Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Playable characters have trophies too, you know. It's entirely possible he's just trolling you guys right now.

I mean, after flat out denying ZSS was in the game moments before revealing her, I wouldn't put it past him.

You're sounding like a Ridley fan.

• Thumbs Up 6

An ideal TW101 rep would have been a tag team character so in that regard it doesn't have to deconfirm anything.

But whatever. I'm not holding my breath anymore.

That's disappointing.

Wonder Red and Little Mac were my two picks for Smash characters.

I guess one out of two isn't that bad...

Everyone I want is smash except for little mac is either an assist trophy or a trophy

There is an example in Smash history of a character revealed to be a trophy who was actually playable later too (Ganondorf in Melee)

But.. somehow I don't think that's the case this time.

I'm sad sad.png but I'm glad W101 has any rep in the game at all. Kinda hoping they get an Assist Trophy or Music track aswell, but my hopes aren't super high.

Either way.. for now, another one of my picks bites the dust :(

• Thumbs Up 5

Already got one of the songs that will be used for the Spirit Train stage.

I mean come on. lol

Gerudo Valley may have a song that is used in the Wii U version. Perhaps the Legend of Zelda Theme? That was one of the songs that was arranged we saw in the direct pic right? And then a non-remixed theme.( I mean my preferred pick was gonna be the Ballad of the Goddess remix, but that probably isn't likely.)

For reference, these are the Zelda songs we know are in

1.jpg

Oh, Saria's Song may be in the 3DS version actually!

Random thing I just noticed - Ballad of the Goddess' "Arrangement" tag is coloured red.  "Original" is coloured grey.  Notice though, that Ocarina of Time Medley - presumebly the one from Brawl, is also coloured grey.  So it seems new music is marked with red, while returning music, be it original from the game or an arrangement from a previous version of Smash, is marked with grey.

So basically the mini reveal we can deduce from this is that Saria's Song fans can look forward to a new remix, because if you squint that "Arrangement" most certainly looks red to me behind the info text box there.

The question is... what would he do? I mean, I haven't played the game... but I can see he sort've works with other heroes.

They made Olimar & Pikmin work.  Wonder Red could be even easier since he comes from a fighting focused game.

I couldn't even get that into Wonderful 101, but definitely deserves at least Assist Trophy rep.  Shame (unless this really is just some Sakurai teasing).

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the 7 main Wonderful 101 cast members are playable together in a tag team? I really hope that is what's happening, because I really want Wonderful 101 characters in this game...doesn't seem likely at this point though sad.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the 6 main Wonderful 101 cast members are playable together in a tag team? I really hope that is what's happening, because I really want Wonderful 101 characters in this game...doesn't seem likely at this point though sad.png

There are 7 main Wonderful Ones.  And honestly having that many characters on one character sounds like a recipe for disaster.  It would be insanely difficult to code and balance and you'd probably end up with 7 lacklastre characters as opposed to one good one.  Not to mention the fact that Sakurai already deconfirmed transforming characters, which is essentially what this idea is.

Unless you mean all of them together Ice Climbers style, which sounds even more impossible.

Nice to ser Nintendo really paying some respect to their 3rd party exclusive titles.

What's next, a trophy featuring characters from Bravely Defualt?

There are 7 main Wonderful Ones.  And honestly having that many characters on one character sounds like a recipe for disaster.  It would be insanely difficult to code and balance and you'd probably end up with 7 lacklastre characters as opposed to one good one.  Not to mention the fact that Sakurai already deconfirmed transforming characters, which is essentially what this idea is.

Unless you mean all of them together Ice Climbers style, which sounds even more impossible.

Yeah this if unfortunately true for the most part.

I'm sure they could make it work somehow, perhaps by not allowing the character to switch, just using the other Wonderful Ones as their special moves, or perhaps only switching them on an aesthetic level but they all have more or less identical movesets. I.e. B would be Wonder Red's Wonder Hand which would make the other 6 members appear as his fist, and down B would be Wonder Bomb which Wonder Black holds with the other 6 as his fist, but when they're doing regular moves the others aren't there or are "in their pocket" or something. They don't have to do a Pikmin/Ice Climber style thing with multiple characters following the lead.

