Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

2 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

I thought the meeting already happened. I heard hours ago about them confirming they had ramped production on the Switch and that preorder numbers were very good. Was that the investors meeting and the corporate strategy meeting is a separate thing?

I think that was the financial briefing.

6 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

I thought the meeting already happened. I heard hours ago about them confirming they had ramped production on the Switch and that preorder numbers were very good. Was that the investors meeting and the corporate strategy meeting is a separate thing?

Every January, they have a financial briefing and then, a corporate strategy meeting the morning after. This is the latter.

12 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Didn't you say there was an investor meeting later tonight?

It's the same thing, from what I know.

You mean Switch won't be replacing 3DS. But seriously, 3DS is only lasting like another year tops. Its already winding down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I'll be honest here. I can see the potential of keeping the 3DS relevant in the eyes of people who aren't getting the Switch anytime soon but beyond that... just why? Why should Nintendo put resources into games for an outdated handheld when they have a new one right there? We talk about how we want Nintendo's release schedule for the Switch to be better than the Wii U's but keeping the 3DS around is going to do the opposite of that. Honestly, I thought one of the main benefits to the Switch was that Nintendo would no longer have to be developing for two platforms at a time and could now focus their full time and effort on one.

I know I'm stepping on a lot of toes here but I really do think that the 3DS has run its course. It's been around for a good 6 years and has a ton of killer titles already. I honestly believe it's time to move on like with every other new console launch.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

Ok, I'll be honest here. I can see the potential of keeping the 3DS relevant in the eyes of people who aren't getting the Switch anytime soon but beyond that... just why? Why should Nintendo put resources into games for an outdated handheld when they have a new one right there? We talk about how we want Nintendo's release schedule for the Switch to be better than the Wii U's but keeping the 3DS around is going to do the opposite of that. Honestly, I thought one of the main benefits to the Switch was that Nintendo would no longer have to be developing for two platforms at a time and could now focus their full time and effort on one.

I know I'm stepping on a lot of toes here but I really do think that the 3DS has run its course. It's been around for a good 6 years and has a ton of killer titles already. I honestly believe it's time to move on like with every other new console launch.

It's because of how Pokemon Go successes which led people to buy a 3DS and buy the older Pokemon games and it's the reason why Sun/Moon are selling like hot cakes.

9 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

It's because of how Pokemon Go successes which led people to buy a 3DS and buy the older Pokemon games and it's the reason why Sun/Moon are selling like hot cakes.

I see what you mean but that doesn't change how it's hurting potential Switch sales, release schedules, and software on a technical level. I guess it becomes a game of chance on "do you want to make this product for the Switch's better hardware and potentially expand the audience/ be met with a smaller install base" or "make it for the 3DS on a smaller scale but at least have a higher install base". Though, I'm not entirely sure if the people who brought a 3DS recently just to relive that nostalgia of Pokemon they remembered thanks to Go cross over to people who would even look twice at a Fire Emblem product or something.

I guess I'm just not one to dwell on old hardware when there's something that can give you a better software experience right along side it. It's been that way with just about every console transition outside of the PS2 to PS3 (and that was only because of how much of a bloody juggernaut the PS2 was). I'd just hate to see a game get released on the 3DS that would have clearly benefited from the features the Switch has. Especially with how sparse Nintendo releases are already.

38 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

Yeah, I love the 3DS and getting a few more new games on it (that I care about it *vehemently looks at pikmin 3ds) but I really want Nintendo to just focus everything on the switch because like many people have said, there is literally no point in keeping the thing alive when we have something thats not only covering its role but a console role as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

I see what you mean but that doesn't change how it's hurting potential Switch sales, release schedules, and software on a technical level. I guess it becomes a game of chance on "do you want to make this product for the Switch's better hardware and potentially expand the audience/ be met with a smaller install base" or "make it for the 3DS on a smaller scale but at least have a higher install base". Though, I'm not entirely sure if the people who brought a 3DS recently just to relive that nostalgia of Pokemon they remembered thanks to Go cross over to people who would even look twice at a Fire Emblem product or something.

