Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Knuckles seems to be cursed - it's almost impossible for anyone outside of SOJ to draw him properly. This was an official artowrk done for a European magazine. He has looked worse...

knuxzv6.png

Yes, That work is simply awful! I need to post Knuckles artwork to help him go back to normal!

This, my friends, is the Knuckles I know!

Knuckles_the_Echidna.png

sa2_knuckles.png

KnucklesA.gif   NOW that is KNUCKLES!

• Thumbs Up 4

Knuckles seems to be cursed - it's almost impossible for anyone outside of SOJ to draw him properly. This was an official artowrk done for a European magazine. He has looked worse...

knuxzv6.png

Sorry, I've got to tell you that picture is edited. The original is this:

normalknucklessegaxs.jpg

Granted it's hardly any better, you've got to be fair. We also don't know how official that artwork is. It was never widely circulated (it remained completely unknown until a couple of years ago), and could very well have been drawn by the magazine staff.

Knuckles with fingers doesn't bother me simply for the fact that I've ALWAYS assumed he has fingers under those huge boxing gloves of his. And now that I look at the image closer, he doesn't look to be wearing gloves at all. Kind of a shame, but whatever. Hope he does end up wearing those gloves though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry, I've got to tell you that picture is edited. The original is this:

normalknucklessegaxs.jpg

Granted it's hardly any better, you've got to be fair. We also don't know how official that artwork is. It was never widely circulated (it remained completely unknown until a couple of years ago), and could very well have been drawn by the magazine staff.

That staff needs drawing lessons :).

Nice work! Really digging Knuckles design here, just the orange vests are pretty bleh, but I can see what you were going for!

Thanks!  I just have no idea what they could be and refused to actually put any effort into designing them.  They're life jackets for all I care.  

Also is it just me or is the sonic community probably one of the more artistically gifted fan bases out there?  

Edited by Radrappy
  • Thumbs Up 1

knuxzv6.png

wow_guys_i_cant_believe_it_by_darkacguy-

wow guys i can't believe it('s not butter)

• Thumbs Up 1

lzNJi0O.png

Guys.

Help.

tumblr_inline_mu2g6jXfRD1r0edd9.png

tumblr_inline_mu2g9sjdaQ1r0edd9.png

It's ok Tails...

Source

Let's not forget the original. 

tumblr_lsgqszqNiD1qabvdro1_500.jpg

I, for one, would love to see Big the Cat show up. Just to see how they'd make him look "hip and edgy". Like this, maybe?

Big_the_Badass_by_Dillo64.jpg

Thanks for making me lose my sh-t, guys.

• Thumbs Up 4

I took a crack at myself, but interpreted the shoulder bumps as some form of clothing.  So uh yeah,  Sanic rescue squad goooo!

ScreenShot2013-10-02at33933PM_zpsda36313

tumblr_inline_mu2j1unagd1r0edd9.png

This looks slightly more believable, this is how I seen them myself personally besides Amy having a frill skirt and Tails wearing a tool belt.

Hmm... Honestly, after seeing both of these designs, I'm gonna lighten up on the silhouette we saw in the original teaser. Knuckles and Amy both look kinda cool to be honest in the two images above. Seeing an actual image instead of a silhouette.

But please Sega, give him gloves. Please. Please...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm... Honestly, after seeing both of these designs, I'm gonna lighten up on the silhouette we saw in the original teaser. Knuckles and Amy both look kinda cool to be honest in the two images above. Seeing an actual image instead of a silhouette.

But please Sega, give him gloves. Please. Please...

And make him look a little less like Storm?

I've gone from being optimistic to pessimistic over this show in a span of just a few hours.

I guess it took time for me to sink in, but dear god, we've only got a silhouette and Knuckles looks fucking atrocious! The fact that he looks radically different from his game counterpart tells me this isn't the only liberty they'll be taking with the source material. I understand changing things around, but if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT! Sonic, Tails, and Amy all look fine, and while it looks like Sonic and maybe Tails may be wearing clothes, I'm completely fine with that. As long as they look suited to the series art style, I'm perfectly alright with that, knuckles rapeage aside.

I have a feeling this show can go either two ways: a successful reamagining of the games that still feels true to the spirit of Sonic, or a watered down series that falls flat on its face. Looking at the knuckles design alone, I'm going to go with the latter. Oh, and was Cartoon Network seriously the best they could find?

Edited by Chaos Incarnate
  • Thumbs Up 2

Point is that maybe, whatever the plot may be, it has characters that look like them or they are from an alternate universe or something. These changes are too out of left field and drastic for me to believe that this is the new look they are getting for the series. Especially when Iizuka is apparently making sure the series stays true to the current universe. They could be just doing what they did before they revealed the Deadly Six when all we had was their silhouettes and the tagline was whether they were friend or foe. Maybe they want to keep it a mystery and let the fans speculate. Or outrage in this case.

This is a really interesting take on it, I think. I'm really curious if this might actually be the plan... you THINK it's them, but it turns out there's something more to it...

