Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

Wasn't DK64 a rare game? I thought that was the reason why it never got on the wii shop channel.

I don't see how it being a Rare game prevents them from porting it. Nintendo owns the license. The only thing that could remotely cause that is the Rare properties in the game, and that stuff has been changed and removed in the past.

Coming from a Kotaku interview...

"If you think back it's very similar to what we did with the e-Reader, the card readers that existed for the Game Boy Advance. I had been wanting to have not as an optional accessory but as a built in piece of functionality the ability to have this interaction of reading and saving data with a physical object for quite some time. And that was why we made the decision to include it with Wii U to begin with. And since the launch of Wii U we've been thinking of what's the most appealing form factor for a physical object that has this functionality that people would see it and just want to own it and ultimately we decided that it was the characters themselves." - Shigeru Miyamoto

I really did like the idea of the E-reader, and wished it wasn't such a failure back in the day, because it was a great idea.

"I haven't played it myself, but I have heard quite a bit about it. I think Takahashi knows more about it than I do. But I like that style of game, and I look at Mario Maker as being something in a similar vein. Our hardware is the only hardware that you can do both the touch control and stick control. Maybe we're meeting with them! Who knows?" - Shigeru Miyamoto 

"We've always thought internally that using the [Wii U] GamePad would probably make for a Minecraft that's very easy to play and, of course, if we were to do something with Minecraft on the 3DS, similarly we would probably do it where it would be easier to play and could probably reach a lot of kids. What's interesting is that, in Japan, Minecraft is not popular in the way it is in the U.S. and Europe, so we've also thought that, if we were able to do a partnership like that, it might bring opportunity to help make Minecraft more popular in Japan." - Shinya Takahashi 

http://kotaku.com/what-nintendos-top-game-creators-think-of-minecraft-1593839008

Minecraft is a dangerous thing to troll people about Miyamoto.

Does anyone actually play Minecraft on anything other than PC? Honestly. And even then Notch pissed off most of his playerbase.

Also more virtual console shit, yay.

Does anyone actually play Minecraft on anything other than PC? Honestly. And even then Notch pissed off most of his playerbase.

If the 360 version manages to keep making the top 10 NPD, then that must mean it sales. 

So what did Notch say?

Wouldn't know, I don't play the game.

All I know is that in one of the patches severely broke the game somehow and people lashed out.

I know a lot of people play the Sony versions and seem to like it.

So what did Notch say?

What i knew was that basically all the griefing communities were pissed by the constant prevention systems introduced with each patch, and decided to abandon the game.

I know a lot of people play the Sony versions and seem to like it.

What i knew was that basically all the griefing communities were pissed by the constant prevention systems introduced with each patch, and decided to abandon the game.

Serves them right then. From everything I've seen, everything Notch says pisses people off these days. 

Really glad to see Nintendo 64 VC on the way since unless modded via an early US/JP system have problems displaying it, however I have a feeling that there wouldn't be many games on there and a couple that I wouldn't mind to see won't be there due to rights issues.

They do, just a different age group (mainly the young kids but you do get some older people play them). The 360 and the PS3 versions have been in the Top 10 charts in the UK as long as the games have been out, the mobile versions must do pretty well as well. Plus the game is fairly cheap to buy for a physical disc compared to many other alternatives [more expensive than mobile and quite pricey compared to many DD games though]. As for Notch and the playerbase, the console versions aren't done by Mojang and even then unless the game is broken on consoles, some people wouldn't even know and possibly don't mind regarding little changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Minecraft on Wii U would be fantastic. The gamepad for menus would make an amazing alternative for the mouse and keyboard, at least compared to other console versions. 

Also I can't really find any faults in the new MC? What exactly is wrong with it?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's the hunger bar and the rpg elements in survival. Minecraft used to be about using your creations to fend off monsters, but they've made it too complex and it's kind of lost it's charm.

Really? That's a newer thing? I actually found the hunger bar to be a neat mechanic.

It's a good idea for harder modes, but it does hinder your progress quite a lot even on the easier difficulties. If you don't eat, you die. While that is true to real life, it severely limits what you can do and where you can go depending on your food supply. And if there aren't any animals or apples around, you're in trouble.

I don't see how it being a Rare game prevents them from porting it. Nintendo owns the license. The only thing that could remotely cause that is the Rare properties in the game, and that stuff has been changed and removed in the past.

