Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

I can't imagine Shadow or Silver having a big role in this cartoon. The major players the show is centered around are already listed in the press release. I imagine Shadow is popular enough that if he was a key character he would be mentioned.

That's not to say they won't show up, but any role they play would be minor, perhaps even only a single episode. You also have to take into account that they may be one shot enemies in this rather than friends or rivals, as only a large rogues gallery of enemies is mentioned in the info that Sega has revealed so far. There's nothing about other friends written anywhere. Those four may be it.

Either way I wouldn't hold my breath for anyone besides the ones mentioned in the press release as having major roles. The other characters have enough of a following and recognition these days that if they were in I'm sure Sega would have mentioned it, especially with Shadow and Silver whome they seem to love throwing in every side project these days >.<

I can't imagine Shadow or Silver having a big role in this cartoon. The major players the show is centered around are already listed in the press release. I imagine Shadow is popular enough that if he was a key character he would be mentioned.

That's not to say they won't show up, but any role they play would be minor, perhaps even only a single episode. You also have to take into account that they may be one shot enemies in this rather than friends or rivals, as only a large rogues gallery of enemies is mentioned in the info that Sega has revealed so far. There's nothing about other friends written anywhere. Those four may be it.

Either way I wouldn't hold my breath for anyone besides the ones mentioned in the press release as having major roles. The other characters have enough of a following and recognition these days that if they were in I'm sure Sega would have mentioned it, especially with Shadow and Silver whome they seem to love throwing in every side project these days >.<

They did say that additional characters would be added, old and new.  It would be foolish of them to explicitly mention anyone aside from the main four at this point, as many characters (such as Silver) are linked directly to their plotpoint in some shape or form.

Aside from the main four and Eggman himself, I think anyone has a fair chance of appearing at this point because there's been a severe lack of details so far.

I think we will see some of the characters I mentioned in my opinion. Probably when the time draws nearer from the program to air we'll hear more news.

They did say that additional characters would be added, old and new.  It would be foolish of them to explicitly mention anyone aside from the main four at this point, as many characters (such as Silver) are linked directly to their plotpoint in some shape or form.

A good point. If you tell every character that is in the show right away, you risk spoiling some plot points that would be in the show by telling what all characters are in the show. Having surprise characters show up out of the blue is better for your story sometimes and also keeps people guessing about who will and won't be appearing in the show.

A good point. If you tell every character that is in the show right away, you risk spoiling some plot points that would be in the show by telling what all characters are in the show. Having surprise characters show up out of the blue is better for your story sometimes and also keeps people guessing about who will and won't be appearing in the show.

Well, it's not just that. The show is specifically said to focus on Sonic, Tails and Eggman:

The series centers on Sonic, his best friend and sidekick, Tails, their never-ending search for adventure, and their battles with Sonic’s arch-nemesis, Dr. Eggman. Rounding out the ensemble are fan favorites Knuckles and Amy Rose, plus a rogue’s gallery of enemies—some familiar to Sonic fans and some brand-new.

So while those three are practically guaranteed to be in every episode, I think Knuckles and Amy will be regularly recurring enough to be considered main characters. That's where the main focus of the show is going to be. Everyone else will likely be far less frequent in their appearances.

They did say that additional characters would be added, old and new. It would be foolish of them to explicitly mention anyone aside from the main four at this point, as many characters (such as Silver) are linked directly to their plotpoint in some shape or form.

They said a "rogues gallery of ENEMIES old and new" not characters. Like I said they haven't mentioned anything at all about other friends yet. Doesn't mean they won't show up, but they won't be major characters, as in they won't be in every episode if they do show up. Perhaps they may get an episode about them in some way, but even then the focus will be on Sonic, Tails and Eggman, the press release says pretty much that. And you can't go assuming that just because characters haven't been mentioned that they will be part of the plot of the show, we know nothing of the plot besides it centers on Sonic & Tails fighting Eggman, that's it. We will have to wait for the reveal to gleem any of the plot points if it even has any besides the duo fighting Eggman with Amy and Knuckles help.

Being 55 mini episodes or whatever has me worried it will be more like Adventure Time or Spongebob, of even the new Mickey Mouse etc where there is no real overarching plot besides good guys vs random plot of a single show type deal.

Considering the number of characters that start as villains (or at the very least, aren't on friendly terms with Sonic from the very beginning), I think that still opens the doorway to a great variety of other characters.

So, one thing I was thinking about; a theme song. Will it be instrumental, have vocals, etc? Will it be done by Crush 40, Cash Cash, Tomoya Ohanti, etc?

This is one thing I'm really curious about...

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably Cash Cash though I'd love Crush 40 to do a song. And if it's a vocal song, it will most definitely be Sonic Boom, what else! XP

• Thumbs Up 4

So, one thing I was thinking about; a theme song. Will it be instrumental, have vocals, etc? Will it be done by Crush 40, Cash Cash, Tomoya Ohanti, etc?

This is one thing I'm really curious about...

Yeah, Cash Cash or Crush 40 doing the main theme song would be great. I'm alright if it's just orchestrated and done by Tomoya Ohtani,but come now, we're long overdue for a new vocal theme. If the theme song is vocal, it probably would be "Sonic Boom", but I would want it to be a new remix, even if it's done by Crush 40. I'm not saying their rendition is bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't want them to just take their version and slap it onto the show. 

