Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

9 hours ago, Razule said:

Who said it was in development yet?

We all know the mug designing and the necessary app construction comes before developing the actual product. It's textbook business sense.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

So will the expected Cease and Desist from SEGA. You can't reprint any of those stories if they feature characters and place you don't own Ken. 🤦‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 2

I sincerely don't get how he thinks he can do this. Owning his stories is one thing legally being able to reprint them and others is another. On the plus side maybe he gets sued into oblivion and Sega buys back the rights to his characters and maybe Mike Gallagher and Karl Bollers ones because I doubt they care all that much. Then maybe try and get Comic superstar Mammoth Mogul back and boom Archie reprints under the name Sonic Classics.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

So will the expected Cease and Desist from SEGA. You can't reprint any of those stories if they feature characters and place you don't own Ken. 🤦‍♂️

What a leech. The first thing in years we all smiled at and thought was a positive video, he thinks how he can make money out of it. Hope he likes court because he'll be going back there if it EVER releases.

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I sincerely don't get how he thinks he can do this. Owning his stories is one thing legally being able to reprint them and others is another. On the plus side maybe he gets sued into oblivion and Sega buys back the rights to his characters and maybe Mike Gallagher and Karl Bollers ones because I doubt they care all that much. Then maybe try and get Comic superstar Mammoth Mogul back and boom Archie reprints under the name Sonic Classics.

At this point, seems more likely that if they did buy them, it would be so they could do the same thing Nintendo did to Ron Jeremy's Mario parody movie.

Eh, so what else is new? This is a pretty obvious attempt at trying to maintain his relevance to the Sonic franchise, and nothing more. Let him speculate and plan and talk all he likes about what he's gonna do and his HYOOGE PLANS. He can't even be assed to release the stuff he definitely does have rights for. Until something is actually produced, all this is in the end is him crying out for attention. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't pay any attention to this man for three years and he still is in almost the exact same place. If he actually has the gall or the willpower (extremely unlikely) to reprint "his" stories it is possible for him to get into some legal trouble beyond a cease and desist , which would be deliciously karmic. However, I sincerely doubt Sega cares or is petty enough to engage with him beyond anything other than a cease and desist though.

17 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

At this point, seems more likely that if they did buy them, it would be so they could do the same thing Nintendo did to Ron Jeremy's Mario parody movie.

I know but it would be funny if they were like "Ok IDW! Reprint these out of spite." I'm kinda petty like that though. XD

• Thumbs Up 4

He'd really be better off if he DID hire someone to handle the colors at least. It wouldn't make LSC look good, but at least the characters would no longer look like they were sculpted from congealed bacon grease. 

• Chuckle 3

Oh, now he's realizing that maybe a full 80-100 something page graphic novel may not be a one man job?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 6

On 5/31/2021 at 8:03 AM, Zonic 2099 said:

I knew Ken was deluded but this is on an entirely different level, especially considering the only reason anyone cares about him is because he got pissy about Archie using "his" characters.

Ken once again puts himself in a position that, personally speaking, he is not prepared to handle with any kind of grace. Nor did he need to put himself in that position, either.

• Thumbs Up 5

47 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

Ken once again puts himself in a position that, personally speaking, he is not prepared to handle with any kind of grace. Nor did he need to put himself in that position, either.

WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS PENDERS!?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

Oh, lordy, this will not end well. Or at least it wouldn't end well if we ever got to the point where we'd actually witness this imminent trainwreck in action. 

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS PENDERS!?

He's desperate to be seen as a progressive, liberal champion of minorities of all stripes while simultaneously having no real legitimate desire to be that person in any meaningful way. Him mentioning the Rotor/Cobar thing just kinda highlights it. While there was no way to be overt about it at the time, their interactions don't even really convey them as being FRIENDS, let alone lovers, to such an extent that virtually no one even guessed at it until he spelled it out... and only after Cobar had been killed in a story. 

In short? He's a self-serving, self-promoting hack who wants to be congratulated for doing less than the bare minimum when it comes to anything. 

There's more on this- 

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but people ARE going to call you out on the inconsistencies, and they ARE going to rake you across the coals for blatantly inserting these traits into a character who didn't previously demonstrate them. Like, already you're setting yourself up for a fall here- Salma's only major role in 25YL was showing up at that stupid sleepover and then swapping spit with Rutan. You absolutely did not convey her as being a BFF in any meaningful way, and its transparent you're just trying to make yourself seem like you have a progressive attitude about this after the fact. 

Yeah, I know Penders writing means that his characters in general are a void of traits in general, but the point still stands. 

That'd be a LOT easier to believe if you didn't repeatedly show that this kind of thing is ALWAYS a stunt with you. And for fuck's sake, maybe you ought to release the damn story and let your READERS decide for themselves if these decisions are tough instead of trying to sell us on this ahead of time. 

Fella, you've ALWAYS made it easy for yourself. You casually kill off characters who are of no use to you. You use narrative contrivance after narrative contrivance to get characters out of jams. Your plot points are meandering and easily resolved. You are shameless in your use of Deus Ex Machina to move things along. Your pretensions of engaging in 'challenging themes' are shallow and amateurish at best. You are not, nor have you ever been, a writer who rises to the occasion. 

