Awoo.

Sony @ "E399" "It was the Summer of 2013... and we danced... how we danced"

Badnik Mechanic

I think that this is my issue with conferences like E3 in general. We get lost in the whole playground "who's gonna drop the megatons that have us all reeling" that we forget to the look at things logically. It seems like people are more impressed by HOW Sony did it (sticking it to MS) rather than WHAT they did, which was just do the decent thing that we all would have expected anyway.

But like with the DRM, 3rd parties were always going to be an issue for Nintendo. You're basically giving Sony praise for retaining the status quo. Meeting expectations isn't that exceptional.

Speaking as a Nintendo fan, the reason why people don't care about Nintendo not doing it is because Nintendo wouldn't even know HOW to go about this whole DRM business to begin with. This is the company that just found out Usernames were a thing. 

Meanwhile, not only did Sony straight up say they weren't doing it, they also called Microsoft out on all of their bullshit in one of the greatest E3 moments in history.

But like with the DRM, 3rd parties were always going to be an issue for Nintendo. You're basically giving Sony praise for retaining the status quo. Meeting expectations isn't that exceptional.

You're missing the point. We're not praising Sony just for maintaining the status quo, we're praising them for doing that and then mocking Microsoft for it. Basically, we love how ballsy they were about the whole thing.

Nintendo hasn't done shit like that since the nineties.

I think that this is my issue with conferences like E3 in general. We get lost in the whole playground "who's gonna drop the megatons that have us all reeling" that we forget to the look at things logically. It seems like people are more impressed by HOW Sony did it (sticking it to MS) rather than WHAT they did, which was just do the decent thing that we all would have expected anyway.

The how is just as important as the what dude.

I actually completely get where you're coming from here.

I mean they showed great stuff, but at the same time I feel like half of those games don't actually interest me and I just feel like Sony's conquered the universe because they put on a rockin' show.

IDK, I know I/m probably seeming like a fanboy dickhead here, but usually Sony games get me fuckin excited... Didn't really happen here once I stopped looking at the hustle and bustle. I mean The Order, Knack, and Second Son look cool, but I dunno, I feel like I should be far more excited than I actually am. It's weird. I dunno, maybe my interests are just shifting or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

So basically it doesn't matter that Sony just basically did what Nintendo did without praise because they put on a song and dance? I think it's a sad state in the world of gaming when we're impressed by how a company say they are not going to fuck us over.

Edit: Give them praise for showing games you like, but retaining consumer rights should never be a point of praise, regardless of how flashily they do it.

Edited by EuroMIX

So basically it doesn't matter that Sony just basically did what Nintendo did without praise because they put on a song and dance? I think it's a sad state in the world of gaming when we're impressed by how a company say they are not going to fuck us over.

Edit: Give them praise for showing games you like, but retaining consumer rights should never be a point of praise, regardless of how flashily they do it.

Sorry but you can't tell me what to do. I praised them for doing it because it felt like a release of happiness. As I said before, people were expecting Sony to put DRM in the console. I was even beginning to doubt them because it doesn't make sense why EA is putting titles on PS4. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I'm sorry that we don't think like you.

*raises hand*

Why not?

Look I get what you're trying to say with this... but the fact is, music, film and gaming was/is headding into the murky grey are to which there no global consensus on the issue.

One of the worlds largest companies which could benefit hugely from pulling a microsoft just took the side of the consumer.

Why should that not be praised?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not telling anyone what to do or feel, but I'd rather approach this logically than get excited because Sony did what's been the expected thing to do for decades.

Wow...so, looks like Sony learned from their faults at the start of the last console generation with the PS3 being too overpriced. And this isn't even going into M$'s massive screw up this gen.

Thank you for finally making it easy to get back on your train, Sony! Now I know you won't disappoint me like last time!

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

I actually completely get where you're coming from here.

I mean they showed great stuff, but at the same time I feel like half of those games don't actually interest me and I just feel like Sony's conquered the universe because they put on a rockin' show.

