Awoo.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii-U/Switch) - It's the cat's meow!

Nintendoga

Yeah, I'd happily buy a Wii U if I could fuck you guys over in the multiplayer.

My dream will never come true.

I admit, I was out of line. I am just sick of people wanting online shoved in every possible thing to ever exist these days. The time they waste on netcode could be used for making the game better. Mario isn't an online game, and it's not even close to be being multiplayer centric, so I see no issue with this at all. If Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. didn't have online, then yeah I would.

Edited by Super Mario
  • Thumbs Up 1

We live in a fucking age where people can connect with each other from hundreds of thousands of miles away (Hey, look, we're on a message board right now!) and suddenly it doesn't make sense to have online connectivity in a game that emphasizes multiplayer?

"Making the game better" is your excuse? Making the game online would be something to make it better! How does that detract from the game in any way shape or form?

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

We're in the age of online multiplayer. We've been in the age of online multiplayer for nearly a decade.

If it was hard/costly to implement, developers wouldn't bother with it. 

I admit, I was out of line. I am just sick of people wanting online shoved in every possible thing to ever exist these days. The time they waste on netcode could be used for making the game better. Mario isn't an online game, and it's not even close to be being multiplayer centric, so I see no issue with this at all. If Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. didn't have online, then yeah I would.

Multiplayer is actually a pretty big feature in this. And one I probably won't actually get to use since I don't really have anyone around IRL that's all that into Mario. Online would've been a pretty nice thing to have.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I knew this was coming, and still I'm pretty furious about it.

Fucking WHY Nintendo?

And how is that multiplayer is a big thing? It's the same deal as NSMB, it'll probably be WORSE in multiplayer just like NSMB. They throw it in because people complain about no multiplayer.

If you're just going to shit on multiplayer from the start you're poisoning the argument before it even begins.

I've seen nothing to the contrary about Mario series multiplayer, so I'm calling it as a I see it. I see the same thing, people can mess up your jumps because you bump off of each other, you can pick each other up and throw each other into gaps.

Say I want to play some Mario with my girlfriend and have a great time playing a simple, fun little game.

Say my girlfriend lives in London.

Whoops.

And how is that multiplayer is a big thing? It's the same deal as NSMB, it'll probably be WORSE in multiplayer just like NSMB. They throw it in because people complain about no multiplayer.

oh my god dude it's like the main advertising point of the game are you for real

• Thumbs Up 2

On the topic of the Cat Suit, why do I get the feeling this is going to spawn many Nyan Mario Videos?

But isn't that something people love about multiplayer? Screwing with your friends! I mean, if you're trying to go through the game normally, then yeah it'll get frustrating, but isn't that the fault of the PLAYERS, not the game itself?

I want to remind people that games are not designed as one goes along like a balancing act. Making a game is not a give-and-take thing, where if in the middle of development I want this stage, I need to take some people from the art department or something to get it done, which in turn will make the art suffer. No; Development happens in tandem with multiple departments who are all being guided by a design document, feedback, and other resources at the same time. Something huge like online multiplayer would not be something thrown in at the last minute at the expense of any existing time to polish the gameplay; rather, it would have been accounted for within the schedule by the producer and head designer before anyone even set about typing any code. This idea that including some feature means another one is definitely going to suffer is ludicrous and out of sync with how media like video games are actually developed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Say I want to play some Mario with my girlfriend and have a great time playing a simple, fun little game.

Say my girlfriend lives in London.

Whoops.

oh my god dude it's like the main advertising point of the game are you for real

Guess what? It was for NSMB Wii too, and no one liked it. I find it hypocritical.

Edited by Super Mario

On the topic of the Cat Suit, why do I get the feeling this is going to spawn many Nyan Mario Videos?

Maybe because he says "Nyan nyan" when he get it?

Guess what? It was for NSMB Wii too, and no one liked it.

You say that like it's a perfectly valid excuse for it to not be improved.

Are you seriously using "lol multiplayer sucks anyway" as your argument here?

• Thumbs Up 1

They didn't improve the multiplayer, look at the videos. So what is the point of online multiplayer if it's still the same mess anyway? How is that NOT a valid argument.

Oh well. Maybe next time.

To be fair SM, the game is very open and not restricted to the same faults of the NSMB series.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yet in the very same video you see tight corridors and 2D platforming sections. So the issue still remains with the whole bouncing off of each other hit detection thing. Now, they could have just done a DKCR and called it a day, and then I would be crying about not being able to play it online, but they didn't. Now, this is only "co-operative" mode, though. Do they still have that coin battle thing they had in Wii? That fits a lot better for multiplayer, and that actually is a shame that I can't hurl you sorry asses into a pit while we scramble for coins.

Frankly, all they would have to do is eliminate collision detection during jumps to make it awesome. Only have attacks and/or specific cooperative moves register, like in Rayman Origins or Battleblock Theater. Something as chaotic as single-screen co-op platforming needs that kind of leeway to prevent people from wanting to slam their friends' heads into a brick wall because said friends sent them into a pit.

They didn't improve the multiplayer, look at the videos. So what is the point of online multiplayer if it's still the same mess anyway? How is that NOT a valid argument.

Because if people didn't like it, they wouldn't keep add-

Oh wait, they're Nintendo, they do whatever the fuck they want.

Why is it such a fucking crime all of a sudden to want online multiplayer? All my irl friends are off at different colleges, and hate my guts anyways. All my friends are several states away from me. Hell some of them are in the UK. I'd love to try out Starfox 3D's multiplayer, but I can't. I'd love to try out this game's multiplayer, but I can't.

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 8

Guess what? It was for NSMB Wii too, and no one liked it. I find it hypocritical.

Try not speaking for everyone, 'k?

Frankly, all they would have to do is eliminate collision detection during jumps to make it awesome.

That...would be kind of weird in a 3D game. In 2D, sure, the characters just layer in the fake depth and it looks fine, but in 3D their models would actually be intersecting...