Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Even if pacman gets in it, what moves would he have aside from eating and generic punch combos? I can't see him as much of a character for a fighter.

Pretty sure they could find a way. Pac-Man was in Street Fighter x Tekken for Godsake.

Even if pacman gets in it, what moves would he have aside from eating and generic punch combos? I can't see him as much of a character for a fighter.

^^^ Good point.

I don't wanna be that guy for the billionth time but come on this is Smash Bros this is the first time Fox or Captain Falcon left their ships, they even stole attack magic from other characters for Ness and Zelda's movesets, they gave Captain Olimar kicks and air manoeuvrability, they made an entire moveset for that black blob from the Game & Watch games and a toy robot peripheral for the NES, and now an innocent villager and a fitness trainer who've never left the realms of the quaint in their entire lives have full fighting movesets. Preeetty sure they could make a moveset for a character who's been in multiple 3D adventure games and cartoons before.

Sakurai literally went on record to say he prefers charaters without fighting experience.

Honest to god the next time someone says a character shouldn't be in Smash because they're not a fighter my response will be even bigger I'm warning you all.

(also darn Ninjashark literally just beat me)

• Thumbs Up 3

I personally don't want to see Pacman in Smash Bros. The only reason I can see why he'd be in for a good reason is the Mario Kart x Pacman Arcade series.

edit: for my fanboy part, i'd love to see KLONOA.

edit 2: pacman is on klonoa's hat. problem solved

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 5

Well that screenshot sucked. At least the detail in Samus's suit looks nice.

I personally don't want to see Pacman in Smash Bros. The only reason I can see why he'd be in for a good reason is the Mario Kart x Pacman Arcade series.

edit: for my fanboy part, i'd love to see KLONOA.

edit 2: pacman is on klonoa's hat. problem solved

I want Pac-man because he's a fun video game character that has had a couple of games on Nintendo platforms and could fit in well as a Third Party Character. There's also the fact with Namco co-developing, that he seems to be the most logical TPC, especially with Namco trying to make Pac-Man relevant again in the media.

Plus if that leaked list had any credit, then Pac-man along with Mii and Little Mac are all but confirmed yet.

Anyways, Pic of the day!

It's a um...what?

CVmPA2e.jpg

Sakurai's comment  "This island looks familiar!"

My first ignorant response was "Super Mario Kart stage!?" but uh yeah, Pilot-Wings SNES.

So yeah.....Pilot-Wings SNES stage. Cool.

I also hate to be that guy, but even though it was E3, Wii Fit Trainer got shown off on June 11th, Olimar got shown off July 12th..

Expecting new character update either later this week or early next week.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2

Reaaaaaally struggling to find something to be impressed about here. I'll be pretty mad if Sakurai just slapped a 2D Pilotwings map onto a "touring platforms" stage and left it at that.

Fully expecting a twist on this to be revealed next snapshot.

I really like how simple this stage looks. I'm guessing it's supposed to be like Mario Bros. and 75m from Brawl, same retro look, just with some updated textures.

It also appears that this may only be the background of the stage. We have yet to see the actual arena itself. My guess is that the battle will take place either on a plane, or a series of planes (something like Big Blue from Melee, just not as extreme).

Edited by wOrm

Now thats a welcome change! last pic was boring as heck. This seems to be a new stage!!! Pilot wings!! hopefully w0rm is right and well get planes as the platforms themselves. Should be fun!!! although why put pilotwings on wii U? well... whatever. I hope this stage is awesome.

I really like how simple this stage looks. I'm guessing it's supposed to be like Mario Bros. and 75m from Brawl, same retro look, just with some updated textures.

It also appears that this may only be the background of the stage. We have yet to see the actual arena itself. My guess is that the battle will take place either on a plane, or a series of planes (something like Big Blue from Melee, just not as extreme).

Maybe it will be like the one Melee stage "Kanto Skies: Poké Floats".

