Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Honestly, if you're apprehensive of a comedic Sonic series because of past attempts, then a Sonic series actually attempting to take itself seriously should terrify you. 

I know you're referring to Shadow and Sonic '06, but Sonic Adventure also took itself pretty seriously and (while it hasn't aged particularly well) it still has a pretty good plot and interesting atmosphere.  If the show went in that direction, I wouldn't mind.  (And no, I don't mean in the way that Sonic X "adapted" the stories and then butchered them so that they were completely incoherent and crudely written)

I think I get why they changed knuckles and so much and it's pretty dumb. Seems to me that they're just enacting that dumb modern generic ass animation doctrine that every character needs to have a substantially different body structure, the same concepts that gave us shit like the total drama shit show.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I don't get is why does everyone feel Sonic can only be "Super Serious" or "Light fluffy rainbows"? Have we not had a nice counterbalance of tense moments and lightheartedness in the past? Did SA1, SA2, and Unleashed just not exist anymore?

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, I kinda wanted something more along the lines of Avatar, or the original Teen Titans. But meh, wait and see I guess. 

Dude...like....I know it's been awhile but original Teen Titans had like a shit ton of stupid comedic episodes, most of the serious stuff was saved for the end of the season, I mean here is just a sample of the comedic episode concepts...

-Starfire goes through puberty

-Cyborg gets a virus and eats everything in sight, Beast Boy goes inside of him

-Beast Boy battles evil Tofu

-The Teen Titans are mind controlled by a crazy granny

-Robin has to go out on a date by a girl with a moth for a dad

-Beast Boy is mistaken for the pet of a manchild alien, hijinks ensue.

-Every episode with Control Freak

-Every episode with Mad Mod

What I don't get is why does everyone feel Sonic can only be "Super Serious" or "Light fluffy rainbows"? Have we not had a nice counterbalance of tense moments and lightheartedness in the past? Did SA1, SA2, and Unleashed just not exist anymore?

And surprise surprise, SA1 was the only one to get it right.

Edited by Soniman

Even in those cases, the writing isn't anywhere near what I would consider a good television series, so I can't say I would be confident if the writing was like those games either.

Dude...like....I know it's been awhile but original Teen Titans had like a shit ton of stupid comedic episodes, most of the serious stuff was saved for the end of the season, I mean here is just a sample of the comedic episode concepts...

-Starfire goes through puberty

-Cyborg gets a virus and eats everything in sight, Beast Boy goes inside of him

-Beast Boy battles evil Tofu

-The Teen Titans are mind controlled by a crazy granny

-Robin has to go out on a date by a girl with a moth for a dad

-Beast Boy is mistaken for the pet of a manchild alien, hijinks ensue.

-Every episode with Control Freak

-Every episode with Mad Mod

Most of the comedic episodes were one-offs, the entire series wasn't focused on them. Even the first episode took itself somewhat seriously after Robin disappeared. You're really gonna try and tell me the original Teen Titans was almost all comedy?

And surprise surprise, SA1 was the only one to get it right.

Flaws aside, I still enjoyed SA2 and Unleashed, so no, I disagree.

Even in those cases, the writing isn't anywhere near what I would consider a good television series, so I can't say I would be confident if the writing was like those games either.

Well then I can say I don't consider the likes of Colors good for television either, so we're kind of in the same boat.

Well then I can say I don't consider the likes of Colors good for television either, so we're kind of in the same boat.

How is Colors relevant? 

How is Colors relevant? 

We're talking about a comedy driven series, that's the only game with a mostly comedy driven direction; its literally the only reference we got atm.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

Most of the comedic episodes were one-offs, the entire series wasn't focused on them. Even the first episode took itself somewhat seriously after Robin disappeared. You're really gonna try and tell me the original Teen Titans was almost all comedy?

Im saying that it can have both, which is what im hoping from Sonic Boom.

Im saying that it can have both, which is what im hoping from Sonic Boom.

And it can just as easily not; that fact that it is advertising itself as a comedy already gives off certain implications. I never said the show is doomed from the start, I don't have enough info to say that yet, I'm saying that I don't have much confidence and that is ultimately contributing to my apathy.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

We're talking about a comedy driven series, that's the only game with a mostly comedy driven direction; its literally the only reference we got atm.

Lost World seems far more like something worth looking at so far, and the comedic overtone is still there. 

Lost World isnt out yet though, so for the moment we only have Colors to compare it to.

In both of your defenses, television series tend to have different writing standards than video games.

But still, a comedic direction is still off putting to me.

In the original rumor, the guy listed to be behind this did some work on Generator Rex, a show that makes me laugh even now, so I'll hold out hope.

Sonic Boom is a character-driven comedy that leaves a trail of robot wreckage in its smoldering wake. The series centers on Sonic, his best friend and sidekick, Tails, their never-ending search for adventure, and their battles with Sonic’s arch-nemesis, Dr. Eggman. Rounding out the ensemble are fan favorites Knuckles and Amy Rose, plus a rogue’s gallery of enemies—some familiar to Sonic fans and some brand-new.

Despite the crazy character redesigns, Sonic Boom is sounding like the closest a Sonic TV series has come to SEGA Sonic. No planet Mobius, no Robotnik, no Sonic X dimensional leaps with Chris Thorndyke. 

Despite the crazy character redesigns, Sonic Boom is sounding like the closest a Sonic TV series has come to SEGA Sonic. No planet Mobius, no Robotnik, no Sonic X dimensional leaps with Chris Thorndyke. 

But it does have Hulk Knuckles

• Thumbs Up 1

Since apparently people think this is going to be all comedy, all the time:

The action packed comedy series

action packed comedy series

action packed comedy series

Either I'm misinterpreting  what "action" means in this context, or people are choosing what to read and what not to read.
Edited by Dizcrybe
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Action-packed comedy" doesn't really prove that it's not all about comedy. Just that a lot of the comedy is based on action.

• Thumbs Up 1

We also have no reason to believe it'll be nothing but comedy for 11 straight minutes.

I am not particularly against comedy, but there was one thing Ididn't particularly enjoy about Sonic colors' humor.... It was mostly, like, potty jokes.And while potty jokes are funny in some places (like, it was perfect for Wreck-it-Ralph!) it just isn't Sonic enough for me. So, if the show isn't about Knuckles being stupid, having (too many) potty jokes, or stereotypes, then the humor may actually get my attention.  I honestly am a fan more of a slice of life type comedy (like, Sonic X was about everyday life for Sonic , it had some day to day/relationship humor as well as personality conflicts and such I really enjoyed , and I still await a season without Chris or the other "humans" who are not necessary)

I Hope the series "sonic boom" will not be like the regular show or adventure time. that is my hope anyways. I may be able to deal with Knuckles' design for that show only. but He cant be a stupid stereotype!

Sega, DO NOT MAKE THAT KNUCKLES' ACTUAL DESIGN .... KNUCKLES WILL GIVE YOU THIS:

Knuckles.jpg

Edited by knucklesgirl

Colors's humor may have been hit or miss, but I never seem to recall there ever being any potty humor in it besides maybe the "underwear worn by salad" but I'm not sure if that should really be considered "potty humor."

Calling it right now that this thread reaches 150 pages before we get to see the character designs proper.

Gotta admit the mock-ups are hilarious, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good news from the official Sonic Facebook page. When asked if the new designs would be in the games, or just for the show, SEGA replied:

This announcement concerns a new television animation for Sonic only. 

So it looks like the designs are nothing more than a unique style for this particular show. We won't have to worry about steroid-Knuckles invading the games, at least.

• Thumbs Up 8