Awoo.

Sonic Lost World in PAX Prime 2013

Zavok the SpinningSilver

I'm certain, but thinking on it maybe kicking or bounce attacking might open them. I saw the video too so I thought I was just supposed to jump at the flowers and was dying as they would not open up and just jumping on them when they're closed hurts you.

Hmm, since you're considering you should've bounced on them, can you recall ever double jumping on the flowers before they open? Maybe Sonic's uncurled state is what led you to get hurt?

I love how even though this game is a lot slower than Unleashed and Generations the grinding in this game looks significantly faster-paced than in those games, if only because they packed more obstacles in as opposed to "hold X for ten seconds, jump, hold X for five seconds, switch rail, jump into hoop".

I suppose it's also helped by the fact that there aren't grinding sections in every single level this time as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, since you're considering you should've bounced on them, can you recall ever double jumping on the flowers before they open? Maybe Sonic's uncurled state is what led you to get hurt?
Possibly, I'll mess around with that level a bit more later today.

I love how even though this game is a lot slower than Unleashed and Generations the grinding in this game looks significantly faster-paced than in those games, if only because they packed more obstacles in as opposed to "hold X for ten seconds, jump, hold X for five seconds, switch rail, jump into hoop". I suppose it's also helped by the fact that there aren't grinding sections in every single level this time as well.
One correction, while the game is technically slower than boosting I would argue that the game gets much faster than non-boost gameplay. And I like the rails in Silent Forest too, for the same reasons as you mentioned but also it actually takes skill to switch rails in this game as you have to jump and land on them manually ala' Adventure 2 rather than switching between them freely, which I prefer and helps make the sections a lot more interactable. I think I might of enjoyed the rail section more in a full game than just the demo though, as I was figuring rail mechanics as I was having to dodge things and maybe enjoyed it less because of that.

I dunno if anyone has posted this yet, but here is something I have found: another preview.

http://www.savecontinue.com/2013/09/pax-prime-13-quick-look-sonic-lost-world/

“Going fast” has always been a staple of Sonic games, as has “hold right to win” pertaining to the 2D versions which focused more on both versus the path memorization that the first games required. After Sonic transitioned to 3D, there was a great deal of oscillation the Blue Blur experienced, with the “Sonic Cycle” taking full effect until recently with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations.

Sonic: Lost World is a pleasant fusion of both old and new ideas, seeing a reduction in the well-known speed in favor of fantastic platforming that marries the pleasant ideas of Super Mario Galaxy and Sonic’s move arsenal.

Saying Lost World is similar to Mario’s 3D adventures on the Wii is both a service and a disservice to the speedster’s legacy. Having always been nothing short of rivals for years, seeing Sonic succumb to yet another idea that our famous plumber did first seems to be a blow. However, instead of the familiar circular worlds, Sonic’s latest venture opts instead for cylindrical areas of space, constantly rotating and offering new paths to take as they turn (or as you run to their other side).

As mentioned, Sonic’s speed is lessened to offer a greater chance to explore, but you actually do have the option to speed Sonic up by holding down a button and he’ll run at a greater pace. Faster still, you can spin dash for even quicker movement once you’ve memorized a path to jet through, as Lost World is focused on pathfinding. The homing attack is back and better than ever as it’s far less of an attack and more rooted as a navigational maneuver that allows you to explore higher areas all while bonking baddies into submission.

Outside of that, the game looks gorgeous, with vibrant colors populating each area Sonic ventures to. Even on the 3DS, Lost World oozes the same style that its console brother provides, so either way you play, you’re getting an excellent Sonic experience. And it handles great on both consoles, not bogged down with what could have been clumsy controls—very responsive and easy to understand.

Sonic fans won’t want to miss this.

Edited by Flamerstreak
  • Thumbs Up 4

Some more PAX footage. Not really all that interesting tbh, but I figured I may as well post it

I like the bit in the first one where the guy spindashes off the ledge. It really does sacrifice control for speed. Not that I really needed confirmation but it's nice to know all the same

(although this did make me realise that actually, the 3DS doesn't do this - it just turns)

• Thumbs Up 1

Enter Jim Sterling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boVQlJBI2ns

Can't be bothered to watch?

