Awoo.

Nintendo Direct [April 1, 3PM PT/April 2 12AM CEST]

Carbo

Heh, interesting direct. Not quite as amazing as I'd hoped for those 48 minutes, but still pretty cool. The MK8 updates and DLC all look like good fun, I'll be ordering the Splatoon Special Edition as soon as it's possible and the Wooly World one as well. Shame there was nothing new that really gripped me, but we're two months from E3 so that's not surprising.

You guys are getting a special edition? Huh...

They should've announced Lucas (oh, and Mewtwo, too, I guess) last.

The Direct was pretty much over at that point.

Solid Direct. Kind of outdid my own expectations actually. Never expected Fatal Frame to make it here, that the Splatoon rumor was correct and that SMTxFE actually exists (and that it looks better than I expected oh man did I just go there).

So according to a mutual on tumblr, the second pathway in FE:If is DLC

Sort of. The game is sold in two versions with the second version being discount DLC when you buy one of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't buy it.

Pretty good direct. Started off with extreme hype, then kinda took a step back later. At least we've seen SOMETHING on SMT X FE, though it is odd how apparently the FE characters are in a modern day setting. I had no idea who that one female character with long blue hair was, but when they zoomed in on her and said the Fire Emblem characters would get involved, I assumed it must've been this game's version of Lucina.

Anyway, SMT X Fire Emblem... its probably the only SMT game I'll get. Nice that its still alive.

EDIT: Oh and DK64 VC HYPE! I didn't think they were able to make DK64 VC. So much for that. Looking forward to finally actually beating that game. ^^

• Thumbs Up 1

What did you guys think of the Direct?

Really wish we would have had a new character announced for Smash rather than just a return character. It makes it feel like Nintendo just chopped off characters from the previous games to resell as DLC, and it's just rather bad form. I would have preferred that they made it 1 return and 1 brand new character.

The entire direct seemed to have an underline of Nintendo just trying to get money, between the amount of fucking amiibos they've included in the direct to more pay to play f2p bullshit.

The N64/DS plus the MK8 stuff were pretty much the highlights for me.

200cc is the best damn thing EVER!!!!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT!

Goodbye 150cc im never playing your speed ever again! online though?!?!?!?!?!

Holy shit, that was amazing. 

Smash Bros DLC, MK8 updates (I need a Sanic Amiibo), Splatoon news, and SMT X FIRE EMBLEM LOOKS SODDING AMAZING. I'm a sucker for over the top stuff, and this fits the bill.

That Ninja Pizza Girl thing during the eShop segment looked nice too, hot damn. All in all I am going to bed very happy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't buy it.

No. It's true. The game is like Pokemon. There's two versions.

So...I didn't think FExSMT looked that bad, because fuck you I don't give a shit about Anime :V

The direct was serviceable. I kept my expectations in check and got a few surprise announcements, so I'm satisfied at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fS24IxelBA

ok yeah looking at this with actual quality isntead of a shitty twitch stream this does almost look more like a neptunia game at times

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that was neat. Was a real treat to see Mewtwo in action, and definitely wasn't expecting Lucas to be announced, as well as the possibility of more DLC characters. Also it's nice to see N64 and DS support FINALLY added to Wii-U VC; I am excited to update my copy of Paper Mario and play it on my Gamepad. Fire Emblem If also grabbed my attention; I haven't played an FE game before, but the divergent paths actually have me intrigued that I'll have to give it a go. I enjoy stuff like that. I'm also curious about SMTxFE now that it's been confirmed... I dunno, I like stupid school-life stuff mixed with the other stuff, so I'll probably follow it for a bit even though I know jack about either series. It's on my radar at least. Oh, and the Attack on Titan game looks cool too, and I'd heard pretty good things about it in the past, so I might check it out, especially since I love the series.

Nothing else really grabbed me. Still not sold on Splatoon; it looks fun, but I don't think it's something I'd play much. Maybe I'll change my mind by the end of the year, we'll see. Disappointed there was no Xenoblade X updates, but I'm sure more info will be coming down the line soon enough. All in all, they announced more than I expected, but I see they're going to holding onto the good stuff until E3.

So we're getting N64 titles on the Wii U VC, huh? Well it's about damn time Nintendo! The Wii U has been out two and a half years and we're only NOW getting N64 games? Dear lord...

Well, let's see what else is-

yarn.jpg

Oh god.

yosh-720x404.jpg

Oh.... oh my....

yarn_yoshi_amiibo.png?w=825&h=500&crop=1

I....

Someone catch me while I faint from an overload of SHEER ADORABLENESS

• Thumbs Up 5

Man, I think that was a pretty solid direct. Really excited to see Fatal Frame being localized and I'm actually looking forward to SMTxFE too. 

200cc in MK8 looks really amazing as well. I always found the game to be too restricting with the gliders being absolutely worthless and shortcuts practically nonexistent. I really hope Lakitu doesn't pick you up as soon as you get out of bounds in 200cc mode since there seem to be opportunities for some crazy shortcuts. Wow. I never thought I would get interested to play MK8 again but this really blew me away.

Ok, with DK64 coming, there is one other game that wasn't on the wii that we need(and its sequel):
Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman... oh and Mischief Makers

Competent if unspectacular. Glad to have seen Mewtwo in Smash, Woolly World and Splatoon details and the actual reveal of N64 VC plans, at last. I'll probably cave and buy the Yoshi WW and Splatoon amiibo, too.

Nintendo Direct is often kind of a rubbernecking experience for me.  I generally really enjoy seeing everything that's on offer... but most of it I have neither the console nor the desire to buy.  Like the yarn Amiibo - wild idea, only Nintendo would do it.  I'm not going to get one, though.  I'm not getting Smash either, but I still just put in a vote for Isaac.  ...Why does Nintendo think my gender is "Männlich."

I don't think have a game split up into "episodes" makes it trash. There IS a retail release with both stories included.

On the EU Store, Mario 64, DK64, WarioWare Twisted, and Mario Kart DS are up.

Alright. Got DK64 on the Eshop.

Looking at the opening rap cutscene, the internal things to comment on are...

-The games are cut down 4:3 like GBA games which means no widescreen

-The framerate, at least in the cutscenes are going alright which means they've hopefully sorted out all issues that relate to porting N64 games to Wii U

-By tapping the touchpad, you can bring up the normal restore points etc, but you can also view the original manual of the game.

-You can map the touchpad's buttons with the N64 controller.

Playing for a few minutes, everything seems to be here and working alright. There is no framerate issues so far, and the only real problems is the camera (Which I'll assume was a issue with the original DK64 anyway) and the 4:3 Aspect Ratio.

• Thumbs Up 2