Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Personally, im just hoping the other characters like shadow get some time in this show, honestly while I don't like his new voice actor much I want them to use the character more so that he can get better at voicing shadow and so we can get more used to it (since griffith was my favorite performance with shadow and it would be nice if I could get his out of my head so I can enjoy the new one) sides, shadow and the rest of the cast really need some love, they really haven't done much with them and I would love an episode where shadow and espio get into some kind of duel.

A reboot would mean commitment to more consistency from now on.

I doubt they can rise up to that so I rather we kept on Unleashed's vague-canon rules.

That 4chan write-up was awful btw, as there is a difference with a reboot that takes a humorous look at what was before and a reboot that disregards what was before for humour. Hawaiian Shadow is not a joke about Shadow, it's just going "hey look a lazy hawaiian guy".

• Thumbs Up 2

Giving the cannon a shake up again after quite a while...what 1998 since the "modern" redesign, wouldn't be a bad idea, long running series do need fresh air every now and then to keep it from going stale. Doesn't need to be a full on reboot, but a lot of people, even supporters of the current positive direction the games have gone, still think the story and characters need more meat to them to compare it to other works of the same nature. Comparing it to the likes of Ratchet and Clank and the few other platformers left. With the exception of perhaps Mario..who still doesn't have much in the way of a cannon backstory etc..kinda shows you don't really need it, but on the other hand a lot of people seem interested in Sonic getting more background these days. Especially more clear cut character definition.

As fake as that write up was, there are bits that could have been very interesting to see happen. But for the laughs I would agree with all the others on here that I want to see Hawaiian shirt Shadow, never liked the character myself but that version of him I could see myself getting into. That and obviously I would have loved to see Fang get some long overdue recognition. If they plan to use a myriad cast of villains then he totally deserves to be in there. Would be a great way to reintroduce him to the public beyond the re-releases of Fighters, Triple Trouble and Drift.

I'm like a broken record on this but I have wanted to see more baddies in the games, returning ones, not monsters of the week or aliens. Not the large cast of "rivals" or misunderstoods. An actual evil/bad/nasty anthro that is not going to join the team and just wants to ruin everyone's day for his own gain, including Eggman's. Could even work for him from time to time till the opportunity shows to double cross him. Like the Starscream of the Sonic world. I personally think Fang fits that well, but I would even take a new character if need be for the job if they can't repurpose an unused one they have in storage.

I'm not much of a stickler for plot, but it should at least be reasonably interesting to keep viewers invested. Otherwise you have to hope your characters are interesting enough to carry the plot for the most part.

And if recent reactions to the plots are any indication, Eggman is the only character worth giving a damn about.

Maybe Sega would step up if they thought they could come up with new reimaginings for the cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take even the Wisps before I take Buffles the Echidna.

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of Knuckles being somewhat bulkier in the games. Maybe not the same way he appears in the silhouette, but something like this wouldn't look too bad IMHO.

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of Knuckles being somewhat bulkier in the games. Maybe not the same way he appears in the silhouette, but something like this wouldn't look too bad IMHO.

That's actually a pretty nice illustration (really dig the style)... though I honestly would rather Knuckles stay as he is, if only because Knuckles represents the idea that you don't have to be big and buff to be strong. Sure, it might put him in line with all the other current "power" characters by being bigger, but this is the guy who, on his very first appearance, knocked Super Sonic the fuck out. And he's not much bigger than Sonic. And he wasn't super powered. Call it a sucker punch all you want, but Super Sonic is supposed to be invincible, so that shouldn't have happened to begin with. That should say a lot about the kind of power he has without turning him into "Buffles the Echidna."

That's just my take though.

Who knows? Maybe this incarnation of Knuckles might be sorta cool to watch, but that doesn't mean I'd want him replacing the original incarnation (refer back to my "Looney Tunes" comparison).

Because Making him a cliche is more appealing apparently. I dunno, shit still makes no sense.

Why does it suck to be Knuckles so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 3

People like to view things in black and white when grownups. It doesn't surprise me that companies like SEGA assume younger audiences would do so to an even worse degree, to the point they can only understand walking caricatures rather than complex, varied characters.

I'm getting the feeling there's a "lol kids are dumb" sentiment prevalent in the SEGA design team...

People like to view things in black and white when grownups. It doesn't surprise me that companies like SEGA assume younger audiences would do so to an even worse degree, to the point they can only understand walking caricatures rather than complex, varied characters.

I'm getting the feeling there's a "lol kids are dumb" sentiment prevalent in the SEGA design team...

