Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

So far the season 2 is okay, but nothing really made me laugh at loud. One thing I did notice is radical increase in 4th wall/ in-jokes. Especially "The Biggest Fan" had blue arms, Sonamy, too much tape, etc. I thought too myself "yep, Ian Flynn is helping with this season and it's showing already".

So how is it possible that first episode written by him had none of those? (maybe one "so season one" line). I'm very positively surprised by Ian's job. I always say that he isn't fit for full time comedy (although I had to admit all jokes were on par with rest of the season), so imagine my surprise that episode's biggest strength were character interactions. Sonic-Tails was done perfectly. Competitive, but not mean spirited, bros, but no too sweet. Tails is cocky (which fit's to Sonic's little bro/sidekick), but underdog and clever (two essential trades that differ him from Sonic).

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic and Amy alone together for a walk in the canyons? Surprised the shippers aren't all over this yet.

Plus, was there any real reason behind Swan Lake being used as the background music when the Rube Goldberg trap went off? Seemed a little odd.

1 hour ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

Sonic and Amy alone together for a walk in the canyons? Surprised the shippers aren't all over this yet.

Plus, was there any real reason behind Swan Lake being used as the background music when the Rube Goldberg trap went off? Seemed a little odd.

My guess is because it was on a lake. I don't know seems like a musical pun on the staffs side.

Anyway I enjoyed it. I laughed at all the jokes and loved the character interactions. I loved the escalation of Tails getting more and more frustrated (not helped by Sonic's condescending Head pats) To the point of nearly killing him with that last trap. XD OK Exaggeration but how is dunking him in water a "Trap"?

Flynn's dialogue is on point and as one of the apparent handful of people that finds Ian's humor funny I think his jokes worked perfectly here. Probably helps actually hearing them delivered by Actors instead of trying to imagine how the line is delivered in print.

All-In-All I had a ton of fun watching this one. Hope Ian's next episode is as fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ian, you beautiful person you!

That was a really good episode! It felt like something out of the Boom comic, if you ask me.

It's really fun to see Tails come up with all these traps to try to capture Sonic, it pretty much goes all Roadrunner on ya and that's great! The traps are pretty cool too!

I just love the bit where Sonic is trying to get away from VacBot's sucction and also Amy's hammer acrobatics, those were pretty nice!

The main cast all had their moments to shine, from Knux and Sticks' goofy one-liners to Amy's deadpan voice of reason remarks to Sonic/Tails' friendly yet intense competition.

It's a really good episode. Curious to see what the director the show will do the next episode.

• Thumbs Up 6

Found Ian's episode to probably be the best episode of out season 2 so far. Episode was pretty hilarious from Sonic's puns to even Orbot and the whole "hedge sickle/cube" conversation. Right when the competition between Sonic and Tails started I started having flashbacks to the whole Sonic vs Tails fight from the original world in the Archie comics (before the reboot at #252), so I kinda did become fearful that things might get a bit too heated between the two bros during this silly competition and turn into just a minor fight between them at the end that they would have to put aside to go against Eggman. 

Nice surprise that what I was thinking as I watched didn't happen, but I did feel the boulder trick, while clever, was a bit too much on Tails end simply because of the fact that another of his friend got involved in it and it wasn't just Sonic. I felt pretty bad for Amy since she was just having a walk with Sonic into the canyons for whatever reasons and then she gets swept up in this crazy plan with giant boulders rolling all over the place and all coming together at once towards her. I could only imagine something like they giving her close to a heart attack. Sucks that Knuckles got caught in the barrel and Sticks in that chain chomper, but Knuckles just ended up falling asleep in the end (...well after hitting hit in the head with the barrel), and I'm not even sure how Sticks managed to be upside down(?) and get it stuck in her hair. 

I do like that the entire plot here felt complete and didn't feel incomplete like how some Sonic Boom episodes usually can feel at times, and bonus points for having Amy get on Tails for that and have him apologize to her and the others instead of just brushing it off. Also pretty glad the bet was remembered (since I completely forgot about the bet once Eggman was knocked away) and the little banter between Sonic and Amy at the end. 

• Thumbs Up 5

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So far the season 2 is okay, but nothing really made me laugh at loud. One thing I did notice is radical increase in 4th wall/ in-jokes. Especially "The Biggest Fan" had blue arms, Sonamy, too much tape, etc. I thought too myself "yep, Ian Flynn is helping with this season and it's showing already".