I guess I'm just not one to dwell on old hardware when there's something that can give you a better software experience right along side it. It's been that way with just about every console transition outside of the PS2 to PS3 (and that was only because of how much of a bloody juggernaut the PS2 was). I'd just hate to see a game get released on the 3DS that would have clearly benefited from the features the Switch has. Especially with how sparse Nintendo releases are already.

I guess it's cause if the Switch fails(which I'm hoping to God it doesn't) they'll have the 3DS to fall back on when they come up with a successor to that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like Nintendo is keeping the 3DS around as a buffer, in case the Switch underperforms or fails, they have 3DS there to keep them in the green. It's exactly like the Game Boy line, Nintendo claimed the DS "wouldn't replace" the Game Boy and that they would co exist. You can see obviously how that went. They're hedging their bets.

54 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

This is exactly how i feel. The Switch is a result of their console and portable teams combining their forces. The 3DS is a fantastic system with tons of great games, but it's time for it to go. It's a relic of Nintendo's 2 system strategy, and that needs to go away entirely, they cannot afford to have droughts just because they want to support an extremely outdated system. They need to put their full confidence and push into the Switch.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I guess it's cause if the Switch fails(which I'm hoping to God it doesn't) they'll have the 3DS to fall back on when they come up with a successor to that.

The thing is, the only point really holding the Switch back right now is its lackluster lineup. Keeping the 3DS around only adds to the issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's no reason to kill the 3DS when it's still making them money. It has a healthy install base and killing it now wouldn't really ensure 3DS owners adopt the Switch or anything.

35 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

The thing is, the only point really holding the Switch back right now is its lackluster lineup. 

Unattractive price point too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Captain Fun said:

There's no reason to kill the 3DS when it's still making them money. It has a healthy install base and killing it now wouldn't really ensure 3DS owners adopt the Switch or anything.

Unattractive price point too. 

Making new games for the 3DS also wouldn't really ensure more units are sold either. Especially now that people will be faced with a newer item right next to it on the store shelf. I think there's more than enough reason to stop development of titles for it because you're basically gimping the Switch, their new hardware that they spent a lot of time and money developing, from the start. Honestly, there isn't much Nintendo can make for the 3DS that 1) Would overshadow anything that's already out on it or 2) wouldn't completely take away from the Switch's relevance. If people are going to buy a 3DS, it's more than likely going to be for what's already out.

btw I hope you guys know that I don't mean ending production on the 3DS itself. Just software... not sure if that was clear or not...

Also, I'm more concerned about the price of everything around it rather than the system itself. While it's cousin, the Nvidia Shield, comes in at $100 less, it isn't a deal breaker as far as console prices go. Especially if you consider it in the same area as a tablet where the market is dominated by the IPad (which versions average at around $600). It's far from idle but it is justifiable.

The 3DS' 60M+ install base versus the 2M~ (based upon the pre-order allotment) install base of the Switch is why the 3DS will continue to stick around for at least a year or two more, unless the Switch just absolutely kills it in retail. My personal opinion is that the 3DS needs to be retired in favor of fully focusing on the Switch, as its drastically underpowered compared to everything else available today and has been around for a very healthy length of time. But, I understand why they're doing what they're doing for now.

For me personally, once I get the key franchises that mattered to me on 3DS (Smash, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Kirby, etc), then I'll likely just sell mine. I already have the Switch pre-ordered, and I haven't played my 3DS in months.

Nintendo says this every time they roll out a new console, and they always adjust to the new one depending on how the console does. Don't put too much stock in PR, guys. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Nintendo says this every time they roll out a new console, and they always adjust to the new one depending on how the console does. Don't put too much stock in PR, guys. 

Friendly reminder that they said the GBA would stand alongside the DS and GameCube and it died within the year. 

