Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

5 hours ago, horridus said:

They're still around doing their thing. I can't speak for how they're doing as a company but as they haven't folded and are still chugging out books, and Riverdale is still a thing on Netflix, I'd say they've more than moved on from the whole thing with Penders. Much like.... well, everyone BUT Penders. 

And evidently Scott Fulop, but other than that cringe inducing website he doesn't really seem to be active at all on the net. 

I guess the Riverdale series is keeping the company afloat.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, horridus said:

Words... can't really do it justice.

http://narrativearkent.com/MAMMOTH-MOGUL/

Gaze upon it, and despair.

That website is honestly kind of sad. I never really cared about Mogul but he deserves better than that. Fulop clearly has no idea what to do with Mogul when he's disconnected from Sonic. At least Penders had a little bit of Echidna lore to work with.

And oh god that shop is depressing. He's ACTUALLY trying to sell this.

c207a39a9495154acc6cbd9288a176ff_fancybox.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, horridus said:

Can't deny I'm intrigued (in a bad way) with some of what ol' Scott has "planned" for Mammoth Mogul.

AFTER A UNIVERSE-SHATTERING DEBUT IN THE PAGES OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG COMIC BOOKS, FOR ALMOST TWENTY-FIVE YEARS MAMMOTH MOGUL, OFTEN ACCOMPANIED BY HIS SUPER-POWERED COHORTS, THE FEARSOME FOURSOME, HAS CONTINUED TO THRILL READERS AS THE STAR AND CO-STAR OF A WIDE VARIETY OF COMIC BOOKS, GRAPHIC NOVELS, MAGAZINES, AND MANY OTHER PUBLICATIONS!

Uhhh...not sure in what universe Mogul was a "star" in any form of media, but ok.

I mean, I have a heck of a lot more faith in Scott to put together a decent story than Ken. At least Scott was a pretty decent writer in his few Sonic comic stories.

• Thumbs Up 3

When I look at the design of this website, i'm torn between laughing and crying from pain.

And when I look at how this webpage is styled I'm even more depressed. They load a css framework that they don't even use.

Why, just why.

• Thumbs Up 4

If I ever start a review show I'm going to 100% always refer to Mammoth Mogul as "Comic Book Superstar Mammoth Mogul TM".

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1

17 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Uhhh...not sure in what universe Mogul was a "star" in any form of media, but ok.

Therein lies the million dollar question. With Penders and his Echidna crap you can at least see a kernal of logic behind his actions- the Knuckles series had its fans, the characters introduced in it had its fans, and there was a good deal of (bloated) lore and worldbuilding attached to it. Wrongheaded as Penders precise reasoning for doing what he's doing is, he's not wrong in that there WERE fans who WERE interested in all that. I should know, I was one of them. 

Mogul on the other hand... he's never been a popular character, even in Archie circles. It'd be wrong to suggest he had no fans at all, but they were very, very small in number compared to what the Echidna crap managed to attract in its heyday. There is absolutely nothing to support even the delusion of Mogul being some sort of big draw with a huge fanbase eager to see more of him, and to top it all off? Fulop didn't even DO all that much with the guy- off the top of my head all I can think of is the story that introduced him and the main story for the first Super Special. And that's it. That's the sum total of Fulop's work on the character. 

It's just... mind boggling in ways I cannot begin to describe. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I always liked Mogul because I felt there was something cool about him. He's more or less depicted as a chess master moving pieces around on the board to get what he wants. And he's immortal so it presents a very unique challenge to Sonic and friends. It's admittedly a case of the concept superseding the execution, but I was, what, 9 when he was introduced? I ate this stuff up as a kid. And issue 56 is one of those iconic issues from when I was a kid because of that big fight between Super Sonic, Hyper Knuckles, Turbo Tails and Master Mogul (Spaz's cover is extremely memorable). Made me happy to see him still around at one point when I was out of the loop on the book for a few years, and I felt like Ian was actually delivering on the thing Mogul represented to me.

But even saying all that, even I think Fulop is vastly overselling this character's importance even to just the Archie book. Even I know he's just furry Vandal Savage.

8 hours ago, horridus said:

Fulop didn't even DO all that much with the guy- off the top of my head all I can think of is the story that introduced him and the main story for the first Super Special. And that's it. That's the sum total of Fulop's work on the character. 

To my knowledge, Fulop in general didn't do much with the book. He wrote a stray few issues, and more than a few of them were with Penders. His most major contributions were as editor and you can probably blame him for seeding "End Game" into Ken's head (iirc, Ken said Fulop was used to licensed books ending pretty quickly and with no Sonic games at the time it was just the expected pattern) or for bringing in Gabrie. He kinda came and went as a writer as far as I know. The people who did most of the heavy lifting for Mogul were like Bollers, Flynn, and even Penders (granted Penders had Mogul sealed in the Master Emerald for I don't even know how long).

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, jungle_penguins said:

"furry Vandal Savage" ohhhhhhhh why do I keep forgetting that part.

It's because everyone makes Kingpin comparisons due to how he wears a suit.

But he's absolutely Vandal Savage's fursona. Though I don't think Savage is usually as verbose as Mogul.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a gentle reminder to stay on topic. If we should talk about Fulop and Mogul, we should start a separate thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think that's necessary, personally; these two's lawsuits are connected by similar circumstances and it's not unlikely they will be working together in the future for both their projects because they've collaborated officially in the past. As a moderator, I'd rather not clog this message board with a separate thread dedicated to Fulop's equally stupid project.

