Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Wow, the wait to find out more about this game is killing me! 

I miss the good old days when Sonic games would leak like dodgy plumbing

I said this before but while the wait for details will be painful, the fact that we don't know anything about 2017 outside of a few scarce details STILL is an accomplishment!

It definitely shows this is MUCH different SEGA we're dealing with, delaying Fire & Ice to getting Sonic fans to create a new Classic Sonic-styled Sonic game and with 2017 vaguely looking like a compromise between Modern and Adventure fans is all looking great (except still no promotion for the Boom cartoon but nevermind that).

I won't lie that what killed my enjoyment for Generations was because everything about the game was leaked and because of that, I look at the game more critically than I probably should.

So I'm glad that when we actually get details on 2017, it'll be at the appropriate time where the game is right around the corner.

• Thumbs Up 9

Say, doesn't Sega/Sonic Team usually do something during December at Joyopolis in Japan that's lead to announcements before? I may be misrembering.

There is a an event at Joypolis this December at the 23rd, if I recall correctly but I doubt they'll give away any big details on 2017. They're probably more focused on Mania and besides, that Joypolis event is a "Sonic Fan Appreciation" event so it'll probably be more focused on fanart and that sort of thing but we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Soni said:

There is a an event at Joypolis this December at the 23rd, if I recall correctly but I doubt they'll give away any big details on 2017. They're probably more focused on Mania and besides, that Joypolis event is a "Sonic Fan Appreciation" event so it'll probably be more focused on fanart and that sort of thing but we'll see.

That's what i remembered. I say anything is possible. There won't be a focus on Mania, as Taxman already said there will be no more news for the rest of year. Also, if i recall, Aaron said there would be more news on PS2017 before the end of the year, but wasn't specific on what exactly we would get. We'll just have to wait and see,  i guess.

Something freaking tells me that we may get info February next year, to be precise. There was one little hint in the color hex code picture in the social media that said 02 of 07 or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna laugh when Classic Sonic gets "Amy-ed" and gets himself kidnapped in the first five minutes of the game. Spend the rest of the game trying to save the future because Sonic went awol in the past.

Sonic Team could be pulling the wool right over our eyes. All this anxious back and forth over classics and modern could be for nothing.

• Thumbs Up 6

*Modern Sonic saves Classic Sonic from Metal Sonic on Stardust Speedway*

*Classic Sonic falls in love with Modern Sonic, changing the timeline irreparably*

• Thumbs Up 8

On 01/11/2016 at 6:27 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

*Modern Sonic saves Classic Sonic from Metal Sonic on Stardust Speedway*

*Classic Sonic falls in love with Modern Sonic, changing the timeline irreparably*

* Amy gets jealous and turns out being the new villain, trying to destroy their love *

On 11/1/2016 at 3:10 PM, Cakito said:

I don't think they will repeat Modern Eggman and Classic Eggman together again. It'll probably be something else around Eggman and time travels.

Xehanort and Eggman confirmed to be working together in Sonic 2017.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 11/3/2016 at 10:15 PM, Soni said:

Aaron said in a livestream that we'll get details on 2017 next year and left it at that.

That is a bummer if true. We're looking at another long news drought then, sadly.

To be honest I would wecome Classic and Modern Eggman working together again with open arms, because their appearance together was the best part of Sonic Generations' story and the potential of their interactions was totally wasted on just two cut-scenes at the end of the game.

Granted I don't want the entire game's narrative portion to use "lol we're so different now!" jokes as a crutch for every single cut-scene, I still am really hoping for some drama and a plot that can excite me again like the games used to.  Granted, that was due to me being younger and having lower standards, but still, I care about the characters and want to feel that again for them.

• Thumbs Up 8

You raise a point I hadn't thought of.  If 2017 was going down the Classic/Modern Eggman team-up road again - and, given that we're looking at multiple Sonic 2 Death Egg Robots and the reunion of Classic/Modern Sonic, seems extremely likely - then the big difference to Generations would almost certainly be that that team-up would be front and centre.  Generations pitched itself as a Monster of the Week story; we didn't know that Eggman was behind everything, we had no idea (and, as I recall it, no expectation) that Classic Eggman would feature until the final cutscenes leaked.  (Generations kind of disguised the fact that it had a story at all, really.)  So while Generations had that partnership, it didn't really use it much because it kept that partnership hidden as a plot twist.  If 2017 is using the same partnership, it will be revealed far earlier and the writers (whoever they may be) can hopefully do a lot more with it.

• Thumbs Up 6

The game wont have any details until maximum time frame of E3 next year. Even then it might be scarce on what is revealed, as SEGA are trying to keep tight lipped on this as much as possible. During the live stream Aaron had stated that no new info will be debated until sometime next year, and since not many Sonic games are announced until E3, I can't see anything happening. Which brings me to my next point. Spoilers and potential leaks. There is a time in every gamers life that looking up information on Google is inevitable, Sonic Mania is one for me, but with Project 2017, nothing, zip. Aaron and the social media team are only posting what they get from SEGA executives, so its not worth asking them anything. And if there is information out there, most likely it will be fake, unless SEGA themselves or anyone on livestreams puts it out. If someone gets hold of the news for the 2017 project, don't post it here, or anywhere, trying to get peoples hopes up, before an official announcement. All we know recently is a new character and game-play style will be shown soon. No more than that

Although it looks like something good after the last 3-4 Sonic games, I am still not impressed. I don't understand why SEGA has to always reuse their (not old, but recent!) elements. If there is a new game coming for Classic Sonic, why is he in this game too? The sound effects, the visual world and even the destroyed city are really familiar.

