Awoo.

Sonic Lost World in PAX Prime 2013

Zavok the SpinningSilver

We just can't get enough of the Boost Trilogy! <3

He never mentioned the boost trilogy. He never even mentioned what Sonic games he played or what he was comparing it too.

When the boost was first introduced, I can't remember this ever being brought up as a potential problem. One instance which I've commented on, people at Retro have also commented on it, and a few people have who have played it have also mentioned. Sonic moves too slow for one thing. Even when running it doesn't feel like Sonic is the fastest thing alive anymore.

You can't just brush these criticisms of it 'not feeling like a past game' aside, because it's important when it comes to in service/recognition to the brand. People buy the game with a minset of 'it's gonna be like this' won't return for the next installment if you change their expectations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, I have a pretty cool Sonic Lost World Lanyard. I also have 2 Nintendo ones, two Behemoth ones (one Blue, one White/Silver) and a Sonic CD one from a previous year of PAX (I am not getting rid of that one).

And the 3DS doesn't hurt my eyes personally, I just felt the level design was better in the WIi U version so far. Like in the Desert Ruins level, they have this part where you platform up a wall slowly and dodge those damn purple worm things, which can be done quicker with Indigo Asteroid, but once you run out, then it just becomes a sequence of using parkour and jumping over and over again. I just felt there were too many platforms/the wall was too high. Not that I mind using parkour more, but if it's to do the same thing over and over again, it seems tedious, especially when it's preventing me from progressing through a stage.

Personally I'm curious if SEGA America has more than one Sonic suit or not. If not, I'm assuming a hilarious scene of Sonic leaving Expo 2013 on Wednesday, the suit being given to a SEGA employee, and then they had to fly into Seattle to deliver it for PAX.

Yep, I have a pretty cool Sonic Lost World Lanyard.

Sonic swag at this event?

Screw Expo, I'm going to PAX next year! I need an excuse to see Seattle anywho.

And the 3DS doesn't hurt my eyes personally, I just felt the level design was better in the WIi U version so far.

I can never get the 3DS to position in just the right way characters don't have the 3D aura around them. In all honesty I'd have much preferred a version that had 3D glasses to do the effect for you.

Either way it's good to hear the Wii U version is shaping up to sound like the better one, so I don't regret my Wii U purchase, definitely.

You could always get a 2DS/have the 3D slider set to off if you don't like the 3D of the 3DS. I do hear the 3D is better on the XL, though. I couldn't judge well since, at the angle the 3DS systems were tethered, the 3D didn't seem to look right. The viewing angle for the 3D is kind of annoying, I will admit.

Also, for me, speed wise, this game felt like SA2 to me, and since I've been playing that lately, it's not so jarring an adjustment to get used to for me. I personally felt that Generations/Unleashed/to a lesser extent Colors were another extreme. I consider 06 (at least playing as Silver, Amy, and personally Shadow and Sonic most of the time) and Labyrinth (for obvious reasons) to be too slow for me, and the Boost trilogy to be a bit too fast, really. I mean, I got used to the speed for the most part, but I think they're trying to go for pick-up-and-play (which Colors did better, since you couldn't boost all the time, as it was handled better IMO).

Although I will say that the combination of all the changes/additions makes it kind of a contradiction. The speed tiers, parkour, the new homing kick/stun kick, it's all stuff you basically already have to know how to use to use right. They do have a "Controls" thing on display, but I doubt everyone's going to read that. In terms of mechanics, this is more complicated to get used to, clearly. But gameplay-wise it does feel a lot more controllable at both slow and fast speeds. Though many would complain that there's not a big enough difference between the three speeds (Walking, Running/Parkour and Spindash/Peel-Out), as a compromise.

Edited by Shade Vortex
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Wii U version is the better version de facto; that's the version Sonic Team is putting more into as far as that being the first, new main series title after Generations.

With that said, I'm not going to count its 3DS counterpart out. On its own, it's it looks like Dimps is putting more effort into a handheld Sonic title than they haven't in a while. Yeah, there's some nooks and crannies found in that version that I too am not too peachy on (that specific Desert Ruins level Shade mentioned). Compared to its big brethren of course it's the inferior version. Other than that, I'm liking what the 3DS version is showing us.

He never even mentioned what Sonic games he played or what he was comparing it too.

...He said he had hopes after Sonic Generations though.

