Awoo.

The 52 Game Challenge 2015

Tracker_TD

Updated, and added 5 games on my list, beating this challenge just in the nick of time.

Shantae Risky's Revenge (Steam, WayForward)

L2nfnry.jpg

It's a cute game. That's all I have to say. Charming, funny and entertaining. You can clearly see that more was planned for this little gem, but time constraints made it way too short for its own good. 4 hours and you'll beat it. But, still, at the price you'll find it now, and considering how many times WayForward games go on sales, it's well worth the money. Go check it out.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS, Nintendo).

buaxIP1.png

It's not A Link To The Past, and it's easier to boot, at least when comparing the two normal quests, but it's still a really fine game. I'm not a fan of 3D Zelda games myself, and to finally have another 2D entry in the main series was awesome, especially since Oracle of Seasons and Minish Cap are two of my favourite games ever. I saw the twist coming from a long mile, but it was still thrilling and engaging. Another yes from me.

Also, yeah, the game was a gift from my pals for my birthday, another positive aspect, albeit personal.

South Park: Stick of Truth (PC, Ubisoft)

C7IzP9b.png

Now, I love me some South Park. Of all those satiric show which always seem to fall flat on their faces (I'm looking at you Family Guy), South Park always kept true to itself, You can watch and episode of Season 5 and right after that an episode of, say, season 14, and it would still seem like you're watching the same show, maybe one that got better with time. And Stick of Truth has everything that makes South Park good, story and writing-wise. The combat system is your run-of-the-mill RPG thingy, but, after all, if you're playing this game, you're playing it because of the show, nothing else. 

Princess Maker 2 (PC, Gainax)

wiuEioY.png

Ok. Stop looking at me like that. That's a game. That exists. You're a hero who defeated the lord of evil years ago in an epic battle, and now you're raising an angel like she was your daughter, That's what this game is about. Every choice you make in this point-and-click game will influence your daughter's choices and future career. She can be everything, from a farmer to a incredibile hero. She can even take some...questionable job, but it would still be your fault. And even if you turn her into a high military woman like I did, it can still be kinda bittersweet. Your daughter may tell you that, while happy of what she's doing now, she's full of regrets for things she didn't do back when she was a kid; she may even imply that because of this, she's not sure about her being a good mother, if she ever happens to have a child of her own. That's some powerful stuff, if you ask me. Life can't be perfect, not even in a fantasy world.

Alien Vs. Predator (Arcade, Capcom)

6JmYq4e.png

Well, it's just your ordinary beat 'em-up, only with Predators against Aliens, And, yeah, there are humans too, but who cares about the humans?

Edited by Ducktor Naldush Repulsa
  • Thumbs Up 1

Silent Hill 2, PS2, 100% with every endings + The Dog ending.

35k4h7l.jpg

72y2vc.jpg

Silent Hill 3, PS2, good ending, 100% with all objects and Princess Heart costume

205zb80.jpg

23jlsvp.jpg

In my headcanon, the dog ending is the only real one.

So, got Adamis covered, and added a few other games to my list.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PC, Namco)

3usRb98.jpg

Playing the part of the hero, helping Goku and the others fight against their enemies? Of course I had to play this game. What I really like about the plot, though, is that you aren't exactly beating those evil-doers in place of the main characters; you're essentially fixing their timelines, creating a close-enough world to the original story.

And, c'mon, I got to be a human fighter with Piccolo, Mr. Satan and Ginyu as mentors. What's not to love?

The absence of anything pre-Sayan. That's what.

Pirate Warriors 3 (PC, Namco)

52mRxzg.jpg

Eh.

I'm not that huge One Piece fan I used to be, but, still, going through every major point in the story so far, beating marines and pirates in a very mindless way was fun. Bonus points because I tried to use Nami whenever possible. Oh, the times when she was more than a pair of boobs....

Super Castlevania IV (SNES, Konami)

HYDydt6.jpg

I've played it during Halloween week. You know, since vampires and stuff are kinda spooky. One of the best platformers out there, and my favourite Castlevania period. 

Super Back to The Future 2 (Super Famicom)

Uqteowj.png

Seriously, why didn't this game come out in America? It was...well, no masterpiece, but it was better than any other American-made crap the US got.

Edited by Ducktor Naldush Repulsa
  • Thumbs Up 1

And now for the final three games !

Parappa the Rapper 2, PS2, 100%

2em3b4i.jpg

20gyyir.jpg

Klonoa, the remake on Wii, everything unlocked, 100%

2ckd8w.jpg

30m0l83.jpg

2w2li7s.jpg

Klonoa 2, PS2, 100% !