Different planes big or small.. Just like Poké Floats with planes. ^^

• Thumbs Up 1

although why put pilotwings on wii U? well... whatever. I hope this stage is awesome.

The stage is likely on Wii U because Pilot-Wings was originally a home console game, as that seems to be the trend with what version each stage gets put into so far.

I'm still hoping for a Mahu Wahu stage, but with pilot Wings getting a stage, I'm finding that less likely(since that stage had Pilot Wings representation).

Wuhu Island could be on either console, really, considering that it was in both Pilotwings Resort and MK7 on the 3DS. Really I'd be fine if the 3DS version gets the island as long as the Wii U version gets Nintendoland as a stage, with each of those being the "Mii" stages of the respective games

• Thumbs Up 1

A new 3DS stage outta be coming along soon too, through I rather see more screenshots of the Reset Bomb stage.

Ah, dude, Pilowings. Awesome

Nice to see some reference made to it in Smash at last, I was wondering why they dropped the ball with that in Brawl. But giving it the Smashville treatment definitely makes up for it.

I've been thinking.....since Pikmin 3 uses new protagonists yet Olimar is still in the game, is it possible that Marth AND Ike will stay? With Olimar being it it seems more likely now. If so, I'd would not like that since Ike was current in FE at the time of Brawl (correct me if I'm wrong FE fans), it would make sense to replace him with Chrom or the avatar character or something. Marth should stay since he's from the first FE game, therefore the original FE lord. 

I've been thinking.....since Pikmin 3 uses new protagonists yet Olimar is still in the game, is it possible that Marth AND Ike will stay? With Olimar being it it seems more likely now. If so, I'd would not like that since Ike was current in FE at the time of Brawl (correct me if I'm wrong FE fans), it would make sense to replace him with Chrom or the avatar character or something. Marth should stay since he's from the first FE game, therefore the original FE lord. 

Why not have Ike, Marth AND Chrom? Yeah, he'd be another blue-haired sword lord, but they could make new moves based on his animations and whatnot. Not to mention as a Great Lord, Chrom can use lances as well. 

Marth and Ike both offer different things to Smash, and I'm sure Chrom could too. Same goes for Lucina, actually.

Why not have Ike, Marth AND Chrom? Yeah, he'd be another blue-haired sword lord, but they could make new moves based on his animations and whatnot. Not to mention as a Great Lord, Chrom can use lances as well. 

Marth and Ike both offer different things to Smash, and I'm sure Chrom could too. Same goes for Lucina, actually.

Because that would clog up too many spots for characters from other franchises? That third spot could go to another character.

Edited by Chaos Warp

While Olimar is not the playable character in Pikmin 3, he's still relevant in that game - one of the underlying plots in P3 is figuring out what happened to him. As such, he's a universal face in the series.

Compare to Ike, who had to share top billing as well in his sequel, but got a single mention in the next new FE that wasn't DLC, and even that mention was just a Spotpass. Ike has nowhere near as much presence in FE as Olimar does in Pikmin.

Edited by Joshua

Olimar still has a sorta key role in Pikmin 3's story and is playable in the versus mode. So he was still relevent.

As for FE reps, it could really go anywhere. I'd imagine that Marth is still in being the original lord and all, though since Ike is kinda the Radiant Hero and was a reoccuring guy in FE for like 2 or 3 games, even to the point of getting a descendant (like Chrom is to Marth) it wouldn't be totally out of the question to imagine that his established relevance could hold him over. But then since Chrom is the main lord of like the most popular FE game in some time, as well as the most relevent one at the time, I could see him with a solid chance. Also Lucina is much better left as an alt to Marth. I mean the two shared the same models and animations in Awakening if I remember right. So I could see: Marth & Ike, Marth & Chrom, hell maybe even Marth & Anna since she's like the only character to appear in almost every game. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how Sakurai decides to handle it

While Olimar is not the playable character in Pikmin 3, he's still relevant in that game - one of the underlying plots in P3 is figuring out what happened to him. As such, he's a universal face in the series.

