Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: E3 Topic; Footage; More info

Woun

You can only do so much for their story significance when you don't make them playable.

Amy had a significant role in SA2 despite being an NPC, Shahra & Merlina had significant roles despite being NPC's, Chip had a significant role despite being an NPC(till the last story anyway). Playability does not have any effect on story relevance. 

I mean, how in the world do Knuckles and Amy even get up there in the first place? The only logical reason I can think is that they'd hitch a ride on the Tornado, which will make their inevitably-lacking roles that much weirder. 

Or maybe Eggman built another elevator, I guess?...

You know, with all of the Colors business going on, I wouldn't be surprised if that was it, as well as him using his tractor beam to hold the planet in place.

I doubt they'll explain that, they'll just be there for...reasons.

Decent balancing? Which is what I'm expecting here, I know everyone else seems to be expecting the worse (for good reason) but hey, never hurts to be optimistic.

No, but there is such a thing as being realistic. 

Amy had a significant role in SA2 despite being an NPC, Shahra & Merlina had significant roles despite being NPC's, Chip had a significant role despite being an NPC(till the last story anyway). Playability does not have any effect on story relevance. 

Indeed, which is why I'm not going to write Knuckles and Amy off quite yet considering we know nothing of their roles. Who knows, it could be exactly like the significance of Amy's SA2 role or maybe less. I guess well get answers in the coming months.

No, but there is such a thing as being realistic.

I say expecting a decent role from two characters that the team when out of their way to include is in the realm of realism. :u

Edited by Soniman

I doubt they'll explain that, they'll just be there for...reasons.

You could literally just throw in "space elevator" and the explanation basically writes itself. Like, it's painfully obvious now how they could reasonably get up there without the Tornado. If Sega doesn't write it, I really am gonna be pissed. xP

I don't see what's so hard in going with the the Deadly Six kidnapping them. We're already getting another "Eggman gets usurped by a new villain".

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

You could literally just throw in "space elevator" and the explanation basically writes itself. Like, it's painfully obvious now how they could reasonably get up there without the Tornado. If Sega doesn't write it, I really am gonna be pissed. xP

They could at least at least acknowledge it for the sake of a joke. I mean all of the weird shit that happens and hardly anyone brings any attention to it.

I don't see what's so hard in going with the the Deadly Six kidnapping them. We're already getting another "Eggman gets usurped by a new villain".

You mean that same plot they did two years ago in Generations?

Why would the Deadly Six go down from their planet to Earth to kidnap Amy and Knuckles who don't seem to have much to do with the conflict involving them? It (sorta) makes sense with the Time Eater because he was being controlled by Eggman who I guess wanted to scatter them around to waste Sonic's time and potential man power. But why would completely lucid creatures have business with two characters who've done them no wrong?

Honestly, I do have to admit, the lack of other characters is not only disappointing but it also gives the new actors less of a role to play, honestly I would kill to have the 4kids cast back but that's not happening but these guy's could do greatly if they actually got more chances to act.

It's cool because Eggman loses before the game starts, not in the last chapter, which sets up a different story and allows for a different type of reversal, which I totally see coming and which will be completely awesome.

What I mean of course is that Eggman will backstab Sonic in the end, and it will make for an awesome final boss.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why would the Deadly Six go down from their planet to Earth to kidnap Amy and Knuckles who don't seem to have much to do with the conflict involving them? It (sorta) makes sense with the Time Eater because he was being controlled by Eggman who I guess wanted to scatter them around to waste Sonic's time and potential man power. But why would completely lucid creatures have business with two characters who've done them no wrong?

Well, the Little Animals in the trailer were clearly minding their own business until they showed up and (at least, Zazz) tried to harass them. Perhaps they're just a bunch of assholes?

It's cool because Eggman loses before the game starts, not in the last chapter, which sets up a different story and allows for a different type of reversal, which I totally see coming and which will be completely awesome.

What I mean of course is that Eggman will backstab Sonic in the end, and it will make for an awesome final boss.

