Awoo.

StarFox Zero (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Surely it'd be more fun to just have two players flying separate Arwings? Asynchronous multiplayer is one of the GamePad's biggest supposed selling points - why not use it?

One player flying while the other shoots is asynchronous multiplayer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because the pad's gyroscope is being used for aiming in the Arwing. Well, aiming separate from the flying. It's sorta like Sin and Punishment like that, I suppose, it's an interesting concept, and apparently it works well. Oh, and performance is kind of a problem with rendering multiple screens, too.

I don't think gimmicky controls are a good excuse to throw away a fun multiplayer mode. As for performance, it's their job to make it work. If multiplayer is going to be a priority at the beginning of development, it shouldn't be difficult.

The pilot/gunner setup probably works better with a helicopter-like vehicle in terrain that isn't terribly suited for Arwing combat - in the aforementioned RP, the reason the team was piloting helicraft in the first place was because they were working with the army and the arwings weren't terribly useful in Macbeth's rather dense urban terrain. Sometimes it's better to use a vehicle that isn't constantly going forwards all the time.

Of course, I imagine the co-op thing is gonna be optional. I sincerely doubt Miyamoto would force it on anyone. A lot of people are probably gonna prefer the dogfighting. And if there IS heli combat in single-player, it's either gonna be the player switching modes, or having an AI handle one of the roles.

They could just grant the Arwing the ability to stop, you know. 

One player flying while the other shoots is asynchronous multiplayer.

Then I guess I should have said "effectively". I can't imagine how having only one of these jobs in a rail shooter is even remotely fun.

An optional co-op mode in the upcoming Wii U Star Fox game

Big emphasis on optional. You are in no way forced to use this. It seems like a fun optional cooperative mode that has both players working in asynchronous manner that shows the advantage of the Wii U Gamepad.

I'm sure the main game will still be a ton of fun. I don't think an optional mode will sour anyone. It also seems like it could be useful for parents that play with their kids as it allows them to have an easier time to play the game.

Big emphasis on optional. You are in no way forced to use this. It seems like a fun optional cooperative mode that has both players working in asynchronous manner that shows the advantage of the Wii U Gamepad.

I'm sure the main game will still be a ton of fun. I don't think an optional mode will sour anyone. It also seems like it could be useful for parents that play with their kids as it allows them to have an easier time to play the game.

I understand that - I was never under the assumption that the single player mode would be eliminated entirely. I just don't think this particular pitch for a co-op mode sounds fun at all, and there are much better ways to do multiplayer both offline and online.

I understand that - I was never under the assumption that the single player mode would be eliminated entirely. I just don't think this particular pitch for a co-op mode sounds fun at all, and there are much better ways to do multiplayer both offline and online.

I'm... kinda in agreement here. This idea sounds dumb, Fox always has wingmen. Why not just allow the co-op to allow you to play as one of the wingmen?

• Thumbs Up 2

But do we know if this optional co-op mode is gonna be the only mode for any sort of multiplayer? I'm pretty confident that the game will have a head-to-head or another player as a teammate mode. This is still really early in development and not very much has been said or shown yet.

But do we know if this optional co-op mode is gonna be the only mode for any sort of multiplayer? I'm pretty confident that the game will have a head-to-head or another player as a teammate mode. This is still really early in development not very much has been said or shown yet.

Its so early in development, the game has literally only just begun active development. We'll probably see a trailer in a few months.

Sigh, you guys, know what was the one starfox game that Miyamoto and the last one made a main Nintendo first/second party? Star Fox 64, and I want to say part of his contributions were the branching map, and all-range mode, which was one of the first of its kind, and know what was experimental in that game? The Rumble Pack, something that has set the standard to this day for remote feedback, and the experimental gameplays other than all-range mode were the Sea fox(which I like, but is generally ignored or mildly disliked), and the Landmaster which is still loved to this day

Fact is this could be the next Star Fox 64, it has the same creative mind behind hit, and anything too experimental he won't let ruin the experience, but only limit to a level or two, and perhaps add more via dlc or other methods later

• 1 year later...

Looked pretty cool. I seriously hope those Gyro aiming parts are optional or can at least be done with the analog stick. Gyro could very well kill this for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah they said the Gyro aiming is optional in the beginning of the Treehouse so don't worry.

• Thumbs Up 2

IT RETURNS

Not sure how I feel about that Fox design but I'm thinking it might grow on me, that detail's nice in any case. Game looks like legit, classic Star Fox. Basically what we've all wanted for years. Graphics are great, too. Yep. I am happy.

Yeah they said the Gyro aiming is optional in the beginning of the Treehouse so don't worry.

Thank God. Now I can be excited about a new Star Fox =D

Thanks for the information.

StarFox.

Zero.

Today is the day.

The game I've been waiting for.

And there is nothing wrong with it in any way whatsoever.

StarFox. Platinum. Amazing game, amazing visuals, amazing amazing. They're even using StarFox 2 content.

;_;7

• Thumbs Up 2

Holy crap!  They went back to the style seen on the original box!

51176_front.jpg

Ya, Thunderbirds inspired

This looks SIIIICCCCCKKKK Can't wait to get it

Thank God. Now I can be excited about a new Star Fox =D

Thanks for the information.

Oh so you didn't know about the optional controllers either? If you want you can play with the pro controller, and play the campaign with a friend.

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides the eyes, I quite like Fox's new design. Better than Command's.

Also the Chicken Walker is pretty cool.

Oh so you didn't know about the optional controllers either? If you want you can play with the pro controller, and play the campaign with a friend.

Ooooh, nice.

Starfox Zero in Nintendo's Direct looked good, but reading up on it now and finding out that THE Platinum Games is co developing it has made me even more excited! OwO And I like Fox's design, looks very similar to the SNES art.

The walkers look like updated versions of the SF2 ones, which is sweet, though I wonder if they might add other elements from that game(Arwing Defender and Interceptors as bonus ships perhaps? bring back Fay and Miyu), I sure hope the Wolfen (original and assault) are playable, and we get a sweet versus mode like Assualt, but online(And I wouldn't mind Krystal back either

• Thumbs Up 1

I predicted a long time ago that Platinum was doing it, and I was right lol. Anyway, Star Fox looks hype. Too bad they used Star Fox at the start of the Direct... the ending was lame.

I liked what I seen, my only gripe is how lacklustre the Arwing's design is in this game, very plain and simple. It's not bad? But after being treated to how good the Arwing looked in Starfox Assault I'm a little disappointed.

Wasn't expecting the walker form though, that looks hype. Just hope it's not replacing the Landmaster? I hope the Blue Marine makes a return too in an updated Aquas... And Zoness and Macbeth better still be in the game.

I liked what I seen, my only gripe is how lacklustre the Arwing's design is in this game, very plain and simple. It's not bad? But after being treated to how good the Arwing looked in Starfox Assault I'm a little disappointed.

Wasn't expecting the walker form though, that looks hype. Just hope it's not replacing the Landmaster? I hope the Blue Marine makes a return too in an updated Aquas... And Zoness and Macbeth better still be in the game.