Awoo.

*SUPER* Mario Maker (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

A portion of a NZGamer interview with Takashi Tezuka...

NZG: Has it been hard to create a medium for players to share the courses or toys they create? Did it have to be built from the ground up or has there been something else (like a store) that has been worked on that Nintendo has been creating for other titles?

TT: That’s actually something that we’re working on now. We actually have a lot of different options, but we’re trying to figure out what would be the best for this game. We could use Miiverse as a platform, possibly export videos to YouTube or we can have something built straight into Mario Maker, and we’re just evaluating our options right now.

NZG: Would there be the capabilities to view attached videos uploaded to YouTube from inside Mario Maker to look at a run through before downloading a course?

TT: Among many, many things we’re considering, we do have some of those ideas, but we just haven’t made any decisions about what we’re actually going to do.

NZG: We’ve seen in the demo we have the old school NES style Mario Bros., and we have the Wii U Mario Bros. style. Is there likely to be other styles added to Mario Maker in the form of the Mario Bros. 3 or the GameBoy titles?

TT: We have tons of ideas, but it’s still early we just haven’t decided. But we are considering all of those things. We were considering having more, of what we call “skins” or “art styles”, for the E3 version but we thought it might be too complicated and so we chose to only show two.

NZG: At the moment all we’ve seen is the course creation, is there going to be more to Mario Maker or will it just be about the creation and sharing of levels?

TT: First, I’d like to say that we’re thinking about music. We haven’t decided exactly how far we’d like to go with it, but in any case we do want to make a simple way to have fun creating your own music. The people working on Mario Maker, they want to do a lot of things with this tool. They’re having fun with it themselves, so we’re thinking of a lot of things. Actually, we have so many ideas that we’re having a hard time narrowing down what we actually want to put in this game.

NZG: Is there going to be the ability to have multiplayer/co-op like what we see in New Super Mario Bros Wii and Wii U? If not, will there be different selectable characters?

TT: Yes, I would like to use other characters, for one, and as far as multiplayer, I’m pretty set on probably not. What’s important about this game is the creation part, and we really want to focus on that.

Full interview here

http://nzgamer.com/features/1345/exclusive-interview-with-nintendos-takashi-tezuka.html

I thought people hated the NSMB physics.

Only the hardcore SMB players and some other retro fans. On the whole people either wouldn't have been familiar enough with the original games to notice explicit differences or would have preferred NSMB's take. If NSMB has been released with SMB physics you can be sure the game would instantly have lost a huge amount of it's appeal due to how outdated they were.

There's no reason to hate the NSMB physics...they're pretty much the same as Mario World's, but with NSMB having extra jumping abilities.

Yeah I'll actually be pretty sad if the game is strictly Mario 1 physics only.  NSMB is the current standard, I wanna make levels for that.

I hope at least they add the high bounce you get from holding down A when jumping on enemies from NSMB (or more of, every game from 3 onwards).  The absence of that will remove so many fun design opportunities.

Plus SMB1's physics are garbage. They're fine in that game but I wouldn't be able to stand them otherwise. It's to the point where I think the All-Stars version really brings out the worst in that game, and I have to stick with the NES original just to not be thrown off by the different looking graphics.

• Thumbs Up 4

Precise platforming is impossible when your traction is shit.

Even if you're fucking walking in SMB1 you will slide at least a full brick, which is more than enough to screw you up. 

Yeah, as much as SMB was pretty revolutionary for platformers...it really doesn't control very well, even compared to SMBs 2 and 3.

I'm a bit worried that they may not include alternate physics because they can't come up with a satisfying way to explain and show them to the player. The only thing I can think of is using the graphics of the game that the physics are based on, but that obviously doesn't work if you can switch graphics freely.

So let's talk about how he wants to use other characters...

Cause if I can make my own Waluigi platformer, this is the best game ever.

Now I'm 99% sure he means Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, and maybe, maybe, maaaaaybe if we're very lucky Koizumi walked into the office one day and convinced them to include Peach. But I can dream... I can dream.

Peach and Rosalina got a pretty good reception in 3D World.  I think there's a pretty good chance of Peach being playable in Mario Maker if there are multiple playable characters, given that it's specifically based around user choice.  The only reason not to is if they don't want to program in playable characters playing differently, but even then I think Peach'd have a pretty good shot.

As for the graphics/physics question, I'd just tie physics to each graphics set and call them "SMB Mode," "NSMB Mode" etc. and tell the player that the game will play different depending on which mode it's in.  Or alternatively, I'd create an entirely new hybrid physics system just for Mario Maker, an updated version of SMB's physics.

Given the nature of Mario Maker as a tool for fan-made creations, I think that Nintendo will be listening very carefully to what fans would like to see in such a tool.  I also think that this seems like the sort of game that could easily receive plenty of updates or DLC over time after it's released.  I can't remember if this was meant to be a retail title, but I'd even say there'd be a temptation to handle it like they did Steel Diver: Sub Wars - release a basic version for free, and have a premium version with a lot more stuff and flexibility available for a price.