Provided the game doesn't spend its time telling lame jokes at the cost of developing this twist.

VEDJ-F hasn't got the right link there. This is it. It's a bit difficult to find cause it's still live streaming. Just scroll back to 04:52.00 to find the Lost World segment. It's about 20 mins long.

Ah wicked.  Really enjoyed this overall.  Great gameplay (the best so far for sure) and Aaron Webber continues to be awesome.  <3 this man.  I dunno about you guys but I just find him a joy to listen to.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, the Little Animals in the trailer were clearly minding their own business until they showed up and (at least, Zazz) tried to harass them. Perhaps they're just a bunch of assholes?

True that. But the animals are on the planet already by way of Eggman's intervention. But, under the assumption that Knuckles and Amy got up there by way of the Deadly Six kidnapping them, well, I maintain that doesn't make sense in regards to the plot we already know. Why go all the way down to the planet to do that? Heck, if they're just assholes, you'd think they'd be causing chaos there instead if they were going to go through the trouble.

True that. But the animals are on the planet already by way of Eggman's intervention. But, under the assumption that Knuckles and Amy got up there by way of the Deadly Six kidnapping them, well, I maintain that doesn't make sense in regards to the plot we already know. Why go all the way down to the planet to do that? Heck, if they're just assholes, you'd think they'd be causing chaos there instead if they were going to go through the trouble.

Maybe Knuckles & Amy tried to stop Eggman from kidnapping those animals and ended up on the planet in the process. The Deadly Six just kidnapped them....just because they're there and Sonic & Tails investigate.

Maybe Knuckles & Amy tried to stop Eggman from kidnapping those animals and ended up on the planet in the process. The Deadly Six just kidnapped them....just because they're there and Sonic & Tails investigate.

That could work, although it would probably be the first time in the history of forever that Knuckles and Amy would be working together with just each other. Considering I don't feel like they're gonna be doing any trailblazing as far as the story is concerned, my money's either on "no explanation" or "space elevator."

Mainly because I just really like the space elevator excuse because it ties back into Colors in a meaningful way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm...

How about this?

Knuckles and Amy were doing god knows what, when the Deadly Six show up and kidnap them at the orders of Eggman. Sonic and Tails fly there to go help them, but Eggman shoots down the Tornado and goes out of his way to make sure they can't leave the planet. Eggman is the leader at this point, and the first boss will be against him. However, after he gets beaten, the Deadly Six start having second thoughts about his competence and additionally find out about his own intent to backstab them after he was done dealing with Sonic. Angry, they decide to turn against him and they throw him out of the wherever his base would be located on Planet Hex and assume control. Eggman is naturally pissed, and is forced to swallow his pride to ask Sonic and Tails for help. Naturally, since mechanical supplies are rather low on Planet Hex (the first two stages are composed of green hills and candy, I don't think there would be much building material available from those) and Tails can't fix the plane otherwise, they reluctantly join forces. They manage to find Knuckles and Amy aimlessly wandering around trying to find a way off the planet, and also deal with one of the Deadly Six.

Now to keep the story going and be more interesting than just "defeat the Deadly Six to get the means to get off the planet (or get control of his base again in Eggmans case), there's also another plot point about a great power at the center of the planet, which Eggman was originally planning to get for himself, but tries to (and ends up failing) to keep a secret from Sonic and Friends, so Eggman now tries to get all buddy-buddy with them so he can backstab them more easily later on, although the combination of his ego, snarking, and generally poor reputation around Sonic and Friends naturally complicate things. Simultaneously, the Deadly Six are still trying to get the power with the intent of getting rid of the Motley 5 (Sonic, Friends and Eggman) and perhaps try to go for becoming major villains themselves, although rampant egotism between the Deadly Six means that they are just as often at each others throats as they are at their enemies. There will also be a partial rivalry between Zazz and Sonic, Knuckles and Zavok, Amy and Zeena, and maybe Tails, Eggman and Zik (he has a wiseman's mustache, so obligatory super smart people rivalry).

