Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Myst said:

The robots are generic because Robotnik works for the Government in this movie and his tech is designed for the military. It wouldn't make any sense for him to have robotic beetles and monkeys. 

The robots are generic because it's a live action movie, and thus "needs" to be more "realistic."

It's Sonic '06 all over again.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Myst said:

The robots are generic because Robotnik works for the Government in this movie and his tech is designed for the military. It wouldn't make any sense for him to have robotic beetles and monkeys. 

That's a poor excuse, robotic beetles and monkeys not making sense is exactly the point, it's Dr Robotnik. He's already being portrayed as the eccentric "last resort," that could include drones and droids that look like colorful bugs and such with no problem. You don't even necessarily need to stuff animals inside of them. Just going with the established motif would've been good enough for this movie, but they wouldn't even make a concession for that!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Absolutely 2

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

If anything the bots are generic because of the same thought process that brought that original Sonic design.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

He's an eccentric genius that they bring in out of desperation, he's not working with standardized military technology, there is no reason his machines have to be boring and generic.

Exactly.  In fact, if I was Tyson Hesse, I probably would have suggested they redesign the robots, as well.

As has often been the case, this film's apologists keep coming up with theories about how it can still get "there from here", but that hangs on the thread of whether it's creators want to, and doesn't really justify why they didn't just start "there".  SEGA Eggman started with creative robots in the first Sonic game, and it didn't bomb.  Why do they need to set specific events in motion to get to that point in a movie?  If the answer is "Becaude in a mostly live-action, 'realistic' movie those things aren't as inherently believable", then add that to the pile of things that should have made them reconsider making this that sort of movie.  The same applies to a military backstory; if you perceive that indeed mandates Robotnik having duller badniks than he does in the games, consider giving him some other backstory.  This should not be hard in an era when computers and robots are more ubiquitous than ever in the private sector.

I'm beating this horse again: Nothing is gained from playing Sonic's plot this conservative.  The sort of serious, live-action elitists who would normally turn up their noses at a film called "Sonic the Hedgehog" are not going to be won over by clumsy attempts to make it feel more grounded in reality, which to on top of that haven't even succeeded at that goal.  This movie's best chances of success lie with people who love the very things that approach is keeping out of the movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd rather have an adaptation of an already existing property try something entirely different and new that we've never seen the character be involved with before than something that's just the same thing we have seen before.

Sonic being an alien and entering the human world is in fact something we've seen before (it's not even the most original kind of story), but going more in depth with that and using it as an origin of how Sonic and Robotnik first met is interesting to me. Showing what Sonic was like as a child, and how he controls his power, is indeed interesting to me.

I honestly like that this ADAPTATION is taking an entirely different and unusual approach to the franchise. I don't like how Sonic was originally designed in this movie and looked nothing like Sonic, but I do like that there's a completely new story for this character to tackle for us audiences to see. If this film wasn't advertised yet, and there were test screenings, and I was to choose to whether or not I should watch a test screening for an animated Satam film adaptation based on the comics, or a test screening of this movie, (only knowing what the stories are for these films and nothing else) I would probably watch this one just because it's new premise intrigues me.

"Live action Sonic The Alien Origin Story" intrigues me just because of how bizarre it sounds. And I really think it could be pulled off with good execution.

• Thumbs Up 3

Almost full body of Dr. Robotnik. Somehow, I can't find the source for this one. Strange.

EORaK2FWAAI6sED.jpg

Also, some advertising at the LA airport.:

Spoiler

Also, I found this Chinese smartphone company which seem to promote for the movie.,:

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 6

I really agree with the robots criticisms, they are made with the same philosophy of the original design, boring, realistic and uninspired, generic.

7 minutes ago, Jack in Space said:

I really agree with the robots criticisms, they are made with the same philosophy of the original design, boring, realistic and uninspired, generic.

They always could have gone somewhere in the middle too. For example while the G.U.N. robots in the games look more realistic, they still have some bright spots of colors like red and yellow. So even though it was made different from Eggman's, it still felt nice to look at as they weren't 100% realistic. Maybe they could have done a prototype version where it's modified off the military bots to look closer to the final result. I think it would give an interesting look too it if done right, and could parallel Sonic not getting his shoes until later.

12 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Exactly.  In fact, if I was Tyson Hesse, I probably would have suggested they redesign the robots, as well.

I've been thinking about this for a while. I bet it will come out later that he did suggest this. It seems so obvious. But it would bloat the budget further to redo them.

Maybe we will see a Motobug or something by the end of the movie. That would be wonderful!