I don't wanna sound like I'm taking another pot shot at Ken and Warren, but the current writing really starts to give off this impression with how simplified everything has become.

As if there were no stupidly simple plots before they came on board. And all that character focused writing in SLoW, that's just dumb baby shit.

Yes, its as if people have a problem with it and criticize it. But obviously, I'm not allowed to do so.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am going to try to be optimistic about this project. I think if the animation is good and has a good plot then it could work really well. Having the VA's from the games will work very well but what the Studio have planned for these adventures we shall see but I am excited to see Sonic back on the TV again and the possibility of a film as well is very exciting as well

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, its as if people have a problem with it and criticize it. But obviously, I'm not allowed to do so.

You always act like this is the case whenever someone tries to bring up some legitimate point when its not, no one said you couldn't criticize the current writers, its pretty clear that, that kind of thing isn't looked down upon here and Dio was just trying to argue for the current writing staff instead of against them (which somehow means that you're not allowed to say anything bad about them!?!?).

As for my personal opinion on the subject. Stupidly simple is what id call games like Sonic Heroes or Generations, where theres nothing to them yet they have all the assets there to makes something substantial. Games like SLW and Colors are just simple in scope while they put a much greater focus on the characters themselves then in a lot of previous games, I don't see how they're "dumbing it down" because the plot isn't as multilayered as Lasagna.

• Thumbs Up 1

The plot was "dumbed down" in SLW and Colors as in Heroes and Generations, but they're both closer to Generations in the fact that both introduce loads of plot points that are forgotten immediately and everything goes without explanation because they treated it as if it didn't need to be explained. It's not that "oh it wasn't some multilayered lasagna of story everywhere is why you didn't like it", its because it was a void where they wrote some funny lines (and to some, questionable characterizations) into and called it a day. 

And yes this has nothing to do with Sonic Boom. :V

• Thumbs Up 2

The plot was "dumbed down" in SLW and Colors as in Heroes and Generations, but they're both closer to Generations in the fact that both introduce loads of plot points that are forgotten immediately and everything goes without explanation because they treated it as if it didn't need to be explained. It's not that "oh it wasn't some multilayered lasagna of story everywhere is why you didn't like it", its because it was a void where they wrote some funny lines (and to some, questionable characterizations) into and called it a day. 

And yes this has nothing to do with Sonic Boom. :V

Obviously you view it vastly different then how I do. At the very least saw more to SLW then just "some dumb jokes and bad characterization and thats it" (id like to give the writers more credit then that) but whatever, nothing to do with Boom so ill drop it.

• Thumbs Up 2

You always act like this is the case whenever someone tries to bring up some legitimate point when its not, no one said you couldn't criticize the current writers, its pretty clear that, that kind of thing isn't looked down upon here and Dio was just trying to argue for the current writing staff instead of against them (which somehow means that you're not allowed to say anything bad about them!?!?).

Except that's not what Dio was doing:

As if there were no stupidly simple plots before they came on board. And all that character focused writing in SLoW, that's just dumb baby shit.

Where in this statement is he arguing for the writers, and not trying to diminish my point by pointing out there have been stupidly simple plots in the past, which is a fallacy because that wasn't even my point to begin with, and then making yet another sarcastic remark to further it. I was talking about the simplification in terms of how the narrative is presented and how people view the characters compared to another time. 

And if you bothered to read MY original post:

I don't wanna sound like I'm taking another pot shot at Ken and Warren, but the current writing really starts to give off this impression with how simplified everything has become.

I wasn't even trying to sound sarcastic, I was making a genuine critique of their work and its relation to today. If that comes off as "insulting" to you, then hey, that's your problem.

• Thumbs Up 3

Obviously you view it vastly different then how I do. At the very least saw more to SLW then just "some dumb jokes and bad characterization and thats it" (id like to give the writers more credit then that) but whatever, nothing to do with Boom so ill drop it.

Well I mean, I don't really see what else there was to it. The game didn't exactly want to explain anything in enough detail to make you feel involved, or that there was anything interesting to happen. The game is basically "Sonic sees the bad guys do the bad things, Sonic beats up the bad guys and saves the day".

And I gotta side with Yakuzu on this. I don't even dislike Ken or Warren, nor do I doubt their capabilities. BUT I don't believe that they are exempt from constructive critique, as if anything they do is okay because "its their interpretation of the characters", "Sega's got them on a leash", or "its their writing style" or something.

