Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Except for the fact that in MK7 there was no need to choose between the two since it essentially brought the two together?

In MKWii, I'd always go manual. Might be a wider turning circle, but at least the drift rectified that slightly. And the mini-turbo of course.

I feel that maybe they'd be better off doing MK7's way rather than MKWii's again, so at least that way you aren't restricted to one side of the turning/drift... ahem... circle.

I'd imagine there are both, MKW had both Wiimote and classic/nunchuck controls.

What did the manual/ automatic thing actually do? I thought I remembered something about automatic means you can't boost, but you have tighter turns...? Is that right?

I always used manual, my friend always used auto, and he won. Almost constantly.

Am I just awful?

What did the manual/ automatic thing actually do? I thought I remembered something about automatic means you can't boost, but you have tighter turns...? Is that right?

I always used manual, my friend always used auto, and he won. Almost constantly.

Am I just awful?

From my memory, the auto makes you drift without the need to hop whenever you start to make a corner while manual was the usual hop and drift thing. Personally, I could never really get used to automatic since it felt awkward and since I could already drift well anyway I thought it was pretty useless. Also, yeah it doesn't have mini turbos.

Are there traditional analog controls in this, or is it gimmick ones only?

It's confirmed to support Wii U GamePad (buttons), Wii U GamePad (gyro), Wiimote (with Wii Wheel if you so choose), and I think Wiimote + Nunchuk? Might be wrong on that last one.

But you can definitely use the buttons on the GamePad if you want traditional controls, yes. Probably the Pro Controller too.

Automatic - Turning steeply puts you into a semi-drift to take tighter corners, you can't hop and you can't boost.

Manual - You have to hop into a drift and time corners right since different vehicles had different handling, but you are rewarded with drift boosts. You can also Wheelie as bikes.

That was in Wii's case anyway.

That's good then, i was never really good with the motion controls in previous titles.

Its called manual cuz its the manly way to drift.

And ya know, boosting is pretty nice too. I wonder if the bikes will be balanced this time.....or was that the case in 7, I kinda skipped it on account of funds.

• Thumbs Up 1

And ya know, boosting is pretty nice too. I wonder if the bikes will be balanced this time.....or was that the case in 7, I kinda skipped it on account of funds.

Bikes weren't in MK7, funnily enough. Which is a shame really, because I'm sure we all wanted to see Biker Suit Honey Queen :P

Bikes are no longer broken...purely visual change and no broken advantages or non-balancing dis-advantages.

Am I just awful?

Manual Drifting and Automatic drifting...why anyone would really use automatic is beyond me. Automatically drifting feels so awkward and it just feels even harder to make turns than it should be...and no mini-turbo = bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, they took out Wheelies, well, not all the way.

Wheelies only happen when you use a Mushroom or go off a Boost Pad, in other words, their purely cosmetic this time. You can easily notice this in the trailers as characters ONLY do Wheelies when they use with Mushrooms.

It's unknown if the Inward Drift is back or not, through if it is, it will likely depend on you overall Drifting Stat for what Vehicle Body you choose as well as  the Wheels. Remember that they brought back MK7's Customization, so it's gonna depend on the stats of the vehicle parts and how strong they make Drifting.

Also Karts and Bikes aren't the only vehicle Body parts, their are also the Buggies too which are new to the series, they include the ATV off-roader like part and the Wiggler Body. Also we can tell in the official Artwork with Rosalina, that she and the other two princess will be using their Biker suits while riding Buggies too.

It's confirmed to support Wii U GamePad (buttons), Wii U GamePad (gyro), Wiimote (with Wii Wheel if you so choose), and I think Wiimote + Nunchuk? Might be wrong on that last one.

But you can definitely use the buttons on the GamePad if you want traditional controls, yes. Probably the Pro Controller too.

I recall someone using Wii Remote+nunchuk at the Nintendo Experience, so I think you're right. It was actually make favorite control scheme in MK Wii, might use it for 8 too then.

Does anyone know if the games for MCM Expo Birmingham have been confirmed?
If this game is there, it will seriously make my day.

Am I the only one who thinks that a Sonic DLC might be a possibility? Speaking I which, I think DLC in general would be a possibility. It just fits racing games so well.

I've had that same feeling about this game. They could do it. How awesome for sonic to be in this game.

But that's definitely not happening

My instinct is that it isn't possible, but then I remember that Sonic Lost World got Nintendo DLC, so, I'd say it's a toss up.  More unlikely than likely, though.

DLC in general is definitely possible though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't someone at Sumo hint something with "two old rivals going head to head" in a racing type game?

Didn't someone at Sumo hint something with "two old rivals going head to head" in a racing type game?

That was definitely a thing, but I don't believe it was ever made clear what it was referring to.

One change I hope but am fairly sure they won't implement for MK8 is to do with the unlockable customisable kart parts. I'm fine with them keeping to the "for every [x] number of coins you collect you get a new part" thing - although admittedly I would prefer a shop where you can spend your coins rather than reaching pre-determined milestones - but I really really wish they'd let you choose what part you get, or at least what kind of part you want. There's nothing more irritating when you're trying to unlock a certain kart body, for example, only to continually get wheels and gliders - with the milestones getting further and further apart the higher they get.

Or maybe compromise, don't let us have complete free choice over what we unlock, but have sort of "Tier 1" unlockables that you can choose from initially, and once you've reached all the milestones for those, you can move onto "Tier 2" unlockables and so on and so forth.

The whole random unlock thing isn't inherently bad, it's just a bit irritating when someone can unlock all the cool parts that you want within their first few milestones whereas you might be struggling right up to the bitter end and have to put in hours upon hours of playtime to unlock the same stuff.

What you're suggesting sounds a lot like the weapon system from Kid Icarus: Uprising.  There was a shop that would offer a random selection, the selection changed every time you played a game mode, and new weapons you unlocked would be added into the possible inventory once they became available.  Though that wasn't the only way you could get new weapons.

What I've been thinking about for some time now is that the actual coin collecting system could use some serious improvement.  In Mario Kart 7, the only modes I had access to that actually added to my coin count were the single player Grand Prix and online races.  Just making it so that any mode with coins in it adds to your overall count would be a significant improvement.  Maybe they could even add coin bonuses for doing well in certain modes, like for finishing a Grand Prix in the top three.

I was also thinking of a way they could enhance the in race coin collecting.  Basically, I figure that you could have a gauge that fills when you collect coins.  Filling the gauge improves your kart's performance, maxing out at ten coins.  The difference is that once the gauge is full, any extra coins you collect get banked.  Banked coins don't add to your kart's stats, but they can't be lost when you get hit.  This way, you can easily stockpile coins for unlocking parts.

I absolutely would love some way of 'banking' any extra coins, because there's been so many occasions in MK7 where I've had the maximum of 10 for 99% of the race only to get bombarded at the finish line and lose most of them. It's so annoying, because each race can take up a good 3 or 4 minutes and when you're actively seeking out the higher coin milestones - which can be up to 500 coins apart later on, which is (at best) 50 races with a perfect 10 coin total in each - it makes it needlessly annoying having to play again and again and again just for some randomised part that you might not even ever use.