Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

I think the axiom stands here: dont judge a book by its cover

But the point of a trailer is to judge a game.

And that first trailer still makes the game look shit.

As horridly incorrect as that statement is, the first trailers always look underwhelming compared to the project closer to finish.

• Thumbs Up 4

My hype levels skyrocketed after seeing that trailer. The game looks so fun and fresh. November 22nd is going to be a really great day.

Also it seems that the Goomba disguise works by outright wearing a decapitated Goomba head. Dandy.

Mario shall wear the flesh of his enemies. That is the mark of a true warrior.

• Thumbs Up 8

As horridly incorrect as that statement is, the first trailers always look underwhelming compared to the project closer to finish.

Pretty much my sentiments, the first trailer made it look like a great follow-up to 3D Land but everything afterwards has skyrocketed it into one of the most gorgeous and fun-looking Nintendo games of all time.

• Thumbs Up 5

My thoughts on the trailer can be summarised as follows...

*ahem*

OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

November 29th needs to get here now. I absolutely have to have this game.

Yeah, I can't believe it either but I think this game might just be right up there with the Galaxy games in terms of greatness. Still missing the epic feel that Galaxy had, but that's really the only thing it's missing. 

This trailer pushed me from "Probably going to get a Wii U" to "I should get a Wii U", savings have begun. I'll try getting it early next year, but i'll likely play this before then through friend abuse.

So ummm...new video. You all will watch it and you all will enjoy it.

Now go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpIwcblsO_k

... You know, I didn't really need any more confirmation on this game's awesomeness. I mean, ever since its first trailer, when it came across as being little more than a "NSMBWii" version of Super Mario 3D Land, I was on board with it. It's Mario, I thought: it'd never be anything less than great.

With this trailer, though? This? Its purchase is pretty much a done deal now! It's a shame that it won't have online multiplayer, but I can deal with that. Oh, this Christmas season is gonna be most lovely! wub.png

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, nah.

I thought the game looked solid from the start, but with each trailer it looks better and better.

(English version of the trailer, BTW)

I agree.  I don't think Mario platformers have ever been 'shit'.  At their worst they've been bland, uncreative and dull but still remain consistent in terms of control and polish.  At their best however, they reinvent the genre and offer a masterclass platforming experience.  The E3 trailer can be argued to look underwhelming (I also feel it looked solid though.  Not spectacular or groundbreaking by any means but enjoyable enough).  But of course now the game looks phenomenal.    

• Thumbs Up 5

I never found one bland 3D Mario. 2D Marios recently have been suffering a lot of the staleness, but 3D ones have been good breaths of fresh air, even 3D Land was a nice take on Mario when you got to the special worlds.

Solid, yeah. Great? Wouldn't say so, personally.

Maybe not, but what game tips its full hand in the first trailer anyway? You can go back and look at Galaxy or Sunshine's first trailer and it's the same way; you get a little taste of the game, but nowhere near what the full game experience is like.

Considering the nature of Super Mario Galaxy, I'd assume people were more impressed by it's first trailer then SM3dW's. There's no real way you can make Galaxy look like a Mario Sunshine update, but SM3DW? You can make it look like a 3d Land with Co-op which is really the impression the first trailer put off. 

Edited by Ghostly Warp

Yeah, Galaxy's first trailer particularly had me hungering for more, whereas 3D World's first trailer didn't. Galaxy felt so new, whereas 3D World looked like 3D Land HD with Co-op. Either way, I know that's not the case and I think it looks incredible now!

I had a thought. What if Nintendo has used the trailers in this way on purpose?

Starting us off with a dull title, a trailer showing, as has been so elegantly put, Mario Land 3D HD with Co-op and A New Powerup in a very dull uncreative environment. "Oh great, it's the same old stuff."

Then they bring in the FUN bits. The dragon-ish boss thing. The rainy level. The cherries. "Wow, this started out looking like a rehash, but these new trailers and screenshots are much crazier and more varied!"

Our low expectations are suddenly blown away by this recent stuff!

I am curious if this was an intentional strategy. If so, at least they're aware of their recent lack of environment innovation.

To be honest, this new stuff doesn't seem to affect the gameplay too much from what I've seen. But gameplay wasn't the main problem anyway, environments were (by my reckoning), so that's fine by me.

Edited by Boondoggle

If that's the case, then that's very unwise of Nintendo; 3d Mario is known for its innovation in the platforming genre, and just repeating 3d Land's successes (which wont work on Wii U; 3d Land was impressive as it was the very first original 3d Mario tittle on a Nintendo handheld) just makes Nintendo look weak.

Besides, 3d World has proven with its new trailers that it will be a very fun, unique spin on home-console 3d Mario and the introduction of 4 player co-op, even if many find it to be a pointless addition, will make this game stand out (outside of Ratchet All 4 One, I cant think of a single 4-player co-op 3d platformer out there...).

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo doesn't really like showing incomplete projects for some reason.

It's possible they wanted to hold back the bigger mechanics and power ups until they were completed.

Nintendo doesn't really like showing incomplete projects for some reason.

It's possible they wanted to hold back the bigger mechanics and power ups until they were completed.

They said that they were nearly done developing the game when they revealed it, so it's not because of that. It's safe to assume that they just didn't want to show off everything at once.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

Imagine if Nintendo made a limited edition Wii U bundle of this game for the holiday season, I think it would really give the Wii U the big push it needs.

• Thumbs Up 2

96017_Enemy_7_.jpg

Why is Mario so shiny in this picture? He doesn't look like that anywhere else Oh wow I'm stupid, it's the rain isn't it?

That's actually a really great touch

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

It's because he's wet from the rain. (I wonder if he'll also look like that right after leaping out of water...?)

It wouldn't be the first time Mario stayed wet from jumping out of the water, I believe, so I'd say yes.