However, that's just wishful thinking, I don't think it's going to happen, but I don't think it's impossible.

You're sounding like a Ridley fan.

That's cute. Did you actually have something other than this arrogant, baseless snark to contribute, or was flamebaiting your only intention?

Honestly, if it were up to me I'd just put Wonder Red in alone, and shove the others in via Final Smash ala Megaman if I had to. Even just focusing on Unite Hand alone could make for a pretty crazy melee-zoning type of character for all the reach it has, and you could probably make him part-grappler to boot. It's all kinds of fighting archetypes you rarely see together in a game like this, and it'd be interesting to see how they blend.

Not exactly holding my breath though. Sakurai is unpredictable as fuck, but it still wouldn't surprise me if he ruled out Red entirely.

Red's just a trophy? Oh well. Can't say I'm not disappointed, but I guess I'm not exactly surprised. At least there's always next time.

Ideal rep: Red, Blue and Green as a tag team. Not built around synchronization like Ice Climbers, but actually moving like one unit, just like in TW101. Normal attacks and Smash attacks are done by Red. Standard combo can be his Viewtiful Joe punches while his Smash attacks use Unite Hand. Neutral B uses Unite Gun as a projectile move. Sideways B uses Unite Sword as a Stinger. Up B uses the Rising move for aerial combos which can even be followed up by an aerial Stinger to extend the lack of horizontal recovery. Downwards B uses Cyclone, which in this game would act pretty much like Mario Tornado. Final Smash would be Mother Platinum. Assist Trophy can be Unite Hammer and Unite Bomb.

That shouldn't be too hard to do really.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ideal rep: Red, Blue and Green as a tag team. Not built around synchronization like Ice Climbers, but actually moving like one unit, just like in TW101. Normal attacks and Smash attacks are done by Red. Standard combo can be his Viewtiful Joe punches while his Smash attacks use Unite Hand. Neutral B uses Unite Gun as a projectile move. Sideways B uses Unite Sword as a Stinger. Up B uses the Rising move for aerial combos which can even be followed up by an aerial Stinger to extend the lack of horizontal recovery. Downwards B uses Cyclone, which in this game would act pretty much like Mario Tornado. Final Smash would be Mother Platinum. Assist Trophy can be Unite Hammer and Unite Bomb.

That shouldn't be too hard to do really.

I don't know, visual clarity is definitely a concern with a character like that. IIRC, readability is one of the reasons Olimar has 3 Pikmin now- and Pikmin are much smaller and less detailed than those characters. I can't imagine it'd be very easy to tell what's going on if you were playing with 4 Wonder teams at once, especially on the 3DS. And this is all assuming performance wouldn't be a problem. 

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, obviously, but there would probably be quite a few challenges involved. 

Kind of saddening that the W101 are just getting trophy representation, I know they're new but it still would've been nice to get them in.

There is an example in Smash history of a character revealed to be a trophy who was actually playable later too (Ganondorf in Melee)

Ganondorf was a last-minute clone of Captain Falcon and was included because they happened to have a model sitting around with similar proportions to him. They probably had no intention of actually making him playable at the time they showed his trophy

WONDER-EYES... TROPHY!

Disappointed to see that Wonder Red is merely going to be a trophy in this game - it would've been nice to see him as a playable newcomer or even an Assist Trophy - but hey, any W101 representation in Smash is fine by me really. It's a game that deserves recognition and hopefully a few people will see this, get curious about the game he's from, and give Platinum Games their money.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actualy, I'm with those that think Sakurai is trolling us, since the fact is that he proably have been an assist trophy if he wasn't playable since he is the newest Nintendo ip, same as Dillon. Reason why I have hope is because that model is FAR more detailed than the W101 one, as the models were realitively low res due to so many being on screen at the same time

Not saying its for sure, but I think he might be playable after all if ya take a look at him

^ Trophies have always featured a mix of copy-pasted game models and specially rendered ones for Smash Bros though.  His amount of detail doesn't really mean anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Wonder Red was going to be playable, they'd have announced him as a newcomer with a big reveal trailer.