Everything of course culminates in a big smorgasbord of a battle between Eggman, the Deadly Six, and Sonic and Friends, with the Deadly Six ending up being on the receiving end of the planet's power, sending them drifting into space on a tiny landmass, while Eggman temporarily re-assumes control until Sonic beats the crap out of him again. The day is saved, Tails repairs the Tornado, and Planet Hex is no longer under evil control.

Oh, and the end credits will show the Deadly Six floating into space, with Zazz going bonkers, until they crash into Orbot and Cubot. And then some asspull later, Orbot and Cubot make a makeshift booster to push the little landmass back towards Earth, where the Deadly Six from this point on become partial recurring villains.

...Well that was a mouthful.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to add: Eggman gets back from White Space due to Planet Hex's power, which only activates at random intervals. Eggman managed to cut a deal with the Deadly Six, who were unable to figure out how to get the power for themselves, and in exchange to help him defeat Sonic and Friends. This occurs before the actual game.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile
  • Thumbs Up 3

That could work, although it would probably be the first time in the history of forever that Knuckles and Amy would be working together with just each other. Considering I don't feel like they're gonna be doing any trailblazing as far as the story is concerned, my money's either on "no explanation" or "space elevator."

Mainly because I just really like the space elevator excuse because it ties back into Colors in a meaningful way. 

But then I'd be wondering where the hell the space elevator came from; it made sense in Colors because Eggman made it, but here...ya know, I'm probably thinking too much about this.

I'll just say everyone hitched a ride on the tornado and leave it at that.

Ugh, that GameSpot guy in the preview. He reminds me of that one friend that tries too hard and nobody really wants to be around but he's there anyway. Anyways... I still think the game looks solid. Really curious on how the double jump works, though. For some reason, I have a feeling it's A + the right trigger (run button) while in the air. Not really a fan of how it worked in Colors, mainly because I don't like it being the same button as the homing attack.

I'm pretty sure it's B to Jump and B twice to double jump.

And B + A to Homing Attack.

Oh another thing I love how charming some of Sonic's new animations are in this game (mind you Sonic's games have been consistently excellently animated since Unleashed).  There was already mention of the obvious ones like the peel out which we all saw straight away and his ball moves (jump, homing attack, spin dash) having more exaggerated stretch and squash to make them look more organic yet cartoony but also other stuff such as when he ran to the top of the taller trees.  Anyone notice he did a little standing pose on one foot.  And when he was hopping on the clouds not doing that larger jumps he did a rather dainty little leap.  It just looks like Sonic's having a lot of fun with what he's doing in the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic dances to a remix of 'Take on Me'

https://vine.co/v/blUWZJvhOqV

And this one been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2PxcwFnaPY

More people saying 'it's hard to get used to/control.'

lol...

Gamestop guy: Hey whats going on in this booth?

Sega guy: I have no idea...

To see this game getting nominated that number of times under 'Best of E3' made me form a surprised smile.

And it earned 'Best of Wii U' by Destructoid...heh.

Edited by TheChaosBlue

The game got Best of Wii U at Destructoid over DKCR2, SM3DW, and MK8. That's an outstanding achievement in my eye.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know this isn't the Sonic 1 android topic... but since most aren't checking that topic anymore and we're kinda posting Sonic E3 stuff in here...

I guess this is one way to promote a Sonic game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3hVdmCSeYs

That would be the Nyko booth showing Sonic 1 on android with those... ladies.

This one is more a tour of the Lost World booth if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB9Tv5eu84M

• Thumbs Up 1

You know... I been seeing people say it isn't to fast. I think its for the best. Even classic games, you don't see Sonic exploding through a game. I feel like the speed is similar to that of the adventure games. With that, it makes the game feel longer and explore more. I rather have that, then a unleashed / colors / generation game where you fly through the game in 5 hours.

Regardless im glad the game is getting nominated and what not.

Edited by Dead Master