Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

If anything were to happen to Penders, would his character be up for grabs again? I mean who would own them?

I wonder if Sonic even cares that his own parents have been erased.

If anything were to happen to Penders, would his character be up for grabs again? I mean who would own them?

If anything were to happen to Penders, and let's not go down this road please, the characters would still belong to him. He owns them outright. They won't magically become public domain. Criticize the man as a professional all you want, but this shit isn't worth getting that upset about.

I'm sure Sonic did care, but his memories of the old world are fading/gone at this point; even Tails said it's like a vivid dream that fades after you've woken up.

If anything were to happen to Penders, would his character be up for grabs again?

No, because nothing is going to happen to Penders, because anything happening to Penders over friggin comic book characters speaks of a foolishness and naivete beyond what even the man himself is capable of.

• Thumbs Up 5

...Please don't tell me you are contemplating harrasment/stalking/threats/violence against Penders. Not only is that never okay, no matter how much of a douchebag the person is, but certain authority figures take that sh*t seriously. If nothing else, you'll get the mods all over you and possibly suspend/ban you.

As for the CGI models, didn't Ken also say he didn't like the art of one of the good artists for the Sonic comics? I can't remember if he did or not and who the artist was but I think I recall something along those lines.

Also, it wasn't just Ben Bates that Penders slammed. He's also talked trash about Tracy Yardley; accusing him of not being as good or expressive as one of his old collaborators like Art Mawhinney.

• Thumbs Up 4

I was thinking it was Tracy who Ken had bashed. It's funny considering Ken himself was one of the worst artists to come through the comics and his artwork not having much detail but then again I forgot that It's Ken Penders we are talking about and he probably believes he is the best thing to have ever happened to Archie and the comic book industry in general.

In hindsight, entertaining Johnny's question at all probably wasn't the brightest thing I've done lately (I probably should've approached it like those that posted below me, but at the same time I didn't see any harm in laying out the cold hard truth about the characters either), so I went back and emphasized that it's not a road we need to go down.

I was thinking it was Tracy who Ken had bashed. It's funny considering Ken himself was one of the worst artists to come through the comics and his artwork not having much detail but then again I forgot that It's Ken Penders we are talking about and he probably believes he is the best thing to have ever happened to Archie and the comic book industry in general.

Penders has bashed Yardley in the past, saying his work wasn't expressive... which is an odd thing to accuse Yardley of, and a stone Penders shouldn't be throwing, but whatever.

I'm curious if Ken ever watched Linkara's review of Sonic Live.

...Please don't tell me you are contemplating harrasment/stalking/threats/violence against Penders. Not only is that never okay, no matter how much of a douchebag the person is, but certain authority figures take that sh*t seriously. If nothing else, you'll get the mods all over you and possibly suspend/ban you.

Also, it wasn't just Ben Bates that Penders slammed. He's also talked trash about Tracy Yardley; accusing him of not being as good or expressive as one of his old collaborators like Art Mawhinney.

I don't have the guts for such a thing, first of all. Second, no one stays around forever, but characters however do. Meaning, even after Penders' time in the biz, they would pretty much be floating in purgatory (like anyone who is killed by King Piccolo and his demons, unable to pass on). Now wouldn't that be an even bigger waste of characters, if they're pretty much banned for eternity? Because of some law/dated court ruling, no one in existence would be able to use them for anything. And even though they were always legal and non-controversal, in a way, they would be too illegal to touch than any depiction of Muhammed. Now how far on the scale of prohibited usage does an ex-creator's characters rank in comparison to an infringement on holy Muslim beliefs.

Now I'm not one to compare fictional characters to religious figures, but that's what this is starting to sound like, and I hope Penders comes to realize that. You can't play "keep-away" with what's pointless to take with you when it's time.

....I.....

........You know what? I think we need a bit of a laugh. So I'll shamelessly repost some of Ken's "brilliance" from earlier in this thread's life.

Since I doubt that Many Hands was just one person's pseudonym, I catagorize that as not even being a real artist. Fry is definitely down towards the bottom, but I'd rather go up to bat for him than Lim or Penders.

Hell, even when he was drawing Sonic, he gave us stuff like this (my apologies for the multiple pics of "professional artwork":

Tommywes.PNG

And even his non-Sonic stuff was already godawful...

axfq8ud.jpg

And let's not forget Julie-Su Chronicles Mk 1 art...

Lien-DaFA1.jpg

Lara-Su.PNG

Which is now this...

Lara-Su_Pro.jpg

They don't have to. :3c

tumblr_mqd5rqi4oe1rlmkzto1_500.jpg

And your description was skimping it a smidge.

Ironic, given in the grand scheme of his tenure, Penders barely gave two sh*ts about Sonic. That incredibly stupid name he tried to make canon (which, in a sane world, Archie & SEGA would have said "Hell friggin' no!") is just the cherry on the sundae that was Ken's apathy for the character who allowed him to have freakin' work.

And now... brace yourselves. I present to you, Kenders' concept are for his (SatAM?) Sonic movie. I believe the one he sabotaged Ben Hurst for. I'm sorry. I am so sorry. But I can't help myself.

tumblr_lyktrobz2X1rnsvazo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lylc0kRkIL1rnsvazo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lymvifew3F1rnsvazo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lynaxxdjHE1rnsvazo1_1280.jpg

Why does about 90 percent of his artwork seem to be done in MS Paint.

