Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

So, apparently Amazon (not sure which country) listed the game for an April 16th release in a recent update. That's strange...

So, apparently Amazon (not sure which country) listed the game for an April 16th release in a recent update. That's strange...

That's an error, I'm sure. I very much doubt they'll change the game's May 30th release date now - it's been too heavily publicised and everyone knows that's the date to look forward to.

Not that I'd complain about an earlier release - the Wii U could certainly do with it - but I just can't see it happening. It'll be Nintendo's last big gun before all of the juicy reveals at E3.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, this is the first time I've heard of the release date. ^^;; You can tell I haven't been paying TOO much attention to this. (I kind of want to go in somewhat spoiler-free)

I'm sad now.

Nintendo isn't gonna be at PAX this year from what I heard at Neogaf, which means no new demo of Mario Kart 8.

In a matter of fact, I don't think we gotten any Mk news this month at all except for the pics of Sunshine Airport on the Nintendo UK Twitter, a very dull month indeed.

2 pictures of Sunshine Airport

Again, this track looks super nice.

mk8track17.png

mk8track18.png

Wow... everything looks so nice and spacious... 

Seeing this makes me wonder how the retro tracks will be handled. Specifically, something like, say, Royal Raceway?

I'm pretty excited for this game, I should hope we get an official word on its release date soon.

Edited by JAiRO

Let's okay a guessing game; what tracks from previous instalments do you think will return (or would like to return)?

I think Coconut Mall from Wii might come back, and one of the Wuhu Island tracks are quite likely. I'm not really sure what my favourite track is in Wii or 7 (the only Mario Karts I own), so I can't really say what I'd like to see.

I want to see Wario stage from double dash to come back since that can work with the anti gravity gimmick

At this point, all I want to see return are the Royal Raceway, Wario Stadium and the MK64 Rainbow Road. They're (along with Yoshi Valley, but I'm meh with that one) the only Mario Kart 64 tracks that haven't been remade in some fashion yet, right?

While I wouldn't be pre-ordering this game [learnt some pre-order lessons from the past], will be getting it as early as possible and doubt that it will sell out, probably the opposite and have plenty of copies floating around since Mario Kart is one of Nintendo's highest selling games. Might be hard to get though depending on demand.

A theory of the mistaken date could be when the US eShop puts out Super Mario Kart since that is coming out in a couple of days time in the EU/AU Wii U eShop. It could also be a digital release date however the 30th May date has been announced since the Nintendo Direct and imagine that counts towards the digital version as well as the physical version.

Oh and that Sunshine Airport track reminds me of Scud Race for some reason so looking forward to racing that track.

As for returning tracks, well can't really think of any that might fit in [unless that description on the Mario Wiki for the city course is Koopa City] apart from a version of Rainbow Road. So far there doesn't seem to be a snowy stage in the game, if it is a retro course then it will be either Vanilla Lake [sNES], Frappe Snowland [N64], Snow Land [GBA], Sherbet Land [GC], DK Pass again for the 3rd time [DS] or DK Summit [Wii].

Wow... everything looks so nice and spacious... 

Seeing this makes me wonder how the retro tracks will be handled. Specifically, something like, say, Royal Raceway?

Have you not seen the ones they revealed so far? 

Let's just say that the Retro tracks look totally new, especially Tick-tock Clock and Grumble Volcano.

And Sports tape Sanic, they already used Coconut Mall in MK7 they ain't gonna use it again, not for this game anyway cause it's too soon.

Let's okay a guessing game; what tracks from previous instalments do you think will return (or would like to return)?

I think Coconut Mall from Wii might come back, and one of the Wuhu Island tracks are quite likely. I'm not really sure what my favourite track is in Wii or 7 (the only Mario Karts I own), so I can't really say what I'd like to see.

Coconut Mall already made a comeback in MK7, so you can guarantee it won't be coming back again in MK8.

I've said it time and time again throughout this topic, but the tracks I'm interested in seeing returning are first and foremost Royal Raceway, Yoshi Valley and Wario Stadium. Maybe a heavily redesigned Rainbow Road 64 seeing as the SNES one was in last time. 64 was my first MK game, and my favourite stages from it are the only ones yet to be recreated.

Oh and lets not forget returning items as well as returning tracks. Whatever happened to the Boo? It was awesome! Steal an item,temporarily turn invisible so you aren't harmed by any sort of obstacle (include off-road terrain) and opponents can't see you. In Super Circuit it unfairly hindered the first place driver by slowing them down and making them drop coins, but in the other games it was always fun. I don't know why they scrapped it in MKWii.

