Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Hmm... mulling over it further, I think if I was in charge of Adventure Mode, I'd do it something like:

There is one stage per character.  Each stage is designed with that character's abilities in mind.

Each character has a "setlist" for when they play Adventure.  Their home stage is always somewhere along the way, unaltered.  The rest of the stages have platforms added where necessary to make sure it's possible for any character to beat it.

At the end of each stage is a fight with the character who owns the stage, sometimes with gimmicks, or a boss fight.

Perhaps it could be played in Standard Mode (each character has a set sequence of stages that is mostly from their franchise and similar franchises setting-wise) for the sake of time trials, but a Randomised mode could also be unlocked where, Classic Mode style, you play a sequence of random levels (your own character's stage is always included).

There could be other small randomised variables depending on difficulty setting and how far through the adventure you are (for example, platform size - platform amount - speed of moving hazards - amount of hazards - amount of solid platforms as oppose to passthrough platforms - frequency of "events" (such as say erupting volcanos or rising/falling acid).

So let's say each stage has 9 variations, with 1 being easiest (very few hazards and a lot of wide platforms, etc) and 9 being hardest (lots of hazards and few, tiny platforms).

Now as an example, let's say Adventure Mode consists of 10 stages for every character, and the difficulty variations increase in intensity every 2 stages.  On Very Easy, intensity starts at 1, on Very Hard, it starts at 5.

Bowser's Stage might be Bowser's 5th stage but Mario's 10th.

So on Very Easy Mode, Bowser's Stage is Intensity 3 for Bowser, but Intensity 5 for Mario.  Naturally stuff like how much damage hazards do still varies from difficulty, so playing a stage at 5 intensity as a last stage in Very Easy would still be easier than playing the same stage as a first stage on Very Hard.

On the randomised Adventure Mode, you could choose Intensity specifically as well as difficulty, so if you really wanna you can play every stage on 10 intensity from start to finish if you want to.  Only the "setlist" for each character would aim to gradually increase difficulty as you progress through the session.

Then finally there could be like, I dunno "Tour" Mode or something, where you play every single stage, not just 10, randomised - either all with their generic "all character" setup as your character of choice, or all with their character specific setups where you change character on each level.

...Did all that follow?  I kinda got carried away with game design fanficcing there.  This would prolly all be a lot more difficult to figure out for 9 intensity settings, especially platform placement, since that's a lot more subjective for deciding difficulty than just altering numbers for a detailed difficulty slider like that of Kid Icarus Uprising.  I feel it'd need 9 settings though, if you just had 5, you'd have to increase the difficulty throughout the session a lot less often.

EDIT: Altered from 10 intensities to 9, some stuff didn't make sense with 10 variations.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would like some character-specific "rival battles" in Classic Mode, preferably just before the fight with Master Hand. PSABR had the right idea in this respect, allowing some of the characters to interact a bit before fighting. While I'm not convinced we'd get a cutscene for every available match-up, I don't think a bit of interaction would hurt.

• Thumbs Up 2

It would be cool if there was taunting for loading screens actually.  Like everyone has some generic ones as well as some ones just for specific match-ups.  They could just be text-based with grunting so as to not be speechist towards characters who don't have voices (like Olimar) but yeah that'd be neat.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the subject of music, has anyone played Donkey Kong? Specifically, that original Donkey Kong remake for the Game Boy? I played and loved that game, and the Game Boy game had some cool tracks, and I would like to see these tunes from that game be remixed and used in one of the stages for the new Smash Bros game.

I'd love to see these tunes from that game to be remixed and put in this new game. Any thoughts about this?

• Thumbs Up 4

On the subject of music, has anyone played Donkey Kong? Specifically, that original Donkey Kong remake for the Game Boy? I played and loved that game, and the Game Boy game had some cool tracks, and I would like to see these tunes from that game be remixed and used in one of the stages for the new Smash Bros game.

I'd love to see these tunes from that game to be remixed and put in this new game. Any thoughts about this?

Fuck yes

The showdown at the tower in DK94' is one of the most jam packed gameboy songs I can remember. I really really do love that game's soundtrack full through and always wished it'd have a bit more representation in things. Never been a fan of the Mario vs DK games that came after this since they feel largely different to me, but I wish they'd give the original some spot light sometimes. Even having a stage from this game would blow my mind (3DS plz) haha.

On the same topic, I hope Game and Watch kinda dives into his Gallery games for music, because there's some super good ones hidden in those as well. I know they theme Mario and co, but it's still G&W at heart:

Fuck yes

The showdown at the tower in DK94' is one of the most jam packed gameboy songs I can remember. I really really do love that game's soundtrack full through and always wished it'd have a bit more representation in things. Never been a fan of the Mario vs DK games that came after this since they feel largely different to me, but I wish they'd give the original some spot light sometimes. Even having a stage from this game would blow my mind (3DS plz) haha.

On the same topic, I hope Game and Watch kinda dives into his Gallery games for music, because there's some super good ones hidden in those as well. I know they theme Mario and co, but it's still G&W at heart:

Never heard those until now. They are very, very good tracks there. I'd love to see those tunes be in the new Smash Bros in some way.

On the topic of SSE, my favorite part was actually The Great Maze, believe it or not, as it's basically a crappier Great Cave Offensive/Amazing Mirror. I'd love to see something like that polished up to good standard and integrated with Nintendo worlds and such. Seems like it would be a lot of fun.

