Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Y'all are crazy.

I embrace these redesigns, because as long as the animation is on point I know I'll get used to them. I also wonder if they're more or less cartoony this time. To enhance the comedic effect, you know?

Knuckles is just a little taller with muscle definition. And Sonic looks shaggier so far which isn't a terrible look on him in my opinion. Anyways it's not the games guys. We'll see merch based on this but not likely a game transition.

I like that it's a comedy series as a positive. This ensures we won't be bogged down by any anime melodrama like in Sonic X, not like that's always a bad thing but X was pretty crap after like episode 5.

So yes, I am celebrating this announcement as just a new Sonic cartoon. I was beginning to think Sonic was losing his audience here, and we'd never get to see another one. It's something to be glad about.

Also, as an Archie reader, what the frack are they gonna do with this now?

Proably continue to be their own contiunity as always, maybe do a spinoff series like Sonic X, however I highly Doubt Sega is going to impose any changes upon them  from a show that may not last any longer than a year, though if they see anything they like they can always ask sega to use it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ShhOkufi0

wake up Sonic fandom

I KNEW IT!!

STEVE, WE NEED TO HAVE A WORD WITH YOU!!! *taps foot impatiently*

EDIT: Oh yeah someone brought this up at Retro:

Does anyone remember when we first heard there was going to be a new Thundercats cartoon, and we got this picture:

lionomovie.jpg

Mercifully once the series did come about (as short as it was) it was a lot better::

TheThunderCats2011.jpg

On a side note, how Panthro looks there [above] to what he was in the original could be like what they're doing with Knuckles.

Edited by goku262002

ya'll act like you haven't seen characters with Super Speed wear clothes :\

But what about one that has to curl up in a spiky whirling blue ball to shred up stuff and roll around?

• Thumbs Up 3

Cartoon logic gets around spinning in jackets. Anyways, who can say if the spines don't poke through a jacket?

But what about one that has to curl up in a spiky whirling blue ball to shred up stuff and roll around?

Probably the same logic as the fact his shoes don't catch fire or slowly melt when he runs at the speed of sound due to friction. Like he does to Eggmans mech in Quartz Quadrent in Sonic CD.

And no, you can't count that stupid "they are made out of power rings" stuff from early Americanized Sonic lore, as that's been tossed out the window now.

• Thumbs Up 1

>Cartoon Logic

Sonic's shoes were stated somewhere to be a special friction resistent type shoe making it no problem when running as fast as he does, being the reason he only wears the one pair.

Sonic's shoes were stated somewhere to be a special friction resistent type shoe making it no problem when running as fast as he does, being the reason he only wears the one pair.
This was a "plot" point in an AoStH episode (Episode 19 - Mystery of the Missing Hi-Tops) as well. Sonic's shoes are stolen and he can't run without them because of the friction. It occurs to me that technically his body should be resistant to that since air resistance is a thing. Cartoon logic again, I guess. Not that this has anything at all to do with the games; I just thought I'd share it.

If you wanna get technical, If sonic ran that fast, his skin would fall off...or he would cease to be at all... soo...

Yeah, I tend to think Sonic has these 500 ring ($) shoes (in my headcannon, he has money!) that are made special for him though. He polishes them every morning, because they always look shiny!

Now , sorry to change the topic smile.png.

Edited by knucklesgirl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Doesn't stop it from what will probably look really dumb. :v

Its a cartoon, there is nothing dumb about it because cartoons do not run on logic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Allow me to explain myself further since I did kinda drop the ball on that one:

Sonic wearing a jacket should not affect his abilities at all because none of the clothing that the cast have worn in the years they've been around has. Nobody's shoes burn when they run, and nobody's neck breaks because of G-force. Sonic does have its own set of rules and limits, but wearing clothing is not really breaking them. 

Then that's agreeable. But yeah, what you said before is totally wrong and probably worthy of a paddlin.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Allow me to explain myself further since I did kinda drop the ball on that one:     Sonic wearing a jacket should not affect his abilities at all because none of the clothing that the cast have worn in the years they've been around has. Nobody's shoes burn when they run, and nobody's neck breaks because of G-force. Sonic does have its own set of rules and limits, but wearing clothing is not really breaking them.
Yeah but nobody turns into a buzzsaw with their clothes intact.

Amy can spin in a few games and her dress is always left completely intact.

And I think a dress being fine is more ridiculous than a jacket.

:V

EDIT: Although it'd be pretty funny if Sonic shredded his jacket every time he did a spin attack and he actually has a ridiculous number of spare jackets or something.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 4

In case y'all are interested, here's the showreel of the animation studio that is making Sonic Boom:

http://www.genao-productions.com/#!/fr/page/11/showreel

Quite a bit of CG animation. Not sure what to think of the quality.

The look of these other cartoons makes me feel a little less apprehensive about the design choice... well, except in regards to Knuckles still.  But I mean, these cartoons have some really pleasing aesthetics.  Rather or not the writing is any good or not is still something we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I was just thinking over Knuckles' design.... Maybe, it wasn't plain old Knuckles... maybe it was Knuckles the Werechidna!

I was thinking this ya know?

sonicboom1_zpsaa67f7ea.jpg The idea kinda fits...

Edited by knucklesgirl

Showreel is alright. I'm not expecting groundbreaking animation from a kid's show. I'll be okay with it I think.

As for having a jacket... I don't think anyone's mentioned the key detail. It means Sonic can have a badass moment where he throws it off before a fight. Calling it being done at least once.

• Thumbs Up 1

I grew up on Reboot and Beast Wars. I don't think there's animation too primitive for me to stomach outside of Studio Brinquedo. I mean... I hope it looks good, but it isn't gonna kill me if it's only passable. Ain't like X was a shining example of quality traditional animation.

I'll probably be able to enjoy this even if it's mediocre, as long as it looks and feel more or less like Sonic. I mean, that's basically how I feel about the games. I think that's why the prospect of character redesigns bothers me so much; maybe that's a silly place to draw the line if the show wouldn't be any different otherwise, but that's just how I feel. Low standards mess you up in the head, I guess.

Doesn't stop it from what will probably look really dumb. :v

Dude, Amy and Cream freaking spin-dash in dresses. Tails often has his tails sticking out in ball form when by all forms of logic that shouldn't even be possible, and the same goes for Cream with her ears.

You wanna call spinning around in jackets or other clothing something that will probably look really dumb, why don't you start with the above first? And that's before I go listing every other potentially stupid thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a new take I made on Buffles:

ydxp.png

I'm so sorry... I'm not sorry.

Edited by Dark Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 1