Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

25 minutes ago, Almar said:

You might it sound it like DC's superhero films haven't been performing worse and worse from Batman vs. Superman up accounting for production costs. Especially Suicide Squad. Only Joker has been a smash hit, and it's radically different from other cape films anyway.

I wasn't talking about DC?

• Absolutely 1

12 hours ago, NoKaine said:

What benefit would there be for it to flop critically?

I don't want this to exist, I don't want this version of Sonic to affect the series. I hate everything about him from how he looks to how he sounds and acts.

From the looks of things there will be a sequel so my suffering shall continue!

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

So then, you really don't have anything to prove your claim, considering how your intial comment was based off of someone mentioning the RT scores.

And? Your original claim was that if critics gave it downright negative reviews that fans would eat it up.

Yet, given that there's both a positive schism in both critical and audience reception ----because people tend to forget that Rotten Tomatoes is used to calculate the percentage of how many people actually had positive reviews to say and isn't some score average--- it completely flies in the face of your ideal.

I mean, at that point, you're grasping at straws.

Dunno what your beef is with me dude, but it's getting unhealthy.

I don't know what kind of proof would be enough for you, but here are a few examples where the critics and audience are in total disagreement:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Dolittle

Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones

Captain Marvel

Venom

Batwoman: Season 1

Doctor Who: Season 11

Doctor Who: Season 12

The point I was making that you apparently missed was that critics scores doesn't really mean jack. The audience score can turn out similar, or totally different. It depends on the movie. Just because the critics say it's barely an above averega movie, the audience can still praise it to the high heavens, and vice versa. So I don't get the borderline obsession some people here have with the critic score. In the end, it's the box office numbers that are gonna count.

The only thing I'd correct is this discrepancy seems to happen more often with movies where the media wants to push in a certain direction due to current day politics.

10 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I don't want this to exist, I don't want this version of Sonic to affect the series. I hate everything about him from how he looks to how he sounds and acts.

From the looks of things there will be a sequel so my suffering shall continue!

Bit unhealthy to obsess this much over a movie that's not even bad.

Besides, there's not even any confirmation that it's going to affect the games and if people enjoy then just leave it be.

3 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Dunno what your beef is with me dude, but it's getting unhealthy.

Hey now. Don't try to flatter yourself just because someone points out flaws in your argument. That's not a healthy mindset to have.

2 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Bit unhealthy to obsess this much over a movie that's not even bad.

This movie has been slowly driving me to insanity ever since December 2018 when they teased it.

I wish I could ignore it but it's popping up everywhere I go, on every Discord server, Tweet, TV, videos, etc. so I just gave up on trying to ignore and decided to hate on it instead. The fact that people are liking makes it even worse for me. lol

4 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Besides, there's not even any confirmation that it's going to affect the games and if people enjoy then just leave it be.

This is false, everything from a success to a failure will affect the games. We've seen it happen time and time again, and Classic Sonic is proof of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I seriously wonder how different the film would have been received if they hadn't changed the design. The movie would have essentially been the exact same in every way aside from Sonic's look. 

Although it can't be proven, I think this film would have been received far less favourably if Sonic had retained his original look. I can't imagine critics and the public finding Sonic to be in any fun and endearing if he still looked like a muscular demon child.

Honestly, I'm really pleased to see this film is actually good! It's the last thing I ever expected. Being a cartoon video game adapted into a live action film was a big red flag all those years ago, and the original design was the hottest mess since the Mario movie from the 90s. This turnaround is really impressive. I still don't like the humour that I'm seeing in the trailers, clips and what I've read from impressions, but that's a highly subjective matter. People like this film and it's not going to be another blight on Sonic's record. That's awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I'm just about to see it in less than an hour, do you have to sit through all of the credits for both post credit scenes?

All things considered, this was the best case scenario. We might not be in the darkest timeline after all. The old design was just a brief glimpse into it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw the film last night and really enjoyed it. It got some big laughs out of me and the audience. As I left the consensus was it was a good film and one person noted they thought it was going to be a train wreck but lo and behold it subverted their expectations. If I had some things to point out as a negative it would be that yeah some jokes didn't land due to them already having been shown in trailers, but it still had some surprises regardless. As far as further thoughts go... 

Spoiler

What I really like about Sonic and Dr. Robotnik/Eggman in this is that they managed to make them foils off each other based on the theme of isolation from other people and how it affects them with Sonic in the beginning of the film and throughout and Eggman from the ending credits as he's certainly becoming insane as Classic Eggman from Generations would say to his future self. Add on to that both Sonic and Dr. Robotnik are orphans. I liked the design of Ironclaw and it would appear that she's probably alive just given how Tails himself has a ring at the end to try and find Sonic which yeah Tails looks so good! Also Echidna tribe looking good themselves and could be Knuckles tribe or heck an opposing tribe for all we know like in Adventure the ones who tried to steal the Emeralds from Tikal's tribe, but in this have to resort to other means of gaining power in this case Sonic to gain the upper hand if that is what the sequel is going to reveal. Speaking of which I do hope that the sequel has it where Sonic and Tails go back to their original world as it was just gorgeous. The film is absolutely up there with Detective Pikachu and Wreck it Ralph (if you really count the latter).