15g2zya.jpg

2j3f7sm.jpg

Aaaaaaand that's the final game. It was a real pleasure playing through old and new games this year, and completing some I didn't complete before !

• Thumbs Up 1

And now for the final three games !

Parappa the Rapper 2, PS2, 100%

I have never been able to consistently get cool mode on PaRappa 2. Any tips?

Rocketbirds --- 100% --- Vita 

The price of admission is almost worth it for the animation/cut scenes, they're great to watch and feel like I'm watching a music video from Pink Floyd. Gameplay wise it's... ok, it's a puzzle/shooter platformer which also has some air combat type gameplay.

It's... eh.... alright I guess, it's not bad but not amazing either, there is a co-op mode but it's quite bad. 

Just play it for the cutscenes which are great.

2 more games to go....

I have never been able to consistently get cool mode on PaRappa 2. Any tips?

Honestly, I sometimes do it by pure luck, and sometimes I get better results when I repeat some touches (like when I must press square, I press it twice)

• Thumbs Up 2

Tales From The Borderlands Episode 2 --- 100% --- PS3.

Ok, this was better than episode 1... but technically, it's still awful. Why can't telltale make a game which almost totally locks up when you save or hit a checkpoint? It totally ruins the game and in some cases puts you at a disadvantage for quick reaction moments.

But that said, as a game, it's better than episode 1 by a long way.

1 more to go... and it's a good one.

I guess this'll be my final update for this year, but:

FAST Racing Neo:

This game is pretty brutally hard. A single crash and you're suddenly in 8th-10th place, and crashing into even the smallest thing is instant destruction. The AI doesn't pull any punches, either- and the courses are full of obstacles. I thought this game would be a lot like F0Zero, but it's more like Wipeout on steroids. Pretty fun, but also frustratingly difficult, especially on higher difficulties.

Spoiler

xQGZdcG.jpg

Not 100%, but hey, the credits happen after you beat Neon Cup, so I've certainly beat this game.

I'd like to update TFH to 100% btw, I got all the costumes and beaten the DLC levels.

Spoiler

WVW69iusvFgLXMZfeP

Tracker has stated earlier that we might give a week extension after the year ends to finalize and submit your entries. Go fast!

• Thumbs Up 1

Now I am done with the challange, but screw it one last game as this is the last game I played this year and my favorite game of this year too.

Undertale - Toby Fox - Steam

100% I think? I got the true ending that counts as 100% right?

What an amazing game, from beginning to end. You care about most if not all these characters and you get invested on their lives and the lore of this world. It's also REALLY fun, it knows when to poke fun at itself, when to be weird, and when to be serious. The comedy here is amazing on so many levels, and the self awareness of the game makes it so much more interesting. Oh and the music, fuck I bought the soundtrack the same day I bought the game, I couldn't just let that pass.

Overall, GOTY for me, Toby you are a magnificent bastard.

Undertale.thumb.png.5fe79d00a58c75515b99

• Thumbs Up 1

So for my 52nd game... I wanted it to be something special.

On the first day...

SSMB was issued a 52 game challenge.

On the second day a race against time.

On th 365th day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnEzkbdTa0I

Demons Souls --- PS3 --- 100%

I decided to return to the kingdom of Bolataria, to once again take up the role of slayer of demons.

But this time. I decided to play the Japanese version of the game. Its still the best, the level design, the enemy design, sound design, boss battles.

It's the best souls game, it will forever be the best souls game.

52 in 52 is done... Bring more souls... ah games!

• Thumbs Up 1

To those wondering; the event should end on January 7th, so if you still have games you want to see on this list, now it's your chance. Obviously, they must be games you have beaten before the beginning of the year.

I'll do the honors myself, by giving you a quick recap of the last few gems I've beaten before 2016, tomorrow.

4 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Being paranoid here but it doesn't say I completed the challenge.

Don't worry, fella. I'll be on it once I get my hands on the laptop.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll post my final entries later tonight!

Get your entries in fast guys, this is your last opportunity to add in games!

EDIT: I just realized that @SurrealBrain still does not have any entries in the spreadsheet despite submitting a lot of em. We'll get by your entries in a bit, apologies for that! I'm busy atm, but will take care of it if Tracker or Ducktor can't.

I'll make this quick. I've got a lot of games under my sleeve, but thanks to imgur, I can at least show some of them in just one single picture. Others...not so much.

SO

Spoiler

ns1DlW8.jpg

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (Capcom, Arcade)

Had to play this game because I wanted to include something with Rogue, my favourite X-(wo)Man. That southern accent, boys....and, also, yeah, she's also one fun character to play as. Unfortunately she didn't make the cut in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 because morons.

