Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Rule of thumb in terms of Ken Penders: If he made it, it's perfect and amazing. If he didn't, then it sucks ass. There is literally no middle ground or realization, only eternal delusion.

Myep, pretty much. It doesn't matter that many of his characters were beginning to enjoy a surge in popularity under Flynn's pen; someone was tampering with HIS stuff, and so it was worthless by default. It doesn't matter that Anti-Sonic is perhaps the single most generic take on the 'evil double' in the history of media; any development not directly overseen and mandated by him is not a development at all. 

It is for that very reason that when TL-SC most likely fails, hopefully It will finally be a reality trip for the man. Although most likely, He'll claim it as a smash hit like he does for The Lost Ones and claim that it was other factors that caused the book to go down like he does when he's talking about the Knuckles sales.

Again, I've had the supreme misfortune to read The Lost Ones. He can spin it all he likes, but the fact is, it is *dreadful*, on every imaginable level. There is nothing out there on it; no reviews, no articles, no anything. Do you have any idea how much of a flop a comic has to be in order to be so utterly, totally and thoroughly forgotten as the Lost Ones? If it were even close to being a hit of any kind, people would talk about it, fan-art would exist, it'd at least be a cult classic. 

It's a one hit blunder, and deservedly so. 

It'd be easier than you'd think. getting Scourge back; see, just have the 'Anti-Mobius' being Moebius to begin with and Scourge being Scourge to begin with. All of the deeper details of his past, personality and more unique look came from Flynn. It was established that Anti-Moebius started to get called Moebius when Scourge took over, as he also did with forcing the other Anti-FF's to take different names from their counterparts... there's enough material that Flynn could potentially just use 'Moebius' as a distinct take on the 'mirror world' concept. Much as Penders likes to scream about that, he doesn't own the concept; all he owns is a very flat, forgettable take on an opposite world Mobius that he could only call 'Anti-Mobius'. 

So yeah, Scourge could make a return, though his backstory and 'deal' would have to be altered so as to make it clear he was never the Anti-Sonic he used to be in the previous continuity. 

Well, if the Super Genesis Wave carried effects through the multiverse, and assuming the multiverse collapsing on itself only means the worlds are no longer connected by the Cosmic Interstate (meaning No-Zone and the Zone Cop Corp are gone), it's not out of the question the characters' histories could be reworked much like Mobius Prime/Sonic's world have been.

One can hope, anyway. Better than considering the alternative...

Myep, pretty much. It doesn't matter that many of his characters were beginning to enjoy a surge in popularity under Flynn's pen; someone was tampering with HIS stuff, and so it was worthless by default. It doesn't matter that Anti-Sonic is perhaps the single most generic take on the 'evil double' in the history of media; any development not directly overseen and mandated by him is not a development at all. 

It's really a shame he had no interest in seeing what Flynn had done with the characters. Barring building up a bit of a bodycount early in his run, Flynn managed to do more with many of those old characters and concepts in a shorter amount of time than most of the old writers did in years. Hell, I credit him with getting me to like most of them as much as I did, because they were finally pulling their weight after years of just taking up space and shunting Sonic and friends to the side.

Given how Evil Sonic was written by Ken, I honestly doubt their wouldn't be any development on him. He would probably be the same generic asshole who wants to sound as what Technus from Danny Phantom would say ''Hip'' and ''In with it''

Given how Evil Sonic was written by Ken, I honestly doubt their wouldn't be any development on him. He would probably be the same generic asshole who wants to sound as what Technus from Danny Phantom would say ''Hip'' and ''In with it''

Except when Technus did it, it was funny because he was clearly an old guy trying and failing to be 'with it', and nobody pretended otherwise. 

When Evil Sonic did it, we're meant to take it seriously, and so, it fails. Miserably. 

I agree completely, It's always great to see Technus in DP because he is just so funny trying to sound young and cool but failing but he's meant to be a joke while as you said, Evil Sonic is meant to be seriously cool...Is Technus' attempts of being cool a parody of Evil Sonic?! :o 

Probably not because ya know, Technus was a unique character who wasn't that generic, Evil Sonic.....well.......

As much as I liked the idea and execution of Scourge in the comics a lot better than Shadow in the games and the comics, I still don't really see the need for more evil/chaotic type clones of Sonic. I've always been of the mind that Metal Sonic is enough and makes far more sense in universe than the other two.

