Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

Just watched it. It was really, really funny-- and it had a good lesson about being careful about who you let into your personal life. Also noticed that it managed to get jokes about smutty fanfiction past the radar, what with Mark having to go through a lot of fanfic to find one that's family friendly  and the "spicy" Sonamy fic. Quite impressive.

"You always overdo it with the sports tape" was also brilliant. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

The Biggest Fan was OK. Terrifying, but OK. Amy, Lady Walrus and Mark were unlikeable in this episode, and the 'Snide Comment Day' joke got a chuckle out of me. Amy Rose, get the aloe vera out. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

[...] Amy [...] were unlikeable in this episode [...]

How so? She barely had any lines. The career day remark seemed like banter between friends.

• Thumbs Up 2

Amy was upset and unpleasant towards Sonic speaking for Career Day, and she growled at Tails for (in my opinion) no reason. Mark was as creepy (and quite rude) as ever and Lady Walrus told to the people to descend from rich families (which some of them cannot do) and she called them 'peasants'. That's why I said the three were unlikable in this episode.

But the 'Snide Comment Day' joke was funny. :D

As a reference to Just a Guy (according to wakeangel2001), PC the Hedgehog. The 'constant criticising' comment, that is.

Let's see how the next episode (ep. 6) will play out.

3 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

They know our fandom all too well.

Know the fandom? I think a fair few of the writers are in the fandom!

• Thumbs Up 6

26 minutes ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

Amy was upset and unpleasant towards Sonic speaking for Career Day, and she growled at Tails for (in my opinion) no reason.

Amy's pretty uptight about the necessities of normal life and probably doesn't see "being a hero" as a career.  I mean... where DOES Sonic even get his money from?  She's multiple times thought of him as a bad influence due to his arrogance.

As for Tails she very clearly was growling at him because he alluded to the idea that Amy was obsessed with Sonic, which she 1. doesn't want to admit and 2. certainly doesn't want Sonic to be aware of.

Anyway fantastic episode, I'm amazed at how many fandom-related jokes they got away with.  (This really is the kind of self-deprecation humour I am simply dying to occasionally see in the actual games mind you).

• Thumbs Up 9

Just saw the episode thanks to some help. I quite liked it! It contained a lot of references, moreso than usual, with many pokes at the Sonic fandom. There were references to Casablanca ("Mark, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful assistance-ship"), the Sonic OVA ("SHUT UP, TAILS!"), and of course, Misery. Pretty darned good!

Now, bring on the Ian Flynn episode!

• Thumbs Up 4

Just saw it, it was really good. Doug wrote a mighty fine episode, poking fun at the weird part of the fanbase with shipping and fanfiction. Also this line.

"I've got dozens of fans. Of course, he's the first one who doesn't criticize everything I do."

#ShotsFired

Also like how it parodies Misery as well, haven't saw the movie myself (along with like thousands of Hollywood movies I haven't seen) but that was great!

I found Mark hilarious with his crazy and disturbing antics, as with any other "overly obsessive fan" type of characters. Also hey, Charlie's back! Nice to see the rest of Boom's rogue gallery having fights of their own instead of ol' Eggy. And I'm guessing that was Beth the Shrew that asked for Sonic's autograph at the end, mystery solved!

Mark was just hilarious, pretty much referencing "Shut Up Tails!" from the OVA and his incredible awkwardness is just hilarious to me.

But yeah, really good episode!

Ian Flynn better rock it next week!

Just chatted with Doug Lieblich for a bit, apparently this is the only episode he has written for this season.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just got done watching the episode and boy howdy, that was hilarious. I loved all the jabs at the Sonic community with SonAmy, fanfics, the arms, and the bandages. Also, Amy's face when Tails commented on her knowing about constantly following Sonic around was hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

The Biggest Fan was OK. Terrifying, but OK. Amy, Lady Walrus and Mark were unlikeable in this episode, and the 'Snide Comment Day' joke got a chuckle out of me. Amy Rose, get the aloe vera out. :D

I don't see what you're talking about, I thought Amy was decent in this episode, and this is coming from a guy who hasn't been too happy with her portrayals in a number of episodes. I felt Amy's actions were justified in this episode. Amy's opening quote was just playful banter with Sonic, and she kind of made a good point. She wasn't criticizing Sonic for being picked for career day, she was saying that it's strange for people to consider what Sonic does as a career. Being a hero is something you do, it's not a career. She didn't get mad at Sonic for his comeback either, she kept a playful smug look on her face, instead of getting angry with him. I also couldn't blame Amy for rolling her eyes at Sonic when the students were cheering for him, because Sonic was bragging and taking all the credit for his fights against Eggman. He knew Amy was there, yet he didn't mention crediting her, or his other friends. Amy had every right to be annoyed for being mistreated like that, even then, she handled it pretty well. She didn't make a scene and confront Sonic for lying, and the next time we see the two, everything is fine between them. So again, how is Amy unlikable?