What's preventing DK64 from ever being on VC is Jetpac. For those who don't know, Jetpac is completely owned by Microsoft. From what we know, everything else in DK64 is owned by Nintendo. VC releases are just pure emulation, and replacing Jetpac would be too much work. It's the same reason they didn't bother translating Rondo of Blood for its VC release. The weird thing with DK64 besides Jetpac is that we don't know exactly who owns what. See, prior to the buyout, Rare owned Chunky, Lanky, and Tiny, and they gave Nintendo the rights to those characters in exchange for complete ownership over Banjo. The problem with that is we don't know who else Rare owned from DK64, and we don't know if those characters are still owned by Nintendo or Rare/Microsoft. All we know is Nintendo owns all the Kongs. I think it's all too much work for Nintendo to bother with just to put DK64 on the Virtual Console.

Diddy Kong Racing is more clear. We know for a fact that it can never be on the Virtual Console. The only parts of that game that Nintendo owns are Diddy and Krunch; everyone else belongs to Microsoft.

The Donkey Kong Country games, however, have no known copyright issues. I have no clue why Nintendo ever removed them from the Virtual Console in the first place. A popular theory is that it was due to the explicit references to Killer Instinct present in DKC2, but if that wasn't a problem when they were first put on VC, I fail to see why it'd be an issue now, I also don't see how that would affect DKC and DKC3. After all, they're just references. If it comes down to it, they could pull a Yoshi's Island and put the GBA versions of the games on the VC, since there are no Killer Instinct references at all in those, but the GBA versions are extremely inferior to the originals. Especially in the case of DKC2. I am one of the few people who like the DKC3 GBA soundtrack, though.

So.....we gonna see a GCN VC soon, Nintendo? Pretty please? With Melee and Luigi's Mansion? Pwetty pwease?

*words*

I would suppose Nintendo owns every Kremling in the game. And some of the more trivial NPCs no one cares about. 

Nintendo owns all of the Kremlings straight up, there's no dispute about that. It's the Troff n' Scoffs of the world that might fill up the gray area.

What's preventing DK64 from ever being on VC is Jetpac. For those who don't know, Jetpac is completely owned by Microsoft. From what we know, everything else in DK64 is owned by Nintendo. VC releases are just pure emulation, and replacing Jetpac would be too much work. It's the same reason they didn't bother translating Rondo of Blood for its VC release. The weird thing with DK64 besides Jetpac is that we don't know exactly who owns what. See, prior to the buyout, Rare owned Chunky, Lanky, and Tiny, and they gave Nintendo the rights to those characters in exchange for complete ownership over Banjo. The problem with that is we don't know who else Rare owned from DK64, and we don't know if those characters are still owned by Nintendo or Rare/Microsoft. All we know is Nintendo owns all the Kongs. I think it's all too much work for Nintendo to bother with just to put DK64 on the Virtual Console.

Diddy Kong Racing is more clear. We know for a fact that it can never be on the Virtual Console. The only parts of that game that Nintendo owns are Diddy and Krunch; everyone else belongs to Microsoft.

The Donkey Kong Country games, however, have no known copyright issues. I have no clue why Nintendo ever removed them from the Virtual Console in the first place. A popular theory is that it was due to the explicit references to Killer Instinct present in DKC2, but if that wasn't a problem when they were first put on VC, I fail to see why it'd be an issue now, I also don't see how that would affect DKC and DKC3. After all, they're just references. If it comes down to it, they could pull a Yoshi's Island and put the GBA versions of the games on the VC, since there are no Killer Instinct references at all in those, but the GBA versions are extremely inferior to the originals. Especially in the case of DKC2. I am one of the few people who like the DKC3 GBA soundtrack, though.

I suppose. A remake of DK64 would be nice for 3DS.

I didn't realize Rare ever owned Tiny, Chunky, and Lanky. But apparently Nintendo partially owned the rights to Banjo-Kazooie, as well, so in that sense they basically just made a fair trade; Nintendo gets the rest of the rights to DKC and Rare gets the full rights to Banjo-Kazooie. (Not that Microsoft has done anything with Banjo-Kazooie.)

And yeah, Nintendo does own the Kremlings as they have used the Kremlings since Rare went to Microsoft.

We could get A Diddy Kong Racing on wii-u VC, only it would be Diddy Kong DS that is :P

Nintendo owns all of the Kremlings straight up, there's no dispute about that. It's the Troff n' Scoffs of the world that might fill up the gray area.