It stands to reason if your dealing with a mad scientist that makes robots as the main villain of your story that of course the well overused since the dawn of time concept of an evil version of the hero would be a robot in this case, designed to look like Sonic and try be to his equal in speed and what not but work for the bad guy.

Make Metal or Mecha more of a danger, less of a punching bag, give him some development and make him into the threat outside of Eggman that the heroes really should be worried about. Cold hearted nasty killing machine with the "I'm the real Sonic" complex that he's spose to be.

Kinda careening off topic but its one thing that's never made sense to me. How did we go from Metal, a rival that made sense to some black version of Sonic with a convoluted background dealing with grandfathers, generic manipulation, possibly being a robot but not, little girl childhood friends, aliens, guns and vehicles, and with a constant grimace on his face. Hell like I said even Scourges backstory is more acceptable than all that crap Shadows been through. But eh somehow he's popular so he keeps coming back, which ruined his perfect and redeeming ending in SA2..but what does that matter when the fans want him back, we will just make up some weird stuff to explain why he's back and never fully get to the bottom of it.

Man I have some pent up angst against him don't i? Haha

• Thumbs Up 3

As much as I liked the idea and execution of Scourge in the comics a lot better than Shadow in the games and the comics, I still don't really see the need for more evil/chaotic type clones of Sonic. I've always been of the mind that Metal Sonic is enough and makes far more sense in universe than the other two.

It stands to reason if your dealing with a mad scientist that makes robots as the main villain of your story that of course the well overused since the dawn of time concept of an evil version of the hero would be a robot in this case, designed to look like Sonic and try be to his equal in speed and what not but work for the bad guy.

Make Metal or Mecha more of a danger, less of a punching bag, give him some development and make him into the threat outside of Eggman that the heroes really should be worried about. Cold hearted nasty killing machine with the "I'm the real Sonic" complex that he's spose to be.

Kinda careening off topic but its one thing that's never made sense to me. How did we go from Metal, a rival that made sense to some black version of Sonic with a convoluted background dealing with grandfathers, generic manipulation, possibly being a robot but not, little girl childhood friends, aliens, guns and vehicles, and with a constant grimace on his face. Hell like I said even Scourges backstory is more acceptable than all that crap Shadows been through. But eh somehow he's popular so he keeps coming back, which ruined his perfect and redeeming ending in SA2..but what does that matter when the fans want him back, we will just make up some weird stuff to explain why he's back and never fully get to the bottom of it.

And yet the warped thing is, we know more about him (Shadow) and have seen him develop more as a character than Sonic, despite starting out life as a fanfiction cliche. 

And in fairness, this is kind of SEGA's problem in general with storytelling; they bring this kind of stuff up, but tend not to answer it, or when they DO answer it they just end up creating even more questions to begin with. 

And sadly, as it currently stands? Metal Sonic's not allowed to have a personality in the comics, evidently; this one is a SEGA mandate, so evidently they're just gonna pretend Sonic Heroes never happened. 

Going back to the topic of Penders and his general level of suck, let's take a look at the... add campaign, lets call it, for LSC. 

For a guy who talks about how he needs to draw in new fans (logical enough), does anyone notice how much his ads seem to rely on people either knowing the characters or the context? The character pictures we see bring up talk of things in the past tense and act like we should be familiar with the fact that this is a continuation. "New Day, New Heroes, Another Chapter In The Story"... if I had absolutely no clue of Penders or any of this stuff, and could get past the horrible images, I'd just be confused as hell. 

Though I think its been mentioned that Penders is desperately trying to have it both ways here, given that I don't think he has any real confidence that his ideas can stand on their own. 

So Penders is actually mad at Flynn, because he had killed off Locke, who was the equivalent to his own father. Therefore, he got pissed and took away everything he created from the comic.

I gotta say, that's sad....... but still stupid as hell! Compared to the many brushes with death Sonic, Sally, and Knuckles had, why didn't they just simply ressurect Locke and have him off-limits from KIA from that point on? This whole estupido mess could've been avoided of Flynn and Penders had just negotiated like mature adults over Locke's true fate, instead of this petty courtroom battle over character ownership. They could've at least gave some deep consideration of how erasing/jettising half the characters of the Prime Zone would impact the series, the fans (the true fans), and the characters closest to them (I get it, they're not real people, but the whole thing feels plain cheap, as if they're just cash-cow play-things).