Also, did you not realize that Amy was the only friend of Sonic's to be there to see him on career day? Not even Sonic's best friend Tails, or Knuckles were there for him, but Amy showed up. Even though Amy thought him being at career day was ridiculous, she still stuck around for the sake of her friend. What was Tails's and Knuckles's excuse for not showing up to support their best friend? Amy also looked out for Sonic the most in this episode. She was worried for Sonic, about his new friend having an unhealthy attachment to Sonic. If you were annoyed with Amy in this episode, then why weren't you annoyed with Tails? He's the one who made an unnecessary jab at her for being attached to Sonic. It made sense why Amy got mad about that, he was taunting her, and accusing her of having feelings for Sonic, and Amy was embarrassed, and didn't want Tails to let everyone know about it. Even then, I thought what Tails said was hilarious, and Amy's response was also hilarious, along with Tails's alarmed recovery.

Amy was also the only one to worry about why Sonic didn't show up, and was the one who lead Tails and Knuckles to look for him. After Amy realized Mark was holding Sonic hostage, she didn't abandon him for not listening to her concern about Mark, she lead the gang to bust Sonic out, but unfortunately set off a security trap. So again, how was Amy unlikable?! She was the only one that actually tried doing anything productive in this episode. Sonic was in trouble, and she lead her friends to save him, despite not listening to her. Amy was a good friend in this episode, and did more than Tails or Knuckles even. 

I'm guessing Sonic wasn't too happy about finding out Sticks stole Sonic's hammock and other stuff in last week's episode, because she appeared to be kicked out of the following episode as punishment, lol. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I'm guessing Sonic wasn't too happy about finding out Sticks stole Sonic's hammock and other stuff in last week's episode, because she appeared to be kicked out of the following episode as punishment, lol. 

Lol, Nice that I wasn't the only one who noticed Sticks' absence this ep.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, I saw the episode. Holy moly this one's crazy with the references. The jabbing at the "odd parts" of the fan base is strong in this one.

tumblr_inline_oi2j4eCSRG1taxesp_500.png

The blue arms joke, the SonAmy one got me, (still can't believe it was actually SAID), the sports tape joke... even the family friendly fanfiction joke, this episode is CRAZY with references. The paniced Sonic voice acting was pretty funny, (THEY AREN'T FOOD SAAAAFE!!!!)

Mark the Tapir is a literal representation of the "odd part" of the fanbase. Truly a really creepy villain. Also adding that Boom Sonic head design from the Sonic Boom CGi styles guide was a nice touch to the shirt too!

tumblr_inline_oi2medf3ei1taxesp_500.png

Another bonus was that we got to see this dork show off his balancing plate talents lol. Amy was alright in this episode too, taking charge to get in the cabin to rescue Sonic. and yes, I understand the Misery reference there. 

Overall a crazy but funny reference episode!

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm seeing a lot of people saying Mark the Tapir is literally...a certain infamous fan I'm sure you're all familiar with.

• Thumbs Up 2

BOI! Do not get me started on that tangent, it was a mess about how that all went down. All of assumptions were made and I had to clarify what really went down, it was NOT pretty I'll you tell you that much. I asked Doug Lieblich himself to know if Mark is like that person in question.

Granted, you could make the argument that he probably doesn't want to reveal that it might be based on a specific person but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

I really don't think Mark the Tapir is Chris-Chan (it's not the n-word, guys). The kind of stuff you see is characteristic of any fanboy-fangirl type in a TV show, and the traits this guy exhibits are characteristic of tons of the hated parts of the fanbase. Hell, he never even showed us his fan characters.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just saw this week's episode. Have to say it's one of my faves so far -- very funny writing! Incidentally, I did notice the CWC resemblance, but I doubt the writers know/care who he is; the more likely scenario is that whoever did the fanbase research came across him (and others) which influenced their description of the underside of the fandom. Hoping for more eps this great!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know who this "Chris Chan" person is, but when I saw Mark the Tapir for the first time, he reminded me of this character...

CzevuVmUsAAqwJk.jpg:large

...the meme king of "the fist", Arthur! :D

• Thumbs Up 9

lol I did notice alot of people making connections between Chris Chan and Mark around the webs. To be fair, the writer to the episode was just mocking overly obsessive fans in general. Thus making it such a coincidence.  :V 

To me, Mark's face screams 'jump scares and nightmares'. Not even Quasimodo was this terrifying to look at. Just saying.

51 minutes ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

To me, Mark's face screams 'jump scares and nightmares'. Not even Quasimodo was this terrifying to look at. Just saying.

At least Quasimodo had a kind heart and was generally pleasant to be around. Mark is just... touched in the head, to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 2