Metal Slug 2 (SNK, PC)

Played the PC port thanks to that humble bundle from not too long ago. I went with Eri this time, since I had already beaten 3 with Fio (more or less, until the final level, you know how 3 goes). Thanks to the same bundle I also got to play...

Sengoku 3 (SNK, PC)

It's just your ordinary beat-em-up, only with a more complex combo system. This was a nice bonus to an already rich bundle. I didn't know about this game before that, but I honestly can't complain about its presence there. Also, one of the playable characters is a cute kunoichi. She's not Ayame's (Power Stone) level of cute but...

Street Fighter X Tekken (Capcom, PC)

Same reason as X-Men VS Street Fighter. I wanted to include something with Heihachi, who is, not surprisingly if you know me, one of my favourite video game characters period, and probably my favourite villain in that particular media. Something rubs me the wrong way in this game, but I can't quite figure out what. Maybe it's the fighting system? Dunno, it feels somewhat like a mix between Street Fighter and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, instead of just Street Fighter...

I forgot to add a picture for another fighting game I've beaten, despite already listing it on the board: here is Marvel VS Capcom; Mega Man and Spider-Man joined forces to defeat Onslaught and all of his 90s grittiness

dKqX15J.png

Then we have Sonic CD (SEGA, Steam)

dke0sZA.jpg

I'm not that head over heels for this game...but I love me some Stardust Speedway. And Palmtree Panic. Wacky Workbench can go die in a fire, though.

AND, LAST BUT NOT LEAST! THE LAST GAME OF THIS YEAR IS....

DUCKTALES (WOO-HOO) REMASTERED!!!! (WayForward, Android)

iTiplTZ.png

Oh my god, was this game good! Sure, it had Gizmoduck, which I hate with all of my being (Sorry, but Fenton is such a Donald Duck rip-off it's painful to look at. Also, Duckburg has only one hero. And it's name is...well, where I live is Paperinik. You know....Donald with a mask. That Paperinik) but there's no denying that this platform adventure was such a blast and a really appropriate way to end this gaming year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, here are my final entries!

Metal Gear Rising

header.jpg?t=1447357662

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MeltingComet/stats/235460/?tab=achievements (Check File R-07 Achievement)

Funny. Amazing. Intense. Epic. Those words can describe Metal Gear Rising, which is a well crafted character action game that's only held back by a few questionable design choices. Definitely worth picking up.

Tomb Raider (REBOOT)

header.jpg?t=1450088873

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MeltingComet/stats/TombRaider/?tab=achievementshttp://steamcommunity.com/id/MeltingComet/stats/TombRaider/?tab=achievements (Check "A Survivor is Born")

Surprisingly great, it's a nice Uncharted-like game that really does a fantastic job characterizing Lara. It's a great story, only ruined by it's horrible ending. Gameplay is neat too I guess.

Megaman 1 and Megaman 2 via Legacy Collection

header.jpg?t=1447372675

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MeltingComet/stats/363440/?tab=achievements (Check the Complete MM1 and complete MM2 achievements)

So Megaman 1.

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I personally got really frustrated by it a lot, it's bosses were ultimately unimpressive and it's quite broken. Not a bad start for the series, but definitely a rocky one.

Megaman 2 on the other hand.... was pretty great. A lot more fair level design and the superb Wily stages really brought this series up to another level.

So that's it for me, for the 52 Games Challenge. Yatta.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't bring any extra entries, but since we're just about done here, I'd like to extend a HUGE thanks to everyone who helped out with this. In retrospect Sean was right; it was far too big to handle on my own and this thing would have crumpled without the support I got. Thank you all for helping maintain this thing. 

I've got badges designed anyways, so with any luck that'll be a thing for you lot soon! 

• Thumbs Up 4

Guys, I want to thank all of you for the ride. But I have something to say.

@SurrealBrain

Dude.

Mate.

I made a column just for you and your games. It's not special because I should have made it in the first place. I was the one listing the games when you first showed up. But I didn't. I did that now.

So...I just wanted to say...

XShsb10.png

Duh, mate. Forgive me, please.

If there is something that doesn't quite seems right to you, feel free to PM me. I don't bite.

• Thumbs Up 2

I ended up playing more than 52 in the end.

But I wanted to list ones I beat.

Other games I played in 2015 are as follows. 

Cll of duty Modern Warfare 3 (started in 2015. This was beaten 100% in 2016).

Space Run.

Postal 2.

Postal 1.

Plague Inc.

Sonic Lost World.

Jak & Daxter.

Think that was it but there may have been one or two others.