• Thumbs Up 7

If you don't already know about the run button, it looks like it will cause you problems. Primarily because Sonic looks frustratingly slow when running, and because the parkour won't work unless you're running.

Also, the magnetic camera does look disorientating.

Well the 3DS version's problems don't surprise me. The handheld version is always the inferior version in some way.

Edited by Wil348

Well the 3DS version's problems don't surprise me. The handheld version is always the inferior version in some way.

And yet we're told to buy both so as to get some sort of secret bonus...

I'm really looking forward to launch date specifically to see exactly what the bonus is.

Never mind it'll leak over the internet anyway so people will be able to decide in retrospect if they want both versions.

Another Lost World Preview.

Another person saying it's a hard game to get into and theres problems with the controls. Only this time it's on the 3DS version.

http://thegamefanatics.com/2013/08/31/pax-prime-quick-look-sonic-lost-world/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"This concept is amazing, mind you, but sadly I found myself running into walls and being more frustrated. I want to make Sonic run. I didn’t want to worry about jumping or running fast only to run face first into a wall."

Guess she doesn't want to have to worry about jumping or obstacles.  

Also, give it a rest Hogfather.  You hate it, we get it.  

Edited by Radrappy

I keep checking YouTube in the hopes of somebody posting some footage ):

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

"This concept is amazing, mind you, but sadly I found myself running into walls and being more frustrated. I want to make Sonic run. I didn’t want to worry about jumping or running fast only to run face first into a wall."

Guess she doesn't want to have to worry about jumping or obstacles.  

Also, give it a rest Hogfather.  You hate it, we get it.  

There's no need for this is there? Get a grip.

• Thumbs Up 3

Negative previews are more important than positive ones. Especially to a developer looking to polish the game up before launch.

• Thumbs Up 2

Negative previews are more important than positive ones. Especially to a developer looking to polish the game up before launch.

That doesn't mean we should ignore all the positive reviews and start worrying over the negative one though. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Aye, one can only improve through constructive criticism.

Aye, one can only improve through constructive criticism.

Yes, but like the user above just said, we still cannot overlook even the positive one's. So i don't believe negative reviews are more important than positive reviews (heck even positive reviews aren't allergic to criticism either), both can go hand to hand. 

Edited by Narukami07

Oh how typcal. Yeah I get it, Lost World has become one of 'those games' that this forum now has which we're not allowed to criticise anymore or that whenever someone does criticise regardless as to what they say everything gets ignored in favour of the excuses or finding something to belittle what was said in order to build the game up to something which is not, or to somehow bring the criticisms to a state where 'they must be wrong because of this.'

I've played this game and I didn't like it, and I didn't like it for the reasons specified in my preview. People were saying VERY similar things before I wrote that and in following previews people have been saying similar things again.

But nooooo. Why should we pay attention to what people keep saying or keep bringing up as problems from when they actually played the game? Even if their preview is positive or mixed, we're just ignoring the same complaints being brought up, but they must be wrong. It's not like those people who have played the game have actually played the game... . .. . oh.

That's not at it at all.  I read your preview, it was insightful and while I disagreed with almost everything in it, I appreciated it.  But there's no point in bringing up your complaints at every turn.  At this point in the game, spamming negative previews really doesn't achieve anything.  The game is coming out in about two months which means it's pretty much done or being finalized right now.  Criticisms won't do a lick of good anymore.  All you're doing is bringing down people who are exited/hopeful.

Once the game comes out, feel free to pick up a copy and blast it to your heart's content.  As it is now though, all you're doing is giving this place a bad atmosphere.   

Edited by Radrappy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Once the game comes out, feel free to pick up a copy and blast it to your heart's content.  As it is now though, all you're doing is giving this place a bad atmosphere.   

Now, excuse me If I pop out of the blue like this but...The guy is just speaking his mind about the game. He's not offending anyone, let alone trying to "give this place a bad atmosphere". This is a message board, as long as we are respectful to each other opinions are accepted, right?

• Thumbs Up 9

All you're doing is bringing down people who are exited/hopeful

Are you seriously saying, that people shouldn't post previews of the game unless it's nothing but positives because those who are excited might get offended?

spamming negative previews really doesn't achieve anything

Except for informing the consumer as to what they'll get/expect for their pound/dollar/Euro/groats.

• Thumbs Up 2