Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

10 hours ago, SBR2 said:

when he starts shitting on writers a million times better than him it bugs me. 

So, all the writers?

(or at least every writer he compares himself to)

• Thumbs Up 3

The issue with this is that creative block is a real thing, and a lot of people struggle with getting their work off the ground. Penders might be going through this, but he constantly denies it, proclaims the greatness of his nonexistent comic, and tries to tell you Lara-Su merch anyway. There's a really big difference between a creator who's just messing around and can't find their footing, and a guy who wrote hundreds of comics demanding you pay attention to the comic he's never going to release and give him money anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

Put like that, sure, but I didn't feel like the comic itself was specific enough that it couldn't be applied a few different ways.

On 4/27/2021 at 6:55 PM, Zonic 2099 said:

You know, sometimes it's better to make a pre-existing character more interesting than to just make a new one from the ground up. Yeah, Ed Brubaker does deserve more credit for what he did for Bucky, but even if Ian had just killed off Evil Sonic or had Locke just voo doo the guy back to Anti Mobius there's only so much credit you yourself would get for creating an evil counterpart to a licensed character for a licensed book, and that's not even getting into Evil Sonic's unpopularity.
Ed Brubaker and Ian Flynn actually did bring value to Bucky and Scourge respectively. It'll always be ironic that Ken who coined this excuse fails to grasp when people actually have done it.

"it's better to make an original character than base it on a pre-existing one." -Ken Penders discussing his most popular character, "Evil Sonic".

• Chuckle 7
  • Absolutely 1

Ignoring the "Surprise" at this limited edition, I highly doubt he will be selling anywhere close to 100 of those books. Even factoring in the few supports he does have I highly doubt even a quarter of them would be willing to buy up this or the standard version of the first book. If he's lucky he'll sell maybe 8 of these? That's just my estimate anyways.

But a certificate of authenticity, I really shouldn't have been as surprised as I was by that.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Ignoring the "Surprise" at this limited edition, I highly doubt he will be selling anywhere close to 100 of those books. Even factoring in the few supports he does have I highly doubt even a quarter of them would be willing to buy up this or the standard version of the first book. If he's lucky he'll sell maybe 8 of these? That's just my estimate anyways.

But a certificate of authenticity, I really shouldn't have been as surprised as I was by that.

Oh, he's not advertising BOOKS- he's advertising prints of that image. Which he intended to charge 40 dollars apiece for, plus 15 dollars for shipping. 

He is honestly expecting 100 people to pay $55 for an incredibly lackluster piece of fanart with his name on it. 

All for a good cause though!

I

9 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Don't underestimate the power of the curious, people who want to see just how bad this is for themselves.

That said, while I once considered being such a person, I'm not sure my interest is there anymore.

100 probably gets a good bulk purchase discount and is enough to hold up any progress as most don't sell.

I am noticing now that someone is asking Mr. Penders about Lost Hedgehog Tales. Pretty sure that will stir up some trouble, especially if it involves certain characters. I understand its supposed to be non-profitable and the fact that 99% chance that the rest of it will not be released any time soon due to certain factors or it is likely already dead.

Ah... that art for that print need some clean up badly! Like there's some coloring outside the lines...  I so hope he didn't print those out already.

Why does this strategy not fill me with confidence?

So wait is he...not releasing a physical version? That sounds like it's going to completely screw him over. Why does he keep making the worst possible decisions? 

Hell even Webcomic creators know there's a market for physical releases.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

So wait is he...not releasing a physical version? That sounds like it's going to completely screw him over. Why does he keep making the worst possible decisions? 

Hell even Webcomic creators know there's a market for physical releases.

Not taking sides here, but because it is the belief that it is the future of comics.

He's stated many times before that he's not planning on releasing physical versions of the individual issues, or chapters or whatever he's going to call them, since he sees that method as outdated. Those are going to be exclusive to the app. His plan is to only release collected graphic novels physically.