16 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Almost full body of Dr. Robotnik. Somehow, I can't find the source for this one. Strange.

EORaK2FWAAI6sED.jpg

I'm still not a fan of Jim Carrey in the role of the same villainous character that he always plays Robotnik, but the suit he's in looks pretty good. It's loud and outrageous, as Robotnik should be. Feels like it's lacking a touch of yellow compared to his game designs, though it's not much of an issue. 

I don't understand why he can't be wearing this kind of outfit for the entire film. And the same goes for Sonic's shoes. Why does every origin story have to involve characters obtaining their iconic appearance? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad that there's potential swearing in this movie, and I'm happy that Detective Pikachu had that as well. The American PG rating needs to start actually freaking meaning something these days.

7 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

I've been thinking about this for a while. I bet it will come out later that he did suggest this. It seems so obvious. But it would bloat the budget further to redo them.

Maybe we will see a Motobug or something by the end of the movie. That would be wonderful!

Robots are much easier to model in 3d.  They were the first assignment in my first 3d class, and I recall seeing a 3d job application, I think at Rareware, that said something like "Put organic characters in your portfolio; not robots" (to prove you're not a n00b).  Metals are among the easiest materials to simulate.  Finally, numerous 3d models of badniks exist from the games.   Desire to be different may be an excuse not to do game/accuate badniks, but cost is not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand the opinion that these movie robots are visually uninteresting, and to some extent I do agree, but is nobody going to acknowledge that they kind of look like... Eggs?

It wouldn't surprise me if that's how Robotnik earns his "Eggman" nickname here. He's neither round nor bald in this movie, so if his appearance isn't egg-like, then perhaps the egg theme got shunted over to his robots.

• Thumbs Up 2

Again, considering we haven't seen the entire film, and that this is an origin story, it's kind of reasonable as to why they don't look like badnicks. This takes place during a time before Sonic and Robotnik met, and we know that Robotnik gets crazier as the film progresses. My prediction is that Sonic is the one that caused him to have a fascination with capturing animals and using their powers. I wouldn't say that's a spoiler because it's pretty clear that's what's happening in this film. A sequel or possibly towards the end of this film is when we start to see badnicks develop.

Also epic photos, where did you find that?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/14/2020 at 12:36 PM, Scritch the Cat said:

Arguably Movie Sonic has a stronger identity than Modern Sonic, because like Classic Sonic it had less things to identify, except it's even more limited than Classic Sonic, and I'd say that's a fault.  Plugging Sonic into the human world isn't an irreparable recipe for failure, but the scenario they stuck him in throws out a lot of what Sonic stood for; for example there are no environmentalist tones left in this.  There aren't necessarily many freedom vs oppression tones either, at least not initially.

A version of Robotnik whose primary agenda is to capture Sonic instead of having something grander and clashing with Sonic only when Sonic intervenes, may indeed be more aggressive than his game counterpart, but to counter that he has less machines at his disposal to make that aggression menacing.  And because he's attacking Sonic, their feud is not meaningful.  There's nothing inherently there to make viewers invested in what happens to Sonic.  The movie will tie their simple chase to the fate of the world, somehow, but if they had just gone with a more game-accurate story, they wouldn't have to tie it.  

While on the subject of Robotnik, I think people are way too optimistic in assuming that he only lacks interesting robots because this is an origin story and he'll have them next movie.  Even if that's what they plan on doing, I don't like being baited into watching a lackluster origin story on the grounds that it will lead to something preestsblished that I like more.

Maybe the original villains, those lizards, will provide it?

33 minutes ago, Myst said:

Twitter

Just a heads up; whenever you post news/images/whatever, it's good practice to include link back to the source that you used. It's just very helpful for other

40 minutes ago, Myst said:

EOWdE-DX0AAlV0N?format=jpg&name=large

Oh man, the CG on Sonic is really conspicuous. Ever since the much needed redesign, he's been looking much more like a cartoon character in the real world. Some of its the fact that the new design is less "realistic" but the lighting just looks way off here. Sonic's not believably part of that scene.

Also is he standing up on the car seat? No way that his torso should be up that high unless he's standing, or on a booster seat...

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Also is he standing up on the car seat? No way that his torso should be up that high unless he's standing, or on a booster seat...

I think he literally is standing. The height is just about right for that, maybe with a slight cheat for the sake of framing. There's already a shot in the trailer that got the sitting height right. Since that Robotnik mech is already in the background I imagine he's already got up ready to jump out of the sun roof like in trailer 1.