Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

14 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Apparently the character is outright killed.  That’s not to say that this event alone would have boosted it over a G-rating, but it’s understandable why it gets a descriptor.  Remember that not every child who plays E-rated video games is going to be familiar with death; as in the real sort there’s no coming back from.

Obviously that would get listed on a site like this, what I was responding to says this is somehow welcoming in "edgy" elements to the series, an overreaction. But additionally, no, kids do know what death is and kids movies feature it all the time. Do you not remember any animated Disney film?

My guess is that the owl is a parental figure for Sonic, so this is similar to Mufasa or Bambi's mom. It makes sense as an emotional beat to off this character.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Enderwoman said:

Obviously that would get listed on a site like this, what I was responding to says this is somehow welcoming in "edgy" elements to the series, an overreaction. But additionally, no, kids do know what death is and kids movies feature it all the time. Do you not remember any animated Disney film?

My guess is that the owl is a parental figure for Sonic, so this is similar to Mufasa or Bambi's mom. It makes sense as an emotional beat to off this character.

We’re comparing this element to MODERN, non-Disney kiddie fare, like Despicable Me or Trolls. Those are really soft and rounded, and wouldn’t even do that anymore. 

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

We’re comparing this element to MODERN, non-Disney kiddie fare, like Despicable Me or Trolls. Those are really soft and rounded, and wouldn’t even do that anymore. 

Because this is more similar to a Marvel movie, or Star Wars.

also, it's still not by any measure, edgy

So, it's look like a bakery company, Bimbo will be promoting the movie.:

It's look like you will be able to buy the Puma shoes that Sonic will wear in the movie after all.:

Cover of the soundtrack.:

EPEMRCYUUAEPt8o?format=jpg&name=small

Some new footage seen in a TV Spot.:

Popsicle and some commercials from Bimbo and a French energy drink brand.:

Spoiler

Someone had spotted this at a mall.:

EQEEuh-UcAA93Zu?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The reviews so far point to what I expected: Not really a proper Sonic movie, just a vehicle to cash in on "cartoon character ends up in our world." I'm sure it'll do enough to not he a flat-out flop, but it remains to be seen if it'll make enough to warrant a sequel.

Jim Carrey was on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert and they talked a bit about the Sonic movie, showed a scene of the film and the dome had Sonic and Eggman on it.

English clip of the car chase.:

Full HD clip of Dr. Robotnik and Major Bennington.:

More promotions that I found.:

Image result for puma sonic shoe ad 2020

So, this ad that launched on PUMA's story for Instagram was very misleading into thinking that we were going to get Sonic's actual shoes. Several people commented that the release date was going to be the 7th, (tomorrow). 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this just dropped from the Japanese PUMA website, and it shows these RS-X3's recently listed. The release date is 2/7.

https://jp.puma.com/jp/ja/pd/puma-x-sonic-rs-x3-color-スニーカー/373427.html?dwvar_373427_color=01

So, these are the shoes we're officially getting. Not Sonic's, not the ones that I, and I'm sure a lot of us Sonic fans really want. (Of course I don't speak for every one of us, I just know that a lot of people do want them, me included. It would be a conclusion of a 27 year long dream for me.) 

Also, here's another article for proof about the 2/7 release for these shoes. 

https://hypebeast.com/2020/1/puma-rs-x3-sonic-the-hedgehog-373427-01-release-date-info

So, I apologize for the bad news, but alas we're socked again with disappoinment.

EDIT:

Here is the American link for the RS-X3's:

https://us.puma.com/en/us/pd/puma-x-sonic-rs-x³-color-mens-sneakers/373427.html?dwvar_373427_color=01

Meh, yeah, disappointed again. 

the marketing push for this has been kind of dizzying, honestly. i don't think sonic has been pushed this heavily since his debut!

i know it's a major motion picture, which is naturally going to have more of a markting campaign than most video games, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

The shoes look nice, but on top of not being the shoes Sonic wears, I don't see what about them particularly relates to Sonic.  It's not as forced a promotion as "Sonic loves tiny tacos", but given how appropriate a promotion a shoe brand potentially is, I think they can do much better.