• Thumbs Up 5

I wouldn't call it equally stupid. It's got about as much chance of ever actually coming out as Penders's dumb thing but Fulop has not spent a decade making a complete ass out of himself and attacking the current staff on social media. That doesn't mean I have any particular fondness for him, but I can't imagine him being a more insufferable personality than Ken on the face of it.

That said, my impressions of Mammoth Mogul were always scant mentions on forums (and maybe old official sites talking about the comics? did Sonic Central have a place for that stuff? I don't remember), and when I finally did get the chance to read the Archie comics, I kept waiting for what would finally, truly be the issue where he made his mark on the franchise. And then it just...didn't happen. The guy always felt like a side character in his own issues, even when Flynn was writing him. I kept thinking there was gonna be some deeper lore behind him, but most of what I left with was "he's just some asshole".

So not only can I not see that character leading his own comic, I don't even fucking remember the fearsome foursome's actual names. I guess maybe Fulop should have been an asshole online all these years, Penders has gotten so good at it he's inadvertently made me understand his awful stories.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:34 PM, horridus said:

This is why I commission artists to do my visual art work—I can’t do shit beyond sketching with a pencil.

At least this gives me hope in designing my own website.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could actually believe that he's willing to secede full control over his characters. The Lara Su universe hasn't had any return yet so he's probably feeling desperate.

The problem is that the Sonic series has functioned perfectly fine without his material for a long time now. Why buy his extended cast for any price when you have a team talented enough to make a new cast that can fill whatever role scrouge or julie su can? No one needs it, so it'll remain a hard sell.

• Thumbs Up 5

He's getting pretty desperate, isn't he?  Anyway, I don't see any need for SEGA or IDW to implement these characters because they are doing just fine without these characters.  And they might find themselves in trouble with Penders anyway, so best not to deal with this situation again.

I'm sure SEGA is just banging at the door to include a character whose most noteworthy trait these days is his ephebophilia... 

• Thumbs Up 4

How many of his characters would even work in the IDW comic in such a way that their past would be relevant without multiversal nonsense?

I mean, Scourge could work, since that is precisely his thing -- same shtick, new universe -- but anyone else?

28 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

How many of his characters would even work in the IDW comic in such a way that their past would be relevant without multiversal nonsense?

I mean, Scourge could work, since that is precisely his thing -- same shtick, new universe -- but anyone else?

And his characters would only complicate the established universe in IDW anyway.  And, he would probably start complaining to SEGA about how his characters are being treated in this new universe, so it's best to leave his characters alone.

Ten Grand every 2 years for his frankly not at all unique characters?! This man is officially delusional. 

Shit, as much as as like to see a few of Ken's characters back, there's no way in hell this is going to work. I mean... it's been nearly 10 years since these characters were used. Even before anything else, how would you even use them? Archie Sonic is as dead as fried chicken, and we're years into the run of IDW. You'd probably  absolutely need to treat them like entirely new characters from the perspective of introducing them into the world and establishing who they are, what they're like. Starting fresh might help leave some of that Penders uhh, "flavor" behind, but as all of you are saying, why not just make new characters that don't have legal labilities or April 2019 associated with them? And Ian and company don't need to license new characters for $10000 every 2 years? Shit, I can only think of 2 reasons why I can think of using anything ken made nowadays;

1- Drawing in old fans, problem is, how many people are left after all this time who would be sold on IDW by the return of Ken's best characters? Most of the old comic fanbase has either kept reading the comics, scattered to the winds after years of bullshit, and like half of the remainder are radicalized against Ian and probably wouldn't buy the comics even with the old characters back. Then you have the problems of pissing off people who hated original continuity Archie Sonic and especially Ken's characters...

2- Dunking on Ken by using his characters better... actually by using them at all now LMAO. But really, wizard Geoffrey vs creeper Geoffrey, who're you gonna pick? Only problems are that that alone doesn't bring in bank, and doesn't get rid of any of the reputation from Ken's actions... Oh, any Ian already did it. Wait, Ian probably couldn't even wrap up the old stories (in IDW, not accounting for LHT standalone) if he started fresh with everybody. Motherfucker!

Anyways, how many of these characters are even worth using for free? For anything? Just skimming through I'm only seeing like 1 in 10 that are really useful, and like half them, Jesus Christ, these are some, uhh, "great" characters 

https://archiesonic.fandom.com/wiki/Dr._Loony 

https://archiesonic.fandom.com/wiki/Toady 

https://archiesonic.fandom.com/wiki/Vermin

Oh, and if Sega of Japan are even aware of what's going on here, they're probably still pissed of by Ken copywriting intellectual property their subordinates and contractors were using, and demanding payment for using shit they didn't care about. Fuck, SOJ really seems to hate even the idea of using Sonic IP that wasn't made by them, maybe they really did want to just eject his shit out from the franchise and this was a convenient excuse to do so, maybe they were just insulted by the idea of paying him, a ransom, essentially, after he started fucking with their franchise, maybe they just told Archie to deal with it and Archie went "We can't/won't pay you the licensing fees, goodbye", maybe SOJ were just clueless about the shitstorm going on at Archie, but I don't foresee any of those possibilities leading to things being settled amicably. Such a shame too, I want to see wizard Geoffrey again. Not Bond wannabe Geoffrey. I haven't seen ANYBODY who wants that shit back!

• Thumbs Up 6