Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Also you have to remember, In Smash Bros. these aren't the same characters as their video-game counterparts. They're trophies/dolls of the real ones. It's also this excuse that lets them beat the shit out of each other without any remorse.

(looking too deep into smashhhhhhh)

That doesn't mean they shouldn't retain their personalities. In fact some characters still have theirs, like Captain Falcon, Kirby and even Peach. Bowser is just a blank slate.

• Thumbs Up 1

More Bowser dialogue would be fantastic. That was one of my favorite parts of BIS. Finally getting to actually hear his magnificently egotistical personality come to life in growly, imposing monster speech was too cool for words.

Edited by CC14 the Wondercolt

Snake is probably a great example. Sure he's a trophy(right?), but he still retains his personality from his games.

I'm not saying Bowser shouldn't have any personality, I'm just giving off an excuse as to why they didn't give him one.

Personally, I don't really like Bowser's incarnation from the Mario & Luigi series. He's trying to come off as this badass guy full of awesomeness with a short temper, but most of it just felt too forced for me. If they gave Bowser a personality, I'd much rather it be from the Paper Mario series. Although he fell behind most of the time, he was always prepared for anything and his humor came from small touches like randomly saying "Yeah, I know I'm awesome. But this ain't about me right now." where as in M&L he's usually more "I'M THE KING OF AWESOMENESS! RRAWWRRRRRRRRR!"

But hey if you like his M&L personality, more power to you.

Although If they were to put something from the RPGs/Main games in as some taunts, it would probably have to be from one of the Mario & Luigi games. Outside of them he doesn't really do that many gestures or any of that jazz.

AlphaOmegaSin share his thoughts on the lack of the story mode.

Super Smash Bros Creator Ditches Story Mode Because Clips Were Watched Online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py8NeZe1BNM

That's right, no story.....no cutscenes, nothing to move the plot along. Neither the 3DS or the Wii U will have any sort of story. So basically say goodbye to the Subspace Emissary. Damn shame....
http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smas...

AlphaOmegaSin share his thoughts on the lack of the story mode.

Super Smash Bros Creator Ditches Story Mode Because Clips Were Watched Online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py8NeZe1BNM

I'd like to point out here that just because he said that there would be no story mode doesn't mean that there won't be any sort of cutscenes. Hell, it might not even mean that we're not getting a big single player mode, just something not like SSE. 

"Nothing to move the plot along"

What plot? You mean the shallow one that happened for no substantial reason beyond "just because" that ended when Tabuu was defeated?

Smash Bros doesn't need a fucking plot. It's fucking Smash Bros.

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't really care about a lack of story mode given how mediocre and horribly paced Subspace Emissary was. It's not like the story was anything more than bare bones either.

I didn't really have much fun at all with it until the second time through when you could pick whatever characters you wanted and even then it was a complete fucking mess.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

The levels where you got to fight classic Nintendo enemies were pretty fun though.  Both of them!

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm kinda suprised actually so many people seem to make a deal out of the whole Cutscene thing, since I was always under the impression that Smash Bros is a "Play the Game, Skip the Story" type of game for most people.

Personally, SSE's Gameplay and pacing could've been much, much better, but I liked the Cutscenes in it. However I'm not too bugged over them being gone, aside the fact that I had Hoped that Sakurai would add some Kid Icarus styled writing into it (at least for the characters that do talk, what few there are).

on the Flipside, the Kid Icarus stages are bound to have some secret Pit and Palutena banter anyway, so there is that.

• Thumbs Up 3

The levels where you got to fight classic Nintendo enemies were pretty fun though.  Both of them!

The lack of Re-deads was severely disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The boss fights were the only cool thing about SSE, and it's not like they can't have those in Smash 4.

I'd really just be fine with a souped up "Adventure Mode" similar to Melee's. Just add more levels and secret paths and I'm happy.

Yeah, I imagine they'll keep the more interesting parts of the SSE, such as bosses, which were pretty fun.

As for Bowser, considering they greatly lightened his colour palette and changed his idle stance, I think there might be a chance that they're moving away from the "mindless beast" thing.

I'd really just be fine with a souped up "Adventure Mode" similar to Melee's. Just add more levels and secret paths and I'm happy.

This, as long as it comes with an easy way to unlock all characters like Brawl's SSE provided.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like the boss fights to come back, but have something similar to Melee's adventure mode.

Image of the day.

ibb9ud.jpg

...I'm actually not sure what's supposed to be happening here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Coolest back rub ever.

Either Wii Fit Trainer's up-throw, or maybe they gave DK a new backwards jump?

As for Bowser, considering they greatly lightened his colour palette and changed his idle stance, I think there might be a chance that they're moving away from the "mindless beast" thing.

I know next to nothing about Mario's lore, but as I recall he actually does have some clever plans, doesn't he?

Ergo the change is actually appropriate.

Image of the day.

...I'm actually not sure what's supposed to be happening here.

Looks like a Dragon Ball Z-esque attack. Throw the enemy in the air, hit them with a few fingers in the back. Cause ENORMOUS pain as a result, if not killing them outright.

Looks like a Dragon Ball Z-esque attack.

Actually...

29mw0af.jpg

it does kinda look like that.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'd really like some actual platforming.  This is why I think Adventure mode with some levels tailored to each characters' movements would be awesome.  Naturally some levels could be shared with minor tweaks between characters with similar movements but yeah.

One of my fave things to do as a kid was to play through Adventure Mode on Melee without ever jumping THROUGH thin platforms.  It actually made it way more interesting to play as a platformer.

• Thumbs Up 1

if excluding a story mode and cutscenes means we get the game faster than I'm down for that. No matter how much you think you will like a new story mode or liked SSE, how often did u honestly ever go back to it? I only played it once as a way to unlock everyone and never gave it a second thought. I play smash for the multiplayer versus aspect of the game.

I played the SSE once an then never again.

I'd much rather the space be devoted to something I'm not going to play once at launch and then never going to revisit again.

Put me in the group who doesn't mind that they're axing the Story Mode completely. I rather we get something simple like Melee's Adventure Mode, as nearly everyone mentioned, than Brawl's ridiculously boring Story Mode.

One of my fave things to do as a kid was to play through Adventure Mode on Melee without ever jumping THROUGH thin platforms.  It actually made it way more interesting to play as a platformer.

Haha, I actually attempted the same thing as well.

I simply could not get through the Adventure Mode with a few of the characters while doing that challenge. xD

Edited by canderson
  • Thumbs Up 1