Hahahaha, I love Puma releasing a clip of Sonic receiving his iconic shoes, then releasing a teaser including a close up of Sonic's shoes and a Puma box with Sonic's iconic shoe colors. And then they reveal their actual shoe looking nothing like Sonic's shoes at all. I hope the official reveal commercial will be a Puma executive throwing Sonic's original shoes off a cliff, Luke Skywalker style.

Perfect. Sums up modern Sonic perfectly, hype people up with what they want and then pull the rug under them.
But hey, it's for kids, right? If there's one group of people who are very understanding for "No you can't have this cool thing because "The Fashion" and "the marketers" say so" arguments, it's small children.

So this movie will be as dark and edgey as Disney's Bambi. Got it.

" Very repetitive movie, with lots of "Sonic being fast" jokes. "
Urghhh.. Like  Colors, Lost world, Sonic's twitter, the entire Sonic boom franchise and Tyson Hesse's cartoons didn't already give me irony poisoning overload.

• Chuckle 4

7 hours ago, Jango said:

I finally understand the meaning of "literally everywhere".

Surprised they didn't give Sonic Movie posters to homeless people to hold all day in the promise of a free lunch at this point.

9 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Hahahaha, I love Puma releasing a clip of Sonic receiving his iconic shoes, then releasing a teaser including a close up of Sonic's shoes and a Puma box with Sonic's iconic shoe colors. And then they reveal their actual shoe looking nothing like Sonic's shoes at all. I hope the official reveal commercial will be a Puma executive throwing Sonic's original shoes off a cliff, Luke Skywalker style.

Perfect. Sums up modern Sonic perfectly, hype people up with what they want and then pull the rug under them.
But hey, it's for kids, right? If there's one group of people who are very understanding for "No you can't have this cool thing because "The Fashion" and "the marketers" say so" arguments, it's small children.

So this movie will be as dark and edgey as Disney's Bambi. Got it.

" Very repetitive movie, with lots of "Sonic being fast" jokes. "
Urghhh.. Like  Colors, Lost world, Sonic's twitter, the entire Sonic boom franchise and Tyson Hesse's cartoons didn't already give me irony poisoning overload.

I’m not sure why you put Tyson Hesse’s cartoons in that pile.  Sure; they’re comedies, but they mostly rely on slapstick for their humor; not references to the brand’s history and memes.  The closest they came to the latter is Team Sonic Racing Overdrive, and though it has a lot of callbacks to Adventure era (gift horses I would rather not look in the mouth; at least not until they become as ubiquitous as Green Hill Zone callbacks), all of the jokes about that still come from an understanding of who the characters are in the series rather than from what jokes have been made about them outside the games.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Jeff posted this picture of him and Jim and promised that everybody will have a great time watching the movie.:

On-set interview with Tika who played Maddie.:

Video of Jim talking about the movie in The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.:

Found a promotion from a Brazilian car rental company, Movida Rent a Car.:

New clip.:

Found some ads in Singapore and Thailand.:

Spoiler

I found this set photo from Instagram.:

One thing that’s really annoying me: the logical inconsistencies. Sonic knows what car insurance is, has seen Fast and Furious, and so forth, but he’s never seen a mechanical bull?

I think it makes sense there'd still be holes in his knowledge of Earth. World's a big place, and even if he's watching a lot of movies and stuff he may have just happened to not see any depictions of [insert thing here].

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

One thing that’s really annoying me: the logical inconsistencies. Sonic knows what car insurance is, has seen Fast and Furious, and so forth, but he’s never seen a mechanical bull?

I'm not sure where the inconsistency here is...

Are there Mech Bulls in the F&F movies?

Also the clip doesn’t necessarily imply that he’s never seen one; maybe he’s just making a goofy observation.

Are people seriously asking why Sonic wouldn't know literally every aspect of Earth?

In real life, people can't find Italy on a map or name any the 50 states of the country they've spent 30+years of their lives in. I think you can bare with the fact that he doesn't know what a mechanical bull is, not like that's particularly popular.

Also yeah it'd make more sense that he'd know about insurance for fast things and the movie franchise about fast people in fast cars than some metal version of some animal.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1