Awoo.

*SUPER* Mario Maker (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Yes! I'm actually really happy about this because so far Wii fit trainer is my favorite one in the 8-bit costume's, her poses are just funny to see in 8-bit form.

And yoshi is confirmed too now. Will we see yoshi riding a yoshi? Lol

I could of sworn yoshi was able to go into other the other 2 styles. I swear I've seen him somewhere in SMB 1 style. Was it actually confirmed though?

I could of sworn yoshi was able to go into other the other 2 styles. I swear I've seen him somewhere in SMB 1 style. Was it actually confirmed though?

You may have just seen the Amiibo-related Mystery Mushroom playable Yoshi.

Dunno if it's been confirmed or not. I'm not getting my hopes up though. I mean, I don't think the Propeller Suit works in any other style than NSMBU.

I'm curious as to what happens to these items if you go back to a "lesser" style.  Whether they get greyed out or replaced with some equivelant for that era (propellor hat = feather, etc).

I'm curious as to what happens to these items if you go back to a "lesser" style.  Whether they get greyed out or replaced with some equivelant for that era (propellor hat = feather, etc).

The costume mushroom changed to a Leaf in SMB3, a Feather in SMW, and a Propeller Hat in NSMBU.

I played it and that's what happened, BTW.

• Thumbs Up 1

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what happens with items and NPCs that don't have equivalents in other styles? I have no idea what Yoshi would turn into, for example.

Speaking of, I kind of feel like Yoshi has a chance of being in all four styles in the final version of the game (it'd be a cool addition, especially since apparently Yoshi was originally going to be in SMB1, or so I hear), but if he's restricted to SMW & U I'm not too bothered.

One thing that does really disappoint me--and this goes for the series' 2D installments in general actually--is that throwing shells and other things upwards seems to be strictly a SMW style thing. That was one of my favourite things about World and it's still so weird to me that, when NSMB came along, they got rid of it for literally no reason. ...There might be a reason I'm unaware of but it's probably a bad one. B|

It's a bit disappointing that not all enemies and powers exist in all styles, considering that they did actually convert quite a few; that just seems strange and inconsistent.  I also feel that they should have come up with a unified set of physics, since they already appear to have changed some of them, though I suppose it's wholly a matter of taste as to whether the styles should be totally interchangeable.

The game will probably get DLC packs, filling out many of the missing elements.

Speaking of, might this game receive curated DLC? A collection of levels made by Miyamoto or Koizumi would be lovely.

• Thumbs Up 2

As far as I'm concerned, all enemies traps, hazards and all that stuff are in all styles.

Specific styles content are either power ups, yoshi, and of course the physics.

I didn't mind the NSMB series not having the shell kicking upwards because with all that wall jumping, triple jumping stuff in that style will make alot of levels way too easy if we had that feature.

Plus its pretty nice to have different physics that you can build levels around with those certain physics.

You can see that in the Nintendo world championships where they had levels that worked around those physics.

Super Mario Maker - Monty's Mine Go Boom Direct F…:

Also this music is different. Might be the works of the music creation mode?

Also I played this level and it is hard holy shit lol, NO ONE, can't beat it. I made it close to the hammer bros part which is not seen in this video but its farther ahead. Mr and this guy were just going at it trying to beat it but couldn't do it lol. This Saturday I shall beat it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like we got a small hint at the number of amiibo compatable with this game!

2480c954e2.png

Please have Sonic, Megaman and Pac-Man!

• Thumbs Up 1

^ It might be possible a few of those slots are character skins you can unlock through that 100 Mario Challenge mode as well.

Personally given the lack of Amiibos I currently have it'd be nice if I could unlock even the Amiibo related ones in due time.

Also this music is different. Might be the works of the music creation mode?

I wondered that as well because of the stage layout suggesting the underground setting, but then I imagined it would be the Ghost House theme for SMB1.

Come to think of it, was there any hint of the music creation mode in the Treehouse and Best Buy demos? I watched through them with the feeling there wasn't any hint of a music composing option anywhere.

I'm glad the skins (or maybe just some of them) don't require amiibo. I was a l'il worried that other Mario characters for example would require amiibo which would be kind of silly.

Of course it'll all just be cosmetic, but that makes sense. I mean, imagine needing to playtest for Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad before being allowed to upload a course--in the actual game, you're already required to complete a level you've made before you can upload it, stopping people from creating literally impossible levels, but multiple characters with different abilities / physics would make this much more complicated.

I'm glad the skins (or maybe just some of them) don't require amiibo. I was a l'il worried that other Mario characters for example would require amiibo which would be kind of silly.

Of course it'll all just be cosmetic, but that makes sense. I mean, imagine needing to playtest for Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad before being allowed to upload a course--in the actual game, you're already required to complete a level you've made before you can upload it, stopping people from creating literally impossible levels, but multiple characters with different abilities / physics would make this much more complicated.

Its also notable that the Amiibo are only required if you're a designer. If they're already added in a level you don't need the Amiibo anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not that I'm aware of. I'll probably have to look around to see if there is any.

But then I realized that it could be new music specifically for SMB 1 style ghost house which I don't really like lol same way with the Mario world music in the airship levels. That one is new.

Makes me wonder how the SMB 1 style of airships, and the ghost house of SMB 3

Yoshi's skin has the classic Yoshi's Island jump sound and clear music! Super neat!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I assume each amiibo has special SFX and level clear music. Wii Fit Trainer had um... I think it was a shortened version of the exercise finished music from Wii Fit

Well I guess I got my answer on how SMB 1 style airship will sound. Lol not sure if I really like it though.

It's kind of neat that for the most part they've made original compositions for the musical gaps in the soundtracks - like done their best to imagine "if this level trope had existed at the time the game was made, what might it have sounded like?"

So it's sort of like they designed a song that could have come before Mario 3's Airship theme, as if Mario 3's was a throwback to this one.  Pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Mario Maker: Pink Parasol Mystery Mushroom …:

So we got some 8-bit peach gameplay basically confirming her to be in as well. Making her whip out the umbrella as she falls which is nice and she has her SMB 2 jingles.

I'm pretty confident almost all amiibos will on here which is actually pretty great. Its gonna be nice to see and hear each amiibos 8-bit animations, death music, victory music and what sounds they make when jumping. Its a pretty cool feature.

Its also cool that even pressing the up button they all so far do a pose like with Wii fit she goes upside down and when you crouch she does the splits, and when you press up with link he holds a piece of the triforce.

I didn't even realize 8-bit yoshi was shown in the direct lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thinking about it more, hearing Sonic go moooooip in a NES-style Mario game would be pretty friggin' surreal. Also, I know I'm late but thank fuck these things aren't Amiibo-exclusive, for once Nintendo found a good compromise between both sides that I'm happy with.

Remember how Takashi Tezuka initially said that Super Mario Maker would have a consistent set of physics for all of the 2D Mario games represented a few months ago? Apparently this is no longer the case, as people on Neogaf who have played demos of the game are saying that Super Mario Maker has separate physics for each 2D Mario game represented, with each of them being faithful to the source material. Whether they are or aren't striving for 1:1 accuracy to the original games' physics is up for debate though.