So how is it possible that first episode written by him had none of those? (maybe one "so season one" line).

There was.

When the bet was brought up, Tails recommended "we make things interesting". Sonic replied by referencing us, the audience.

So yes, Ian did include a 4th wall break.

• Thumbs Up 6

i giggled a lot with this episode XD i'm so happy Ian exploited all what he could.. good timing with the jokes and episode develoment, i loved Sonic's attitude here and actually all the gang's  ^_^ i'm so happy he also got to use Orbot and Cubot.. hehe 

also i can not help.. Tails' last trap reminded me of these "incredible machine" puzzle thing i saw once long ago

People are of course entitled to their opinion, but when said opinion begins to disregard the entire premise and tone of the programme it's criticising, it gets a little ridiculous.

If you genuinely expect a show like this to have deep, emotionally resonant, dark content then you're watching the wrong show, and to express contempt for it because it doesn't have those things is silly. That would be like entering a screening of Saving Private Ryan and afterwards coming out complaining it didn't have enough goofy musical numbers, or watching Back to the Future and moaning that it's about time travel. There are certain expectations you have to have.

In short: it's Sonic fucking Boom. Not Schindler's List.

• Thumbs Up 6

Mcbasilrocks, I am aware of what the show is called. However, it - in a sense - failed to live up to my (and possibly other people's) expectations. I once read that it was an action-adventure comedy show; the first episode was OK but from there it gradually went downhill with bad morals, character flanderisation (Sonic, Amy and Knuckles) or derailment (Eggman and Tails) and somewhat lazy storytelling. I'm not saying that I could do a better job at Sonic Boom, I'm just stating my opinions. If you don't like what I have to say, then who am I to stop you?

All I have gathered so far is that Sonic has the ego the size of Jupiter, Tails has the memory of a fly or a goldfish, Knuckles has an empty shell of a head, Amy is as bossy as ever, falls in love with random guys she barely even knows and thinks she's better than everyone else, Eggman's IQ has dropped somewhat tremendously and the villagers are just too stupid and ignorant to know what's going on. Not to mention being unbearable, when a hero refers to guys as 'guys' or people as 'people', or when an actor steals credit from the heroes of the village and is rewarded for it (that episode ended miserably with Sonic giving away his well-deserved credit to someone who didn't deserve it).

From my perspective, Sonic Boom mostly failed to pull its weight when needed. Although it's a kid's show, it's a terrible kid's show (like Teen Titans Go) and I'm sure that a 5-year-old would know this.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but this is exactly how I feel about the show. Considering that I had high hopes for Sonic Boom to work, which is why I watch the show. Plus, the show focuses on comedy more than anything else.

I'm sorry, I really, truly am, but to draw any kind of non-ironic comparison between the dreck and obnoxious ubiquity on display in Teen Titans Go and the genuine effort/attention to the fanbase that goes into the writing for Sonic Boom is demonstrative of a very poor sense of quality.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

I'm sorry, I really, truly am, but to draw any kind of non-ironic comparison between the dreck and obnoxious ubiquity on display in Teen Titans Go and the genuine effort/attention to the fanbase that goes into the writing for Sonic Boom is demonstrative of a very poor sense of quality.

Maybe so. I'm just saying that both shows are terrible. Ever get the feeling where your expectations of something are let down (or whatever the right word is for it) or changed by what happens in reality? That's how I felt (and still do) about Sonic Boom. 'Return of Slade' tricked the viewers into believing that Slade would return (probably because the writers wanted Ron Perlman to star in it, but he said no), and Sonic Boom's 'action, adventure and comedy' - to me - didn't feel like it lived up to its standards.

You talk as though the show was marketed as some grandiose adventure epic with only a smattering of humour. It's never pretended to be anything other than just a goofy situation comedy with occasional light action and slapstick. Simple, lighthearted entertainment with good writing. Nothing large-scale or fancy.

That's what we were promised, that's what we got.

7 hours ago, Kiah said:

Can we please refrain from saying things like this? This is not constructive criticism in regards to something you don't agree with. Please don't do this as one is entitled to their opinion whether it is negative, unpopular or not. Either way one should always feel comfortable in expressing their opinion. While you are free to contest something you don't agree with, it should be done in a constructive manner like other members have already done on the matter as opposed to accusing them of overacting and telling them to "chill out" in regards to how they feel or what they think.

