Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

20 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Something that has occurred to me about this: While the trailers just display Sonic being This seems like the first time in years that Sonic has put on an air of "I'm here to kick your ass and have fun doing it."

"Is that all you got!?"

"Let me know if you wanna go round two with the blue!"

"Basically it looks I'm gonna have to save your planet."

"Look at this! I took 9 million steps today."

I'm assuming it's going to be a combination (or probably a character growth) of Sonic's goofiness and snarky behavior. The origin of how that trait developed. Kind of reminds me of Sonic X in a way.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

"Is that all you got!?"

"Let me know if you wanna go round two with the blue!"

"Basically it looks I'm gonna have to save your planet."

"Look at this! I took 9 million steps today."

One of these things is not like the others.

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

One of these things is not like the others.

I chose that because Sonic is acting as if saving the world is a simple or fun essential task (hence the word "basically"). His tone of voice and the fact that he's smiling with somewhat of a smug expression while saying that, kind of gives off a "I'm going to have fun kicking Robotnik's ass" kind of vibe to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Doubt it the movie does not give a swearing vibe at best its pg for the action and missiles blowing up buildings and trucks, and guns. though early drafts had the mini bots having machine guns instead of missiles. Well some had them still.

5 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Here is the high quality version of the new TV spot.:

Also, new bus ad spotted in NYC.:

In time-honored tradition, this movie releases a "new" video consisting almost completely of footage from older videos.

And I must say, after having to watch mostly the same footage repeatedly, what good feelings I got from Tyson Hesse's redesign and the better energy (and Sonic focus) of the second trailer are starting to dissipate.  I stand by my vigorous defense of movie Sonic being playful comedic character, on a purely conceptual level, but that's irrelevant of whether his jokes are actually funny.  As it stands, I would say a good portion of them aren't even actually jokes

Even as Sonic himself starts to look more cartoony, a lot of the dialogue in this seems realistic in a bad way; as if writers are approaching it like "Where's the most likely place for this conversation to go" instead of "Where's the funniest place for this conversation to go."  That they punctuate these non-jokes with standard trailer tropes used to showcase jokes just makes it more blatant how much they're not jokes.  The duffel bag bit from the first trailer has already been dissected thusly.  The setup is that Sonic's in the bag, Tom wants to dissuade curious onlookers and insults Sonic while inadvertently creating the mis-impression that he's a kidnapper, and maybe even a pedophile.  Things get awkward, and then Sonic chimes in by saying it smells in there.  Instead of continuing the comedy of errors they had going, he just aborts it by bringing up something out of left field.  A surprising amount of the showcase bits are like that.

Setup

Sonic: You've gotta help me!

Tom: Why?

"Punchline"

Sonic: Please; it's life or death!

Setup

Sonic took a shower and is wearing two towels.

"Punchline"

Sonic: Fun times!

Setup

Sonic stares at and talks to a dog.

"Punchline"

The dog licks him; Sonic finds this gross.

Again, this feels much, much too natural and typical.  Highlighting that last example, a dog licking someone is common.  Someone finding that gross is common.  Nothing in that exchange takes any advantage of how it's specifically Sonic interacting with the dog.  Here's what would be an actual (though not exactly great) joke in that same context: Sonic asks the dog a question, the dog just looks at him blankly, and Sonic says "Okay; I guess on this planet, only one species talks!"

Closing this out, remember that these are the showpieces, theoretically meant to get people psyched for the movie.  I'm not optimistic for those things they aren't showing.

Then again, they took a long time to show us a gorgeously rendered South Island, with some of its animal denizens, instead of sub-standard family film schlock, so maybe this movie just has a piss-poor publicity department.  Not that the trailer featuring Sonic's world is proof this movie will be good either, but at least it gives me things to be curious about, instead of just worried.

5 hours ago, Sonic Warrior said:

Are we getting a new trailer?

It could be released today, now that we're exactly 30 days away of the release.

There should be a final trailer, may or may not be today but the probable release window is quite small.  Also staff don't like trailer release speculation after the mess guessing about trailer 2 made.

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

In time-honored tradition, this movie releases a "new" video consisting almost completely of footage from older videos.

Those are TV spots they nearly always get made up of trailer clips, they're aimed at people that aren't already following everything about a film.

• Fist Bump 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:39 PM, Badnik Mechanic said:

Look what I found.

> Finlay can confirm that it appears Robotniks Mechs are indeed called badniks in the movie.

YES!!! Score one more for Jim Carrey Robotnik! It doesn't even matter that they look like generic drones now. Once Robotnik goes off the slippery slope, he can start making them look more creative later on. But from pretty much everything I'm hearing and seeing, this is shaping up to become my 3rd favorite incarnation of the Good Doctor himself! (2nd is AOSTH, 1st is Game Eggman)

• Thumbs Up 1

The last two trailers were uploaded on a Tuesday. Today is Tuesday.

It could be today that you get your final trailer. 

54 minutes ago, Sonario said:

> Finlay can confirm that it appears Robotniks Mechs are indeed called badniks in the movie.

There's still a chance they only use the name in marketing materials and never mention it in the movie.

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Interesting video

Seeing that video I agreed with a lot of the points raised and led me to making a different thread about it. Whatever they decide to do, I hope it's for the better.