Of course they are, because it is a Sonic game, but from what we saw in the trailer, it is absolutely a Generations 2 for me. What I miss is the freshness of the 2000s' Sonic games, where there were always new, but awesome stories, characters, places and even a bit of new gameplay. Just look at Riders, Rush Adventure, Shadow or the Black Knight. They could make good things without spoiling the usual Sonic spirit. And it also wouldn't be so hard in my opinion: they could get me at once with an Archie Sonic game adaptation, for example..

Actually Sonic Mania still looks good, but I have a strong feeling we won't see a game like the good ol' ones too soon..

26 minutes ago, Tomazo said:

Of course they are, because it is a Sonic game, but from what we saw in the trailer, it is absolutely a Generations 2 for me. What I miss is the freshness of the 2000s' Sonic games, where there were always new, but awesome stories, characters, places and even a bit of new gameplay. Just look at Riders, Rush Adventure, Shadow or the Black Knight. They could make good things without spoiling the usual Sonic spirit. And it also wouldn't be so hard in my opinion: they could get me at once with an Archie Sonic game adaptation, for example..

Actually Sonic Mania still looks good, but I have a strong feeling we won't see a game like the good ol' ones too soon..

You mean the hugely experimental phase Sonic had throughout the 2000s? As fun as that may have been, most of those experimental games were far from good. Shadow the Hedgehog may be enjoyable to some, but it suits the definition of bad, rather than good. Same goes to Black Knight, Secret Rings, Sonic Heroes, etc. Most of these games were middling, with a few being pretty bad. There were definitely good games like Rush and Advance, but those were games that stuck to a stable forumula and didn't change much over the series. 

Sega succeeds more when they stick to a formula and execute it well, instead of giving Sonic a heavy longsword or having motion controls. Having new gameplay could be great (like how Velocity 2X alters between 2 genres, but maintains the all important speed), but randomly adding a beat em up or Mech Shooting to an otherwise fast platformer isn't exactly what the vast majority of Sonic fans want, nor is it a good idea. 

I think the 2000's were an important year for Sonic Team to figure out what works with Sonic and what doesn't. A racing game works, but a beat em up doesn't. Going back to those years would be backtracking.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tomazo said:

The reason Sonic Team has done a Generations 2 is simply because to make a good Sonic game they feel they are required to go back and stick to what they know and do best; and for them that's the Boost engine of the recent games. It'll be 4 years since Sonic Team has made a Sonic game on home consoles when this game comes out, and it's best for them to stick with the Boost engine, which has given them the highest praise for a Sonic game since Adventure 2 (Unleashed day stages, Colours and Generations), and then put in a new feature to spice the game up. 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Sir Laptop said:

The reason Sonic Team has done a Generations 2 is simply because to make a good Sonic game they feel they are required to go back and stick to what they know and do best; and for them that's the Boost engine of the recent games. It'll be 4 years since Sonic Team has made a Sonic game on home consoles when this game comes out, and it's best for them to stick with the Boost engine, which has given them the highest praise for a Sonic game since Adventure 2 (Unleashed day stages, Colours and Generations), and then put in a new feature to spice the game up. 

its not gonna be new if the game is boost engine.....

Sonic NEEDS to go safe. Sonic's reputation got destroyed thanks to Rise of Lyric. If they make a game is safe, fun and polished, the series might return for it's Colors/Generations good reputation.

If they try to be experimental again AND fail, the series might get even more hurt.

They are going to use the same formula that worked and didn't failed yet for Project 17. Same gameplay, yes. But it can be improved. The Crash Bandicoot Trilogy didn't try to make the second game the black sheep like Zelda 2 or Mario 2 (USA), and just improved.

Like it or not, if Sonic Lost World was a boost game with parkour and stuff, it would recieve much more praise.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Sonic NEEDS to go safe. Sonic's reputation got destroyed thanks to Rise of Lyric. If they make a game is safe, fun and polished, the series might return for it's Colors/Generations good reputation.

If they try to be experimental again AND fail, the series might get even more hurt.

This is really just showing that Sonic needs to be good. A bad safe game isn't going to help and a good experimental game would certainly help. There's an argument that the boost gameplay is good enough to trust over an unknown gameplay style, but I at least don't find that convincing.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

This is really just showing that Sonic needs to be good. A bad safe game isn't going to help and a good experimental game would certainly help. There's an argument that the boost gameplay is good enough to trust over an unknown gameplay style, but I at least don't find that convincing.

Sure, a bad safe game.

But, if it is safe, it has less chance to be bad.

Unleashed Day stages were great, Colors had more 2D than 3D, but still really good! Generations is arguably better than Colors,

Today SEGA is way more smarter then before. Sonic Mania is the proof. They are going to mix the best aspects of every game to create something even better.

...But I'm kinda disappointed that Classic Sonic is in the game. but his gameplay can be improve too! Mania Drop dash in the game with improved Generations engine even more close to the genesis games made by Christian Whitehead? ;) Huh? I'm just dreaming.

• Thumbs Up 8

23 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

But if that good experimental game is bad.....

They're going with what they know works best, and they might throw in something new (oh wait they are) to see if that could work or not

I'm not a Boost fan and I'd rather they play along the lines of Sonic's Adventure gameplay, but I get why they'd go with it. It's the most well received 3D gameplay the series has had. I fairly OK with it, if they continue to improve on it like with Colors and Generations.

What I'm sick of is the nostalgia pandering. It's been 6 years since the last game didn't do that. Enough already.

• Thumbs Up 9

Maybe Classic is in this as well since he's slowly becoming SEGA's main mascot again...? He seems to be appearing in more merchandise than his Modern counterpart, which is a shame since his design is also appealing with a decent market as well.