Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

I think for me it's the fact that it sounds like midi music.  Now granted this COULD be temporary.  Galaxy 2's launch trailer had midi music.

I'm not saying I want orchestra as in style, I just want the music to have a raw, chunky "live" sound to it.

For example:

THIS should be the staple for Mario's earth-bound adventures.

Hell even Sticker Star got this right if nothing else:

MIDI?

MIDI?!?!?!?

AHAHAHAHA shut up

Early... DS... game... music?

Okay, this brings me to my next point.

WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF MIDI

Thank you, Wikipedia. Now, let's see what the public's definition of MIDI is.

Sonic 4.

New Super Mario Bros. U.

Both used high-quality synthesizers that are relatively state-of-the-art (NSMBU anyway) - Korg Triton and Roland Fantom G. But hey, you're right - they did use midi! Oh, I'm sorry, that's because MIDI is just notation data, as in "Play this note here for this long". Almost all of my music is made with MIDI to some extent - it's just the plug-ins and synthesizer (Korg Triton, lul) I use that makes it sound relatively high-quality.

I'm getting too tired about this argument... But I'll just state one last point.

Pokemon X and Y, as far as I know, doesn't sound like early DS music. How common is it to find an orchestra in DS games, especially early ones? Heck, this was from a game released in 2010, and to call it orchestral would be to call canned tuna fresh from the sea.

Please stop throwing about musical terms - they're heavily inaccurate.

I'm too tired to actually make a decent post now.

Edited by Korg Triton Le

I think 3D World looks original enough honestly, I think it clearly has its own identity as a unique Mario game much like 3D Land itself did. I can understand and relate to qualms about the game not being as grand of a game as the Galaxy duology since the Wii U is a home console. But as for this game looking like a re-hash? I don't believe that one bit. Putting aside the fact that it's not looking up to Galaxy's scale, it looks like an absolutely fantastic title on its own, and it seems really fresh and new. With this alongside Smash 4, consider me pretty interested in getting a Wii U in the future.

• Thumbs Up 7

...I'm assuming all my music is underwhelming then?

Jokes aside, it... really saddens me to see this statement. I mean, making music isn't just pressing a few buttons and voila'ing, it requires a lot of effort when it comes to composition, arrangement and all that jazz. (pun not intended) Sure, I wouldn't blame you - They might have spoiled your expectations a bit. But still... Please don't tell me you can't appreciate anything but orchestral music? (On second thought, please do - I wouldn't want to know if you like mainstream synthpop music or not.) I, for one, appreciate this relatively minimal jazz style that's been sticking with Mario since 3D Land, and although I wouldn't mind a different style, (such as Galaxy's orchestral style) I like this style for what it is, period.

Really... is a huge orchestra really required for impressive music? Beautiful, beautiful things have been made with a piano and an amateur - ever heard of VizardJeffhog, for instance?

(also if you need an orchestra in your mario plz take Dream Team's main theme I don't need it)

Ain't saying nothing of the sort, mah boy. I can enjoy any kinds of music if it's good on the ears, which I'm sure this soundtrack will be. It's just remembering Galaxy's tracks booming while all the colors and shit were whisking through the stars... it was just magical. And it's not just a matter of the music, I just don't get that vibe from this game.

THAT SAID,

3D Land had consistently fantastic level design and I'm confident this won't fall short in that regard.

But I want my feels.

Edited by Iwata-Kong

Right, I understand that, Iwata-Kong - with the sheer difference in scale when it comes to instrumentation, it's obvious that Galaxy's music would have felt a bit more grand and booming, yeah.

Just... make sure it doesn't look like you're dissing the music because it's 'bad' or something, okay? Really mislead me with the initial post, ya know...

This game looks pretty rightegous. Unfortunately, the main grab for me is playable Peach and the Co-op, everything else just mostly looks the same from 3D Land. Not that that's a bad thing because I loved 3D Land, and a game similar to it is ok in my book.

Its not as grand as Galaxy sure, but I still think its gonna be a fun little game regardless. I'm intererested in the story this time, since Peach is playable Bowser can't be kidnapping her this time.

now bring on the fanart of catgirl peach

Is it me or is Peach shorter?

I would be SO fine with this if she becomes unlocked after.

Fuck guys, unique movesets?  I got pissed off over the NSMB2 nonsense but now I'll give it to you - yes Wario and Waluigi would be fantastic unlockables in this.

Oh, Jez, why would you want Waluigi when you can have Metal Mario!

• Thumbs Up 1

This really isn't on the scale of a true Galaxy successor in the aesthetics or design, and that contributed to my initial disappointment with the reveal. Cat Mario's kind of cool- being able to dash along, climb up things, and perform aerial attacks- but when you have a series on your hands known for reinventing the wheel, expectations always skyrocket. If nothing else, I immediately got NSMB vibes from it if only due to the art style, a series that I don't like: simply put, it's underwhelming to play alone and rage-inducing to play with friends. But what's staving off my writing-off of the game is the 3D element at play, as well as some of the screens and footage of the bosses and unique interactions with the dinosaurs. And who's the fairy character anyway? These things make it feel closer to a Galaxy for me, so at the very least my ears are perked. Overall, it seems to be sitting in a medium between NSMB and the bigger 3D Marios, which will probably mean it'll be fun. xP

I still think this is just a stop-gap to bulk up the U library with games that people want.

Look at that Mario, what a happy chappy he is here

ss2.jpg

He's just so happy to properly be in HD at long last

• Thumbs Up 4

Super Mario 3D World is to Mario U similar to Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD is to Zelda U.

