplay style, I would like to see it expressed in a fresh and exciting way. Not like the original Sonic games, because we have Mania for that. Not simply 3D-ifying older Sonic elements, as Generations did that. I'm interested in what SEGA has up their sleeves for Classic, especially since they stress how this isn't "Generations 2".

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

I don't think the new gameplay will be brand new, though... Maybe is Adventure styled.

"Glorious"? ... oh.

We'll see. I imagine that it could be some kind of "team gameplay" or maybe a new character.

No matter what it is, in Sonic Team I trust. :)

And what's wrong with the word "Glorious"?

6 hours ago, Ajavalo said:

Something about the gameplay that almost nobody seems to have noticed: there are no Homing Attack reticules!

Assuming this will remain in the final game, do you thing the Homing Attack is better without the blatant lock-ons on targets?

The entire HUD was disabled for this demo, but I'm sure they'll still come back. I hope they do because they're a good addition and it would be utterly ridiculous to remove them altogether.

Think about it, if you're going to mash the jump button to send yourself flying at an enemy, you'll be better off knowing exactly what you're going to be flying at. Good design.

They could give an option to disable the HUD, like a pro mode basically. (Though, I have no idea why anyone would want to limit themselves like this)

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, TheChris110 said:

We'll see. I imagine that it could be some kind of "team gameplay" or maybe a new character.

No matter what it is, in Sonic Team I trust. :)

And what's wrong with the word "Glorious"?

Team gameplay sounds really good. If done right. But it was confirmed that Amy, Knuckles and some Chaotix won't be playable... But they didn't say nothing about Shadow, Blaze, Cream, Rouge, Silver, Omega... (I hope they are in the game at least.)

Nothing... Just reminds me of early Sonic Mania topic... Don't ask.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Just reminds me of early Sonic Mania topic...

I'm not sure a parody would do it justice, so I'm not going there. [And I'm not entirely it would be acceptable to do]

Right now I'm just looking at footage of this game and thinking how Classic might be implemented with all the background detail. I know it's only one level that might be showing off a city under attack, but on a 2D plane it would be more difficult showing that stuff off like how it is in this footage.
Is debris became a stage hazard, as well as the occasional missile, that would work. As would what the footage does - that being a huge spring jump with no level geometry in view.

As for the new playstyle, I still think having a team-up style would work in some way. I've had an idea for a Generations 2.0 in which friend characters are usable in the stages, though only one friend can be brought along. It probably wouldn't work for all characters - especially if some are elsewhere - but characters like Omega, Shadow, Vector have powers that would work. Of course, if Wisps are back for more than just boost energy, there's no way that would happen. Characters can still play similar to each other and be that third style though, so long as only aesthetic changes differentiated them [of course, I'm sure some would hate that, and critics would probably tear the game apart for it].

• Thumbs Up 1

This game needs 4 things to be a great title and maybe the best 3D Sonic game:

- an improved Modern gameplay with better fps ,  smoother handling and a bit more 3D platform

- right phisics for classic sonic and some unique power ups so it differentiates from Mania

- A third gameplay with Dreamcast Sonic with an Adventure kind of gameplay

- An interesting plot a la Sonic Adventure

... about the 3 gameplays there could be a logic

classic = all 2D

dreamcast = all 3D

modern = both 3D and 2D

and then at the end of the game there's a giant time ereasing stuff and Sonic Team does a soft reboot of the franchise 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, DaN said:

and then at the end of the game there's a giant time ereasing stuff and Sonic Team does a soft reboot of the franchise 

Why exactly do we need a soft reboot? What would come out of that?

If Sonic's friends aren't playable and it's just Sonic like they say, then I imagine Boom Sonic is the third gameplay style. Only other thing I can think of is maybe the Tornado sections are returning to travel around and/or gun down some of Eggman's army.

3 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Why would they have two Modern Sonics? 

You see, people say that, but wasn't SEGA planning on having Dreamcast Sonic in Sonic Generations? If SEGA sees Dreamcast Sonic as another Sonic, and Sonic Generations has been divided into 3 Eras (Classic, Dreamcast, and Modern), then why do fans still insist that Dreamcast Sonic is Modern Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 1

That story seems inconsistent anyway, wasn't Ryan's potential recast when they did the big changeover for the current cast (so his first game would've been Free Riders, like Roger)?  And he was interested in returning, but didn't because SEGA required him to relocate and/or do something crappy contract-related which would basically make it impossible for him to get work outside of Sonic or something.

7 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Why exactly do we need a soft reboot? What would come out of that?