• Thumbs Up 3

Where in this statement is he arguing for the writers, and not trying to diminish my point by pointing out there have been stupidly simple plots in the past, which is a fallacy because that wasn't even my point to begin with, and then making yet another sarcastic remark to further it. I was talking about the simplification in terms of how the narrative is presented and how people view the characters compared to another time.

I'd just like to know where in his post did it come off as "you're not allowed to criticize them", rather it just being a sarcastic retort?

I wasn't even trying to sound sarcastic, I was making a genuine critique of their work and its relation to today. If that comes off as "insulting" to you, then hey, that's your problem.

Id love it if you could go back and read where I said anything about you insulting them, because I never said that. Hell I said in my first post that no one is telling you that you're not allowed to criticize them, so I honestly don't know where in the world you got that from.

And I gotta side with Yakuzu on this. I don't even dislike Ken or Warren, nor do I doubt their capabilities. BUT I don't believe that they are exempt from constructive critique, as if anything they do is okay because it's "their interpretation of the characters" or "their writing style" or something.

Well thats great, I don't recall saying you can't criticize them or anything (my first reply to Azure was about how he's free to do that as much as he wants)

It wasn't a direct statement at you (at least from my end), it was more of an overarching statement towards the idea of dismissing the critique as if there's no reason for it, which I believe Yakuzu was pointing more at Dio for.

I guess somewhere the points I was trying to make got mixed in due to me also talking to you about how I don't believe SLW nor Colors are much less simple than Heroes or Generations. Gomen4dat.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd just like to know where in his post did it come off as "you're not allowed to criticize them", rather it just being a sarcastic retort?

Id love it if you could go back and read where I said anything about you insulting them, because I never said that. Hell I said in my first post that no one is telling you that you're not allowed to criticize them, so I honestly don't know where in the world you got that from.

It was a sarcastic retort of my own dude....it was kind of obvious, unless it wasn't because that's a pretty stupid thing to argue. And my second point was just pointing out that I had no ill will in my original post, but for some reason Dio seemed to interpret my statement as calling everything Ken and Warren wrote as "simple baby shit".  You didn't really have anything to do with anything involving that :\

• Thumbs Up 1

When I made my original post, I just mean I'm hopeful SEGA doesn't assume kids are morons, as is the common misconception, and goes with a bunch of caricatures instead of complex development. This cartoon is meant to be geared towards children, but to what extent is what I'm curious about. While the Deadly Six being caricatures was excusable given they were most likely one-offs or just simply new characters, there's no reason to drastically rewrite the established cast for this.

SEGA tends to be protective of characters' image, however, so I assume that while Knuckles will be gullible he won't be a drooling moron.

At least, I'm hopeful.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes by disagreeing with you I am clearly attempting to suppress your opinions completely.

I don't agree with the implication that the focus on characterization isn't as valid as focusing on "plot points" would have been. A lot of Sonic stories put the focus on the events and new characters, and the established characters suffer for it; they feel like they're just there to push someone else's story forward. SA is about Tikal and Chaos, SA2 is about Shadow, Gerald, and Maria, ShtH is about Black Doom and the Black Arms, '06 is about Elise, Silver, Mephiles, and Iblis, Unleashed is about Chip and Dark Gaia. And that's not always bad, but it leaves me wishing for some stories that are actually about Sonic and the other core characters. And that's what SLoW does, it sets up the story to focus on and explore Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, with the Zeti and all that being secondary, they're elements to help push the real story forward. And if you wanted more focus on the new elements, that's fine, that's understandable, and if you think ideally they should be able to do both, you're probably right. But this series has proven well enough that we can't expect perfection, and I don't like the story being treated as worthless or the product of laziness or incompetence just because it isn't perfect or because it doesn't focus on what you wanted it to.

I'm defending them by showing that their stories' weaknesses are not unique to them and that they have good things to offer in characterization even if they haven't written the most complex of plots.

Well I mean, I don't really see what else there was to it. The game didn't exactly want to explain anything in enough detail to make you feel involved, or that there was anything interesting to happen. The game is basically "Sonic sees the bad guys do the bad things, Sonic beats up the bad guys and saves the day".

What Sonic game can't be simplified down to that, if you ignore everything that actually happens.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yes by disagreeing with you I am clearly attempting to suppress your opinions completely.
No, instead of disagreeing with me, you once again make facetious remark to undermine my opinion instead of just giving a straight answer. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want a straight response? Here's a straight response. The characterization alone in SLoW outpaces pretty much any aspect of any story in this series in over a decade, and if they were trying to dumb things down for children they wouldn't have bothered.

• Thumbs Up 5