Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wasn't a guy on Twitter saying he saw half an hour of Forces gameplay? Where is him and does he have anything else to add?

Whoever he is, I doubt he's allowed to say anything new.

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wasn't a guy on Twitter saying he saw half an hour of Forces gameplay? Where is him and does he have anything else to add?

Press guy from Polygon or some other site. Whatever he's seen, he's not allowed to discuss at the moment.

EDIT: Jesus guys slow down lol

Edited by Blue Blood
gotta go faster

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Press guy from Polygon or some other site. Whatever he's seen, he's not allowed to discuss at the moment.

EDIT: Jesus guys slow down lol

Aren't we supposed to get more info on Monday? I don't know why people can't just wait two more days.

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

It's the first fucking stage dude.  I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to use air boosting to get over wide gaps later in the game, it's not considered a base level skill - that's why it was introduced halfway through Sonic Unleashed (and only used for optional/speedrunning routes in Generations, which was overall designed to be an easier game, seemingly).

Yeah seriously, have you tried getting that shortcut at the beginning of Chemical Plant Act 2 in Generations? That things a bitch to get to, but it's so satisfying when you make it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It was Nick Robinson (a.k.a. Babylonian) from Polygon (who is a very very cool internet personality whom I recommend y'all follow on twitter etc, he's quite the Sonic fan and prone to putting generous amounts of funny references to Sonic in his entertainment works (Car Boys, CoolGames Inc., Touch the Skyrim etc)).

He DID say in his tweet that he couldn't talk about it until "tomorrow" on the night of the SXSW panel though and nothing came of that.

• Thumbs Up 8

That's why I've asked. I recall he saying "ask me tomorrow", and that was thursday. So where is it? WHY ARE WE NOT ASKING.

13 minutes ago, JezMM said:

He DID say in his tweet that he couldn't talk about it until "tomorrow" on the night of the SXSW panel though and nothing came of that.

Yeah, I'm curious about that. We have gotten some new info from the press since then, but I don't think he or Polygon have posted about any of that info yet, so it's possible he's just yet to write the article?

2 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Yeah, I'm curious about that. We have gotten some new info from the press since then, but I don't think he or Polygon have posted about any of that info yet, so it's possible he's just yet to write the article?

Polygon did put up a generic article about the footage, but it wasn't from Nick himself. There could be more to come over the next week or so, with any luck.

1 hour ago, Azoo said:

The third character is just gonna be Sonic from the near future.

He has a new gameplay style that blends both classic and modern gameplay, so that there's a lot of slopey platforming / spinning as well as drifting, quick stepping and maybe boosting as well.

At the end of the game, we find that Sonic decides to take some of his future self's advice to never forget the past even when moving forward. The series then never does this multiple Sonics thing again, and the gameplay from here on out is just the third Sonic's style.

...I can dream, can't I.

I'm not sure if it's actually that unlikely. If SEGA wanted to debut a new gameplay style while still playing it safe and being cautious, this would be the way to do it.

If the style isn't a hit, the game still has the Classic style and the Boost style to fall back on and they can continue to use those for future games. If it's a hit, then SEGA adopts that playstyle going forward.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Whoa, this sweeping dismissal of Sonic Forces is pretty disheartening to say the least. I can only hope that Sonic Team knock the ball right out of the goddamn park with this one; enough to convince the public that Sonic does have a future beyond 2D retro throwbacks.

Also, does anyone else think it's weird to see Sonic 4 Episode I being touted as even a moderate success...? :/ 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, DaN said:

This game needs 4 things to be a great title and maybe the best 3D Sonic game:

- an improved Modern gameplay with better fps ,  smoother handling and a bit more 3D platform

- right phisics for classic sonic and some unique power ups so it differentiates from Mania

- A third gameplay with Dreamcast Sonic with an Adventure kind of gameplay

- An interesting plot a la Sonic Adventure

... about the 3 gameplays there could be a logic

classic = all 2D

dreamcast = all 3D

modern = both 3D and 2D

and then at the end of the game there's a giant time ereasing stuff and Sonic Team does a soft reboot of the franchise 

Sounds interesting but as others have stated, modern sonic is dreamcast sonic. And is it really necessary to pull a Days of future past at this point?

