Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I assume the real reason for the differences is a combination of concealing the character's identity and, perhaps more significantly, making the silhouetted version look better.  Add in webs, pads, fins etc. and the whole figure might get a bit too busy close-up.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think Waluigi's absence has anything to do with being unable to come up with a moveset for him. The problem with Waluigi is he's an unimportant character in the Mario series. He's a recurring spinoff character, but that's all he's got to his name. Maybe if he starts appearing canonically in Mario or Wario games, then he could get promoted to playable (probably Wario more than Mario, he'd fit better in the WarioWare/Wario Land series).

Starfy would be a better example.

I was just going by Sakurai's words with him saying how he can't find much for him to do other than what he does as an assist trophy.

I was just going by Sakurai's words with him saying how he can't find much for him to do other than what he does as an assist trophy.

I... don't recall Sakurai saying that? I suppose I could see it, though. What could Waluigi do special that Mario, Luigi, and Wario already can't do? And Luigi isn't a good argument for Waluigi because Luigi is in due to his iconic status.

I... don't recall Sakurai saying that? I suppose I could see it, though. What could Waluigi do special that Mario, Luigi, and Wario already can't do? And Luigi isn't a good argument for Waluigi because Luigi is in due to his iconic status.

You've all prolly talked about this already, but is anyone else worried about the entire cast (including secrets) being revealed before launch with no spoiler tags whatsoever?

Because after Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, that seems to be a trend Nintendo are getting into now. Spoiling their own games' content before they launch.

Best to get the meat of the game revealed before launch to gain as many Day-1 purchases as possible from motivated consumers, than to let the internet discover everything on its own, but turn around and find they don't have the funds to buy it after already buying other hot-button titles a week prior. 

I like secret unlocks as much as the next person, but showing the whole hand before the game's out makes good business sense to me, especially for a game like Smash.

Considering the internet spoils pretty much everything within a week anyway, and I'm not really the type to run out and buy a game on launch day, I can't say it bothers me much personally. I'll know everything before I play either way, most likely.

Haha that's awesome, so not sure why he couldn't...

Now I'm trying to find the original comment about Waluigi and Sakurai, I'm sure it was on Twitter. It's pretty difficult, not even sure if I'd be able to but it might had been mentioned in this thread too.

You've all prolly talked about this already, but is anyone else worried about the entire cast (including secrets) being revealed before launch with no spoiler tags whatsoever?

Because after Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, that seems to be a trend Nintendo are getting into now. Spoiling their own games' content before they launch.

I honestly agree with Diogenes and Quash on this. We're going to know everything within a couple weeks anyway. I'd rather know who is in the game on launch and then later figure out how to unlock everyone. Personally I'm hoping the whole cast is revealed by E3.

It would have to be the first time - all the way up to Brawl they've always had the habit of keeping the secrets a secret, with only a few exceptions (namely Sonic and Snake, and only because they were practically the selling points). I find it hard to imagine Sakurai would break that precedent now despite that bawwing he did over Subspace's cutscenes.

Frankly I'm more worried that the fans won't shut up about it. But we know that's practically a given.

Honestly, I'd rather they kept a couple of them hidden since I actually think the surprise factor goes into my enjoyment of these games and if we just had everything revealed up front I probably wouldn't really enjoy the game as much already knowing all it has in store for me.

Show 'em all now. That's what I'd like. Granted, there is still that huge excitement of not knowing who or what could be in there!... but y'know, I would rather they show their picks for the roster this time.

Mostly because I see DLC characters potentially being a thing. If the game does enough. Y'never know.

1zdr9xv.jpg

Pic of the day. Members of the Enemies That Love to Hide Association, here are Octorok and Met. Calmly grab them while they're ducking.

Wonder if ETLHA will become a small meme now.

Would've gone with a Deku Scrub personally, but no major complaints.

I just now started to feel as though the veteran reveals are slowing down somewhat, so I took a quick check of the current roster size - 29 playables. For reference, Brawl had 39. No doubt they're holding back a few aces for E3 or somesuch, but I can't help but wonder how many characters they're settling on this time. You know, at least as far as launch is concerned.

Well we got 16 characters left to be in brawl that has no confirmation of the game yet, so you would think they would reveal at least this many before the 3DS version comes out? DLC is possible, I think DLC will mostly happen with veteran characters. Or some of them stay a secret until release day of 3ds version. I don't know, 

Hmm, I sure hope that a Sonic enemy will show up for Smash Run. I mean, perhaps I'm a bit spoiled by the comic crossover, but it seems kinda weird to have a Met there without a Motobug or Egg Pawn alongside it.