Compare to Ike, who had to share top billing as well in his sequel, but got a single mention in the next new FE that wasn't DLC, and even that mention was just a Spotpass. Ike has nowhere near as much presence in FE as Olimar does in Pikmin.

But on the other hand, there's a few other things to consider.

1) Fire Emblem is a much larger series than Pikmin with many more games and each couple of games is set in a different timeline.  

2) Fire Emblem has a much much larger number of "main" characters comparative to Pikmin.  Pikmin has all of 5 main characters.  Fire Emblem there are 11 Lords and even more main characters.  Not to mention the number of other characters in the Fire Emblem franchise in general.

Point is it's much more difficult for a character to have as large an impact on a series that's so much larger.  Not to mention Ike is still a pretty popular character both in FE and in Smash.  

Because that would clog up too many spots for characters from other franchises? That third spot could go to another character.

I don't think 3 characters from the Nintendo franchise with the biggest and most developed cast is pushing it. 

I don't see why we're setting up arbitrary per-franchise limitations as long as each character offers something, especially when we're dealing with pure hypotheticals. While roster possibilities are obviously finite, there's no reason to think character X being in means they exist in place of potential character Y. That's how fan rosters on deviantArt memes are picked, but for the actual games, they're all judged on their own merits and it's more complicated than that.  

And yet the world of Akaneia has been revisited no less than 5 times - "Gaiden" was titled literally, as a side story to the Akaneia saga, Mystery of the Emblem gave Akaneia a retrek, BS Archanea (a set of 4 short episodic games made for the Sattelaview system for the Super Famicom that Intelligent Systems considers as a true installment of the FE series, and as such as the true FE6) exists, Genealogy of the Holy War is a distant prequel in what is to become Akaneia, and Awakening goes the opposite direction and takes place in what is Akaneia 2000 years later. It's true that FE does employ new stories and timelines, but IS always seems to come back to Akaneia and use it whenever it can.

Because of that, Marth is the true face of the series, taking up the mantle as the hero in 2 of the Akaneia games and as a mythological figure and inspiration in Awakening. If anyone can claim to have to have universal appeal, it's the original boy in blue.

Ike's games take place on the continent of Tellius, a continent that IS seemed particular to keep self-contained - the prologue for the Tellius story is all laid out in text given by Dghinsea, Volke, and the Herons. Tellius is the last continent remaining in Ike's world because Ashunera, God herself, couldn't keep her power in check over 800 years ago and flooded everything else. We get a happy ending to the Tellius saga in the bonus ending where Ashunera is restored over a millenia later, and Sephiran says the beorc and laguz are just then starting to fuel the flames of war once more, and Ashunera wants to step in and keep things under control. There really isn't a point in time in the Tellius saga where another game can be made within it, unless IS decides to pull an Awakening with this world and time.

But anyway, due to how connected the world of Tellius seemed to be within PoR and RD, I can't see Ike staying around as a Smash rep, since there's little room for exploration in that universe and thus little justification to use him now when Tellius's time was during Brawl's development, similar to how Elibe's time was during Melee's development. We keep coming back to Akaneia in some way, usually because Naga's still there and her conflict with the Earth Dragons and Dark Dragons is constantly given a new piece to the puzzle, so Marth has reason to be around and referred to. Awakening could get another game for its timeline, either a prequel or a sequel, depending on if you consider Future Past canon or if you think the conflict between Plegia and former Exalt of Ylisse is worth exploring (A game where you can play a kid Gangrel, working from the streets of Plegia to become the reigning monarch of the land at war with the religiously oppressive exalt that is Chrom's father? I'll take 10 copies.), so Chrom could possibly be in Smash due to that degree of a lack of closure for the Awakening saga (which would ironically give Smash two Akaneia representatives, lol). That's just how I view FE rep in Smash.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 3

Technically, neither was ROB.

ROB at least is a peripheral, and has also at least been in a video game prior to Brawl (Mario Kart DS namely).