These games are not meant to be the big successor in the franchise. It's most likely Mario 3D World is just a game out this holiday to get us ready for their next big game. It's a bridge from 2D, to a balance of both, to the final outcome of the next 3D Mario game. We just have to be patient until they're done with it, then they'll blow our minds.

2014 could become a great year. Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade 2, Smash Bros, Mario U (stretch but possible), Zelda U (stretch, but possible), etc.

MIDI?

MIDI?!?!?!?

AHAHAHAHA shut up

Instead of being smarmy about your superior knowledge perhaps you could just take the term as what we mean here which is "this music sounds like it is mimicking real instruments with pretend ones so why not just use real instruments".

The tune itself is great, they always make a fantastic theme every Mario game for sure, but it would be better coming out of a real big band instead of just emulating one.

• Thumbs Up 3

Instead of being smarmy about your superior knowledge perhaps you could just take the term as what we mean here which is "this music sounds like it is mimicking real instruments with pretend ones so why not just use real instruments".

The tune itself is great, they always make a fantastic theme every Mario game for sure, but it would be better coming out of a real big band instead of just emulating one.

...Wait, these aren't real instruments?

...Okay they kinda do sound unrealistic, but the saxophone sounds really, really convincing...

Edited by Korg Triton Le

Game looks great, dunno what people are disappointed about.

I mean really, if you expect Mario to constantly increase the scale and always shock you, you are guaranteed to be disappointed. It's just not a reasonable expectation.

But yeah I think this looks great; solid 3D gameplay, 4 player co-op, characters that aren't clones, SMB2 callbacks (among others), a cool new powerup, graphics and music are solid...this is a good game.

• Thumbs Up 6

Uh, something I just thought about

It hasn't been exactly confirmed that you can play as Luigi,Toad, or Peach in Single player...

I hope to god you can.

Were you able to play as different characters in NSMBU single player?

I admit I was slightly underwhelmed at first, but really, where else could the series have gone to be bigger than the Galaxy games?  And also there's always the chance Nintendo could re-release them in HD to help fill the line-up a bit, or even do a Galaxy 3 down the line.  Still, I'm pretty excited for the game, multiplayer in a 3D Mario is quite interesting.

Retro working on DKC:TF was infinitely more disappointing...and I loved the first one.

The more I rewatch the trailer the more I look at it and feel like they're hitting so many right buttons. This game looks fantastic, and while it may not have the "wow" factor of Galaxy or 64, it still looks like a fantastic game with a lot of love and thought into it.

3D Land was one of my favorite 3D Mario games, it balanced the entire formula of what a 3D Mario does when it truly takes from it's 2D roots. This looks like it's a big labor of love expanding and making massive playfields out of it which in some cases is the best possible evolution. Some of the new areas and enemies look creative and fun. I love how the art style is being handled, I love how they're taking cues from Mario World and Super Mario 2 USA which had some of the best ideas the franchise had ever come with. It's like it's taking what seems like a tired rehash and making it the anti-rehash.

Honestly I am absolutely in love. While I expected the next major 3D Mario to also have a sense of new creativity like in Galaxy, when those expectations sink in I honestly feel that as a whole, Galaxy was a lot less "free" then people remember it to be. It was a visual flair of linearity but still fantastically built linearity. 3D Land, and in turn this, looks to expand upon that.

If you're able to tell me that this game will have a bunch of world tropes that haven't been touched on before and a story that doesn't involve saving the Princess, this might just become something incredibly magical.

Yeah, I'm hyped.

• Thumbs Up 3

Don't know if anyone noticed, but it looks like red Toad is in this game as well

toad.jpg

Maybe there's an option to change Toad's color or something.

Uh, something I just thought about

It hasn't been exactly confirmed that you can play as Luigi,Toad, or Peach in Single player...

I hope to god you can.

Were you able to play as different characters in NSMBU single player?

At 1:19 in the trailer, Peach is being played in single player.

Edited by Person
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm also confused as to why people are disappointed.  No main series 3D Mario game has received a critic score of less than 90%.  They are the mark of platforming excellence.  Even 3D Land, whilst not the most innovative or groundbreaking game ever created was a very well crafted experience with impeccable control, lovely visuals and some pretty interesting level designs, power-ups and gimmicks.  It's not New Super Rehash Bros 65, it's the next 3D Mario in HD with actual co-op (you know, that thing people have been asking to be in 3D Mario games for YEARS).

Don't know if anyone noticed, but it looks like red Toad is in this game as well

toad.jpg

Maybe there's an option to change Toad's color or something.

And it's in single player..!

Unless it's part of a Gamepad Gimmick. But I dig this, hopefully we don't have to play as Mario. Considering they all have different controls this should all be left up to option.

Oh man, I hope I can use Classic Controller Pro with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Calling it now, the character select screen will be a HD recreation of this:

SMB2-Character-Selection-550x.jpg

Maybe 3D World is set in another dream... and maybe, just maybe... Wart?

• Thumbs Up 6

There was quite a lot of single player footage with the other characters, so a Peach-only playthrough is possible from the get-go.

This topic has gone on for almost five pages, and not one--NOT ONE--of y'all have pointed out the glorious return of my favorite Super Mario enemy of all time?

chuckjo.png

• Thumbs Up 3

This topic has gone on for almost five pages, and not one--NOT ONE--of y'all have pointed out the glorious return of my favorite Super Mario enemy of all time?

chuckjo.png

Okay I take back any reservations.

Well not really.

But Chargin Chuck is freakin epic.