Yeah, it'd be cool to have some Motobugs and Egg Pawns around, too. We should also have a Sonic boss as well.

I am very excited for Smash Brothers. Definitely getting Wii U version along with Boom. I mean, we've got:

- CMS

- Final destination version of each stage,

- Better online,

-Normal Pokeballs and MasterBalls

-And tons of characters.

Plus did I mention that this game looks freakin gorgeous?

I am very excited for Smash Brothers 4. Definitely getting Wii U version along with Boom. I mean, we've got:

- CMS

- Final destination version of each stage,

- Better online,

-Normal Pokeballs and MasterBalls

-And tons of characters.

Plus did I mention that this game looks freakin gorgeous?

Whoops! Glitchy posting. :)

I hope just a very small amount of characters are saved for launch to be total surprises like Mr G&W was back on Melee.

Failing that, as long as not every Assist Trophy and map isn't spoiled before launch, I'll be happy.  Yoshi is my main, Sonic my second, and Luigi my third, and there's already a few new characters I want to try, so I'm set really.  At this point it's the modes and stages that are of highest interest for me, and thus I'd like to be surprised by a bit in the game and discover at my own pace.

Can't remember if it's been confirmed already or not, but a screenshot just posted by the Zelda UK Facebook page confirms (at least some) stages will have Final Destination iterations in the 3DS version as well as the Wii U one. Here's Gerudo Valley:

10246538_473292969470305_279500975237275

"Koume and Kotake cause havoc in Gerudo Valley in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS but when playing on the Final Destination version of the stage they are absent."

Can't remember if it's been confirmed already or not, but a screenshot just posted by the Zelda UK Facebook page confirms (at least some) stages will have Final Destination iterations in the 3DS version as well as the Wii U one. Here's Gerudo Valley:

10246538_473292969470305_279500975237275

"Koume and Kotake cause havoc in Gerudo Valley in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS but when playing on the Final Destination version of the stage they are absent."

Yeah that was posted almost immediately after the Direct as a Pic of the Day.

Yeah that was posted almost immediately after the Direct as a Pic of the Day.

Ah, I must have missed that one then! I think in the aftermath of the Direct I kinda stopped checking the pics of the day, I was already overloaded with all the new info :lol:

Me too, the two weeks after the direct were just pics that was from the direct.

I'd personally like to see a Spiker in Smash Run, since spike traps are present in-game and it would be a neat nod to have a fake spike trap like it and have it fire projectiles at unsuspecting players, but I know Spiker is rather niche and specific compared to Motobug, Buzzbomber, and Egg Pawn.

Or Sakurai can just troll everybody involved and bring in Slicers. 8P

Or better yet, don't bring in Sonic enemies. Every one of them can theoretically kill in a single hit since no one carries Rings in Smash, and if they keep Sonic enemies close to canon, we'll have a robotic legion of Ornes to deal with. It's as awesome as it is terrifying.

I'd personally like to see a Spiker in Smash Run, since spike traps are present in-game and it would be a neat nod to have a fake spike trap like it and have it fire projectiles at unsuspecting players, but I know Spiker is rather niche and specific compared to Motobug, Buzzbomber, and Egg Pawn.

Or Sakurai can just troll everybody involved and bring in Slicers. 8P

Or better yet, don't bring in Sonic enemies. Every one of them can theoretically kill in a single hit since no one carries Rings in Smash, and if they keep Sonic enemies close to canon, we'll have a robotic legion of Ornes to deal with. It's as awesome as it is terrifying.

That's... a horrible comparison. You're trying to argue the physics/gameplay of one franchise to another. Rings are just a replacement for health. Kremlings killed Donkey Kong in one hit in earlier games, too. Link has hearts in his early games, but Zelda enemies have been converted from dealing damage to health to dealing damage via knockback, like every single other enemy in the game.

No Smash Bros. enemies abide by the same rules as they appear in their original games, that doesn't stop them from appearing. And hell, Sonic doesn't lose all rings in every Sonic game, either, in some games he only loses some rings and in Sonic Chronicles everyone has their own health meters (same in Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle), so the argument falls completely flat.

It may have been a joke (I really don't know honestly), but its still a horribly flawed comparison.

• Thumbs Up 3