Since we're throwing around wildly speculative gameplay ideas, here's something interesting. I know that people are wondering about the third gameplay type; most seem to think it will be another Sonic but there are still people who want Eggman to have a greater role in the gameplay. To that end there's actually inspiration from another game Sonic Team can draw upon and it comes from the most unlikely of sources, the third-person shooter Quantum Break:

The above video is Quantum Break's first 'Junction Point'. Now, most of the game you play Jack Joyce, running around shooting things and with a host of time manipulation powers. However, at the end of every act you instead take control of the antagonist Paul Serene, you're then given the opportunity (as the villain) to make decisions that will have a fundamental impact on future gameplay.

Basically, while it's a little unorthodox, why couldn't Sonic Forces do the same? Have the player briefly control Eggman at key points in the story to alter future gameplay, different placements of enemies or alternate boss battles etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose I shouldn't try and joke either...

(Guess I'm just not that good)

The things that happen while you're off at work making a minimum wage living. That $7.25 an hour.

Anyhow, really hoping for hub worlds in this game. That way you can have all of the cast there beyond over the radio and via cut scenes.

Plus would like the missions from Unleashed to return.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, BlueBlur91 said:

So something unrelated, but Tee lopes (The composer of Sonic Mania.) made a remix of the Sonic Forces theme.

And it sounds awesome.

Jeez, how many days has it been? Regardless, it sounds absolutely fantastic.

11 minutes ago, BlueBlur91 said:

So something unrelated, but Tee lopes (The composer of Sonic Mania.) made a remix of the Sonic Forces theme.

And it sounds awesome.

Guess what everyone?

Turns out that's the theme for the Classic Sonic bosses in the game!

...Wishing here.

What was Sonic doing?

He was fucking up, so Eggman finally won!

All Hail Eggman, bitches!

Edit: You know, this goes sooo well with my avatar of Egg Boss Conquering Storm. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 3

I suppose that Lost World is still canonically the last Sonic game chronologically. What if time passes differently between Earth and the 'Lost Hex'? Maybe Eggman just got back home first and therefore had more time to try and conquer the world unopposed before Sonic returned?

(Which comes to think of it, sounds suspiciously like to premise of Transformers: Beast Machines...)

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Kintor said:

I suppose that Lost World is still canonically the last Sonic game chronologically. What if time passes differently between Earth and the 'Lost Hex'? Maybe Eggman just got back home first and therefore had more time to try and conquer the world unopposed before Sonic returned?

In Sonic Chronicles's ending, Eggman took over the world while Sonic & Friends were stopping Ix.

Sonic Forces = Sonic Chronicles 2 confirmed

phew rather than complaining of what is here, my complaint is how little Sega has shown so far.

By now there should have been a full blown out with press release etc., if we compare this to past Sonic games

btw Nakamura sounds much more intelligent than Iizuka if you read interview on Rhythm Thief R. Iizuka's statements is pure stock PR all the time. I guess I just like insightful interviews (which I hope they do)

• Thumbs Up 4

I know people joke when they say "Could this be a continuation to Chronicles?" and I get it because honestly it sounds like it is. Remember Chronicles ends on a cliffhanger with Sonic and Co. coming back to Earth to see Eggman has done something? And that time is slower on the twilight zone? That sounds like a continuation.

However, Chronicles wasn't written or made by Sonic Team, and we all know how Sonic Team feels about stuff not made by their hand (Sticks being the exception, but she was designed by Sonic Team, they also helped out with Sonic X and some Sonic manga stuff). But most importantly, y'all remember that lawsuit by Ken Penders agaisn't Bioware that escalated into the Archie reboot and a lot of other silly stuff? Yeah SEGA ain't touching that ever again lmao.

But you know it would be funny if they actually did continue it but say it's not based on it and Penders went full conspiracy mode to try and start shit again lol

• Thumbs Up 1