• Thumbs Up 2

So Penders is actually mad at Flynn, because he had killed off Locke, who was the equivalent to his own father. Therefore, he got pissed and took away everything he created from the comic.

I gotta say, that's sad....... but still stupid as hell! Compared to the many brushes with death Sonic, Sally, and Knuckles had, why didn't they just simply ressurect Locke and have him off-limits from KIA from that point on? This whole estupido mess could've been avoided of Flynn and Penders had just negotiated like mature adults over Locke's true fate, instead of this petty courtroom battle over character ownership. They could've at least gave some deep consideration of how erasing/jettising half the characters of the Prime Zone would impact the series, the fans (the true fans), and the characters closest to them (I get it, they're not real people, but the whole thing feels plain cheap, as if they're just cash-cow play-things).

Eh Ian Flynn from my understanding didn't really do anything other than fix up Penders' characters. The problem is that Penders' ego is so enormous that he took any changes as an affront. Combined with the whole Dark Brotherhood thing and Archie not having contracts and whatnot and this clusterfuck happened.

Well, if the Super Genesis Wave carried effects through the multiverse, and assuming the multiverse collapsing on itself only means the worlds are no longer connected by the Cosmic Interstate (meaning No-Zone and the Zone Cop Corp are gone), it's not out of the question the characters' histories could be reworked much like Mobius Prime/Sonic's world have been.

One can hope, anyway. Better than considering the alternative...

They could've at least gave some deep consideration of how erasing/jettising half the characters of the Prime Zone would impact the series, the fans (the true fans), and the characters closest to them (I get it, they're not real people, but the whole thing feels plain cheap, as if they're just cash-cow play-things).

From what I can tell, the Super Genesis just created a second continuity (namely the current one) that exists alongside the first one. This means nobody in the old comic was deleted, but they only exist in the original canon.

All and all, this guy seriously needs his own YMMV page on Television Tropes, because I have a few choice tropes to describe him.

...Because it was perhaps the only real, fatherly thing that Locke EVER did for his son, and save him from being brainwashed into an uber-powerful villain who's out to destroy the world? But no, seriously, Locke was at that point really extraneous; hell, he was only around as long as he was because he was shown to be the only member of the Brotherhood to escape being captured & exiled, and there was no rush to get back what was essentially useless characters who did nothing but talk about how something has to be done.

Also, it shouldn't have mattered if Locke was based off of Penders' father; he was supposed to be created for a SEGA licenced comic to be used at whoever's discretion if it need be.

But as mentioned, it was the similarities his characters had to Dark Brotherhood that tipped the scales and had him start his crusade.

From what I can tell, the Super Genesis just created a second continuity (namely the current one) that exists alongside the first one. This means nobody in the old comic was deleted, but they only exist in the original canon.

I don't know what to say. That's not what happened, nothings going to change that, and nothing will ever go back to it or be mentioned or come of the old universe ever again. You can keep holding onto that false hope if you wish, but I think it's just going to hurt you in the end...

All and all, this guy seriously needs his own YMMV page on Television Tropes, because I have a few choice tropes to describe him.

Please don't. TVTropes is actually starting to crack down on slam pages being made of creator entries on that site; to this day, I think that some like Rob Liefeld's is still locked by the mods. And at least Liefeld has spred himself quite a bit in the comics industry, whereas Ken was/is still mostly known as "that former long-term head writer for the Archie Sonic comic".

Please don't. TVTropes is actually starting to crack down on slam pages being made of creator entries on that site; to this day, I think that some like Rob Liefeld's is still locked by the mods. And at least Liefeld has spred himself quite a bit in the comics industry, whereas Ken was/is still mostly known as "that former long-term head writer for the Archie Sonic comic".

It's a very tragic reality when you're less of a reasonable human being than Rob "I nearly destroyed the Comics Industry Entirely" Liefeld. 

See, it's no secret that Rob's characters and ideas are incredibly derivative, poorly executed, and generally very, very bland. He's the poster child for the excesses of the 90s era of comics, displayed most prominently through Image Comics. 