If people don't think Sonic Boom is funny or that they don't like what they see for whatever reason they should be able to express that. This goes for everyone. Express your criticism constructively regardless of how incorrect, excessive or even absurd you think one's opinion or reaction is.

Not finding it funny is fine. Saying gags where characters crash into walls "Torture" the characters and pitching some weird high drama thing for a silly show like this a whole other story.

Just because it's "Their Opinion" doesn't automatically mean it can't be questioned. 

• Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Not finding it funny is fine. Saying gags where characters crash into walls "Torture" the characters and pitching some weird high drama thing for a silly show like this a whole other story.

Just because it's "Their Opinion" doesn't automatically mean it can't be questioned. 

And I never said it couldn't be. In my post addressing you (that you previously quoted, mind you) included the words "while you are free to contest something you don't agree with," to prove this. The point is that it should be done constructively.

Had this actually been done where you addressed what you were critical of constructively I wouldn't of had to say anything hence me addressing you on the matter at the beginning of my post. It was the way you said it. Not the act of contesting the opinion itself as you by all means can do so as long as it is done respectfully and constructively per the rules that we have established here.

• Thumbs Up 5

actually that reminds me that in Nutwork when the villagers went after Eggman i got to hear a music with lyrics that said more or less like this(though i'm not sure if i remember exactly what they said but i did hear it):

"fight the machine and you know what i mean!" 

:lol:  could it be that Duditude will have a comeback with a new song? XD heheh it would be so cool!

1 minute ago, Drawloverlala said:

actually that reminds me that in Nutwork when the villagers went after Eggman i got to hear a music with lyrics that said more or less like this(though i'm not sure if i remember exactly what they said but i did hear it):

"fight the machine and you know what i mean!" 

:lol:  could it be that Duditude will have a comeback with a new song? XD heheh it would be so cool!

I think Roger and Travis probably sang that "Fight the Power" song. I know I heard Roger's voice in that.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if Sonic Boom will create an episode where Lady Walrus loses her riches and is forced to find work, to support herself and her children. That will teach her to call the regular folk 'peasants'.

Ok yeah no, that's just being cruel. 

Why make a show that's established itself to be light-hearted and comedic and turn it dark for no reason?

Might be a little late, but I finally got done watching "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Worse-er". Gotta say, this is probably one of my if not my favorite episode in the whole series. I've kinda been saying that for the last couple of episodes, but that's a good thing. I love the interactions between Sonic and Tails. It's nice to see that they have a competitive attitude sometimes, most of the time it's with Knuckles.

Small things I want to point out: Tails' ears drooping when he's said is quite possibly the most adorable thing I've seen. Sonic and Amy were walking alone randomly (hmm, wonder what they could've been doing. p.s I not a SonAmy fan lol). Nice continuity with Zooey, I hope we get to see more of her Tails' relationship this season. I love Amy's personality in this. Most of the time she's either bossy or outright mean spirited, but it's nice to have her in a role that makes her personality shine being the voice of reason. New robot design we haven't seen before, that's cool. More Tails singing :), loved all the guys singing in Dream Boat Express, so hearing Tails sing more is awesome (also Bill Freiberger says this won't be the last time, interesting.)

So the next episode is In the Midnight Hour, which is another Sticks episode. I liked Nutwork, so I'm interested in seeing how this episode turns out.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, blazefan519 said:

So the next episode is In the Midnight Hour, which is another Sticks episode. I liked Nutwork, so I'm interested in seeing how this episode turns out.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the next episode is "I Can Sea Sonic's Fear From Here", the one where Sonic has to brave his fear of water (which was also shown in this episode, funnily enough) to stop Eggman's latest plot (in the scuba gear we saw in the F&I concept art, no doubt). "In the Midnight Hour" is the episode after.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, SonicWind said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure the next episode is "I Can Sea Sonic's Fear From Here", the one where Sonic has to brave his fear of water (which was also shown in this episode, funnily enough) to stop Eggman's latest plot (in the scuba gear we saw in the F&I concept art, no doubt). "In the Midnight Hour" is the episode after.

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me, thought it was the other way around. I can't wait for the shenanegins to ensue with that episode.

Let's not forget the director for the show, Natalys Raut-Sieuzac, wrote this week's episode. Curious to see how she does in the writing front considering she's been leading this show since the beginning.