If I had to come up with a solution, I would say, if they let us choose our physics system, there should be a user preferences option that allows you to select:

Match Visual Style to Mario's Movement Style (Default)

or

Allow me to choose my Visual Style

With the latter option, a little Mario sprite (or model, for NSMB) appears on the level intro screen to signify what game's physics are being used.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

So Mario Maker is now called Super Mario Maker. Confirmed at the Nintendo World Championship event, and no, the name change is not specifically for the event; it's a permanent name change.

Here's a pic for confirmation (thanks Gaf):

CHgFWcEVAAAxW2z.jpg

You can watch gameplay footage of an entire playthrough at the (now finished) Nintendo World Championship stream (quite long though, the entire playthrough I think it's about 45 minutes).

is where footage of SMM starts, but
is when a really amazing sequence of the final round playthrough begins.

If you just want a few tastes rather than the full package, here are some gifs from the Gaf thread from the stream (as well as a video clip posted by Wario64 on Twitter.

urJjgqL.gif

Zx1p2NI.gif

LividNewHedgehog.gif

PettyAnchoredArcticduck.gif

...where do you guys think 2D Mario will go from here? If SMM isn't the pinnacle of it, I'd say it took a giant step towards it. I'm personally of the opinion that the NSMB line ends with U and SMM; and that a new style of 2D Mario starts with the next Nintendo console / handheld.

Either way, this game looks incredible. Bet it's going to sell like hotcakes for Wii U owners, maybe moreso than any previous Wii U title.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I'm definitely going to get it. Mostly to play other people's games.

Nice that Warp Pipes and doors now work to jump you elsewhere in the map.

This looks really cool! Especially after the Championships!

Now if only I didn't suck at games, then I could actually play the brutal levels people will upload.

Bowser's new SMW sprite looks incredibly swanky and awesome, it can probably even beat his SMB3 sprite which has appeared in many a sprite animation (like Randy Solem's Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom series) I'm terms of how good it is.

And I just know people will complain that it breaks the palette limitations of SMW

Post-Stanley Cup Edit:

My friend Molly from Ontario already did.  But she managed to recreate Bowser's SMW sprite and dressed him up in the original pallettes

New trailer!

Wii U - Super Mario Maker E3 2015 Trailer:

Nothing really new though but I believe some new stuff have been shown on here like:

Auto scrolling level are confirmed to be on here. Still not sure how you can make them though.

100 Mario challenge ( not really sure how it works, 100 lives to beat hardcore levels?)

Amiibo is being supported in this game so far Link, Wii fit trainer, marth and Luigi are pretty much confirmed for it. Well Link and Wii fit were confirmed but we soon footage of marth and Luigi. I'm sure we will get a toad and rosalina too.

Can we get a sonic one on here too? That would be cool lol.

Being able to swim under water with yoshi is also cool. In the Nsmb console games they never had levels were we can bring yoshi underwater or on top but in hacks for Nsmb Wii yoshi would just simply fall through the water with you jumping off lol but I'm glad he can go underwater now.

I believe that's it for anything new but I'm sure gamexplain will find some new bits in the trailer and the footage of the digital event.

Sad to see Nintendo did really bad in today's presentation nothing hype worthy for me. I'm super hyped for Mario maker but they didn't really showed off anything new from the game yet they spend alot of time on it in the direct.

Anyways, how many of you guys sold on this game?

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly I have a feeling a lot of the Amiibo will be available to use.

They changed the Spin jump in NSMBU...it works like the Mario World spin jump now, that's cool.

EDIT: Wrong thread

Edited by Inkling no Klonoa

Or right I forgot about the spin jump! That's actually sick that they have it on the NSMB physics.

One thing has crossed my mind though are the power ups. We haven't seen the specific game power ups jump into other styles like the propeller shroom, the tanooki and the cap power up. Has it been confirmed that we can use these power ups with all other styles? It would be super nice if we could use them.

Damn, the possibilities really are pretty endless with this one. I wish this came out when I was fourteen so I could have hours and hours to kill playing it...

One thing has crossed my mind though are the power ups. We haven't seen the specific game power ups jump into other styles like the propeller shroom, the tanooki and the cap power up. Has it been confirmed that we can use these power ups with all other styles? It would be super nice if we could use them.

They've converted an incredible amount of material between art styles they didn't exist in before, so I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same for all the power-ups.

Got a menu of some of the items.

jSXK28.png

I do kinda wish it was more organized though like have an enemy section and have a tile section and power ups. Everything is too mix up together and might make it hard to find specific things.

It could be just for the demo though so I hope they will have it all organized at release.

I'm still curious how the Amiibo support works. I've only seen it work for the original Mario Bros. styles.

Naw its confirmed that it only works in the style of SMB 1. They mention it during the first showing of Mario maker in the Nintendo treehouse and when they showed of Wii fit.

It would of been interesting to see how they would look in the other styles. Although to be honest they probably wouldn't look too good in the NSMBU version. It would look weird.