Haven't seen that video yet, but if I'm going to be honest...I wouldn't mind some kind of Sonic reboot spawning from this film. The Sonic franchise has such a confusing timeline, setting, and rule on what's canon or not canon. It's like we get a completely different soft reboot everytime they change the voice cast and it just adds more to confusion. I think they should make some sort of spin off adaptation (like a film series, cartoon, or even anime) to explain the entirety of the story of these games in a proper less confusing timeline. I wouldn't even mind a continuation of Sonic X to be real, since they already got Adventure 1 and 2 down. It'd be cool if we got to see that series or these films adapt games we never got to see adapted before. Like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic CD, a better story for Sonic Heroes/Shadow The Hedgehog, the Sonic Advance series, the Sonic Rush series, the two storybook games, Sonic Unleashed, etc.

And no, I'm not really thinking of Sonic fans themselves when I say this, I'm once again thinking of general audiences who have never played these games before. They could now visit these stories from another medium such as film or a series.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you think that video is interesting.

I went one step further.

I'm amazed I'm saying this.

But I think Movie Sonic is a far stronger and clearer brand than Modern Sonic is.

Even if you put aside the gameplay and level design problem. Modern Sonic is in an absolute mess. It's overly converluted and contraditory... often within it's own individual game.

Yet the Movie is just clearer and as a world is stronger than what the game counterpart has on offer right now.

51 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Interesting video:

While I do agree with some points such as giving us something like the hubworld from Unleashed as a moment to just play as Sonic (and friends preferably) interacting with the environment and roaming around instead of just going from point A to B over and over, I'm not sure I feel that "reintroducing" or "reinventing" Sonic would be the right idea. Remember that Sonic 06 was actually called Sonic the Hedgehog and meant to be a soft reboot or reintroduction thing itself. As was Boom except it was proposed as an alternate universe. Instead of doing anything radical or "reintroducing" Sonic to people, I propose that they just refine what we've already got.

Let the Mania team continue with the Classic series, and for the Modern series, try not to blend everything you can into it and just focus on some aspects at once. Having a loose canon/continuity can actually work well for the series here as you can go from one serious no-nonsense game to another lighthearted silly game and back whenever you want. The important thing is consistency in the scope of the game itself. If Forces didn't have any awkward humor or "POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" stuff added to it and continued as a grimdark "war in Sonic's world" SATAM-eque thing, I bet it would have done a lot better tonally. Also, for the gameplay, try not to blend Classic and Modern together into a hodgepodge. Pick a style and stick with it, refining and tuning it into feeling proper instead of shoving extra things into it.

1 minute ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

If you think that video is interesting.

I went one step further.

I'm amazed I'm saying this.

But I think Movie Sonic is a far stronger and clearer brand than Modern Sonic is.

Even if you put aside the gameplay and level design problem. Modern Sonic is in an absolute mess. It's overly converluted and contraditory... often within it's own individual game.

Yet the Movie is just clearer and as a world is stronger than what the game counterpart has on offer right now.

Now this though, might be jumping the gun a bit. I say wait and see what the Movie is like before outright declaring it to be a superior replacement for Modern. Sure it has a better self-identity, but so did Modern during Adventure 1-2. Plus Modern has a long history and plenty of characters to rely on and a lot of interesting character development and characterizations have also happened throughout the games. You just have to dig a little deep to see it. While I do agree the latest Modern games haven't really been doing so well in the story and characterization department, that's not to say the potential isn't there anymore. You just need to get the right people to work on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Arguably Movie Sonic has a stronger identity than Modern Sonic, because like Classic Sonic it had less things to identify, except it's even more limited than Classic Sonic, and I'd say that's a fault.  Plugging Sonic into the human world isn't an irreparable recipe for failure, but the scenario they stuck him in throws out a lot of what Sonic stood for; for example there are no environmentalist tones left in this.  There aren't necessarily many freedom vs oppression tones either, at least not initially.

A version of Robotnik whose primary agenda is to capture Sonic instead of having something grander and clashing with Sonic only when Sonic intervenes, may indeed be more aggressive than his game counterpart, but to counter that he has less machines at his disposal to make that aggression menacing.  And because he's attacking Sonic, their feud is not meaningful.  There's nothing inherently there to make viewers invested in what happens to Sonic.  The movie will tie their simple chase to the fate of the world, somehow, but if they had just gone with a more game-accurate story, they wouldn't have to tie it.  

While on the subject of Robotnik, I think people are way too optimistic in assuming that he only lacks interesting robots because this is an origin story and he'll have them next movie.  Even if that's what they plan on doing, I don't like being baited into watching a lackluster origin story on the grounds that it will lead to something preestsblished that I like more.

• Thumbs Up 2

If anything the bots are generic because of the same thought process that brought that original Sonic design.

The robots are generic because Robotnik works for the Government in this movie and his tech is designed for the military. It wouldn't make any sense for him to have robotic beetles and monkeys. 

14 minutes ago, Myst said:

The robots are generic because Robotnik works for the Government in this movie and his tech is designed for the military. It wouldn't make any sense for him to have robotic beetles and monkeys. 

He's an eccentric genius that they bring in out of desperation, he's not working with standardized military technology, there is no reason his machines have to be boring and generic.

• Thumbs Up 7