Granted, in the end none of it really matters, does it? In nearly ten years, nothing of this has been released, and I doubt it ever will be. So hey, let him talk all he wants about this, but in the end until he actually produces something that's all it is. Talk. His favorite thing to do. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I can only imagine a small child appreciating having an autistic character to relate to but the problem is any small child would lose interest in TL-SC the moment they realize Sonic isn't in this Knuckles knock off series but the series isn't even intended for small children should it ever come out once pigs start flying.

I am on the spectrum and because of this I've had classes (mostly in High school) with others who are on the spectrum. This experience taught me that while as someone who is higher functioning I might need some assistance every once in a while in contrast to some who may need far more frequent assistance. That being said, I don't think I'd feel comfortable writing an autistic character because said character could come off as offensive as something Family Guy may pull or come off as a pointless informed attribute.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 2

I'm on the spectrum too, but I wasn't diagnosed mid-twenties. Masking basically, and I guess Penders could apply it to Salma? I don't know... at this point I'm not even worried. Penders can claim this and that, but he hasn't come out with even a chapter.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm also autistic, and one of my main gripes is that people tend to write autistic characters as one-dimensional. They're purely defined by some magical savant skill, along with the condescending "inspirational" tropes that characterize physically or mentally disordered characters in general. Ironically, I find that golem or robot characters tend to be a better representation of my experiences, (hence my avatar being Gamma) because they're usually reacting to the stereotype threat of being seen as emotionless, and thus come off as very thoughtful, even compassionate.

Still, while Penders is being an idiot as usual, I'm not too worried about him because he's way too incompetent to gain any traction. The popularity of stuff like "Rain Man" is far more insidious.

On 6/16/2021 at 12:36 PM, Zonic 2099 said:

That being said, I don't think I'd feel comfortable writing an autistic character because said character could come off as offensive as something Family Guy may pull or come off as a pointless informed attribute.

I think it's still worth a shot, since your writing would be authentic and it's important that autistic representation isn't purely media stereotypes from people who aren't autistic. The first draft is always crap anyway, and if you end up writing anything offensive there, people will catch it in the proofreading stage or writing circles.

As a personal anecdote, I've written a full short story before, and I spent a fair bit of time being in denial that my main character was autistic because I was afraid that would make her seem too much like a self-insert. But then I remembered that lack of representation I mentioned, and I kind of do want to fill a gap and break from the usual stereotypes.

• Thumbs Up 6

Hi there, new user here, nice to meet you all. I've followed Ken's trainwreck since he announced TLSC so... 10 years, maybe? Anyway...

On 6/19/2021 at 8:05 AM, Azure Blue Tori said:

I'm also autistic, and one of my main gripes is that people tend to write autistic characters as one-dimensional. They're purely defined by some magical savant skill, along with the condescending "inspirational" tropes that characterize physically or mentally disordered characters in general. Ironically, I find that golem or robot characters tend to be a better representation of my experiences, (hence my avatar being Gamma) because they're usually reacting to the stereotype threat of being seen as emotionless, and thus come off as very thoughtful, even compassionate.

This! I'm not sure that's what you meant, but I think that it would be a really more elegant way to introduce this kind of delicate subjects. Like, not straight telling "this character is autistic, look at him", but simply letting it act like one (or the equivalent of one). The Gamma analogy is quite good, with a little bit of work, a character like that could totally be "an autistic representation".

...but considering the whole "Rotor is gay, look at him" stuff with Pender, I seriously doubt he will be able to pull something even vaguely sensitive...

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm running out of things to say at this point. So I'll just sit back and shake my head at Penders continued preference to making grandiose proclamations and promises over actually establishing he has any real ability to finish this project in any meaningful way. 

• Thumbs Up 3

There really is nothing much more to say until this product is released. This discussion has been going on for what, almost 8-9 years now?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

There really is nothing much more to say until this product is released. This discussion has been going on for what, almost 8-9 years now?

There's always something to say about this eternal flaming trainwreck

spacer.png

On 6/26/2021 at 6:54 PM, CertifiedNobody said:

There's always something to say about this eternal flaming trainwreck

EDIT: Here's what appears to be a "rough draft" of what appears to be a backstory on one of his main characters. Aside from the usual uncanny valley look, I am trying to wrap my head around the "4th wall" dialogue and why it is necessary.

Usually when new artwork of his characters, a rough snippet of a story outline is posted (see above for example), or even an update on a presumed release date, then yes there is critique to be said (which is usually always negative considering how he designs those characters). But the same thing has been said over and over again on how much it looks like uncanny valley, where he plans on taking the story, and the point of the matter is that it has not been released yet despite all the talk of getting it out there and getting international versions made as well as the fact that he is practically doing it by himself, which are likely factors in why it is taking so long.

But then again, a lot of these online comics out there update a lot faster and usually around this amount of time, get roughly 5-6 stories done (hazarding a guess, feel free to correct my math).

A lot of the people that read the old Archie Sonic comics during his and Ian's tenure have likely moved on to other things at this point, and hardly anyone would even remember these characters aside from those that still have a genuine interest in it. There is also a chance that online reviewers will pick it up and give their opinion on it but aside from those, I do not see it turning into a full-fledged franchise similar to Sonic, but this is just my opinion.