So first off, I liked the movie, it was fun.

Second, here are all the references/easter eggs I noticed:

• The Green Hill Zone arrangements during the opening Paramont logo and at the beginning of the “everything is peaceful again” conclusion.
  • A version of the Sonic Mania trailer theme plays in the opening scene.
  • Baby Sonic and owl lady (who’s name I’ve forgotten) get chased by echidnas, complete with spikes on their hands.
  • Sonic’s headband when he plays with the nunchucks has the familiar Sonic 1 emblem on it.
  • One of the planets on Sonic’s map of planets looks like the international Sega Saturn logo.
  • Crazy Carl has a drawing of “sanic”.
  • At the end, in Tom’s attic, Sonic has a racecar bed, which I personally like to interpret as an Archie Sonic reference.

Spoiler

A couple of other obvious references 

• Calling Robotnik 'Eggman'
  • Sonic ate a Chilli Dog

One thing I like that the movie did was

Spoiler

negating Sonic's ability to run faster than missles. The slight movement of Robotnik's finger moving towards the red button was a great build up to what came after and makes it so future fights aren't all one sided.

Speaking of which; why did Sonic suddenly start calling him Eggman? I didn’t notice anything that would have prompted him.

9 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

Hide contents

Speaking of which; why did Sonic suddenly start calling him Eggman? I didn’t notice anything that would have prompted him.

Spoiler

He refers to his drones being egg shaped and then from that calls him Eggman, something I'm assuming comes from him giving characters names like Donut Lord and Pretzel Girl. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

Hide contents

He made reference to his flying egg drones I believe. Then stuck with it.

6 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

He made reference to his flying egg drones I believe. Then stuck with it.

Spoiler

Furthermore it was a callback to something Eggman had said earlier in the film. Back at his introduction, Eggy quipped "Look what my Eggs hatched into!" (or something very similar to that) upon revealing his Egg-Drones for the first time.

Egg was the theme of the day, so it makes sense that is the direction Sonic went with when giving the doctor a call-sign.

• Fist Bump 1

Both Wikipedia and IMDb are claiming that Collen Villard is voicing Tails in the mid-credits scene, but I really didn’t think it sounded like her.

Oh! While we are talking about Easter Eggs, there are a few I haven't seen brought up yet.

Obviously mega-spoilers abound 

Spoiler

-Every time Sonic took a massive hit, the camera made it a point to show that he dropped his ring sack.

-Baby Sonic used the triangle jump in GHZ

-Sonic outran dozens of bear traps, something Tails tried to use in Boom to similar results.

-Sonic saved a mobini (turtle) from certain death.

-"I hate Mushrooms" felt like a veiled jab at Mario

-Robotnik's circuit breaker featured a toggle switch labeled "Badniks"

-GameSonic lives by a "Always move forward mentality" Longclaw's advice to him was to never stop running.

-Tails has Super speed (feels like something that gets overlooked these days)

and while not a sonic reference per say, Robotnik whistling that famous tune to summon his Egg Drone was a nice touch

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Big Panda said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Both Wikipedia and IMDb are claiming that Collen Villard is voicing Tails in the mid-credits scene, but I really didn’t think it sounded like her.

Spoiler

Sounded like her to me.

Just watch the movie today. It was kinda short, but still fun and enjoyable. Would watch it again.

13 minutes ago, Big Panda said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Well, the Tails voice actor kinda confirmed that she was voicing Tails in the movie.:

Spoiler

I noticed there were some scenes that were not in the movie like these.:

cover5.jpg

intro-1574283629.jpg

1 hour ago, Big Panda said:

So first off, I liked the movie, it was fun.

Second, here are all the references/easter eggs I noticed:

Hide contents

• The Green Hill Zone arrangements during the opening Paramont logo and at the beginning of the “everything is peaceful again” conclusion.
  • A version of the Sonic Mania trailer theme plays in the opening scene.
  • Baby Sonic and owl lady (who’s name I’ve forgotten) get chased by echidnas, complete with spikes on their hands.
  • Sonic’s headband when he plays with the nunchucks has the familiar Sonic 1 emblem on it.
  • One of the planets on Sonic’s map of planets looks like the international Sega Saturn logo.
  • Crazy Carl has a drawing of “sanic”.
  • At the end, in Tom’s attic, Sonic has a racecar bed, which I personally like to interpret as an Archie Sonic reference.

One of the worlds shown on the safe board is also Sonic 3's special stage

• Thumbs Up 1