Awoo.

Sony @ "E399" "It was the Summer of 2013... and we danced... how we danced"

Badnik Mechanic

I have serious doubts about whether Sony is doing this because they care about the gaming community as a whole and not just because they saw what a clusterfuck it turned out to be for Microsoft. The whole reason it's fishy is because they're getting praise for retaining current DRM policies while Microsoft is fucking up. It's not like they became even more open about their policies. And frankly, declaring the "console war" over (we're really still saying this exists?) this Gen. is cocky.

There just wasn't a game at the conference that made me want the console Day 1. The whole conference seemed better than last year but overall pretty mellow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still skeptical about the Vita.

I felt betrayed with my PSP at a time when Sony promised more cross-platform communication between the PS3 and the PSP, and it was wasted. I will never forget when I first saw a concept video of Gran Turismo running on the TV with the PSP on top of it, showing the rear view mirror. I thought that was innovative, especially at a time before smartphones became the new it.

And now with touch screen tablets that can do much more than just pure gaming, the Vita comes off forced. So, until more word-of-mouth gets spread out and until Sony shows an experience with the Vita like I mentioned, I am going to stay vigilant about it.

I bought a PSP many many years down the line. A 3000 in fact. Only reason was for Birth by Sleep, which may become pointless if Birth by Sleep gets ported to PS3.

I was skeptical considering the Vita was in a similar situation off the bat. HD games and high price point? I really want to hear something like a price drop and game bundles.

The only thing that bugs me is that none of the games in the section I saw seemed to be exclusives. I am aware Versus was meant to be a PS3 only deal, but I would not be surprised if either it, KH3 or both were actually multiplatform.

It is certainly the better multiplatform console so far anyway, but there doesn't seem to be -that- many big only on PS4 games. Other than uninteresting PS3 ones like Killzone and Infamous

The only thing that bugs me is that none of the games in the section I saw seemed to be exclusives. I am aware Versus was meant to be a PS3 only deal, but I would not be surprised if either it, KH3 or both were actually multiplatform.

It is certainly the better multiplatform console so far anyway, but there doesn't seem to be -that- many big only on PS4 games. Other than uninteresting PS3 ones like Killzone and Infamous

Versus seems like The Last Guardian at this point. I want it badly, but will we ever see it?

i see what you mean but i think the way they presented it was just astonishing

I would have to think that KH 3 would be an exclusive; the hd collection of KH 1 and Re:Com aren't coming to the 360 and the system is not known for its Japanize lineup.  I would be very surprised to see both it and FF XV on the Xbone, but at least it isn't impossible like last time as the Xbone has a Blueray Drive so they games could not span 10 disks.

Edited by RK64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-To7WJyWs

Here's the moment when shit hit the fan at Microsoft!

The moment when the PS4 trounced the Xbox One. Most one sided victory ever. I am definitely going to get a PS4.

Edited by Metal Gear -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I'm honestly still not sold on this.

Don't get me wrong, the announcements they made in regards to the console were brilliant. No DRM or used game blocking? That's something we needed to hear going into the next gen, especially since people were incredibly worried over the precedence that Microsoft put on. And that price point? Wow. Sony are going in hard on this, but it is a massive point of concern for me. If the PS4 doesn't take off, that massive loss they're selling it on will be crippling.

... But beyond that I'm still not shaking the feeling that it's nothing but a really well made box. The conference was almost the inverse to Microsoft's in a few aspects. In fact, I'd say Microsoft's presentation was better on the virtue of not being a drag, which is something Sony's conferences always seem to be. I'll give credit for Microsoft for at least trying to make things look interesting because it's something I've never felt Sony do, and it especially rings true with this conference where with the exception of Final Fantasy XV, which I'm still not expecting to live up to the hype, and Kingdom Hearts III, which at the current speed Square Enix take time developing might not be seen for at least another 4 years, there was not much "content-wise" to sell me.

I really want to want this console. It sounds like everything a gamer could want in a box. But I'm not seeing the content. There's nothing to push me over the edge here, in fact it reminds me of the Vita. It's promising to sell on it's ultimate hardware for a risky price point when what it has to offer isn't anything new or enticing for people who'd like to see the game content evolve rather than sit on what it's been predictably doing for so many years.

Hopefully I'll be willing to buy one come next year. But this was a very lukewarm conference for me.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well the overhype of this conference got the better of me. I wouldn't call it the best conference ever, but I did like it a hell lot more than Microsoft. In my eyes, MS is ruined by default because of their shitty console. Well time to get in line to buy me a PS4 along with all the other former MS fans, Oh hey here we are right now!

tumblr_mo7m7b4bMS1rwu8gjo1_400.gif

So Sony revealed an system that's just as ugly as the Xbone. Okay, they're even.

Then Sony decided to show off a load of new games with gameplay. Already miles ahead of Xbone at this point

And finally they displayed clearly how they're not shitting on the consumer. Xbox go home.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well the overhype of this conference got the better of me. I wouldn't call it the best conference ever, but I did like it a hell lot more than Microsoft. In my eyes, MS is ruined by default because of their shitty console. Well time to get in line to buy me a PS4 along with all the other former MS fans, Oh hey here we are right now!

Yeah. I personally think a lot of people thought too much of Sony's conference because of how bad Microsoft's was. Also the fact they didn't screw it up like last time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not sold on that video Vizard posted regarding used games, I bet publishers still have a large say in what they do about used games. Don't be surprised if they a new way to charge us like on-line passes. This goes for both Sony and Microsoft as publishers will Implement it on both systems, they won't do it for one system alone so we will see. sleep.png  

I am not saying I won't get a PS4 or a Xbox One (I have both a PS3 and 360). I need a year to let the dust settle before decide which one I will get first the exclusives aren't exactly influencing my decision either.   