Unlike Penders though, Liefeld has little problem with other people working with his stuff, often doing far greater things with them than he ever could have managed. Deadpool as he is understood today became as he is under another writer's pen, and many of Liefeld's other characters had far greater exposure and characterization under similar circumstances. 

True, he raised a bitchfest when one writer made a character of his bisexual. However, this was just an internet slap fight that flared up and died within the span of a blink, and to my knowledge he didn't try and sue Marvel because of it, and just moved on to other stuff. 

Whereas Ken... did not move on, at all, and still hasn't moved on. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of other realities and authors injecting their own essence into the stuff they work on. I wonder if Ian prefers how he writes the characters in the official comic or if he still has a soft spot for Other M and how certain characters were portyayed in that.

Like Bean is crack up in the comics and I think he's written brilliantly, but he's very different in Other M, and others are quite different too. I wonder if (especially during the reboot process) he tried pitching anything to Sega or Archie regarding certain characters attitudes and personality or if he just went with what they wanted.

I'm glad someone that has a love for all the characters, even the lost ones, is in charge tho. Would have sucked if Sega wanted to axe all the non current game cast and there was no one there to put in a good word. Same goes for the SatAM cast. I am glad we still have some remnants of what used to be. To be honest I'm enjoying the new universe a lot better than the old drama clad one, and Worlds Collide was the perfect way to start it all off and end the other. Such a wicked cross-over, I kinda hope they do another one day, perhaps if they ever get another license like Mario for example.

Speaking of other realities and authors injecting their own essence into the stuff they work on. I wonder if Ian prefers how he writes the characters in the official comic or if he still has a soft spot for Other M and how certain characters were portyayed in that.

Like Bean is crack up in the comics and I think he's written brilliantly, but he's very different in Other M, and others are quite different too. I wonder if (especially during the reboot process) he tried pitching anything to Sega or Archie regarding certain characters attitudes and personality or if he just went with what they wanted.

I'm glad someone that has a love for all the characters, even the lost ones, is in charge tho. Would have sucked if Sega wanted to axe all the non current game cast and there was no one there to put in a good word. Same goes for the SatAM cast. I am glad we still have some remnants of what used to be. To be honest I'm enjoying the new universe a lot better than the old drama clad one, and Worlds Collide was the perfect way to start it all off and end the other. Such a wicked cross-over, I kinda hope they do another one day, perhaps if they ever get another license like Mario for example.

Oh-oh, I can answer this one about Bean! 

I've seen more than a few of his fancomic days before he hit it big; Other-M is very specifically an alternate reality where things turned out different, and the Bean of THAT world is that way because of it. He has always characterized Bean as being as we know him; entertainingly crazy. He's always had him that way, largely because there's nothing to Bean's character other than a propensity for explosives. From that he built up his interpretation, which he now uses in the comics. Other-M Bean being all serious and such is the direct hint that this world is NOT the world Sonic left behind. 

The only real sign of him having a 'Soft Spot' for Other-M was when he had the Freedom Fighters from Other-M show up in that Silver Arc, the one with Dark Enerjak and Lara-Su as Jani-Ca. Otherwise? Bean's always been a crazy goofball to him, and I don't think he's important enough to SEGA for them to care either way. 

I don't know what to say. That's not what happened, nothings going to change that, and nothing will ever go back to it or be mentioned or come of the old universe ever again. You can keep holding onto that false hope if you wish, but I think it's just going to hurt you in the end...

Excuse me? At what point did I suggest that the old comic was going to be continued? I'm fully aware that the new comic is here to stay, so kindly stop insinuating otherwise! All I said was that just because we have a new canon doesn't mean that the old one has been overwritten or deleted. It's only "dead" in the sense that it's been abandoned.

I don't even know why Ken has to raise such a stink about Locke. After Ken left, It was made clear that M25YL is only a possible future in the same way that the future seen in the Teen Titans episode How Long is Forever is only a possible future of what could happen if The Titans feel apart. Another example would be Danny Phantom The Ultimate Enemy where Dark Danny's future was possible but there was still time to alter and change it.

I think Locke's death in Emerjak Reborn was miles better than M25YL mainly for the fact that he went down a hero doing what was best for his son and he saved the planet. Had Locke not gotten rid of the curse placed on Knuckles, Emerjak would have went on to destroy the planet like he did in The Silver Saga in Sonic Universe.

