Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

Don't know where else to put this, so it's going here. Created a SSMB tournament for MK8D.

3602-6686-6219

150cc, other rules subject to change

Say, I heard some Nintendo Switches have had a little warping problem after being left in the dock for some time. Has anyone here have had this problem, out of curiosity? I'd like to know.

I've only heard of it being reported in articles. Nobody that I've spoken to head had the issue at all. I don't find that the Switch even gets warm enough that it becomes at all flexible, let alone actually warps. It's not like a typical handheld because it does warm up a bit and you can definitely feel the heat escaping from around the vent. But the rest of the system is relatively cool overall, so heat from the vent is actually where you'd want there to be heat. 

Now if your want to talk scratches on the screen thanks to a poorly designed dock... Yep. It's crap. Get a screen protector. Don't chance it. 

I think the warping issue was blown quite a bit out of proportion. I believe the particular unit affected was already defective or was probably poorly ventilated (though I think the report I saw didn't make that seem to be the case, so eh) and it just got worse after especially long play sessions or whatever.

Now, I will say my Switch is raised by, like one-sixteenth of an inch on the right side of the unit, but I can practically guarantee that was not due to using the thing in the dock at all (and I've had looooonnnnnng play sessions with Zelda for that first month). In fact, since the day I got the system (launch day), I noticed one side (bottom right corner of the bezel) of my system was constantly getting smudged by the little rubber bit at the bottom of the dock whenever I'd take it out and it drove me crazy up until I got a screen protector (it could easily be cleaned/buffed out with eyeglass cleaning wipes and a microfiber cloth). When this story broke and I checked my unit, and also talked to Nintendo about that story, I came to the conclusion mine was already manufactured that way, and I would not be surprised if there are many units similar to mine in that regard. Now, I'm not happy about that fact. It does bug me that my unit isn't perfectly flat, but since it's not immediately noticeable nor affecting the unit's functionality, I haven't wanted to send in for a replacement/exchange primarily because my biggest concern is losing my save data that Nintendo decided I either shouldn't have saved on the cartridge for a physical game or externally on a memory card (this still drives me up the fucking wall).

So, yeah, I can understand the concern, but I don't think the issue is anywhere near as major as it's been made out to be outside of one or two cases. Like Blue Blood says, the unit does get hot when docked (and on, this is important--the system barely gives off any heat when it's asleep/charging), but not abnormally so for what it is. If anything, I'd also echo the need for a screen protector, 'cause damn.

EDIT: If it's unclear, my unit is not warped. I just got unlucky and got a unit that was slightly raised in the first place.

So, if I don't play for a long number of hours(40-50), the Nintendo Switch should be okay and not warped?

It should be absolutely fine to play for as long as you like so long as you don't have the Switch sat in front of a fire. 

6 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It should be absolutely fine to play for as long as you like so long as you don't have the Switch sat in front of a fire. 

I don't have a fireplace in front of my TV, so I guess I should be good to go then. Thanks.

Does anyone else dislike the Joy-Con Grip? I can't get to grips with it - pun not intended. It's just not comfortable to hold something so light and small with both hands like that. The Pro Controller is amazing though, as are the Joy-Cons held individually like a Wii Remote and Nunchuck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I prefer the pro controller, but the charging grip does me fine too. I believe it has extra heft due to the power supply inside it.

From what I understand, the "warping" is just the plastic shell from the outside that's just from the heat and it will only affect it a tiny bit. It's not the inside of it either, its just the shell.

It's also entirely possible it's just a manufacturing quirk and the owner just happened to notice it later.

3 minutes ago, Zippo said:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=236000257

So this is apparently a thing. Climax Studios is rumored to be making a new Metroid game.  This comes from hit and miss (Nate Drake, ShockingAlberto, SMD) sources though, we'll see in a month. 

This whole rumor started because someone was joking around on Twitter and they played along with it. 

https://www.twitter.com/climaxstudios/status/86015532647734067

https://www.twitter.com/climaxstudios/status/861567500017860610

https://www.twitter.com/climaxstudios/status/861567585544024065

1 minute ago, Operationgamer17 said:

No, as seen in the posts above apparently Nate Drake and some other industry insiders on Gaf claim they've heard of the game before.  Someone even claimed they have heard of it from Eurogamer. 

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=236005018

http://e3.nintendo.com

June 13th. 9 AM PT. Prepare yourselves. 

Also, the show floor doesn't open until noon, so I guess I can watch Nintendo's presentation at a hotel.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a guy on fb tell me he is going to sell his switch if they charge for online......like everyone knew this going In

Tell your friend that he's a twit. While Nintendo's online service may still leave a lot to be desired and you've got to use a bloody phone app to do voice chat, they made it clear from day 1 that online play would be a paid-for service from later in 2017. The price point will say a lot in the end.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not everyone follows these events, so obviously there will be people who don't know certain things.

18 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Not everyone follows these events, so obviously there will be people who don't know certain things.

No, but it's he's the sort to be swayed by such a thing I kind of expect that he would know. Plus it's spelled out in the introductory messages on the Switch's newsfeed/guide. It's one thing to dislike it, but it sounds like he's just being a bit pig-headed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean it's like 2 dollars a month, it's not a big deal at all. Sheesh.

14 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Hey those dollars are important lol. 2 dollars or 30 a year.  seriously that's cheap

27 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

No, but it's he's the sort to be swayed by such a thing I kind of expect that he would know. Plus it's spelled out in the introductory messages on the Switch's newsfeed/guide. It's one thing to dislike it, but it sounds like he's just being a bit pig-headed.

Fair enough.

23 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I don't think there's an official price yet.

26 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Fair enough.

I don't think there's an official price yet.

There is. It was a Japanese price but it translated to around 2 bucks a month.

I'll try and find out where that was.