The Boo item wasn't really all that bad...there's nothing really unfair about its item stealing since you have random chance of stealing either a good item from people behind you or a terrible item from 1st, 2nd or 3rd place...it has no real negatives or positives(besides by passing terrain effects)so why they took it out is beyond me.

At this point, all I want to see return are the Royal Raceway, Wario Stadium and the MK64 Rainbow Road. They're (along with Yoshi Valley, but I'm meh with that one) the only Mario Kart 64 tracks that haven't been remade in some fashion yet, right?

Toad's Turnpike would be in with that as well. And we won't be getting more than three.

And as I've said numerous times, my theory is that by introducing SNES Rainbow Road, they are retiring SNES tracks from ever appearing in new Mario Karts again. Since there are only five tracks from the N64 left, they can either use three this game and two the next, or just include N64 Rainbow Road in this game [and by jove the anti-grav mechanic could make it a whole lot more interesting] and retire N64 tracks from ever appearing, leaving the least two desired tracks from the game from ever getting an update [unless they seriously consider DLC tracks].

My track guesses from 27 December [bolded were confirmed before date-were included to tally the total]

And so, my picks would be -

N64 - Wario Stadium / Yoshi Valley / Rainbow Road

GBA - Lakeside Park

GCN - Dry Dry Desert / Sherbet Land

DS - Cheep Cheep Beach / Tick-tock Clock

Wii - Moo Moo Meadows / Toad's Factory / Mario Circuit / Grumble Volcano

3DS - Melody Motorway / Piranha Pipe Pipeway / Wuhu Mountain Loop / DK Jungle

DK Jungle, Tick-Tock Clock and Grumble Volcano were all confirmed at a later Direct, and while I had guessed at a Mario Circuit returning, I'd chosen the wrong game it would be returning from. So Lakeside Park was removed from my guesses since GBA Mario Circuit had now been confirmed, and in Wii Mario Circuit's place was Daisy Circuit, since it was the only viable option left from my guesses.

I'd still like a "Rainbow Road Cup". Go all-out with the anti-gravity gimmick, and recreate 4 Rainbow Roads that would benefit the most with the anti-gravity - RR64 and RRDS would be prime examples - and bunch them together in the final cup. 

Yeah, Rainbow Cup exists, but that's a classic "Not So Fast, Bucko" moment. You go from the Rainbow Cup, up to the Rainbow Road Cup. Seller.

Aside from that, I want Yoshi's Valley to make a comeback, mainly because it's still the only track to have so many routes that you can't actually tell who's in what place. Imagine how much more awesome it would be if they added anti-gravity sections into the plethora of routes, and especially in the path leading to the rotating Yoshi Egg!

• Thumbs Up 1

I really want to see Maple Treeway again. Sure it was in Mario Kart 7, but that was kind of a waste when it would look SO much better here.

Rumour: Mario Kart 8 to support 4 players in Grand Prix

No confirmation of this yet, but it certainly sounds like a feature that many would welcome. And there's a new load of info scheduled to be released on Wednesday/Thursday so this could quite easily be a tidbit that's leaked out early...!

sounds like a partly dedicated direct to me, wish there was more though

4 Players in Grand Prix? They should've added it a long time ago, but thank God they're finally adding it, ugh. Well, assuming the rumor is true. Also hope the rumor about the Nintendo Direct this week is true.

4 Players in Grand Prix? They should've added it a long time ago, but thank God they're finally adding it, ugh. Well, assuming the rumor is true. Also hope the rumor about the Nintendo Direct this week is true.

Well besides Double Dash and Wii, they couldn't really add it anywhere else...

Rumour: Mario Kart 8 to support 4 players in Grand Prix

No confirmation of this yet, but it certainly sounds like a feature that many would welcome. And there's a new load of info scheduled to be released on Wednesday/Thursday so this could quite easily be a tidbit that's leaked out early...!

New information coming up soon? Makes me wonder whether we will have either a general Nintendo Direct or a one game-focused Direct just for MK8 in April. It's been a month and a half since the last one, and considering the general Nintendo Directs are usually broadcasted bimonthly I expect the next one to be announced soon.

Anyway, if the rumour is true I'll say 4 players in Grand Prix is certainly something to look forward! =)