Controls are tight.

It was... mmmm... fun....

One to be interested in, not to get hyped over.

• Thumbs Up 3

Preview sounds really positive! He even used the word intuitive at one point, and this is Jim. So controls were tight, the graphics look good and he's waiting to play the game for a final verdict - which seems all fair to me. 

Edited by Symbotic
  • Thumbs Up 2

So he liked it? That's good, I was expecting him to hate it after Colours. Considering how much trouble he had with Colours' controls these impressions are pretty good

Sonic works more like a racing game thus pleasing Jim Sterling! If only I could be there to see his reaction when he plays the snowball level.

Sonic works more like a racing game thus pleasing Jim Sterling! If only I could be there to see his reaction when he plays the snowball level.

Unless he was referring to the mach speed sections in SLoW, I really don't get this.

The Unleashed era of games were almost-entirely on-rails, and had Sonic more or less operating like a car, complete with drift and "nitro" (boost) functions, whereas Lost World more or less gets rid of all of that entirely and is taking a more platformer-centric approach.

Or did I miss something here?

Stumbled across this video just now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihgl5H0v4go

Barring the one death and the occasional mistake, the gameplay is very solid and does an excellent job at demonstrating the flow that the game has (particularly during the 2D section).  That ledge hop is a really great addition for deftly getting up those small platforms and helping to quickly right small mistakes that you make.  Honestly the way that the movement was overall reminded me quite a bit of classic Sonic despite there not being a focus on momentum based gameplay.  Just the way Sonic transitioned between his various manoeuvres looked very fluid and natural and it made the level look like a lot of fun.

Only gripe is with the Indigo Wisp, less with how it functions (though it looks like the controls could do with being more sensitive, he was doing quite large motions but there wasn't much movement) but more with how it conveys its controls and how little time it lasts.  It told the player how to tilt left and right, but not how to jump which is just as important, and considering that movement is done via gyro control, the player made the fairly reasonable assumption that jumping was also done via gyro control (hence why he flicked the Gamepad up to try to jump).  But by the time the player probably realised that jumping is just done via button (I assume), the Indigo Wisp had already run out.  Hopefully this is ironed out and communicated better in the final build.

Though honestly, with each good piece of gameplay I see the more anxious it makes me for a demo.  Really hope one gets released on the eShop soon.

• Thumbs Up 3

That was a fantastic display of player skill...obviously that guy has played Sonic games in the past and knows how to easily adapt to a new control set.

Huh. I never knew that Sonic Lost World won an IGN People's Choice Award...or was it just nominated. I can't see it properly.

Where did it say that it got a People's Choice award?

I wouldn't get too excited about that. Those awards are handed out like candy, well the nominations are which it probably is, and usually theres about 20 games per category, so, more or less the whole showfloor gets nominated. Frankly it'd be more noteworthy if there was nothing there at all.

The Jim Sterling one?

This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihgl5H0v4go&feature=player_embedded

Do you even see SiLeNtDoOm 2nd to last post?

Unless he was referring to the mach speed sections in SLoW, I really don't get this.

The Unleashed era of games were almost-entirely on-rails, and had Sonic more or less operating like a car, complete with drift and "nitro" (boost) functions, whereas Lost World more or less gets rid of all of that entirely and is taking a more platformer-centric approach.

Or did I miss something here?

IIRC it might have been more about mapping Sonics speed controls to the triggers in place of a button on the game controller. And that this games speed mechanics don't propel Sonic to such speeds instantly. Again I could be wrong.

Edited by Balding Spider

This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihgl5H0v4go&feature=player_embedded

Do you even see SiLeNtDoOm 2nd to last post?

I'll check it out then. Thanks!

And I saw it. I just wasn't so sure by that time.

Edited by Flamerstreak