The reprint thing might be physical, i get the impression reading the tweets he's selling 100 $40 prints tro raise a little under $4000 to fund the printing of beginnings collection that'll set you back abother $35.

Kickstarter would be the sensible way to fund it so I assume there's a reason why its not being used like

He doesn't want to pay the fees.

He's worried about it failing publically

He expects it to be shut down before it gets anywhere.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, Rabid-Coot said:

He's worried about it failing publically

He expects it to be shut down before it gets anywhere.

So that can be his excuse for it being a failure instead of it just being that he's a shoddy writer. Genius.

I still don't understand the mentality behind designing an entire custom app for his vanity project. Seems like extra effort just to make a comic less accessible to people.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm convinced he's rigging it so that he can bail at a crucial moment, but not come out looking like an abject failure.

He'll proclaim that comics are a dying industry or something, and that's why he had to do it this way, and that he's quitting due to the futility of it all.

And on the off chance that it takes off and succeeds, then he'll boast that against all odds, his genius broke through the mold.

Oh shit folks- Mr. Perriwinkle is confirmed for Lara-Su Chronicles! 

Perriwinkle | Sonic News Network | Fandom

Yep, we can rest easy knowing Wrinkles the Echidna is in play! 

Yeah, you... really know how to reel 'em in, Penders. 

I should also point out that Rutan's last appearance was under Flynn, not Penders. Though given his stubborn refusal to read or even research Flynn's run, misinformation on his part is to be expected. 

Yeah, I am pretty sure the jumping off point for his series is from the 25YL of his run and not Flynn's. And sounds like more designs from the uncanny valley are coming up...

Wow...who dat? Also I'm assuming he mean "The Land of a Thousand Lights" not Nights. 

Either way gotta live the promotional power of "all my lore is in the series don't worry!"

7 hours ago, horridus said:

Oh shit folks- Mr. Perriwinkle is confirmed for Lara-Su Chronicles! 

Perriwinkle | Sonic News Network | Fandom

Yep, we can rest easy knowing Wrinkles the Echidna is in play! 

Yeah, you... really know how to reel 'em in, Penders. 

I should also point out that Rutan's last appearance was under Flynn, not Penders. Though given his stubborn refusal to read or even research Flynn's run, misinformation on his part is to be expected. 

Meanwhile, I'm here just trying to figure out what at all the second tweet he made as a reply has to do with the first, with no in-between to connect the two.

"I had peanut butter and bologna for lunch today. It's usually peanut butter and ham, but I like to shake things up. Also, Sir Connery will appear in THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES. He hasn't been seen since that one story he appeared in!"

1 hour ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Meanwhile, I'm here just trying to figure out what at all the second tweet he made as a reply has to do with the first, with no in-between to connect the two.

"I had peanut butter and bologna for lunch today. It's usually peanut butter and ham, but I like to shake things up. Also, Sir Connery will appear in THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES. He hasn't been seen since that one story he appeared in!"

I myself am trying to comprehend why he's talking about Perriwinkle and Jaker as if they were major characters in 25YL. Like, Rutan at least had a role that lasted more than a page- what the fuck did Jaker do to warrant mention like this is something anybody should be excited for? 

I legitimately don't know who the fuck Jaker and Periwinkle is. A search on the wiki says Jaker is that one super random echidna who's a background character in M25YL, and I'm guessing Periwinkle is that old echidna who spouts exposition? I geninuely don't know, even the Archie Sonic wikia doesn't have a page for him.

This is actually a new level of pathetic on Penders' part to think anyone genuinely knows and cares about who the fuck these people are. Not to say background characters can't get a following - Lanolin started as a reoccurring background character in IDW, but she also had a unique design, and was a species who doesn't appear very often in the series, and she's well enough liked to get actual lines and things now in the comics, it's just...these two are random echidnas, who do nothing and have nothing remotely interesting about them. 

Edit: Oh sorry, Perriwinkle does have a article, it's just hard to find, and is literally two sentences long, my mistake.

• Thumbs Up 2