Knuckles with fingers doesn't bother me simply for the fact that I've ALWAYS assumed he has fingers under those huge boxing gloves of his. And now that I look at the image closer, he doesn't look to be wearing gloves at all. Kind of a shame, but whatever. Hope he does end up wearing those gloves though.

Yeah, in full agreement here. It's a really minor detail and I've always believed he had fingers, it's just the way his gloves are. As you said, it's like boxing gloves and, lo and behold, punching is one of his specialties.

Now, fingered gloves on the other hand... I still don't particularly care about that either. To me it's such a minor detail of the character; when I think Knuckles I think emeralds, extinct species, a short temper, incredible strength, and of course, his namesakes.

Indeed, the new design is looking better and better.

My main grievance is... how well with the cooler designs translate into CGI? Let's pray they got some good renders to use.

(Just watch the models leak within two or three months)

Also is it just me or is the sonic community probably one of the more artistically gifted fan bases out there?  

Oh trust me, we're one of the best fandoms to make some good hearty fun out of the smallest things, humour is definitely one of our strong points haha.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh trust me, we're one of the best fandoms to make some good hearty fun out of the smallest things, humour is definitely one of our strong points haha.

Yea, we're at least aware of how much we suck.

tumblr_inline_mu2j1unagd1r0edd9.png   This looks slightly more believable, this is how I seen them myself personally besides Amy having a frill skirt and Tails wearing a tool belt.
See now this I could grow to kind of like. Knuckles especially doesn't look all that bad.

I've always been disappointed in the cartoons for one reason or another. SatAM & AoSth Tails was brown!! He's never been brown!?

So I never really cared it this thing was true or not, as long as it doesn't interfere with game canon. But still, Knuckles...oh...how I did vomit. It's also odd that it looks like "Sonic," "Tails" & "Amy" all appear to be wearing gloves, but why not knuckles?

I mean, I also always figured he had fingers. All the characters wear gloves for fudge sake. Plus Tikal had normal gloves/fingers and she is the same species. It-it does make me wonder if they dare try to change the anatomic perfection that is Dr Eggman. I shudder to even imagine...

500px-sonic-the-hedgehog-art-3.png

AAAAAAHHHHH!!

If Eggman looks like that in this too, then I'm officially done.

And while I still think Knuckles looks ridiculously roidified in this, it's kinda starting to grow on me after that pic Zeena made. I still am hoping Iizuka will wise up and suggest they just use the type of models Marza Animation Planet uses.

Edited by Straw Hat

I still don't know what's so bad about that Eggman design.

It gives people nightmares...

I still don't know what's so bad about that Eggman design.

because realistic proportions, ugly face and  ridiculous outfit with golden nipples. But while i dont like how 06 eggman looked in-game, i always liked his CGI render.

SonicNext_Eggman_Mustache_2006-04-04.jpg

They could have given Knuckles pointed ears and a cleft chin for all I care.  The fact that there's no Chris Thorndyke shadow in that picture makes me super hyped.

Edited by Stingray 64

I honestly had no expectations for "Sonic Boom" simply because the premise didn't appeal to me. The initial description just brought me back to everything I hated about the writing in Colors. The silhouettes...? I don't want to run for the "RUINED FOREVER" lever yet, since that's probably unfair. I'm not sure anything in the final reveal will make me like the Knuckles they're planning on using. I know he's the "tough guy" and Sonic Team has basically reduced him to "butt monkey" status (and, really, this shit started with Sonic Battle), so making him "big and tough" probably makes sense to somebody, but I think it's going too far in making the character nearly unrecognizable. I can forgive smaller changes, even clothing and other things that don't compromise the core character or their design, but this feels like a step in the wrong direciton. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not going to hold my breath that the final reveal will turn me around.

I'm kind of surprised Cartoon Network is involved, which tells me the show's likelihood for success just went down the tubes unless they are designing it to appeal to people who like Adventure Time and the rest of their awful original programming. I'll still check this out, out of some morbid curiosity, but I'm not expecting miracles like The Looney Tunes Show (and I had similarly low expectations for that and was totally surprised. It was arguably the last good program CN had... but then it got canned because apparently Uncle Grandpa is where it's at, people).

EDIT: But, you know, as long as these designs are exclusive to this TV series, I don't really care. It still surprises me, given how protective SEGA has been with their flagship these days, that they'd let Genao (I believe they're the animation studio?) try something so risky and different. In some ways, I want to say "Good for them for experimenting and doing something unique," but part of me is also thinking "But why go that route?" There's a lot of interesting things they can do with the Sonic property and world, that wildly altering an important cast member's design was one of the things that didn't need to be done. This isn't like when people complained about Sally wearing pants in Archie (I still don't understand those complaints, honestly...) to me. This may as well be a new character, honestly.

Edited by Zaysho

nydn.png

Honestly Amy changes outfits so often outside the main games she's prolly the least offensive to get new threads.  I'm really curious what they came up with.

Dat dress though...........

Edited by jordine
  • Thumbs Up 1