Also, I really hope this show's entire OST will actually be good. Getting some game composers like Tomoya Ohtani, Fumie Kumatani, Jun Senoue, Mariko Nanba, etc, would really kick up Sonic Boom's soundtrack a notch, and truly make us feel like we're watching a Sonic show. Alternatively, the soundtrack better be just plain good. Sonic X is a prime example: the US OST was just generic and didn't fit aside from "Gotta go Fast", where the JP version was drawing from the games a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, I really hope this show's entire OST will actually be good. Getting some game composers like Tomoya Ohtani, Fumie Kumatani, Jun Senoue, Mariko Nanba, etc, would really kick up Sonic Boom's soundtrack a notch, and truly make us feel like we're watching a Sonic show. Alternatively, the soundtrack better be just plain good. Sonic X is a prime example: the US OST was just generic and didn't fit aside from "Gotta go Fast", where the JP version was drawing from the games a bit.

Just a little bit. Seriously most of the songs and music was your average animu except for one episode with Live and Learn and I think SA2 cutscene music in some episodes of Season 2 of Sonic X.

Just a little bit. Seriously most of the songs and music was your average animu except for one episode with Live and Learn and I think SA2 cutscene music in some episodes of Season 2.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Sonic X JP OST was CHANNELING the games over DRAWING. Or, it simply didn't feel generic and sounded like a high quality OST where the music matched the situation or tone that was going on in a scene.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Sonic X JP OST was CHANNELING the games over DRAWING. Or, it simply didn't feel generic and sounded like a high quality OST where the music matched the situation or tone that was going on in a scene.

I can't argue with that! There were some moments in Sonic X JP where the music was really cool but IMO most of the time it was just your average anime soundtrack. Same thing goes for the OP and ED songs. I swear T.O.P. sounds like something from One Piece or Gurren Lagann.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't argue with that! There were some moments in Sonic X JP where the music was really cool but IMO most of the time it was just your average anime soundtrack.

A fair point. I guess the same attitude can be applied to Sonic Boom's: the music can end up being really good, but not really sound Sonic-y per say, something I'm worried about. It's the exact same problem I had with Lost World's OST: it's highly competent and well made, but I don't think "Sonic" when I hear more than half of the songs on that soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 1

We are a bit overdue for a new Sonic vocal song, but this show, at least right now being called Sonic Boom, I don't see why they wouldn't go for trying to get that recent Sonic Boom remix that Crush 40 did. If the show remains with that title, you have a modern song and an older song that both have the name of the show in it already created for you. Instead of having to hire people to make a new song, you just get the rights to use the song on the show instead. That both depends if creating a new song is more expensive than just getting one of the already premade songs with that name in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will vouch for wanting a vocal theme. Since it's a kid's show that helps the chances given that those tend to be more fond of catchy, cheesy lyrics than most games.

No idea who it'll be composed by but it's a safe bet it won't be Crush 40. I think Crush 40 has been quietly removed from the SEGA scene barring events where they like to kick up nostalgia.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, all they need to do is make it as near catchy as Ducktales. That alone will get everyone knowing it.

• Thumbs Up 2

While it'd be a nice nostalgic touch to use Sonic Boom as a song, or some cover, I don't think they will. It's bound to be an original piece as this is meant for a younger audience and they will, as companies do, go the extra mile for it rather than settling with what's worked before.

I only hope it's as beautifully corny as Fastest Thing Alive or Sonic Underground.

Get real, its going to be in-house music done by hairbrained nitwits who won't know 1 thing about the series' characters or story comes from.

I'm guessing a mesh of AOSTH and SX 4kids, but worse.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yet, you never know if they will even have a theme song. I see so many series, both cartoons and real people shows that almost seem to not even have an opening at all anymore. It sucks, but I really do see shows all the time that don't have one or the opening is less than five to ten seconds long. Yet, long ago, a long wondrous opening was almost a must to catch people's attention. I just don't see that as much anymore, at least with the stuff I watch.

If it does have an opening theme, common precedence leads me to assume that it's not going to be performed by anyone from the games, let alone composed by Sunoue or the related music staff.  With that said, I won't be too picky with whatever they choose.  I jut hope it won't be as vapid and bare bone as Gotta Go Fast.

I say the very second we find out who these composers are we hunt them down and show them what wonderful music this series has to offer, at least then we have a small chance of having something remotely related to the games as the soundtrack and not some goofy, campy, non-sonic crap playing in the background.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope they realise the importance of having occasional silence also. Sometimes a scene can be more impactful without music than with it. The problem with Sonic X (and other 4kids shows, such as Yugioh) was the constant noise and dramatic orchestral cues in almost every scene. It can be draining to watch.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's a good thing 4Kids aren't around anymore, their constant "kids love rap" "kids can't read" "kids wouldn't understand cultural references or characters being from outside America" nonsense brought animation and dubbing down in a big way.

Dunno if its true but the prevailing rumor was that the few uncut discs they did with Funimation sold better than their cut stuff and they halted production because they didn't want a better than of competing product for their edited line on the market, especially when it cost more to edit the material than leave it as is.

I do agree with Jet tho, you don't often see a cartoon or show with decent openings anymore. What happened to the catchy theme song shows of the 80's and 90's or even back in the 70's where you can't get it out of your head. Things like Ducktales, the opening is iconic. These days most shows have a very vapid and forgettable opening, animation and music score wise. It is sad :(

• Thumbs Up 4