Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

I hope that's not a big reveal tonight. A normal switch with mk.  unlessssssss you held out till now to get one

Switch direct pretty much gave us what we were told to expect with some extras here and there.

Most pleasant surprise for me, though, was Fate/Extella with DLC+exclusive content on Switch, PS4 version has been robbed of a purchase. I'll import either physically or digitally if I must. 

7 minutes ago, Candescence said:

Switch direct pretty much gave us what we were told to expect with some extras here and there.

Most pleasant surprise for me, though, was Fate/Extella with DLC+exclusive content on Switch, PS4 version has been robbed of a purchase. I'll import either physically or digitally if I must. 

There was definitely more than I expected. I figured that 1/2 to 2/3 would be Splatoon 2 and Arms, but they were both more focused and didn't reveal too much all in one sitting. It was a good chunk, but not nearly as much as I expected.

Pretty decent Direct overall. Lots of good stuff. Expectations were met. A new Kirby game coming this holiday and new Sonic Forces footage were my big surprises for the event. Arms and Splatoon 2 finally have dates and look incredible. Super hyped for those. This basically got the Pre E3 news out of the way. Now we have two months of excitement and speculation ahead of us. Rest assured, they're saving the gigatons for June. 

What I took away from this was they at least have a game plan through most of the Summer. I figure they'll have more to show for August and beyond at E3.

35 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

But honestly though with the switch why does the 3ds matter as much anymore

Because it's way cheaper, has a huge existing audience and enormous library of games. The Switch could replace the 3DS, but if it's going to it will be done progressively.

• Thumbs Up 2

Next year will probably be 3DS' last real year. We still need to get Yokai Watch 3. There's also Snack World. And hopefully, they'll finally bring over Great Ace Attorney and its sequel. I wouldn't expect anything big after this year anymore, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Because it's way cheaper, has a huge existing audience and enormous library of games. The Switch could replace the 3DS, but if it's going to it will be done progressively.

True but seems resources would be better used on switch since it's basically a 3ds and full system in one

when I saw that there was going to be a Namco Museum with Splatterhouse of all games (the original 1988 arcade game), my mind turned to one scene from the remake a few years ago:

and for that matter, I brought it up with Rob Strangman, the owner of the West Mansion website, and he's impressed that the original is coming in its full uncensored glory to the Switch.

And by uncensored I mean, hands that give Rick the middle finger, the ability to decapitate Deadmen, and of course the Evil Cross (or rather all crosses are intact)

14 hours ago, Candescence said:

I would suggest waiting on a report on how the game runs on the Switch tbh. The DLC and exclusive stuff is only costumes.

Looking at the lineup for spring and summer so far, it really does seem like they've learned their lesson regarding droughts. There's a first party game every month or so coming, continued third party support throughout the spring and summer, and tons of indies bringing their games over every week. This is the complete oppsite of the Wii U, and that's a major relief. 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/04/14/nintendo-switch-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-launch-sales-numbers-revealed-2

Nintendo Switch, the new home gaming system that people can also take on the go, has sold faster in its launch month than any other video game system in Nintendo history. The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. That makes Nintendo Switch one of the fastest-selling video game systems of all time. Notably, this sales surge was accomplished in a nontraditional month for a console launch.

The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game sold over 1.3 million units*. That total includes more than 925,000 units sold for Nintendo Switch and nearly 460,000 units sold for the Wii U console. 

Very impressive numbers. Congrats to Nintendo. 

Fun Fact: Nintendo sold more than Twice as many Switches than Wii Us in it's first month, and this was during the spring, not the holiday season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Over 100% attach rate for Zelda is ridiculous.

Switch had a good launch. Time will tell if it has legs, but Mario in the Holiday season will probably prop it up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Fun said:

Switch had a good launch. Time will tell if it has legs, but Mario in the Holiday season will probably prop it up. 

The Direct from yesterday have given me a lot of confidence that the momentum will continue. There doesn't seem to be a software drought in sight. Mario Kart is going to be a huge seller, especially for non Wii U owners. If Pokemon, Mario and Smash Bros. are all released during the holiday season as they've been rumored, it's game over. It'll be nearly impossible to find. I guarantee it. 

8 hours ago, Captain Fun said:

Well it was literally one of the only games to get with the system. Most didn't want 1 2 switch

5 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Well it was literally one of the only games to get with the system. Most didn't want 1 2 switch

Agreed, but even then its still ridiculous the game has > 100% attachment rate.

New systems always do well no idea why everyone is surprised plus your main and only first party big game with the system was Zelda. It all adds up. Plus to me the wiiu was never a new system so much as a felt on add on

In no way was the Wii U an add on. It was dumb and people thought it was an add on, but it was an entirely new system no matter how you might try to slice it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I slice my cake with a fork. It may have been "New " but marketing made it seem like a underpowered add on.

The switch was presented as new and learning from past mistakes

51 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I slice my cake with a fork. It may have been "New " but marketing made it seem like a underpowered add on.

The switch was presented as new and learning from past mistakes

However the marketing may have made it seem, the Wii U is an entirely different platform to the Wii. It is completely different hardware, capable of running completely different software. It just so happened to be backwards compatible and an almighty flop. 

• Thumbs Up 3

By the way, the fact that the standalone dock will only be available in limited quantities has already been posted, right?