Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

Going with F is kind of the nail in the coffin for people claiming this game isn't basically Mega Man. But then again just going off on that I don't mind.

E was my overall favorite in terms of design but F looks quite appealing as well in the current art style so I hope she sticks. I'm mostly pleased with the results. It's also one of few designs that would probably animate well in a playable space as she is supposed to be playable.

That's just it though.. it is Mega Man. If there are people claiming that this game isn't Mega Man or any sort of spiritual successor to the franchise.. they're really, really blind.

Just like Mega Man went through transitions between the original, X and Zero - or the more unique Legends and Battle Network - Mighty No.9 will follow a similar path relative to the games. Inafune and his team are very creative as we've seen, but the source material is always very clear.

Yeah, Call's F design resembles Roll in some of the games; the other two designs resemble characters from Mega Man or other media as well. So who gives a shit?

If I'd backed the game, this would really disappoint me. The last thing I'd want is to put my money towards a project, get given a choice and then be told I was outvoted.

I'd be a little frightened if I'd backed the game and they didn't put any of their designs up to vote. You'd have thrown your money into a pot in support of a game but you're not promised any significant contributions into the game development cycle. Expecting anything more is just folly.

• Thumbs Up 2

Going with F is kind of the nail in the coffin for people claiming this game isn't basically Mega Man. But then again just going off on that I don't mind.

E was my overall favorite in terms of design but F looks quite appealing as well in the current art style so I hope she sticks. I'm mostly pleased with the results. It's also one of few designs that would probably animate well in a playable space as she is supposed to be playable.

Even without F being picked a good majority of the people still say that this is megaman either way.

Also, even if you guys don't like the fact that it looks like roll, you can't really say that its a pretty good design (and overall pretty cute one too) but yeah im glad that F won but like everyone else has said I hope E (and at some point maybe H too) gets used somewhere in the game.

If I'd backed the game, this would really disappoint me. The last thing I'd want is to put my money towards a project, get given a choice and then be told I was outvoted.

That's kinda the thing though. If you offer a choice, you gotta accept that people won't all pick the same option. People are different. They pick different things.

As someone who supported E, I am a tad disappointed, but the people got what they asked for and I have to live with it. If my opponent check mates me, I can't just tip the board and proclaim chess to be stupid. It's unfair to the person across from me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I voted for E so I've gotta say I'm pretty disappointed. I don't like F's design (I've never played a Mega Man game so it's not due to that) as I find it too weird, the eyes creep me out a lot and I doubt the bow will even be shown as it is in the concept art.

It's not like everyone could have the design they liked best. Either they put it to a vote, or they just decide it internally.
(Also in response to everyone else saying similar) That's pretty much the reason I'm very often against fan votes for such things, especially when they're as major as character designs. At least one party will find themselves disappointed, where such disappointment likely wouldn't have existed if the vote was internal and fans weren't aware of the possibilities. Still, it's just me thinking out aloud, saying I'm glad I didn't put money to something that didn't turn out the way I wanted. I'm not saying that anyone else should feel the same way or that it's unfair. I do know how voting works.

F won? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Honestly she doesn't look much like Roll to me and I found her design the most fitting to be Beck's companion throughout the game. 

I think she was the only one developed within Comcept so that would make sense. 

I think F was bound to win no matter what. She was the only one made within Comcept, she was always the one used in promotional stuff, and they made a little figurine of her. I think they were betting on F winning and they were right.

Damn it, I really loved E. The other two don't pop out to me with character and attitude nearly as much as E did, so I was really hoping that one would win. Plus I was in love D:.

I guess I'm glad it went with the lesser of two evils so to say, but I still just find her bland in comparison to flight attendant waifu. I'm really surprised at how close the two were in the polls though, so I hope they find a way to maybe make a middle ground some how, buuut a winner is a winner so I'll stop belly aching XD.

Just a note, F wasn't drawn by the Zero/ZX artist - that would be Toru Nakayama, who left Inti Creates to go freelance years ago (though he still did the ZX art), he's been around, some of his more recent projects include working on a doujin fighting game and Dream of Mirror Online. And a lot of fanart of Kamen Rider and Gekiranger, among others (including Cutey Honey, Evangelion, Medabots (I think) and The Dark Knight, of all things). I love his art style, it's very distinct and detailed, especially with his machines. He can do cute and adorable just as easily as he can do badass and manly, though he does have a slight problem with male characters coming off as bishounen if they're not blatantly masculine (this is not a problem for Zero, whose facial expressions scream manly to the point where it pretty much overrides and femininity in the rest of his design), which isn't exactly a problem in my view, though I know others aren't so comfortable with it. Still, the guy's art is amazing, and I really wish he could get more/better work outside of the Mega Man series.

• 3 weeks later...

We've known it was going to be 3D for a while now,

Looks better than I thought it would though. Would still prefer the hand-drawn style though.

• Thumbs Up 3

For an alpha build on the Unreal Engine, I'd say it looks pretty great.

Sure, hand-drawn 2D looks great, but then you'd have to get into the conundrum of animation - traditional animation is time consuming to animate and can be a serious RAM guzzer, especially when working with HD images and lots of frames. It's why many studios making 2D games use motion tweening instead for most animations, which is much easier to animate and much more efficient processing-wise. And that style isn't necessarily worse, either - I've seen examples of such animation that look absolutely phenomenal, especially when carefully combined with other types of animation techniques.

Edit: Oh, additional benefits of using tweening - since the animations are made of 'parts', they can be swapped out for character customization or for reusing animations for entirely new characters. IK can also be used to enable stuff like natural 360 degree aiming (Mark of the Ninja has guards who will hold onto rifles with both hands and naturally aim in any direction they need to, naturally leaning forward or back to accommodate). I wonder if Inti Creates actually considered doing 2D tweening, or if 3D was the intent from the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 5

The second image looks like some kind of voxelized dash or dash attack.

Mega Man X influence confirmed?

• Thumbs Up 1

If you ask me, the more inspiration it takes from Megaman X, the better. For me, X was the pinnacle of sidescrolling Megaman.

Sad that "E" didn't make the "Call," though. I'm "Mighty" disappointed, but I suppose I'm not quite angry enough to "DBeck" anyone. 

You will not get a single apology for any of that.

• Thumbs Up 9

If you ask me, the more inspiration it takes from Megaman X, the better. For me, X was the pinnacle of sidescrolling Megaman.

Pretty much. If they do that stupid screen switching thing the classics kept doing I'm gonna be pretty pissed.

• Thumbs Up 1