If he was an Assist Trophy, they'd have shown him as an Assist Trophy pulling off whatever move he pulls off.

Sakurai has absolutely nothing to gain from "trolling" us by revealing him as a trophy first then doing a one-eighty later on. W101 really isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, and the game sold pretty terribly, so I don't know why he'd make such a big fuss over a relatively low-key character. Yeah, he's cool and I'd love to see him playable, but it's very unlikely.

If this was Ridley or something, maybe I'd believe there may be more to it than meets the eye. But Wonder Red? As much as I'd like to think otherwise... nah, he's not got a chance.

• Thumbs Up 2

I always thought the "Sakurai must be trolling" thing was a bit hard to swallow. You're basically banking on him to surprise everybody, and to be frank, it sounds a bit desperate. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I always thought the "Sakurai must be trolling" thing was a bit hard to swallow. You're basically banking on him to surprise everybody, and to be frank, it sounds a bit desperate. 

Well there are obvious times when he clearly is trolling. Palutena comes to mind pretty quickly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well there are obvious times when he clearly is trolling. Palutena comes to mind pretty quickly. 

Yeah, and I think the times he makes it obvious are among the only times he does it.

I don't think this is trolling.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sakurai loves trolling constantly. Its not of desperation, he literally is trolling on some issues. He's constantly trolling on Palutena and I'd say he is trolling on Ridley as well. Why is he trolling on Ridley? Because for everyone else, he openly comes out and admits they're either a boss or assist trophy or something else. But he knows a ton of people want Ridley to be playable, so he's teasing people about Ridley instead.

Now, look at the Direct. He trolled people about Zero Suit Samus being dropped. He also trolled people about Palutena AGAIN.

I don't think Sakurai announcing a character as a trophy OUTRIGHT debunks a character as being playable. That said, I do believe that is the case, and despite the Wonderful 101 being fairly popular I think its too new to make it into the game and I doubt Sakurai ever planned on any Wonderful 101 characters being playable in the first place.

Yeah, and I think the times he makes it obvious are among the only times he does it.

I don't think this is trolling.

Agree, I don't think this is trolling, either. Its fairly obvious when he's trolling and this isn't one of those times.

Although that said, I'm actually slightly disappointed a Wonderful 101 character isn't an Assist Trophy. I couldn't see them being playable, but I think it'd have been nice if they were at least Assist Trophies.

Sakurai loves trolling constantly. Its not of desperation, he literally is trolling on some issues. He's constantly trolling on Palutena and I'd say he is trolling on Ridley as well. Why is he trolling on Ridley? Because for everyone else, he openly comes out and admits they're either a boss or assist trophy or something else. But he knows a ton of people want Ridley to be playable, so he's teasing people about Ridley instead.

Now, look at the Direct. He trolled people about Zero Suit Samus being dropped. He also trolled people about Palutena AGAIN.

I don't think Sakurai announcing a character as a trophy OUTRIGHT debunks a character as being playable. That said, I do believe that is the case, and despite the Wonderful 101 being fairly popular I think its too new to make it into the game and I doubt Sakurai ever planned on any Wonderful 101 characters being playable in the first place.

God, can we stop using the term "trolling" like its early 2000s or some shit. 

Ok Palutena. I acknowledge there could be a genuine tease there. Whether or not he's "trolling" or just building suspense on Palutena or Ridley remains to actually be seen. I don't know if they're in, but I just think it's a bit desperate to cling to the idea just because the character's inclusion depends on it. 

And the Zero Suit Samus thing isn't a good comparison since he didn't create the months of suspense- instead, he revealed her two seconds later. Not sure what the point of the comparison is unless all you want to say is "Sakurai occasionally plays with the fan's expectations" to which I would respond "no shit." However just because he does this sometimes doesn't mean we should expect him to. 

• Thumbs Up 1