Just caught up on the Sony Press Conference.

Impressed with the price, holiday release for US AND Europe, indie support and lack of MS's restrictions.

Not impressed with the lack of exclusive games and by them now requiring PS Plus for online multiplayer.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and I'm not impressed with the extreme lack of new PS Vita games.

Just caught up on the Sony Press Conference.

Impressed with the price, holiday release for US AND Europe, indie support and lack of MS's restrictions.

Not impressed with the lack of exclusive games and by them now requiring PS Plus for online multiplayer.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and I'm not impressed with the extreme lack of new PS Vita games.

Yeah nothing was revealed for the Vita at all. huh.png

And that price point? Wow. Sony are going in hard on this, but it is a massive point of concern for me. If the PS4 doesn't take off, that massive loss they're selling it on will be crippling.

I'm no expert in economics, but with the PS4 promising to be the exact opposite of the Xbone as far as the consumers go, I'm finding it hard not to see a decent boost for that alone. The price of it being cheaper than the Xbone is just icing on the cake. That being said, I know Sony's made some poor expectations in the past, so who knows?

Also, don't know if this has been shared, but I just wanted to join in on the gif-train. XD

tumblr_mo7mak5VNa1qew3c7o1_500.gif

Is this gif even working for you guys?!

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

The overhype may have gotten the better of me, but Sony does look like they're on the right track so far.

In addition to the Anti-consumer deals, I did like the Indie titles and support they have and the fact that they can publish their own titles. I'm not much of a fan of Square, but I can see why people would be excited. The Order looks fucking amazing, as well as Destiny.

People need to look past the fact that they shitted on Microsoft before calling the conference lukewarm because I remember being very interested in the titles I saw.

Microsoft's conference wasn't even that terrible. I'd say it was better than the ones from the past couple of years. It was boring and underwhelming more than anything. It didn't even really have Kinect games to novel at. Sony's conference seemed better than it was because it played to the mistakes that Microsoft's console reveal made. If Sony had revealed their console policies first there wouldn't have been as much of an uproar (see WiiU, that console that also has backwards compatibility and free online services). Mind you though, Sony's strategy was definitely a clever one. I know I won't buy a PS4 at launch simply because I feel that after Ninty's direct I'll feel more content with my WiiU (and even if this isn't the case I'd still rather wait for future price drops) but I'm definitely interested in getting a PS4 at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

The overhype may have gotten the better of me, but Sony does look like they're on the right track so far.

In addition to the Anti-consumer deals, I did like the Indie titles and support they have and the fact that they can publish their own titles. I'm not much of a fan of Square, but I can see why people would be excited. The Order looks fucking amazing, as well as Destiny.

People need to look past the fact that they shitted on Microsoft before calling the conference lukewarm because I remember being very interested in the titles I saw.

Damnit I wanna like this post but I can't...........I fully agree (although I think Versus looks awesome now that I've actually seen it). I also loved the Watch_Dogs gameplay they showed, it was way better then what they showed at Ubisoft's conference. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

I feel bad because I see a lot of people saying there wasn't anything too interesting for PS4 or just at the Sony thing in general, besides Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3, and yet I was flipping my shit for a lot of the games shown, ESPECIALLY the great (ACTUALLY) Indie game support they showed. Also a ton of the games they showed were bloody COLOURFUL! Whoa, right?! :3 The only iffy thing was paying for online multiplayer, but since PS+ is so awesome already, I planned to support it regardless of if it let me play online or not. Still BS that the online won't be free, don't get me wrong, but everything else with the system and PS+ is great already, so for me personally I don't really care.

They didn't announce LBP, Ratchet, God of War or any established franchise for PS4 this E3 but I bet all my money that these franchises will see day on PS4 eventually. Maybe even next year.

They didn't announce LBP, Ratchet, God of War or any established franchise for PS4 this E3 but I bet all my money that these franchises will see day on PS4 eventually. Maybe even next year.

LBP3 is PS3 and outsourced methinks.

It's obvious they're saving up a bunch of stuff for later events. We might see Guerrilla's non-killzone IP at Gamescom, Last Guardian at TGS, next Naughty Dog/Santa Monica game unveiled at the VGA awards... that kind of thing.

Tho if they're still going to use the God of War ip, I want a complete reboot with another mythology and main character.

Yeah I think I got caught up in the hype too. XD

The conference still didn't make me want to buy a PS Vita, the fact we have to pay for online now is...questionable and even though the PS4 is better priced than the Xbone I'm not buying it on release day. HOWEVER, I still think it was far better than Microsoft's. True Microsoft seemed to have more exclusives than Sony, but they didn't talk about the console and its capabilities much which I think was a huge mistake. Now Sony on the other hand, did talk about the console and basically pissed all over Microsoft.

It's already obvious to me which console is superior and which one I'll be buying in the future.

If the PS4 doesn't take off, that massive loss they're selling it on will be crippling.

Loss?

We don't know that for sure yet.

Apparently, industry estimates put the production cost of the PS4 at $275-325, so it might not necessarily result in a per-console loss like the PS3. In addition, unlike with the PS3, Sony didn't have to sink in billions of dollars into Cell BE R&D.

So then why would the XBone cost $100 more? Well, it might be M$ thinking they can get away with some lovely margins, and the billions they've sunk into Kinect R&D, which they now must recoup.