IDK, I know I/m probably seeming like a fanboy dickhead here, but usually Sony games get me fuckin excited... Didn't really happen here once I stopped looking at the hustle and bustle. I mean The Order, Knack, and Second Son look cool, but I dunno, I feel like I should be far more excited than I actually am. It's weird. I dunno, maybe my interests are just shifting or something.

Shall I visit the Nintendo thread and talk about how much I don't care about any of their stuff with about three exceptions?

Different markets. We think differently. Just leave it at that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even from a logical standpoint, this is a great moment for consumers everywhere. Microsoft attempted a power play and Sony smacked them for it. They call this a tactical play.

You're not thinking logically, you're being ignorant to the current events and the fears of the gaming culture.

Edited by Marco
  • Thumbs Up 3

The only gripe I have with Sony's presentation was the constant stuttering and freezing.

That said, Microsoft had it too, and of course, that's the problem with live demos and early builds, not only of the games, but the console itself.

Even my PS3 occasionally freezes up, and it's the Slim one too; and don't forget the fat one with its YLOD problem. But then again...

I can just see it on craigslist: "XBOX ONE DAY ONE EDITION - RROD'd - $300"

The only gripe I have with Sony's presentation was the constant stuttering and freezing.

I wish there was more Vita.

No price cut? I really want one. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see what's illogical by not getting caught in the hype of Sony confirming something that ought to go without saying anyway. The fact that we're even worried about it reflects badly on the current state of gaming as a whole.

Edited by EuroMIX

Lets not forget.... 1960's Batman in Arkham Origins.

I think we'll have to wait until Gamescom for really serious Vita news

That's for Gamescom, besides at least Sony gave the Vita some screen time with 3-5 minutes of gameplay/announcements of currently announced games and new ports like GOW HD and Flower coming to the Vita. 

I think that a price cuts coming toward the fall to fit alongside Killzone and Tearaway but I really hope for a price drop for the memory cards; there pricy :(

Oh yeah, and don't forget we can now get those quests done in playstation home for free stuff.

Shall I visit the Nintendo thread and talk about how much I don't care about any of their stuff with about three exceptions?

Sure, if that's how ya feel. Gaming preferences ain't no serious business to me. 

Sony usually excites me. My PS3 is easily my most played console these days, and PS2 prolly was the gen prior. The games here still seem pretty exciting overall, I'm just not completely hooked yet. Like I said, I realize I probably sound like a fanboy dickhead, so apologies for that.

To be honest, apart from Tearaway which we already knew before this conference and maybe FFX/X2 Remaster (still don't know which version I'm gonna get), there still isn't an upcoming Vita game I'm interested in...

That's the negative part of this conference for me really...

EDIT: AND NO RATCHET.

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune

I don't see what's illogical by not getting caught in the hype of Sony confirming something that ought to go without saying anyway. The fact that we're even worried about it reflects badly on the current state of gaming as a whole.

The only reason were worried about it is due to Microsoft being the ones to push for it.  Think about it; if third parties wanted DRM, then why was there third party games from Ubi and other third parties at the Sony conference?

It looks like Microsoft wanted money from used game sales and got support from other publishers (EA, Capcom, ect) to push forward with it.  Maybe it was a condition for their games being exclusive to the Xbone....

Edited by RK64

I am still skeptical about the Vita.

I felt betrayed with my PSP at a time when Sony promised more cross-platform communication between the PS3 and the PSP, and it was wasted. I will never forget when I first saw a concept video of Gran Turismo running on the TV with the PSP on top of it, showing the rear view mirror. I thought that was innovative, especially at a time before smartphones became the new it.

And now with touch screen tablets that can do much more than just pure gaming, the Vita comes off forced. So, until more word-of-mouth gets spread out and until Sony shows an experience with the Vita like I mentioned, I am going to stay vigilant about it.

And MS deserve all the hate they are getting for that. I'm glad Sony aren't jumping on that bandwagon, but I also refuse to jump on one where they are deserving of praise for not being as anti-consumer as MS.

Now if Sony introduced something like the ability to sell/trade your digital purchases, THAT would be something I would praise, especially since I don't think it's a precedented feature anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 2