Because Sonic's entire lore is basically screwed. There is almost no consistency in this franchise... from a serious rpg plot to a super mario wanna be, passing through kissing princess and giant amusement parks in space with cute child like aliens. From "damn fourth chaos emerald" to "Baldy mc Nosehair"

I'd like them to build some continuity, not overcomplex storylines or meta-plots, just a tad more coherence 

7 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

You see, people say that, but wasn't SEGA planning on having Dreamcast Sonic in Sonic Generations? If SEGA sees Dreamcast Sonic as another Sonic, and Sonic Generations has been divided into 3 Eras (Classic, Dreamcast, and Modern), then why do fans still insist that Dreamcast Sonic is Modern Sonic?

But Sega doesn't see him as another Sonic. In a lot of promotional art showing which year the Sonic was introduced, Classic is 1991, Modern is 1998, and Boom 2014. And they were divided up into three eras? Not really. You only had two stages for the "Dreamcast Era" as opposed to Classic which had 3 and Modern which had 4. They were just stages ordered by when they came out, not eras.

3 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Yeah, SEGA don't see him as another Sonic.

*pics*

So uh, yeah. Also worth noting this mythical Dreamcast Sonic never actually showed up in Generations in the end, innit.

Eh, fair enough. But I don't see why they wouldn't put him in Sonic Forces since his gameplay style alone is different enough.

If Dreamcast Sonic is not a thing then I'm fine with Boom Sonic, but only with an good Adventure like gameplay

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Azoo said:

The third character is just gonna be Sonic from the near future.

He has a new gameplay style that blends both classic and modern gameplay, so that there's a lot of slopey platforming / spinning as well as drifting, quick stepping and maybe boosting as well. At the end of the game, we find that Sonic decides to take some of his future self's advice and take a thing or two from his past to keep moving forward. The series then never does this multiple Sonics thing again, and the gameplay from here on out is just the third Sonic's style.

...I can dream, can't I.

If I was Sonic Team I would totally stealth put that shit in the game to gauge interest.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

During the panel, they stressed the importance of the forces of good and the forces of evil. That, and something else that I'm not going to talk about, leads me to think that Eggman might be playable. And I've had this suspicion since before Project 2017 was even announced last year. I could be terribly wrong, but things would certainly add up if I'm right. 

I remember Aaron saying something along the lines of "and remember that Eggman has his own forces", which suggested to me that one of his side will be playable. My thoughts were more a long the lines of a new ally or robot of his (ie. the new character), or even Metal Sonic, but playing as Eggman himself again would definitely make sense.

I'd also love Blaze to be playable, as Azoo posted. That feels too good to be true though. =[

3 hours ago, Celestia said:

I still think Eggman just learned his lesson from Generations and instead of just removing the Sonics from time, he threw Sonic forward instead. And since Eggman didn't go back in time to alter things, I guess that didn't result in the whole white void thing?

It's possible they did bring White Space back but just haven't shown it off yet, but I hope not because I'd rather they do something else for the hub if there is one. Plus it'd be kind of a shame to have this whole world taken over by Eggman and then not have Sonic be in it outside of levels / bosses.

I was thinking the same thing, since Eggman (or "Robotnik" as he was still known) did exactly that near the start of the UK comic.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

But Sega doesn't see him as another Sonic. In a lot of promotional art showing which year the Sonic was introduced, Classic is 1991, Modern is 1998, and Boom 2014. And they were divided up into three eras? Not really. You only had two stages for the "Dreamcast Era" as opposed to Classic which had 3 and Modern which had 4. They were just stages ordered by when they came out, not eras.

Except the trailers for Sonic Generation explicitly state there are 3 Eras and each have 3 stages. Yeah, Sonic Heroes wasn't on the Dreamcast, but SEGA considers it part of the Dreamcast Era.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Aaron saying that. Would be interesting if we have to play the dark side again like in SA2, as long as it's not boring to play. 

Come on guys, you really expect them to make a Sonic game with the title "Sonic Forces", and put anything less than three Sonics on the boxart and promotional material?

Dunno about the "forces of good and evil" bit, as that isn't really saying anything about playable characters so far, and more what the game's set up villains will be, (as well as requiring more than one "force" in that case as well :U) but expecting anything other than a third Sonic at this point is even more of a pipe dream than Adventure Sonic tbh.

It just wouldn't "work".

An SA2 situation with rival forces for each playstyle would be cool, though, gotta admit. Might feel a little forced, though, considering one side will feel kinda superfluous without Shadow and Rouge's ambiguity, but who knows...

Wasn't a guy on Twitter saying he saw half an hour of Forces gameplay? Where is him and does he have anything else to add?

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wasn't a guy on Twitter saying he saw half an hour of Forces gameplay? Where is him and does he have anything else to add?

There's an embargo and if he were to say anything, that'll be a breach in the contract he had to sign.

• Thumbs Up 1