I just don't get why Ken wants M25YL to be the ultimate canon of the Sonic series. That everything that happens in it is the definite future of these characters. That someday Sonic & Knuckles will barely be friends, that Julie-Su becomes way more of a girl and likes having pool parties in swimsuits etc. Remember by the way, this is coming from someone who actually liked what I've read of M25YL (although again, I mainly liked the parts involving Sonic,Knuckles, Sega characters, Julie-Su, and that's probably about it), Is it fine to have it as a possible future? Sure, who's to say Julie-Su won't someday become more of a girl or that Sonic's rivalry with Knuckles gets so out of control that It leads to their friendship beginning to die.

But should it be a definite future? No, especially all things considered that most people hated it and trust me I can see the flaws easily, for example, It's not a great start when you jump into the first part of the exciting future adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog and see a some ugly old Echinda giving a boring ass lecture about the politics of Angel Island with old insults being used (Seriously, who would call someone a beast for making a joke at Lara-Su's expense?)

You know, I remember when Mobius 25 years later arc was going on... I was around, oh, 12, 13, at the time?

Anyways, hated, hated, this story arc. It was probably the most boring thing I've ever read, this was not the Sonic comics I grew to know and love... "What is with all this talking?" I would asked myself, "Where's the humor and action?" With every new issue, I would always groan to myself every time I turned the page, only to find another "25 years later" story. 

Something in the back of my mind would often assure me that I would appreciate this thing when I grew up to be an adult with a longer attention span... Cut to today and I'm not feeling any different than I felt now and it appears that even fellow adults are not interested in this either.

What the heck was Penders thinking? "25 years later" was not enough to keep the attention of a kid, and judging from the posts here, I guess the same goes for the adults... Heck, if anything, it's even more insulting as an adult.

And you're telling me that Penders is so proud of "25 yrs." that he considers it to be the main canon? Blech.

You know, I remember when Mobius 25 years later arc was going on... I was around, oh, 12, 13, at the time?

Anyways, hated, hated, this story arc. It was probably the most boring thing I've ever read, this was not the Sonic comics I grew to know and love... "What is with all this talking?" I would asked myself, "Where's the humor and action?" With every new issue, I would always groan to myself every time I turned the page, only to find another "25 years later" story. 

Something in the back of my mind would often assure me that I would appreciate this thing when I grew up to be an adult with a longer attention span... Cut to today and I'm not feeling any different than I felt now and it appears that even fellow adults are not interested in this either.

What the heck was Penders thinking? "25 years later" was not enough to keep the attention of a kid, and judging from the posts here, I guess the same goes for the adults... Heck, if anything, it's even more insulting as an adult.

And you're telling me that Penders is so proud of "25 yrs." that he considers it to be the main canon? Blech.

He said that if Archie wanted to use his characters, three things had to done. If I remember right, the three things were

1.M25YL was to be made the main future canon

2.Julie-Su,Lara-Su,Locke, and characters featured in TL-SC couldn't be killed off

3.That issues included these characters would have to be approved by him.

I've always wanted Nack back in a game again since his axing from Sonic X-Treme. But my love for Bean and Bark came from their inclusion in the comics, and especially how Ian has treated them, giving them a great working dynamic with Nack as well as their own fleshed out personalities. As they are now I would love to see them in a game. Which is something Ian does really well, he fleshes them out in a proper fashion and makes you want to see them again.

Where as with Penders I never wanted to see any of the characters he made or fleshed out in a game alongside the Sonic cast. I could have gone a year without Julie-Su and not cared one bit. Even Mighty and Ray and the Chaotix while they were more fleshed out than their game counterparts, I didn't want to see their comic versions in the games (and luckily Sega didn't either when they brought them back). I wanted to see them in the games again yeah, but I wanted to see what Sega would do with them if they were brought back. But Ian's versions I could also see working in a game, the alternate Sonic and Tails type team for Mighty and Ray works well on a lot of levels.

Probably sounds like I'm a raving Ian supporter in this respect but I'm more than willing to admit there's been screw ups along the way, that he isn't perfect, no one is. But his storytelling and character development makes me care for characters more than Penders ever did and the way Ian tells it, you can see it working in a Sonic game, you can see it being "official", where as Ken's romance drama was totally not SegaSonic game material (well, with the exception of perhaps '06 but we all know how fans took that). Ian's writing just feels more real and natural in the Sonic universe if you know what I mean.

