Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Dont know how small your town is but mine is the third largest in my state and every time slot up to 10 was full. My theater was full and the theater was rolling through the jokes and cheering.  Some even clapped at the end. Stars 8 and 9 got neither of those

I'd guess within Birmingham it might have been a different story, but within the outlying towns such as Halesowen and Dudley there doesn't seem to be much interest. In going to a cinema as a whole. As I said, mostly empty room within Showcase, with Reel only having two times for the showing. All Star Wars films have been pretty empty as well - even Force Awakens. Even the likes of Toy Story 4.

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Not even a kids choice award?

Not with a SpongeBob SquarePants movie on the horizon, no.

• Thumbs Up 1

I generally try to go to the movies when they are empty. If I time it right I can usually find new releases on opening weekends fairly barren if I'm willing to go at weird hours. I remember getting to see Avengers Endgame in a theater all by myself on Sat at 1 pm. It was great.

I've been keeping tabs on my local theaters, as I am looking for a mostly empty room to give the Sonic movie a second viewing, but the blasted thing has been booked solid. They started showing wed night, and have had 10-15 showings on fri and sat and every single one has been sold out. People are piling in for this one.

• Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

So some concept art of the movie has surfaced Here

Hide contents

At the beginning of 2018, Blur's partner Jeff was going to start his first commercial feature film "Sonic the Hedgehog." The design cycle was relatively tight, so he asked me if I had time to help. I made some designs temporarily with @ 金 萧 镝 .

From the key frame of the bar fight, it can be seen that Jeff wanted to find Chris Evans in the first male.
The villain in the original film was an alien lizard, but the feature film didn't seem to show up.
The unexpected surprise was my favorite actor Kim Carrey, whose "Warm and Warm Light" and "Men on the Moon" are always in my classic film list.

65c3f9f2gy1gbx3gy8mlsj212p0u0npe.jpg

65c3f9f2gy1gbx3gxuo2ij223l0u0b29.jpg

Remember some leak that mentioned a lizard character who's after Sonic's powers? He didn't make the final cut, but we got images on what he looked like.

65c3f9f2gy1gbx3gyg1gtj21sa0u0u0x.jpg

The bar fight scene with the old design.

Thank God.

• Absolutely 1

If Eggman uses Sonic's quills for powering up machines, do you think Metal Sonic could potentially show up? I mean, if Eggman needed a new partner, he'd make the most sense if Knuckles is only a temporary antagonist.

Also I hope Shadow appears one day, even if that will probably take several years...

• Fist Bump 1

Spoiler

Funny thing is, by having the Echidna replace the lizard men, it sets up for a much stronger rivalry with Knuckles. In fact, it may be the most organic rivalry set up for Sonic ever.

I feel like most of Sonic's rivals have been born from misunderstandings and circumstance. Knuckles was a misunderstanding. Shadow was mostly because people thought he was Sonic, but their current rivalry doesn't have much of a basis in anything. Silver was a big misunderstanding. Only Metal's rivalry can really be counted as one, but he's been so poorly utilized, and Sonic usually just brushes him off like he does Eggman, making it a pretty onesided rivalry.

With this development we have an inner rivalry shaped by Sonic's past which he will need to overcome when he eventually meets Knuckles.

Doesn't really count as a spoiler, since it's no longer apart of the movie - but those lizard designs are atrociously bad. Thank god it was altered.

• Absolutely 1

Spoiler

The lizard men probably would've been updated to fit the redesign (though considering Longclaw the Owl wasn't, who knows) but yeah, thankfully they changed it entirely.

And yeah, that plot point actually makes me really excited to see how they handle Knuckles in the sequel(s).

I just got back from watching Sonic...I'm definitely watching this again. :)  This was awesome, I didn't think the dialogue would be this good and relatively down to earth, the battles in the movie were fun and heck, I even enjoyed Jim Carrey's Robotnik(he's not favorite actor in the world).  Plus, it was so REFRESHING hearing Ben Schwartz as Sonic.  After having Roger for the last decade, it's great to hear a new voice and it fits like a glove!  I can't wait for a sequel!

• Thumbs Up 2

I think what could be interesting for a sequel is:

Spoiler

the Tails post-credit scene takes place after a time jump, with Sonic living in Tom's place for awhile, and more importantly - giving Eggman time to escape Mushroom Hill.

I think it'd be neat if the next movie was actually Eggman having completely taken over Sonic's world, and Tails/Knuckles are trying to find the person who beat him before.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Hide contents

If Eggman uses Sonic's quills for powering up machines, do you think Metal Sonic could potentially show up? I mean, if Eggman needed a new partner, he'd make the most sense if Knuckles is only a temporary antagonist.

Also I hope Shadow appears one day, even if that will probably take several years...

One would have to wonder how he'll work in this new canon.

For non Sonic fans, this isn't going to blow you away, but it's a fun ride that's worth checking out.

Sonic fans will be relatively satisfied with how they handled the source material. Sonic is adorable and his old design just wouldn't have worked at all, so I give full credit to Paramount for listening to fan feedback and changing course. What the team did in just a few months is incredible.

The plot is what you would expect from a Hollywood adaptation, but I didn't expect them to fully dive into the lore. The human cast are good and there are quite a few laughs to be had.

Now for the bad: the film isn't to blame but rather the marketing. If you've seen all the trailers then you'll have seen the majority of the film. If you like what you see then do check it out, this film deserves to do well, especially so we can see what they do with the sequels.

4/5

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

So...Sonic's parents aren't copyrighted?

Penders owns Jules and Bernadette, but of course he doesn't own the idea of Sonic having parents.

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

So...Sonic's parents aren't copyrighted?

Not per se. Sonic has had legit parents in multiple mediums. Different sizes and shapes to boot. Aleena comes to mind on top of the previous mentioned duo.

However, anybody with even a cursory knowledge of the Archie fallout should recognize that Parents are out-of-bounds territory for Sega. Their current stance is that no-one should be taking the liberty to create blood relatives of its established cast members.

The fact that Penders it too dense to see that is.... unsurprising.

Spoiler

Its actually a big reason why I want LongClaw to stick around for a bit more in a sequel. She provides the parental role that is extremely lacking among the fuzzy cast and does so without threatening Sega's status-quo.

29 minutes ago, Razule said:

Penders owns Jules and Bernadette, but of course he doesn't own the idea of Sonic having parents.

26 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Not per se.

Darn, I was hoping the mere existence of Sonic's parents as a concept was copyrighted...by Ken Penders.

1 hour ago, ShadowSJG said:

Kenny with his tea

So either Penders has never heard of orphans, or he doesn't think orphans can develop as people.

Sorry, I'm kidding.  I know it's because he can't fathom anything other than a generic nuclear family.

Saw the movie an hour ago. It was pretty good! A year ago, I wouldn't have thought in a million years that this movie would be as watchable as it was. Weird to think that the movie would have been exactly the same with the old design and have been received far more poorly. I'd actually like to see a sequel. It might not have been exactly the Sonic movie I'd have wanted, but hey, it wasn't a disaster. 

• Fist Bump 2