Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

An SA1-type game (minus all the frivolous bullshit) which uses Unleashed's art style, updated for the 8th Gen.....that'd be pretty fucking nice.

• Thumbs Up 4

As far as I'm concerned, we're stuck with thematically and mechanically empty games and people are perfectly okay with that because omg Green Hill.

I'm pretty sure people aren't "perfectly okay" with that, considering the posts on this very thread (for what they're worth) and the unpopularity of and backlash against Sonic 4, among other things. Sega might be hoping that people will be okay with that, but I don't think they really are, at least among the Sonic fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 2

For people who are asking for a Sonic Adventure style game, which parts of the original Adventure games are you asking for Sega to replicate? Just the Sonic/Shadow style of gameplay, or do you want them to bring back the gameplay types of other characters, Like mechs and emerald hunting?

I'm 99% positive no one wants the fishing.

For people who are asking for a Sonic Adventure style game, which parts of the original Adventure games are you asking for Sega to replicate? Just the Sonic/Shadow style of gameplay, or do you want them to bring back the gameplay types of other characters, Like mechs and emerald hunting?

Hidden Content

I'd be happy with a game of freaking fishing at this point if it means being able to play as someone that isn't Sonic for at least one level.

Meanwhile, I'm positive ProJared was onto something with SA2 in that folks subconsciously forget the non-speed levels, making the game seem much better than it is.

Anything with Sonic's name has you pigeonholed into speed as the focus. Whatever gameplay they go with, they need to keep it fast and not tedious.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be happy with a game of freaking fishing at this point if it means being able to play as someone that isn't Sonic for at least one level.

What's the difference between fishing as Sonic and fishing as Big the Cat? Isn't the gameplay alone boring and completely unfit for a Sonic game?

Aaron would probably put his hand up for more Big the Cat fishing levels haha.

Nepenthe is sadly right on the money about the current disinterest in most platformers tho, among his other points that also stand true. Platformers were a product of their times. These days Mario, Ratchet and Clank, and some stand out hits like Shovel Knight are about as much as people are willing to put their time into as far as platform type games go. Even then two of those are hybrid platformers mixed with other genre elements.

Sonic was a product of his times and did well in them, he's lost his footing as time has moved on and left the franchise behind. Even with some diamonds in the rough like Colours, parts of Unleashed, Generations etc which tend to be universally accredited as being "good", a lot of the time it almost seems like the love and care for the Sonic titles doesn't even exist in Sega or Sonic Team themselves anymore. Credit to Sonic tho, the fact people get upset still is testament to how fond people were and still are of him even after all the crap he's gone through. People still want to see a fantastic game and a reason to jump back into the franchise. 

I guess that's what they are trying to do by making all these press statements on Sega in general and also brands like Sonic recently, trying to say they realize they have made some horrid missteps and want to correct them, that they have lost their way and are willing to admit it now. I would like to believe them, but we have all been mislead a few too many times to take the apology and promises at face value.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, I definitely do not want to see alternate gameplay styles ever again. I wouldn't say they're completely awful or impossible to enjoy, but overall they were a mistake, especially in retrospect. Multiple playable characters are cool, more styles of gameplay that don't capture at all what people want from a Sonic game are not. What I want from the Adventure games is the basic gameplay style of Sonic or Shadow, polished up, improved, added to, and made better than ever. That's what I want, anyway.

Other things from the Adventure games such as the storyline style or Chao Gardens or whatever would be fine to include, but I don't feel too strongly about them myself.

• Thumbs Up 3

What's the difference between fishing as Sonic and fishing as Big the Cat? Isn't the gameplay alone boring and completely unfit for a Sonic game?

I enjoy it, so I didn't see it as such.

My point was to make clear my desperation for wanting more playable characters even if they have to do weird things like fish, just give me someone that isn't just Sonic(s) for once.

whydoicareihavenomodernconsoles

I definitely want the other characters but they need to play like character in the Sonic game should: platforming with a one mandatory goal, reach the end of the level. Character need to have both their own gimmick and speed. Not only the other of those two. It seems like only time when SEGA knew that was with Tails in SA1 and even he was criminally underutilized (well, Knuckles was also fast but his gimmick completely defeated the purpose of speed.).

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, I definitely do not want to see alternate gameplay styles ever again. I wouldn't say they're completely awful or impossible to enjoy, but overall they were a mistake, especially in retrospect. Multiple playable characters are cool, more styles of gameplay that don't capture at all what people want from a Sonic game are not. What I want from the Adventure games is the basic gameplay style of Sonic or Shadow, polished up, improved, added to, and made better than ever. That's what I want, anyway.

Other things from the Adventure games such as the storyline style or Chao Gardens or whatever would be fine to include, but I don't feel too strongly about them myself.

To me the mech shooting was as great as the speed stages. I wouldn't mind befitting game plays like that again for Tails/Eggman because it fits with their capabilities revolving science and robotics/what have you and it fits with the action Sonic is supposed to be all about. it was fast paced in its own way because you were always on the move or else you got killed by enemies. That's Sonic no matter how you look at it. Always on the move and always fighting.

THAT is why the only thing that didn't work to me was the fishing and treasure hunting. Those were the no-no aspects, but the mechs built onto the adrenaline the franchise provided you.

In my opinion it's peoples phobias of anything different game play wise and design wise, and demographic wise that helped ruin Sonic and steered him into the solo character, watered down story, repetitive designed poor selling franchise it is today. Some things people are against I understand, but being so narrow minded to the point where ones acceptance of something as an alternative to Sonic and his game play and acceptance of additional features like Chao and Kart Racing is thinner than a strand of hair is unreasonable, unrealistic, and downright devolving.