One of the things that make me not even the slightest bit looking forward to TL-SC (Well I'm looking forward to it most likely failing and falling right on It's face) Is honestly Ken's versions of these characters. I don't like them. They are boring, constantly shout out long amounts of crap to explain things, and again say things that no one would ever say. I mean the preview featured for TL-SC showed everyone of Ken's problems back in full force. 

-Characters who's conversations consist of meaningless crap to explain the world-Check

-Characters using outdated words and trying too much to sound like the cool kids-Check

-Ken trying to understand how teenagers talk but failing-Check 

I mean I'm a teenager and I know for a fact that no one would ever say the stuff these characters are saying. This shows Ken hasn't improved much since writing M25YL and It's very very easy to see her.

As for Ken's writing on the book, I can still barely be interested in his versions of the characters. I already mentioned my problems with Evil Sonic, I got the first issue of the Knuckles miniseries on the Sonic Comic App and I just can't be bothered to read it because of all the crap about the Echindas and I'm just not interested etc.

You know, Linkara said that he was planning another review of a Sonic comic in his Red Hood and the Outlaws comic and I really honestly hope It's M25YL. 

But seriously, one of the biggest problems with the book was there was too much focus on Ken's characters, especially ones relating to Knuckle's people. I mean imagine you are a 8-10 year old who seen this comic and seen on it ''Mobius 25 Years Later! Discover the exciting adventures of Sonic and his friends in the future'' then opening it to see a old ugly Echinda giving a completely boring lecture that no one is going to care about it.

Well since Television Tropes isn't a good idea, here's what I would have list for him:

• Never My Fault
  • The Hypocrite
  • The Scrappy
  • Karma Houdini
  • It's All About Me
  • Nice Job Breaking It, Hero
  • Not So Different: Penders is this to Knuckles, although he's more like Robotnik/Eggman
  • Ungrateful Bastard: Penders is this to all of those who spoke on his behalf.
  • Kick the Dog: Penders is most likely this too.
  • You Don't Look Like You: Invoked by The Lara-Su Chronicles.
  • Old Than You Think: Most of Penders' ideas.
  • Unfortunate Implications
  • Face Heel Turn: Penders after leaving Archie Comics.
  • What An Idiot: From claiming multiple intellectual properties to the one holocaust-related poem that he stole, take your pick.
  • Fan Nickname: The Pendering, which is used to describe how Penders cost the Sonic characters their family and friends.
  • One Of Us: Subverted. Penders could careless about actual fans online, but spends enough time repling to them on the internet.
  • Bile Fascination: There are a few people who will give TLSC a look see, just to see how far Penders has sunk.
  • Brown Note
  • Off Model
  • Punctuation Shaker: See below.
  • Race Lifting: Penders is now guilty of this. Echidnas are now the alien race, "Echyd'nya".
  • Development Hell
  • Blue-Haired Lawyers: Penders has enough of these to get his way.

I could go on forever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Marry me, Tenko. I can't stand Shadow... for all of the reasons you give!

Marry me, Tenko. I can't stand Shadow... for all of the reasons you give!

Oh my, it's all happening so suddenly! We don't even have rings, or a cake haha.

I'm glad someone else shares my opinion on that one, it's an uphill battle with how many people seem to like him. Tho we would probably be divorced pretty fast depending on your feeling about certain other characters, I can't stand Silver for a myriad of reasons, or Rouge for reasons you may approve of having seen some of your other posts. I usually end up alienating myself pretty fast with my choices of characters I don't like. So I just sit in the corner with no one to share my cookies with haha :P

• Thumbs Up 1

There was a particular writing mannerism in Ken's old work that was painful to read, and that's how characters finished their sentences with the name of the person they're talking to. I saw it quite a few times in certain stories Ken wrote and it just looked so unrealistic.

Random example:

"What do you think is going on over there, Espio"

"I dunno, but it doesn't look good, Vector"

"We better be prepared if the worst happens, Charmy"

"Okay, Julie-Su"

It's like he thinks we'll keep forgetting the characters names after every issue or something.