Speaking of music that needs a remix, we need some Mario Vs. DK music. That game had some pretty good music, especially the Final Boss theme. Its really good

• Thumbs Up 1

2z9fgq8.jpg

Pic of the day. A size comparison of Lucario's standard special attack, Aura Sphere, in its weakest and strongest states. The attack is faster and more powerful when the Aura Sphere is bigger.

Max-power Aura Sphere did not have quite a speed buff in Brawl.

Also, more aesthetic differences for Aura Sphere in between installments. It now has pronounced areas of expelled energy at random points. Looks like Shadow Ball now.

• Thumbs Up 3

Holy CRAP that Aura Sphere is HUGE. Lucario looks like he's gonna be a force to be reckoned with, especially at high percents. It's gonna be a blast to play as him in this game.

Well the ball certainly got bigger.

Edit: just test it in brawl, the aura gets bigger when damage gets high. I didn't even realize this, I hardly play as lucario

Edit2: for the top pic would that be him not charging the aura sphere or its fully charged but he is barely damaged?

Edit2: for the top pic would that be him not charging the aura sphere or its fully charged but he is barely damaged?

Well, he said that the pic shows off the Aura Sphere in its weakest and strongest states, so it's reasonable to assume that the top one is uncharged.

The top pic would be it with Lucario 0%, tied stocks.

If the strongest state is as it was in Brawl, then that Aura Sphere is with Lucario 2 stocks behind, at around 150%.

Would be a real dick move if someone like Fox or Zelda were to reflect that shit.

...real dick move.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well THIS could be something:

I have no idea. RT @chafos if Sonic's in the next Smash game, then does that mean that you're assisting in the soundtrack?

https://twitter.com/crush40/status/430007067647041537

Pretty odd answer from Jun Senoue since you'd think 1) He would be if Sonic's already in it, and 2) He'd be hush hush about it.

Could be a fib, but I don't know.

If he really ISN'T, this would be really telling about the direction of the music, maybe Nintendo won't go so hog wild this time with the music, you know, after hiring 40-odd composers last time.

HAL single-handedly carried Melee's music and far better than Brawl's by a mile in my opinion, why shouldn't they this time?

Because the best Smash songs by a country mile were actually Brawl's Tunnel Scene remix and Lip's Theme remix, both of which were arranged by non-HAL composers, and I want to hear more music around that echelon of quality.

tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Because the best Smash songs by a country mile were actually Brawl's Tunnel Scene remix and Lip's Theme remix, both of which were arranged by non-HAL composers, and I want to hear more music around that echelon of quality.

Posted Image

Let's not forget that sweet Angel Island mix.
  • Thumbs Up 2

tongue.png

ho ho, I LOVED that remix of Lip's theme.

Anyway, glad to see the increase damage of aura sphere be more noticable, granted I knew it did get bigger in brawl, but not that big or at least I really couldn't tell at first glance.

that max powered aura sphere looks like it can eat up all other projectiles too.

Ohhh boy, Lucario is going to be a force to be reckoned with. God I love this furry Anubis dog dude!

Ahem, but yeah it is odd that Senoue-san has "no idea" about doing a song for SSB4. Maybe they hired somebody else from SEGA?

I hope this doesn't mean they've scrapped the 40+ composers entirely, because I love the remixes in Brawl! ;-; True there were still a lot of untouched songs (especially for Sonic) but I thought they might improve on that this time.

If the strongest state is as it was in Brawl, then that Aura Sphere is with Lucario 2 stocks behind, at around 150%.

Wait, stocks affect Lucario's aura? I thought it was just damage %. I swear I've never noticed a difference otherwise.

Lip's Theme was the best song in the game and it is criminal that it has to share space on My Music with like 6 other songs I like on Pictochat.

I hope the My Music lets us customise the soundtrack entirely this time for songs we'd rather put elsewhere.  Considering Panel De Pon's connection to Tetris Attack, and the way the visual design has stages based off the seasons, I felt Lip's Theme would have been more fitting as a possibility for Yoshi's Island SSBB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, stocks affect Lucario's aura? I thought it was just damage %. I swear I've never noticed a difference otherwise.

Competitive Brawl has a team set-up dubbed the "Anubis combo" for a reason. tongue.png

I recall a time where GW + Lucario and MK + Lucario were banned along with Double MK because of how ridiculous it was.

Anyway, it appears we do have some proof of characters changing over time now. One of the Lucario pics confirm it.

screen-4.jpg

Mega Man's posture seems to be the one he goes through for his Crash Bomber, but he's gritting his teeth here, while his mouth was closed in the trailer. And more obviously, his arm is not in its gun mode.

What's also peculiar is how the Crash Bomber itself is seemingly absent in the move here - maybe Mega Man can actually run out of energy for his moves for a time, like in the games, and the change in expression demonstrates it?

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic definately needs some better songs than what they gave us in Brawl, by that I mean all those Main themes and 1st level stage themes taking up space. 

For Mega Man, I hope they go beyond the Classic series for some songs, like Neo Arcadia and Spike Rosered which are some of my fav's.

For Mario I hope they take some more tunes from the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series, freaking Bowser's Inside Story Final Boss and Antasma's theme, and I may not like Sticker Star that much but I love Kamek's theme in that.

Koopa Bros. Theme, Rogueport, Superstar Saga Battle/Boss/Popple/Cackletta medley, Dark Bowser, Victory in the Dream World.

There, all the Mario RPG music we could need. And it would all be glorious.