Edited by Chris Knopps
  • Thumbs Up 3

Personally, I kind of hate SA2's mech stages. Well, okay, I do get some enjoyment out of them, but I still think they're pretty garbagey overall. I don't like not being able to run fast or jump high in a freaking Sonic game. Sonic games usually provide a sense of freedom and fun in your movement. Those stages definitely don't. So to me, personally, they're pretty antithetical to everything a Sonic game should be.

Theoretically, they could still be good in their own right, but to me they're not. Platforming when you have such a limited jump plus a really pathetic booster is no fun, and the shooting mostly consists of just holding down the shoot button, flailing around until you target everything, and then letting go. And though this is just the problem with the last hero level, I think it's pretty skeevy that they teach you to shoot everything you can target throughout the game, then suddenly penalize you for doing so!

Again, I do get some fun out of doing them, but overall I mostly dread playing them.

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch
  • Thumbs Up 6

Leading off of what the Destruction Switch said, most people I find, think that Cosmic Wall is the best Mech level. I bet that's primarily because the mech has a nice high, moon-jump and can for all intents and purposes, fly. The manoeuvrability of mechs in the stages is what turns me off of them. They're slow and clunky as fuck. Their jump is often too heavy and slow for any enjoyment to be derived from platforming, and the actual shooting part is generally pretty basic.

Whether or not its appropriate for the Sonic franchise really depends on your point of entry. If you started playing Sonic games around SA1/SA2, this would seem pretty normal. If you joined earlier; around Sonic 2/3K.....well, its questionable to say the least. Forgetting how "appropriate" mech shooting and treasure hunting may or may not have been, my biggest complaint with them is that they are badly designed for the most part. I rarely derived any enjoyment out of the mech stages, and I actively despise treasure hunting. Maybe you could say I'm just bad at the game, but I reached a point of frustration with Meteor Herd and Security Hall, that I just stopped playing. Still haven't actually finished the game, primarily because I get to those stages and lose the will to continue. However, YMMV when it comes to this sort of thing.

If you want to include different playable characters, they don't NEED to have entirely different gameplay paradigms to be well differentiated from Sonic himself. You can introduce subtle variations that give each alternate character something unique to work with. Sort of like how S3K differentiated Sonic, Tails and Knux. Of course you can introduce slightly more complex differences if that isn't enough for you, but the fundamental gameplay should be focused around rapid, fluid movement - its what popularised the franchise in the first place. I'm not suggesting every single level be a insane high-octane blast from start to finish. Each unique level can and should have its own unique tempo, based on its environment or position in the level sequence or whatever. Most importantly, the alternate characters should be OPTIONAL - making them mandatory is what made non-fans so sick of the franchise and its bullshit to begin with. 

These are just my 2 pence. There is naturally a whole lot more to it than this.

Like I said before though. A game modelled after SA1, but with all the useless guff removed and all modernised with the Unleashed visual style (and production budget), would be just dandy.

Heck a straight remake of SA1 (or even 2) with all the pointless, aggravating shit removed and all the story and dialogue....'quirks' ironed out, would be pretty nice. I'd like to play those games through from beginning to end for once, without getting mad

• Thumbs Up 6

I really like the mech stages, at the time. I wish they got fleshed out in a tails spin off game.

Thats how i feel about most alt gameplay styles, make it a spin off game. Instead of trying fit combat in sonic, just throw shadow at platinum whilst yelling,  "make a game" .

Edited by Shadowlax
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I wish Sega would do with classic Sonic as they did with Boom Sonic: create a "new" branch of the franchise focusing on a different style. In this case, classic Sonic gameplay. I mean, why not? Sort of a "New Super Mario Bros."-esque thing.

And most definitely not a Sonic 4-esque thing.

Edited by PC the Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 6

Personally, I wish Sega would do with classic Sonic as they did with Boom Sonic: create a "new" branch of the franchise focusing on a different style. In this case, classic Sonic gameplay. I mean, why not? Sort of a "New Super Mario Bros."-esque thing.

And most definitely not a Sonic 4-esque thing.

That's not a bad idea, actually. The question is whether they would actually be decent, as past attempts at recapturing the classic gameplay have been... Lacking, to say the least.

I vaguely remember Sonic Advanced 1 doing it to an okay degree but A.) This is Dimps we're talking about, and B.) It's literally been years since I've played it. 

Damn, I really don't like Dimps.

Edited by DarkSamus117
  • Thumbs Up 3

I really like the mech stages, at the time. I wish they got fleshed out in a tails spin off game.

Thats how i feel about most alt gameplay styles, make it a spin off game. Instead of trying fit combat in sonic, just throw shadow at platinum whilst yelling,  "make a game" .

THIS.

• Thumbs Up 1

Golly, I wonder what they'll call Green Hill this time.

Haha, oh my gosh. Well said my friend, well said.

An SA1-type game (minus all the frivolous bullshit) which uses Unleashed's art style, updated for the 8th Gen.....that'd be pretty fucking nice.

I was trying to find a video of this (but failed), but I've seen a mod of Sonic Generations that basically has all of this. It's really just a slightly adjusted Sonic Generations Sonic model to look more like a modern version of Adventure's. The boost was replaced with the spin dash, and it just looked great. I know exactyl what you're talking about, and I'm on board with it.

Sonic Generations 2 with Boom Sonic included leaked? Haha

• Thumbs Up 1

They were asking which image did people want to be their new Twitter profile banner, in case you were wondering. lol

Still funny to see another logo sighting though!

• Thumbs Up 2

89HANHgh.jpg

Interesting. Maybe that is hinting another Generations, with Boom included. If they include Boom Sonic, I am interested in seeing how things may go from there.