Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I just hope there's no snaking in this. I know it hasn't really been around since Mario Kart DS but you never know!

It still uses the tightness of your drift to determine mini-turbo, rather than wiggling the stick, so I don't see how snaking can suddenly be back in.

I just hope there's no snaking in this. I know it hasn't really been around since Mario Kart DS but you never know!

Whats wrong with snaking? It adds a bit more to catching up besides shortcuts than just using items (though its hard as crap to pull off). 

The problem is that you pretty much had to use it if you wanted to even stand a chance, and it BREAKS controllers and handhelds. It's a good thing they removed it, really.

• Thumbs Up 3

Am I the only who thinks they wasted 7 slots by using all the Koopalings? I mean, they have nice designs and all, but still...they all feel way too similar to me for them to take up 7 whole slots. Why not cram them all into one character slot? Seeing them all squished in one kart with some hanging on to it, flapping in the wind would be funny. I hope they put Professor E. Gadd in...he would be cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been playing some Mario Kart 7 again to satisfy my hype for this game, and it's reminded me of one change I really hope they make for this new entry - the requirements needed to unlock things. MK7 is an absolute bitch in that regard. Want to unlock some extra characters (excluding Mii)? Better get your backside straight to 150cc then, because that's the way to get them. And the coin total thing for the kart parts... ugh. The boundaries become ridiculous and collecting coins can be a pain - there's nothing worse than having the maximum 10 all through a race only to be bombarded in the final seconds and lose them all. Why the limit of 10, anyway? That's my main gripe. Just makes things needlessly awkward.

I hope MK8 goes back to the old style of giving you something for every cup or two on every difficulty level. Gives you a sense of progression and a reason to play through 50cc and 100cc aside from preparing for 150cc.

I'm thinking about pre- ordering from Game to get the free wheel. Is the offer online only?

Dang, $65 for this game, and with tax will bring it up somewhere over 70.

Still getting it, I wanna wait for any possible bundles before pre-ording it

The problem is that you pretty much had to use it if you wanted to even stand a chance, and it BREAKS controllers and handhelds. It's a good thing they removed it, really.

it was worse in MKDS. It was too easy to do and yeah, if you wanted any chance on winning you better Snake all day. Not to mention you practically needed to do it in all the grand prix to get 3 stars. It's like Nintendo knew how bad it was in MKDS.

I personally don't mind getting a boost for the longer I hold a drift, not for jumping back and forth like an idiot the whole time. MKDS killed my fingers when I tried 3 star'ing all the grand prix

Slightly off topic, slightly on topic; Does SSMB have a Mariokart 7 community or whatever they're called? I would quite like to join. I know that the feature is returning in MK8, so hopefully I can race some of you in both games. :)

Slightly off topic, slightly on topic; Does SSMB have a Mariokart 7 community or whatever they're called? I would quite like to join. I know that the feature is returning in MK8, so hopefully I can race some of you in both games. smile.png

They do and unfortunately I don't have the number handy....but I jumped online not too long ago with my MK7 and the community (at least at that particular time) was dead.

It's a shame. The community was really active for some time. I hope, if communities return in 8, that we get some racing in again.

It's a shame. The community was really active for some time. I hope, if communities return in 8, that we get some racing in again.

Don't worry about that, in the very first trailer at E3 last year, the games Producer did said that they were bringing Back Communities again.

Shoot the game itself is feeling like a more complete Mario Kart 7 (cause MK7 was actually rushed cause of how poor the 3DS was doing at launch). Now if they bring back VS. Mode, possibly Mission mode back from MKDS, and more game modes for Battle like bringing back Shine Thief and Bob-Omb blast, I'll be one happy customer.

Please tell me that in MK7 they removed the automatic and manual option? I really don't want to see that ever again

How much space do you guys think this will need? I'm saving my £20 of eShop funds for this, and I'm wondering whether I'll need a new USB stick...

Please tell me that in MK7 they removed the automatic and manual option? I really don't want to see that ever again

For drifting, you mean? Yeah I'm pretty sure that wasn't a thing in MK7. Whether they bring it back for this one though remains to be seen as there'll be a greater focus again on motion control and a more casual multiplayer audience.

How much space do you guys think this will need? I'm saving my £20 of eShop funds for this, and I'm wondering whether I'll need a new USB stick...

I think it'll be a reasonably sized game, just going off those luscious visuals alone. I imagine the online modes and Mario Kart TV stuff will take up a fair bit of room too. The file size will be revealed nearer the time though, it's too early to say really.

Wait, whats wrong with the manual/automatic selection?

Wait, whats wrong with the manual/automatic selection?

There's no point to it all it does is cancels your drift I feel like anybody who uses it is at a disadvantage granted its optional so I really shouldn't be complaining but still

Shoot the game itself is feeling like a more complete Mario Kart 7 (cause MK7 was actually rushed cause of how poor the 3DS was doing at launch).

It's a good thing the Wii U doesn't have that problem, right?

We'll need an SSMB community when this comes out. By the way, have they said how many players you can have in an online race?

As an owner of the game, I can confirm auto and manual drifting options weren't in MK7. Gotta say I didn't care much about the manual automatic drift back in MK Wii though, always picked the automatic manual one.

EDIT: Urgh, my mistake! I remember the manual drifting back in MK Wii was the one that allowed you to hop and drift plus awarding you with mini-turbos just like in the other installments, not the automatic one. I got 'em mixed up... >_<

I think it'll be a reasonably sized game, just going off those luscious visuals alone. I imagine the online modes and Mario Kart TV stuff will take up a fair bit of room too. The file size will be revealed nearer the time though, it's too early to say really.

One thing is for sure, Nintendo tends to optimize their games' size, which at the same time makes their eShop versions easier to download. It's too early to tell indeed, but it'll be surprising if we find out the game's size is actually relatively smaller to what we initially would have expected.

We'll need an SSMB community when this comes out. By the way, have they said how many players you can have in an online race?

The online mode of MK Wii had 12 players to fit the maximum 12 characters participating on each course. MK8 seems to have 12 characters participating on the courses as well, so this should mean 12 players in its online mode too.

Edited by Kaabiitorori

They MIGHT bring back the Automatic and Manual Drift, I mean I see no real problem with it, especially with the use of the Gamepad and wii Remote/Wii Steering Wheel.