Then perhaps we can hope this; I believe a rumor had stirred up a year ago that N64 games were being remastered for the Wii U VC. (It would explain why the N64 has taken so long to bring to the VC.) It could be possible if that were the case for Nintendo to basically drop the Rare stuff from DK64.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having Gamecube games come to VC would be wonderful, but I think the main problem there is the difference in the triggers on the Wii U to the GC ones (or even most triggers in general).

That main difference is that the Wii U triggers are just basically buttons, while GC triggers are analog and some movements (such as using the FLUDD while running and transitioning to stand-still usage in Sunshine) require it. While yes, Sunshine also has the ability to press Y and switch back and forth between running mode and standing mode, this doesn't necessarily apply with other games on the system.

That one little design flaw in the Gamepad may end up being what stops GC titles on Virtual Console, and if they decide to go through with it then they may have to alter the control schemes somewhat to fit what the gamepad can offer.

I suppose. A remake of DK64 would be nice for 3DS.

Rare would have to handle that. Unfortunately, Rare's handheld team was shut down after Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise. The were shifted to XBLA development briefly, but eventually merged with the rest of Rare for Kinect development. It can also be assumed that multiple members of Rare's former handheld team have left the company.

I didn't realize Rare ever owned Tiny, Chunky, and Lanky. But apparently Nintendo partially owned the rights to Banjo-Kazooie, as well, so in that sense they basically just made a fair trade; Nintendo gets the rest of the rights to DKC and Rare gets the full rights to Banjo-Kazooie. (Not that Microsoft has done anything with Banjo-Kazooie.)

The ownership issues are really complicated. Prior to the buyout, Banjo was 100% owned by Nintendo, despite Rare developing the games. It's the same thing as Rare developing DKC and Nintendo owning the license. All the characters from DKC were all owned by Nintendo because the games were owned by Nintendo. Come the N64 era, the DK license got more complicated. Rare owned Diddy Kong Racing the game and all the characters who weren't Diddy or Krunch. All the made-for-DK64 Kongs were owned by Rare, and we can make an assumption that the other non-Kong characters made in DK64 were owned by Rare at some point.

When Microsoft bought Rare, the mutual respect trade was made. Nintendo created DK, so Rare gave them their DK characters; Rare made Banjo, so Nintendo gave up the rights to Banjo. The confusing thing with DK64 is it was never specified if Nintendo owns all the characters from that game, we only know they own the Kongs and Kremlings.

We could get A Diddy Kong Racing on wii-u VC, only it would be Diddy Kong DS that is tongue.png

Nope. Like I said, all the characters from DKR that aren't Diddy or Krunch are Microsoft's property. The misconception that Nintendo owns most of the characters comes from the fact that Banjo and Conker weren't in DKRDS. This isn't the case. Conker not appearing is for obvious reasons, and we don't know the exact reason Banjo wasn't in it. We can assume that it's because Nintendo didn't want to promote a Microsoft property, or that they though Banjo appearing would cause confusion in the who-owns-who debacle. Microsoft still owns Timber, Tiptup, Drumstick, Pipsy, Wizpig, Taj, TT, Pipsy, and Bumper, but you wouldn't know that because Microsoft never uses them.

The existence of DKRDS was because Microsoft doesn't have a handheld to compete with Nintendo's, so Rare was still able to release games for Nintendo's handhelds. In fact, they were still allowed to make DK games as long as it was on a handheld. Rare actually kept a handheld team in-house for the majority of their time of Microsoft. They did the DKC remakes, a couple Banjo spinoffs, Sabre Wulf, It's Mr. Pants, DKRDS, and Viva Pinata DS. Microsoft wouldn't publish these games, so Rare had to approach other companies to do that. Nintendo obviously had to publish the DK games and THQ did the rest. Unfortunately, THQ did not advertise the games at all, they all bombed, and the handheld team was eventually shut down.

The point is even DKRDS can't be on the Virtual Console.

That one little design flaw in the Gamepad may end up being what stops GC titles on Virtual Console, and if they decide to go through with it then they may have to alter the control schemes somewhat to fit what the gamepad can offer.

Um....

2544300-wiiusmash.jpg

Um....

2544300-wiiusmash.jpg

:V That would fix it.

But that also wouldn't fix it for anyone who wants to play it with the standard Pro Controller. Or.. you know, playing it on the Gamepad. And considering Nintendo wouldn't expect everyone to have a GC controller adapter as well as want to focus on the benefits of the Gamepad, you know they wouldn't limit it to just that.

I can see them giving support for it, though. I'm all up for that.

• Thumbs Up 1