And his shading, it just doesn't seem that natural.

I swear in the Digimon picture, one of the kids appear to have a mustache.

Ugh...That art...That horrible horrible art.

...And Ken still believes he can and should be bashing Tracy and Ben Bates who have more talent as an artist in their pinkie than Ken?

Oh.  Ew.

Hello! Posts that don't add much content aren't looked upon kindly here. Please make sure your posts are of a reasonable length and add to discussion so as to avoid coming off as spam.

As was already suggested by a member, let's not go down this road.

Ugh...That art...That horrible horrible art.

...And Ken still believes he can and should be bashing Tracy and Ben Bates who have more talent as an artist in their pinkie than Ken?

This is the same guy who believes Sony should come to HIM to do a Sonic film and should use HIS ideas despite his actions and despite how flagrantly awful a lot of them are. There really is no limit to the man's stupidity and ego. 

Hello! Posts that don't add much content aren't looked upon kindly here. Please make sure your posts are of a reasonable length and add to discussion so as to avoid coming off as spam.

As was already suggested by a member, let's not go down this road.

My apologies. I just didn't have anything else to add besides "ew". Again, my apologies.

Hey look, a Lara-Su Chronicles wiki.

*Looks about the wiki*

"Anti-Freedom Fighters (Suppression Squad) - still usable by Archie in their current incarnations"

Uh, somebody want to shuffle over and tell them?

Also they haven't got Matilda down despite her being gone due to Penders.

Hey look, a Lara-Su Chronicles wiki.

Well at least it's run satirically...

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of legal takedown notice that Penders could issue for the wiki to be removed or turned over to him, though.

I mean yeah that sorta punitive action makes for bad PR but... since when has that stopped him?

Check out this description of Althair: 

Althair was an Echidna who originally belonged to Gallagher, but was arranged to be used by Ken Penders to make his upcoming story, the Lara-Su Chronicles, better. Basically in order to prop up his believed-to-be-dead series.

I guess he thinks that his characters aren't enough to carry out the comics supposed success.

When Bram Stokers died, 'Dracula' and all of its characters went to his wife, which is why she was able to sue the makers of 'Nosferatu' and have every copy of the film destroyed (or so she thought). Things don't really become public domain any more (like Shakespeare, 'Frankenstein', etc.), because copyright laws are so much tighter today than they used to be. When Penders shuffles off this mortal coil, his characters will be part of his estate. It's up to him who they'll go to at that point. At least, I assume so. If anyone understands inheritance and copyright law better, do please correct me.

Yeah, I believe in the US at least, copyright has been extended to over 100 years without renewal by the family/estate that owns it. Its the reason tbe Happy Birthday song will not even come close to falling in public domain again in any of our life times.

The only way for said characters to return, feasibly, would for for the legal owner to sell the intellectual property back to SEGA, which they will most likely not bother with due to all the legal drama. And that won't bring back the lost characters from other like Bollers or Fulop.

In any event, we're talking about something that's decades away from happening. Chances are, the Sonic comic won't even still be around by then. But then again, I never expected it to last until 2014. And who'd have thought that Superman would endure for nearly a century? But then, Superman's not based on a series of videogames that seems to constantly be on the brink of collapse. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the same guy who believes Sony should come to HIM to do a Sonic film and should use HIS ideas despite his actions and despite how flagrantly awful a lot of them are. There really is no limit to the man's stupidity and ego.

Eh, it'll make the crash n' burn so much sweeter, but then he considered The Lost Ones a best seller... I have a feeling he'll still ignore the reality and/or blame LSC's failure on multiple factors such as SEGA sabotaging him or some nonsense. I wouldn't put it past him.

I'm the kind of person who accepts that different people have different tastes and I wholeheartedly reject the notion that there is such a thing as "objectively" good or bad entertainment, because that's a matter of opinion, which is subjective, and it really doesn't hurt anyone if you like or dislike a particular book, film, game, or comic. But there are certain things that can be quantified, and success is one of them. In what universe is a single issue comic that bombed a "bestseller"? 

I'm the kind of person who accepts that different people have different tastes and I wholeheartedly reject the notion that there is such a thing as "objectively" good or bad entertainment, because that's a matter of opinion, which is subjective, and it really doesn't hurt anyone if you like or dislike a particular book, film, game, or comic. But there are certain things that can be quantified, and success is one of them. In what universe is a single issue comic that bombed a "bestseller"?

Uh... Penders's universe?

And believe me, I wish I was making that up. It actually says so in the Lost Ones movie trailer (don't worry, it's uploaded to somebody else's channel, so you won't be giving Penders any views).

Keep in mind that while The Lost Ones was canceled when Image was restructuring (along with some other titles), I have a feeling there's more to the story. It only sold about 4000 copies, last I checked, and I kinda doubt the top brass at Image were happy with how Penders portrayed the Image-verse to begin with in the Sonic crossover (they barely amount to anything, much like the Sonic characters, except Knuckles because Penders). But, just going by what was seen of Particle and Droid in the Sonic crossover, the Lost Ones was doomed to fail anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1