Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Not that I disagree with that, but I think the elephant in the room here is that its been the games that have not pulled their fair share of the weight when it comes to these kinds of cross-platform synergy builds.

Giving the movie room to breathe - absent of a game - could also be a calculated move or lesson-learned back from the Boom launch.

I wasn't implying that a game released around the same time would necessarily be a movie tie-in.  In fact, with the fate movie tie-in games usually get, there may be reason not to do that.  But with as many people will have Sonic fresh in their minds when SXSW rolls around, that would be a very smart time to reveal a new game, whatever it is.

Knowing SEGA. I wouldn't doubt if the movie does well they decide to string together a trailer for their next project for SXSW because their marketing is desperate to cash in on the movie. 

2 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Its almost like the box office happens every week and you can get a fairly goood estimate of lifetime earnings from those 3 days based on past data.

Because word of mouth has never made a movie increase profits or anything. 

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

New render.:

I feel that needs to be a meme.  Someone hoax in a beer bottle and get this party started!

Those stand-ins of the original design are absolutely horrifying. I'll say it once, I'll say it again, how the hell did anyone think that original design would fly with audiences?

• Thumbs Up 4

25 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Those stand-ins of the original design are absolutely horrifying. I'll say it once, I'll say it again, how the hell did anyone think that original design would fly with audiences?

Good question. Who the hell approved that?

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

God, if anyone knows, please do tell. That thing is so horrible that sometimes it sounds easier to believe it was done on purpose, as a marketing stunt. Who, seriously, WHO could ever have approved that?

Just now, Jango said:

God, if anyone knows, please do tell. That thing is so horrible that sometimes it sounds easier to believe it was done on purpose, a marketing stunt. Who, seriously, WHO could ever have approved that?

If the new Did You Know Movies on Sonic is to be believed - Paramount legitimately, 100% thought it would be a good design, citing the redesigns of the TMNT, and the Transformers.

Which given TFs had to be redesigned before the first movie, as @Failinhearts said on this topic a long while ago, and the TMNT had to be redesigned to be less gross in Out of the Shadows, Paramount isn't exactly too smart there.

• Thumbs Up 2

But Christ, don't they have like... Eyes?!

All in all, I'm actually glad this movie is doing well with critics so far, and I wouldn't mind eating my words and my shoe this time. In the end, the people involved showed they cared enough to go back and fix at least what they could. Also, one tap on the back of SoA (eventhough they don't always deserve) for steping in aswell, they're probably the ones that "pushed" Tyson into Paramount to help rework Sonic's design.

13 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If the new Did You Know Movies on Sonic is to be believed - Paramount legitimately, 100% thought it would be a good design, citing the redesigns of the TMNT, and the Transformers.

There's a saying for this. Don't fix what isn't broken. The Mutant Abomination Turtles were the worst anthropomorphic designs in a live action movie I've ever seen until Sonic's old movie design and frankly I can't decide which is worse as both are garbage, at least Sonic won't have to have that blemish in his film now like they did. The higher ups at Paramount using TMNT live action designs when they got met with backlash shows how out of their minds they are and shouldn't have followed the example.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Because word of mouth has never made a movie increase profits or anything. 

Like I said fairly good estimate, there's always some outliers that have weak openings and strong legs or open high and completely colapse but generally it'll be in an expected range.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

2 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Good question. Who the hell approved that?

2 hours ago, Jango said:

God, if anyone knows, please do tell. That thing is so horrible that sometimes it sounds easier to believe it was done on purpose, as a marketing stunt. Who, seriously, WHO could ever have approved that?

The one thing that felt logical about the original design was its athletic build, but that seems to have been confined to the early publicity images.  The original Sonic we got in the first trailer and publicity posters was nearly as twiggy as game Sonic, but without a lot of what made game Sonic appealing.

For what this is worth, if not for those hideous bits with a very human-like mouth on a pointy rodent snout, or a very human-like body stretched out (as in that Paris image), I doubt the negative reaction to the design would have been so strong as to go viral, get picked up by mainstream media, and prompt the creators to change it.  The design would have still gotten mocked and criticized due to having a bad shape for acrobatics, but the takeaway would have been that it was just another half-assed cash-in movie made partially for children and partially for nostalgic adults.  Instead of excessive negative attention it would have gotten mostly ignored.

I'm glad people are going back to this saying they are glad they were wrong… in their defense, the movie IS doing miracles right now, I don't blame people for expecting shit back in the day. I also want to say - and it's not something I usually say - the influx of Mania is important here too, the music and of course Tyson's involvement. Great to think this influenced the movie too!

I mean, to be fair. It still might not be a good movie. It might just be a profitable bad movie because it's enjoyable enough to turn your brain off, or it just has all the right ingredients to hook the target audience. We won't really know until it's fully released and we get our own opinions. 

Hollywood executives are notoriously blind to artistic concepts such as stylization and appeal, so I wasn't exactly as amazed at how bad it was as many people were. I kinda expected it right when the movie was announced because if all the other "cute old cartoon property made into a grotesque goblin" movies theres already been. The decision to change the design to something more appealing is what really shocked me.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Hopefully ken keeps his ass far far away from this film

I expect by this time next week we'll have his take on what he would have done "better".

Knowing him he'll be looking for an excuse to file a paper-thin copyright claim.

On the topic of Sonic design, it'll be interesting to see where the medium goes from here in the next couple of years. Any fanbase from here on out will have an extra shot of entitlement and be that much more emboldened to speak out thanks to what happened with Sonic, and all the positive press generated from the redesign will give Hollywood a chance to double take at how they've been doing business. The next adaption franchise to get under development will face scrutiny to be accurate to source more now than ever. Doubly so if the Sonic move makes enough money.

Any live action adaption getting off the ground right about now has to be taking notice.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Knowing him he'll be looking for an excuse to file a paper-thin copyright claim.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems the issue’s only on Safari.

53 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Can someone elaborate on this? The mobile site has issues loading pages for me after a certain amount of posts are on it? 

Spoiler

Basically, there's a trailer that confirms echidna tribes are in this film.

And we all know how Ken Penders can be when it comes to echidnas, let alone the tribes.