I mean if it is true I don't see the harm? There's still a niche for small titles that the 3Ds can provide, if it's still taking in the cash I honestly see no reason to let it die because of some imaginary life span that a console has to adhere to. And I don't really buy the idea that focus on the 3DS takes time away from the switch considering they've been managing their main and handheld Consoles just fine for like 30 years almost 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Soniman said:

And I don't really buy the idea that focus on the 3DS takes time away from the switch considering they've been managing their main and handheld Consoles just fine for like 30 years almost 

Yeah, I'm going to have to heavily disagree with this based on the last decade. Nintendo absolutely struggled to keep the Wii U relevant from the start. They have a hard time putting out titles that don't begin with Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon in the first place. The 3DS and Wii U combo only added to that issue. I'm really starting to think that the whole handheld and console pairing is an idea best kept in the past. I'm sorry, but when a game like Mario Maker is your big title going into the holidays with nothing coming after it till the summer, there's a problem there.

The Switch is giving Nintendo the golden opportunity to merge development of all their studios onto one platform for a more consistent and heavy line of titles. Keeping the 3DS around kills that potential and, quite frankly, is more or less just carrying dead weight.

It already has a Smash, Mario Kart, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Zeldas, Marios, Metroid, 3 different generations of Pokémon, etc. Again, what on earth can Nintendo make for it at this point that's going to sale anyone on it that also won't completely kill all need for a Switch?

• Thumbs Up 1

They actually freaking did what I said they should do. Brillant move. It's short, concise and to the point.  

On 1/27/2017 at 3:55 PM, Zippo said:

Nintendo's Switch marketing has been incredibly on point, but absolute proof that they've learned would be a Super Bowl ad. That needs to happen. Hundreds of millions of people will be watching that game around the world. Super Bowl ads are usually announced the week of the big game so I'm hoping we get one next week. If Pokemon can get one, I don't see why their brand new console can't. All they need is a minute to get their message across.

^

• Thumbs Up 1

If they actually have the units. Show it off all you want. If Nintendo  has done as they always do there will be shortages even though they typically say there will not be.

Also is this how voice chats going to work if so I guess I'll be silent in matches. I from jp splatoon page

tmp_20424-C3lD9nyVYAETiGG.jpg_large-1349193625.jpg

That was shockingly good. After the Japanese Switch presentation, it feels like the Western branches have a better idea of how to market this.

There's also this UK Ad which seems to mash up different ads together:

The champagne part had me in stitches. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Strickerx5 said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to heavily disagree with this based on the last decade. 

The Wii/DS combo both selled incredibly well so...???

Nintendo absolutely struggled to keep the Wii U relevant from the start. They have a hard time putting out titles that don't begin with Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon in the first place. The 3DS and Wii U combo only added to that issue. 

I really don't get the correlation here and how it's some how the 3DS' fault the Wii U tanked , nor the idea that the 3DS' successes somehow means it was harmful to Nintendo and should something gotten rid of, or releasing a game or two for it every now and somehow translates to directly hurting the Switch 

The Switch is giving Nintendo the golden opportunity to merge development of all their studios onto one platform for a more consistent and heavy line of titles. Keeping the 3DS around kills that potential and, quite frankly, is more or less just carrying dead weight.

It... Really doesn't. Switch is still the clearly superior hardware with a unique gimmick, I don't see how anyone would pick a 3DS potentially over it unless they weren't interested in the Switch to begin with. And you severely underestimate Nintendo's developers if you think they'd be spread that thin that you believe there isn't enough people to make games for both systems just fine. 

It already has a Smash, Mario Kart, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Zeldas, Marios, Metroid, 3 different generations of Pokémon, etc. Again, what on earth can Nintendo make for it at this point that's going to sale anyone on it that also won't completely kill all need for a Switch?

I dunno they seemed to have done it fine before. NSMB didn't convince people it was preferable over Galaxy 

1 hour ago, Strickerx5 said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to heavily disagree with this based on the last decade. Nintendo absolutely struggled to keep the Wii U relevant from the start. They have a hard time putting out titles that don't begin with Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon in the first place. The 3DS and Wii U combo only added to that issue. I'm really starting to think that the whole handheld and console pairing is idea best kept in the past. I'm sorry, but when a game like Mario Maker is your big title going into the holidays with nothing coming after it till the summer, there's a problem there.

Throwing all their cards in when they don't know if the Switch will be a success yet is just unwise. If the Switch takes off, expect the 3DS to fade away. It's simple. 

• Thumbs Up 3